Georgia Theater Aug. 12 & 13

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Duke Silver

Re: Georgia Theater Aug. 12 & 13

Post by Duke Silver »

If any of you are Twitterers, @_3DimesDown is posting the occasional pic and song from the show.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

ramonz wrote:
ScottyC wrote:who else is sitting here hoping someone there is sober enough to post the songs as they play them?

Me.

Ok guys, what can we do. Friday night, wife and kids are in bed, no stream of the "face melter" tonight.....there's gotta be something we can do. Someone smarter (and sober-er) than me come up w/ some sort of DBT fun we can all play along to while our peeps soak up what will surely be an historic weekend.

Smitty?

Sorry man, I'm drinkin some cold beer & listenin to Gary Stewart's discography on shuffle...

I got nothing :(
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

She's Actin' Single, I'm Drinkin' Doubles?

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Apparently they've played Uncle Frank...and soundchecked Sandwiches for the Road.

edit: Playing 72 now...

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

ramonz wrote:She's Actin' Single, I'm Drinkin' Doubles?

you got it. can't beat Gary.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Duke, thanks for keeping us on track. Maybe I'll go put on Secret for the 73rd time - never gets old.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

how about a lyrics contest?

I don't know what I'm doing here, I could be some place else...

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Are we supposed to figure out who wrote what is in italics, without using the internets?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

ramonz wrote:Are we supposed to figure out who wrote what is in italics, without using the internets?

preferably :)

ah fuck it, I don't know if I can hang around that long... but I am bored as shit. If ya'll wanna participate, I'm down.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Ghost to Most now....apparently they're only tweeting the Cooley songs. :lol:

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

my interwebz connection keeps goin in & out... looks like I'll be outta here/

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

So what above all songs would you want to hear there tonight? Maybe something that you havent seen that you are chasing or just what you are feeling at the time? What about the one cover that you want to hear them try?

rockreid

Post by rockreid »

ScottyC wrote:So what above all songs would you want to hear there tonight? Maybe something that you havent seen that you are chasing or just what you are feeling at the time? What about the one cover that you want to hear them try?

That Smell

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

always wonder if they would do a LS song with all the connections, I wouldnt think so but you never know.

Personally I am chasing Rebels and want to hear Pin in NOLA.

rockreid

Post by rockreid »

ScottyC wrote:always wonder if they would do a LS song with all the connections, I wouldnt think so but you never know.

It's funny you say that. Of all the songs I've been lucky enough to catch which is about every one, but 'Rebels' is one that I've never seen.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

TFP version of Goode's Field Road for me. I think it smokes the BTCD version.

Just damn lucky, but got Rebels on my first show. Cat's Cradle, Carrboro NC, 2005....along w/ a few other rarities like Louisiana 1927, Southern Thing (w/ long intro), TVA, and Keep on Smilin'. Sheeeyat.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

ScottyC wrote:always wonder if they would do a LS song with all the connections, I wouldnt think so but you never know.

ya know they did "Gimme 3 Steps" & "Every Mothers Son"?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

so Happy Birthday Lisa, good evening Jim Beam...

BoomerIII

Post by BoomerIII »

Fourth Night of my drinking
Uncle Frank
Puttin' People On the Moon
Get Downtown
Ronnie and Neil
Highway 72
Dancin' Ricky
Sante Fe
Ghost to Most
Sandwiches for the Road
Women Without Whisky
Everybody Needs Love
Cartoon Gold
Box of Spiders
3DD
Dead Drunk and Naked
Guitar Man Upstairs
Sinkhole
Marry Me
World of Hurt
Encore
Zip City
Steve McQueen
Shut Up and Get on the Plane
Angels and Fuselage

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

"Sandwiches For the Road". Damn.

I love "Santa Fe". Glad they pulled it back out for Athens.

Shonna was on fire tonight.

Watchin' EZB fist-pound the beat of "Angels & Fuselage" out on that monster bass drum after the rest of the band has left the stage is a damn near perfect ending.

"Do it again tomorrow.."

lynne

Post by lynne »

Awesome set list! I am looking forward to the tape going up.
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

jdwolf

Post by jdwolf »

Kills me that I missed this show! Work sucks! Can't wait for tonight!!
I wasn't born in the south but I got here as soon as I could!!

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

Absolutely fantastic show! Great setlist. I couldn't have asked for a better way to celebrate a very special day in my life. Thanks DBT!

Good to briefly see friends. Sarah, Bill and Marina are wonderful! Emily is just as great in person as she is on here. Wish we could have spent more time hanging out. Swamp was WASTED.

