dbt tracks # 53 - Decoration Day

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

dbt tracks # 53 - Decoration Day

Post by Clams »

A modern day Hatfield-McCoy with killer guitars. It's hard to believe we're starting out year two of "track of the week" and we're just getting to Decoration Day. I would guess that this song was the DBT entry point for at least a few 3DD'ers. One thing I always wondered about is that middle verse... Who put the chain on his back and his ear to the floor? The obvious answer is someone in the Hill clan, and that's why he wants to send them all to hell. Or was it his daddy? He seems like such a bastard and maybe he beat his own kid for disregarding his order and suggesting that their own family (the Lawsons) brought all this trouble on themselves.

It's Decoration Day.
And I've a mind to roll a stone on his grave.
But what would he say.
"Keeping me down, boy, won't keep me away."

It's Decoration Day.
And I knew the Hill Boys would put us away,
but my Daddy wasn't afraid.
He said "We'll fight till the last Lawson's last living day"

I never knew how it all got started
a problem with Holland before we were born
and I don't know the name of that boy we tied down
and beat till he just couldn't walk anymore.
But I know the caliber in Daddy's chest
and I know what Holland Hill drives.
The state let him go, but I guess it was best
cause nobody needs all us Lawsons alive.

Daddy said one of the boys had come by
the Lumber Man's favorite son.
He said, "Beat him real good but don't dare let him die
and if you see Holland Hill run.
Now I said, "they ain't give us trouble no more
that we ain't brought down on ourselves"
But a chain on my back and my ear to the floor
and I'll send all the Hill Boys to hell.

It's Decoration Day
and I've got a family in Mobile Bay
and they've never seen my Daddy's grave.
But that don't bother me, it ain't marked anyway.
Cause I got dead brothers in Lauderdale south
and I got dead brothers in east Tennessee.
My Daddy got shot right in front of his house
he had noone to fall on but me.

It's Decoration Day
and I've got a mind to go spit on his grave.
If I was a Hill, I'd have put him away
and I'd fight till the last Lawson's last living day.
I'd fight till the last Lawson's last living day.
I'd fight till the last Lawson's last living day.

PS - If anyone wants to write one of these threads, send me a pm and I'll get you on the schedule. As you can tell, lots of good songs left.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

bovine knievel

Re: dbt tracks # 53 - Decoration Day

Post by bovine knievel »

i always thought this would make a great movie.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

I'm probably talking nonsense, but a new interpretation just popped in to my head.

Clearly the narrator killed his father.

What if the narrator was actually a bastard, fathered by Mr. Larson by Mrs. Hill. Would explain the "trouble we brought down on ourselves" bit, as well as "If I were a Hill I'd have put him away".

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Isbell's greatest set of lyrics, hands down
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

The version on Live at the 40 Watt just sends chills down my spine. One of, if not the, greatest instrumental performances of this band ever captured on film.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I always thought the "chain on my back" line was referring to his daddy beatin' him for questioning/talking back to him.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

I think it speaks volumes about how great this tune is that even in a band with two more-than-capable writers, this tune was the centerpiece of the first album that then newcomer Jason Isbell was part of recording

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Actually, I'd argue that in terms of sheer brilliance this is actually in second place on that album. The winner being a little tune called Outfit.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Tyler wrote:Actually, I'd argue that in terms of sheer brilliance this is actually in second place on that album. The winner being a little tune called Outfit.

You opened up a can of worms there!
(I agree... well somedays I do...assuming you're only comparing Isbell songs...)

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Tyler wrote:Actually, I'd argue that in terms of sheer brilliance this is actually in second place on that album. The winner being a little tune called Outfit.

Album or Isbell songs on that album?
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Smitty wrote:I always thought the "chain on my back" line was referring to his daddy beatin' him for questioning/talking back to him.

and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Swamp wrote:
Smitty wrote:I always thought the "chain on my back" line was referring to his daddy beatin' him for questioning/talking back to him.

Yep, and "ear to the floor"' is daddy pinning him down (that's been my take on it)

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Zip City wrote:
Swamp wrote:

Yep, and "ear to the floor"' is daddy pinning him down (that's been my take on it)

My thoughts as well on both accounts.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

schofunk

Post by schofunk »

This tune put me over the edge with DBT and just shows that Isbell is one of the best out there. Decoration Day is perfect.

