dbt tracks # 53 - Decoration Day

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: dbt tracks # 53 - Decoration Day

Post by beantownbubba »

I was surprised by the interpretations that the narrator was beaten by his father, but i find it very interesting and freshens up the song for many more listens :)

I tend to agree w/ gerg's interpretation of that one and I most definitely agree w/ his comments about the narrator being intensely loyal to his family just because that's the way it is and always has been, while still understanding how futile the whole thing is.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Marry Me is, IMO, the best song on Decoration Day and possibly the best song the band has recorded (apologies to Living Bubba). That song blew me away on first listen in a way that few (if any) songs ever had.

Heathens is a phenomenal song, but on an album that I think was the best album of the 00's, there are a good 6 songs that are even better. It's not a slag to Heathens so much as it is an endorsement to the brilliance of that album.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I don't think he's loyal to his family at all. I think he was born into a family feud and no one knows why they're fighting anymore. Every time he tried to talk his daddy out of fighting, he got his ass beat. He lived in fear, and now he lives in bitterness. He hates his family and he even says that if he was on the other side, he'd fight everyone in his family till the end.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Now I said, "they ain't give us trouble no more
that we ain't brought down on ourselves"
But a chain on my back and my ear to the floor
and I'll send all the Hill Boys to hell.

It's a beat down. His dad hates the Hills.
To even suggest the Hills might not be in the wrong
is enough reason to beat him till he agrees.
This is the deep south yall! You don't go against
family in a feud.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

mwh

Post by mwh »

beantownbubba wrote:I tend to agree w/ gerg's interpretation of that one and I most definitely agree w/ his comments about the narrator being intensely loyal to his family just because that's the way it is and always has been, while still understanding how futile the whole thing is.

Maybe he's stuck in this situation because he's the only one his dad has left. He has dead brothers everywhere and his dad had no one to fall on but him. No matter how stupid or futile he thinks this is, it would be hard to leave your dad alone in it.

gerg

Post by gerg »

mwh wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:I tend to agree w/ gerg's interpretation of that one and I most definitely agree w/ his comments about the narrator being intensely loyal to his family just because that's the way it is and always has been, while still understanding how futile the whole thing is.

Maybe he's stuck in this situation because he's the only one his dad has left. He has dead brothers everywhere and his dad had no one to fall on but him. No matter how stupid or futile he thinks this is, it would be hard to leave your dad alone in it.

Yep. Loyalty.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

gerg wrote:
mwh wrote:

Yep. Loyalty.

Loyalty like a beaten wife is loyal to her husband

kendix

Post by kendix »

bovine knievel wrote:i always thought this would make a great movie.

Jeff Nichols (brother of Ben from Lucero) wrote and directed a movie called "Shotgun Stories" that he said was loosely inspired by this song.
I'll write you a letter tomorrow. Tonight I can't hold a pen.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:
gerg wrote:
mwh wrote:

Yep. Loyalty.

Loyalty like a beaten wife is loyal to her husband

Nope. Loyalty DESPITE being beaten (if the beaten part is right), and not out of fear. Loyalty DESPITE knowing the feud is pointless. Loyalty DESPITE wishing he could just leave it all behind. Call it family. Call it loyalty. Call it pigheadedness. Call it what you will but to me, at least, it's very recognizable and very real and very honorable in its way. Also a sad waste, and tragic to the extent that this apparently good man can't escape his milieu, but that's another story for another song.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

beantownbubba wrote:
Zip City wrote:Loyalty like a beaten wife is loyal to her husband

Nope. Loyalty DESPITE being beaten (if the beaten part is right), and not out of fear. Loyalty DESPITE knowing the feud is pointless. Loyalty DESPITE wishing he could just leave it all behind. Call it family. Call it loyalty. Call it pigheadedness. Call it what you will but to me, at least, it's very recognizable and very real and very honorable in its way. Also a sad waste, and tragic to the extent that this apparently good man can't escape his milieu, but that's another story for another song.

I agree with Zip - loyalty by oppression - although he knew the feud was wrong and questioned it, he was beaten (pretty sure it's not a metaphor) and to avoid his daddy's wrath he went along with it - he completely resents his dad, for all his dad put him through (the beatings, the deaths of his brother, a meaningless feud, ultimately his dad's own death), and now that his dad's gone, he tries to put it all behind him (not taking his family to see his dad's grave/rolling a stone) but he can't escape it (Keeping me down boy won't keep me away - in early versions it was "keep you away"). There is familial love there though, as evidenced with the I know the caliber in daddy's chest, I know what Holland Hill drives line - no reason to say that unless he's considered avenging his daddy's murder.