And the Braves kicked butt! Goooood times!
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

and from the Centro-Matic set:

The show was amazing. Started with the best Centro-Matic set I've ever seen, which would have made for a great evening on it's own, and then DBT brought the house down with one of their best shows. Hot damn. The band came out rockin' from the start with Fourth Night and then a killer Uncle Frank which let us know that the dial was going to be set for 11 on the face melting scale. I mean, folks, Ronnie and Neil was song #5 for cryin' out loud. When they finally mellowed out it was with 72 featuring one of Cooley's best vocals of the night. Then it just kept coming. Sandwiches for the Road was killer and I don't care how many times they play Everybody Needs Love, I'll never tire of it. They've resurrected the soul of Eddie Hinton and taken it onto themselves. Beautiful. See and then the show ends with Shut Up and Get On The Plane and Angels & Fuselage, which is probably the best one/two punch to end a show in the history of rock. By the time Brad makes that last "thump" on the big bass drum you're emotionally spent. Yeah I liked this show a little bit. How they top it I have no idea but I can't wait for them to try tonight! Oh and the sound system at the Georgia Theater is impressive to say the least.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Oh how I yearned for y’all last night – I wished with all my heart that you all could have been standing right where I was.
Standing at the rail in front Patterson Hood when the Drive-By Truckers took the stage last night was like Billy Bob Thornton and John Cusack taking on the full wake turbulence of a 747 in Pushing Tin. I felt like the dude in the old Maxell advertisement.
The room wasn’t just vibrating, it had us all levitating. The theater is beautiful and the lighting was exquisite – all reds and blues. I kept pressing my body up against the wood railing because I could feel every single beat of Brad’s drum and every lick of Shonna’s bass coursing through my chest and expanding through every single chakra. Although I haven’t had an illegal drug in almost 21 years, it reminded me of being totally blessed out on ecstasy, acid and coke and being able to feel every single solitary note by laying your hands on the monitor, closing your eyes and letting the rhythm possess you.
The combination of the new sound system at the Georgia Theater and Matt D.’s wizardry combined to provide us with the best sound I have ever heard at a Truckers show – EVER, ever, ever. I do not possess the vocabulary to begin to try to describe to you how incredibly clear and perfect the sound was last night.
I imagined myself climbing into the groove on one of the band’s vinyl albums, curling up in the fetal position and being literally absorbed into the notes. I swear to God, there was some serious channeling of musician’s past last night…When I turned my ear to Neff; I was back in my Pappaw’s lap, curled up watching Hee Haw with my little pajama feet stuck in the pockets of his overalls, with John Hughey’s crying pedal steel soothing me to sleep. The stage at the Georgia Theater is quite tall and I’m quite short, so I couldn’t see Jay over Patterson’s monitor – so I really cannot confirm or deny that whether or not Jerry Lee slipped in beside Jay on that bench and brought us all a little boogie.
It was one of those nights where you can hear colors and touch sounds, ya know?
Please allow me to circle back and tip my hat to the one-and-only supersonic Centro-Matic. Damn y’all. Damn. I know that it doesn’t matter what a singer looks like and looks have no place in a music review, but I just have to share this (and dear Lord, fingers crossed, I hope he doesn’t take offense…) but when I look at Will Johnson, I can just see this wizened old mountain man, walking down a fern-laden trail, wearing tattered overalls and toting a worn bible in one hand and a jar of Strychnine in the other. He stops and sniffs the air, like a startled deer…those piercing blue eyes sending shivers down your spine like a natural mountain spring, bubbling up out of the Ozarks and collecting in a wintry pool. But then he opens his mouth and this other-worldly futuristic plaintive, aching, lamenting melody comes out, wrapped in the most profound lyrics – and then – if that weren’t enough, Scott Danbom eases in and gilds Johnson’s notes with haunting, delicate harmony. Jesus H. This is a thing of unparalleled beauty.
So – back to the RAWK show at hand…I just get such a soul-filling, childlike joy from watching the Truckers do their thang. I love watching them watch each other and look up at the balcony and feel the love come washing back at ‘em. I love watching Cooley get his swagger on and Patterson stomp and grin. Night one was a back-breaking, foot-stomping, Pentecostal, whooping & hollering roller-coaster ride of rock and roll. I’m ready to do it again. How ‘bout y’all?
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

Late4Church
Location: I'll meet you at the bottom if there really is one...

Post by Late4Church »

Excellent review Lurleen that was amazing in so many ways.I was brought to tears on a few occasions, and others I was teeth gritting in all out pissed off rock and roll fury. Sinkhole tends to do that to this plow boy from West Tennessee. Bring on night two!

bigblockdodge

Post by bigblockdodge »

Looking for one ticket for tonight if anyone has an extra - shoot me a PM -

Nevermind, rain dog hooked me up
Last edited by bigblockdodge on Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Late4Church wrote:Excellent review Lurleen that was amazing in so many ways.I was brought to tears on a few occasions, and others I was teeth gritting in all out pissed off rock and roll fury. Sinkhole tends to do that to this plow boy from West Tennessee. Bring on night two!

I love that a plow boy from West Tennessee can cry at the beauty of rock and roll. That's good stuff. Good stuff, sir.
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Lurleen, that was an incredible review of what musta been an awesome show. I mean I could actually visualize being in a fetal position on a vinyl groove. Wish I was there, but your fine words sure did bring me closer.

p.s. I'm listening to Centro-Matic from Austin City Limits right now.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

jdwolf

Post by jdwolf »

WOW Lureen! That just took my breath away! I'm so excited to see & hear it all tonight!!!!
I wasn't born in the south but I got here as soon as I could!!