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Zip City wrote:Isbell's greatest set of lyrics, hands down

Definitely at the top of his game on that one. Southern rock noir at its absolute best.
Not forever, just for now.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

pearlysnaps wrote:I think it speaks volumes about how great this tune is that even in a band with two more-than-capable writers, this tune was the centerpiece of the first album that then newcomer Jason Isbell was part of recording

It's definitely a great tune but would it still be considered a "centerpiece" if they had gone with the original title of Heathens?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
pearlysnaps wrote:I think it speaks volumes about how great this tune is that even in a band with two more-than-capable writers, this tune was the centerpiece of the first album that then newcomer Jason Isbell was part of recording

It's definitely a great tune but would it still be considered a "centerpiece" if they had gone with the original title of Heathens?

but they didn't, probably because DD better encapsulates what the album is about than Heathens

rockreid

Post by rockreid »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

Personally, I like "Heathens" better as the title, but I think they got it right by going with "Decoration Day". Regardless, a live version of "DD" would absolutely make you listen, then put you on you're ass. The lyrics, the build up, the false ending, then the psycho sounding guitar(s); Pure bliss. Still the only song I miss them playing live.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Zip City wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

but they didn't, probably because DD better encapsulates what the album is about than Heathens

They changed the title because David Bowie was planning on releasing an album called Heathen around the same time.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Zip City wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

They changed the title because David Bowie was planning on releasing an album called Heathen around the same time.

I think it worked out for the best.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Zip City wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

I disagree with that, atleast 75% of the songs on that album are about the dissolution of relationships, so if you're going with a theme that runs through the entire album "Heathens" would've been the better title track, IMO.

but I'm fine either way - a perfect album IMO.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Decoration Day is one of the 5 best songs on the album. Heathens is not. Good call. I'd like the album as much either way, but DD was the better name.

I think the "chain on my back and my ear to the floor" could just as easily mean the entrapment of being metaphorically shackled to this family and their blood feud as well as the more literal abuse by the narrator's father. Perhaps it means both.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Iowan wrote:Decoration Day is one of the 5 best songs on the album. Heathens is not.
Ridiculous

Iowan wrote:I think the "chain on my back and my ear to the floor" could just as easily mean the entrapment of being metaphorically shackled to this family and their blood feud as well as the more literal abuse by the narrator's father. Perhaps it means both.
Brilliant

One out of two ain't bad, Iowan...

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I knew that first sentence was a bit of a loaded statement!

I'll present some evidence for the claim though:
Marry Me
When the Pin Hits the Shell
My Sweet Annette
Decoration Day
(Something's Got To) Give Pretty Soon
Outfit
Sinkhole

gerg

Post by gerg »

Heathens might be the best song on the record, and also might be my favorite Patterson song ever written. That said, Decoration Day is a motherfucker of a song, even if the Isbell introduction ended up being a double-edged sword in terms of bringing a not always welcome demographic into the fold at shows.

The line after the "...chain on my back..." line kind of defines it. "...and I'll send all the Hill Boys to hell." That points to it being a chain over his shoulder and an ear to the floor metaphorically, meaning he's always alert and ready to fight. I've always had a feeling it would have been "chain on my shoulder", but that he didn't like the phonetic value of two syllables where "back" was just one. The protagonist being beaten interpretation is a bit out of context with the immediately prior and subsequent lines, though it can never hurt to use language that serves the purpose of the narrative while also having other potential angles.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I've never been able to decide whether or not the character in the song hates his family, but nonetheless feels the obligation to them so strongly that he continues to fight anyways, or if he's completely divorced himself from them and sympathizes with the rivals from a distance.

gerg

Post by gerg »

Iowan wrote:I've never been able to decide whether or not the character in the song hates his family, but nonetheless feels the obligation to them so strongly that he continues to fight anyways, or if he's completely divorced himself from them and sympathizes with the rivals from a distance.

I think the whole point is that it's more complicated than love or hate. He does what he does out of loyalty, while acknowledging the ridiculousness of it all. He's a wise man in a family of idiots, though, out of loyalty, he would never say that to anybody outside the family. He can remove himself from the situation and see it for what it is, without bias.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

gerg wrote:
Iowan wrote:I've never been able to decide whether or not the character in the song hates his family, but nonetheless feels the obligation to them so strongly that he continues to fight anyways, or if he's completely divorced himself from them and sympathizes with the rivals from a distance.

I think the whole point is that it's more complicated than love or hate. He does what he does out of loyalty, while acknowledging the ridiculousness of it all. He's a wise man in a family of idiots, though, out of loyalty, he would never say that to anybody outside the family. He can remove himself from the situation and see it for what it is, without bias.

That's kind of what I was I thinking with the first part.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

IMO, other than The Living Bubba, Heathens is the best song Patterson ever wrote, and the best song on DD. If I were going to rank the top five songs on DD, it'd go like this:

Heathens
Sounds Better in a Song
Loaded Gun
Hell No I Ain't Happy
Outfit*

(originally had Pin Hits... but I gotta give this spot to Outfit)
Last edited by Smitty on Tue May 24, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Jeez....

Heathens
Outfit
Decoration Day
Sounds Better in the Song
Sink Hole

Apologies to Marry Me, Hell No, Deeper In, Sweet Annette and Pin Hits the Shell

PS - it just dawned on me that Marry Me is the only Cooley rocker on the entire record...