It could be a parable for the way racism (or hate in general) is passed down from generation to generation; not saying jason meant it that way, but it does work on that level.

Oh did I mention the false-ending and coda is a motherfucker?
*air drums into air guitar*
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Smitty wrote:Oh did I mention the false-ending and coda is a motherfucker?
*air drums into air guitar*

Of all the DBT-era Jason songs, I would be that DD is the one Cooley and Patterson miss playing the most.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

DD, Never Gonna Change, and maybe John Henry are the only JI songs I really consider DBT songs. The others, good as they are, are basically Jason solo songs that happen to feature DBT as the backing band.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Tyler wrote:DD, Never Gonna Change, and maybe John Henry are the only JI songs I really consider DBT songs. The others, good as they are, are basically Jason solo songs that happen to feature DBT as the backing band.

That's an interesting take. I see what you're saying...other than the songs you mentioned, you don't really see the band's personality come through in Jason's songs (good as they are) the way you do on Patterson's and Cooley's.

I think you have to include Outfit as a "DBT" song, though, if only because of Cooley's killer solo at the end.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Iowan wrote:Decoration Day is one of the 5 best songs on the album. Heathens is not.

Your street cred is rapidly diminishing.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tyler wrote:DD, Never Gonna Change, and maybe John Henry are the only JI songs I really consider DBT songs. The others, good as they are, are basically Jason solo songs that happen to feature DBT as the backing band.

you could say that Heathens is just a solo Patterson song, or Loaded Gun is a solo Cooley song. It's a weird take on things

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Didn't say the other two never did 'solo' material, but I think Jason did it a lot more often.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

cortez the killer wrote:
Iowan wrote:Decoration Day is one of the 5 best songs on the album. Heathens is not.

Reread my following statements. I stand by my assertion, and lay out a reasonable explanation.

cortez the killer

Iowan wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

Reread my following statements. I stand by my assertion, and lay out a reasonable explanation.

- DPM

Sub

Post by Sub »

I'll say something a little more controversial then that...

I never got into Marry Me half as much as everyone else around here, it just feels generic to me.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Sub wrote:I'll say something a little more controversial then that...

I never got into Marry Me half as much as everyone else around here, it just feels generic to me.

I've seen it take a Truckers show to the next level on at least one occasion. As in, it was taking them a while to hit their stride but once they unleashed "Marry Me" they were clearly firing on all cylinders.

cortez the killer

I like "Marry Me" a lot. However, I'd place it in the bottom half of songs on Decoration Day.
- DPM

Sub

Post by Sub »

cortez the killer wrote:

I like "Marry Me" a lot. However, I'd place it in the bottom half of songs on Decoration Day.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

cortez the killer wrote:

Agreed
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Smitty wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

Agreed

I'd probably put it in the middle tier but, like Kudzu said, that song is almost always a high point of the rock show.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

cortez the killer wrote:I'll say something a little more controversial then that...

I tried to find seven songs I liked more than Marry Me, but I couldn't do it. It's in my top 6 at least.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

top 5 is some combo of:

Sounds Better in the Song
Outfit
Decoration Day
Marry Me
When the Pin Hits the Shell

Middle tier:

Heathens
My Sweet Annette
Sinkhole
The Deeper In
Loaded Gun in the Closet
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Your Daddy Hates Me

Bottom tier:

Careless
Something's Gotta Give Pretty Soon
Do It Yourself

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:top 5 is some combo of:

Outfit
Decoration Day
Marry Me

Middle tier:

Heathens
My Sweet Annette
Sinkhole
The Deeper In
Loaded Gun in the Closet
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Your Daddy Hates Me

Bottom tier:

Careless
Do It Yourself

If you put Something's Gotta Give at the top of the second tier, and drop Your Daddy Hates Me to the bottom tier, this would be almost exactly how I rank the album.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

cortez the killer wrote:

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Iowan wrote:
Zip City wrote:top 5 is some combo of:

Outfit
Decoration Day
Marry Me

Middle tier:

Heathens
My Sweet Annette
Sinkhole
The Deeper In
Loaded Gun in the Closet
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Your Daddy Hates Me

Bottom tier:

Careless
Do It Yourself

If you put Something's Gotta Give at the top of the second tier, and drop Your Daddy Hates Me to the bottom tier, this would be almost exactly how I rank the album.

Mine's more like:
Heathens
Outfit
Sinkhole
Decoration Day
Marry Me
The Deeper In

Middle tier:
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
My Sweet Annette
Do It Yourself
Loaded Gun in the Closet

Bottom tier:
Careless
Your Daddy Hates Me

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Careful with the ranking or you'll soon find this thread in the Everything Else section.