Montclair NJ show June 11

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

'Scratch

Re: Montclair NJ show June 11

Post by 'Scratch »

Does anybody know if you the place allows an under 21 crowd? I might just try to do a good deed and break a new kid into the rock show.
Not forever, just for now.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

'Scratch wrote:Does anybody know if you the place allows an under 21 crowd? I might just try to do a good deed and break a new kid into the rock show.

One w/ a driver's license, i hope ;)
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

You know it! But I'm resigned to the fact that I may need to demonstrate restraint and sobriety this time around. No problem. I'll do a body weight / blood alcohol calculation, know where the safe ground is, have a few early to loosen up and then let the decibel-induced endorphins carry me on from there.

To be honest, now that I'm of a "certain age" I can't really afford to weather another multi-day hangover.

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

beantownbubba wrote:
Jack Flash wrote:Decamp bus line #33, from Port Authority to Montclair (lets off just a couple of blocks from the venue):

http://www.decamp.com/schedules_routes.asp

But look up the returning schedule - no buses after midnight.

Have no fear, bubba's here, riding to the rescue, so to speak. I can take jack flash & 2 - 3 others back to the city after the show (i'll be heading to the bronx, but won't have come from there, so this is a one way offer only). JF gets dibs based on prior history but the other spots are up for grabs.

Mr. Flash, if this keeps up i'm gonna be looking to you for half my car payments.

BTW, NJM, just so you show up on the right night, this show IS on a weekend ;)

Thanks, BTB! And I'd be happy to fork over some cash for gas or what not. Enough mooching on my part!

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

beantownbubba wrote:The clouds of a typically overscheduled May/June parted juuuuust enough, and i am...

IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Getting to see Alejandro Escovedo for the first time is a very nice bonus!

:D :D Bubba, come early for day drinking in Mont Clair!!
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Sorry if this is redundant, but you can take the train from Hoboken (and possibly Penn Station) out to Mont Clair on the weekends, but they stop running early-ish. (so NYC folks, you can PATH it to Hoboken)
For Wilco, I took the train out there and then got a cab back to Newark Penn Station afterwards..

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

Penny Lane wrote:Sorry if this is redundant, but you can take the train from Hoboken (and possibly Penn Station) out to Mont Clair on the weekends, but they stop running early-ish. (so NYC folks, you can PATH it to Hoboken)
For Wilco, I took the train out there and then got a cab back to Newark Penn Station afterwards..

I think this was before last May's service cuts. As far as I can tell, you can't get to Montclair on the weekend by train. Not from either Hoboken or Penn St.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

emandrisdad wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:Sorry if this is redundant, but you can take the train from Hoboken (and possibly Penn Station) out to Mont Clair on the weekends, but they stop running early-ish. (so NYC folks, you can PATH it to Hoboken)

I think this was before last May's service cuts. As far as I can tell, you can't get to Montclair on the weekend by train. Not from either Hoboken or Penn St.

oh wow, had no idea...that's how i got out to see Wilco...hmmmm...you're right-they must have cut that line

what about lines running from Newark Penn to Mont Clair ?

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

I may regret it, but I think I just got my lovely wife (who doesn't like loud music) to come. Worst case scenario, I have a designated driver.

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Can anyone suggest lodging near the venue? Thanks
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

lynne

Post by lynne »

BigTom wrote:Can anyone suggest lodging near the venue? Thanks

We are staying at LaQuinta. Its just a little over 3 miles away, but it doesn't appear that there is much closer. Looks like a nice hotel and is reasonable at 92.00. Sure hope there are cabs running late that night!
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

Penny Lane wrote:
emandrisdad wrote:

oh wow, had no idea...that's how i got out to see Wilco...hmmmm...you're right-they must have cut that line

Nope.

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

lynne wrote:

We are staying at LaQuinta. Its just a little over 3 miles away, but it doesn't appear that there is much closer. Looks like a nice hotel and is reasonable at 92.00. Sure hope there are cabs running late that night!

I was looking on Expedia and 3 miles is as about as close as some of the others they list. Thanks
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

BigTom wrote:
lynne wrote:

I was looking on Expedia and 3 miles is as about as close as some of the others they list. Thanks

try near the Newark Airport..

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

emandrisdad wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:

Nope.

um..i shall be bumming a ride from someone then....damn..!!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Penny Lane wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:The clouds of a typically overscheduled May/June parted juuuuust enough, and i am...

IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Getting to see Alejandro Escovedo for the first time is a very nice bonus!

:D :D Bubba, come early for day drinking in Mont Clair!!

Less than a month to go!!! :D

Penny, I don't expect to get there that early, but a burger & a beer or 3 pre-gaming should be in order :) Do you have any place in mind?
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Yeah, I'll try to find a pre-gaming place. I walked from the train station there and didn't see much for the Wilco show, but I'm sure there are a few places in town!

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Checked out all the blogs and maps and checked with a friend who lives near and it seems that this is one of the 2 good meetup spots pre-Wellmont shows within walking distance (I checked out the other one--formerly South Park Grill and it looks like it's either a vodka bar now and/or pricier but I'm not certain). This one has some good happy hour specials (okay, cheaper for all the non beer snobs I think).

open to other suggestions, but this one looks the best?

Just Jakes
30 Park Street
http://www.justjakes.com/index.html

Clams

Post by Clams »

Penny Lane wrote:Checked out all the blogs and maps and checked with a friend who lives near and it seems that this is one of the 2 good meetup spots pre-Wellmont shows within walking distance (I checked out the other one--formerly South Park Grill and it looks like it's either a vodka bar now and/or pricier but I'm not certain). This one has some good happy hour specials (okay, cheaper for all the non beer snobs I think).

open to other suggestions, but this one looks the best?

Just Jakes
30 Park Street
http://www.justjakes.com/index.html

Good job, Penny. I'm In.
If you don't run you rust

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

That looks good to me, Penny.

Pre-pre-game the CT convoy is probably going to make a stop at Rutt's Hut in nearby Clifton for some deep-fried dogs. Peep the healthy goodness:

Yum.

lador

Post by lador »

Hi All,

Just to let you know this is my home town show. I live in Montclair and want to throw out a few suggestions on where to pre-game for the DBT show.

First, I am going to go with Egan's. It's on Walnut Street. It is a good Irish bar with a big patio in the back for smokers and people who want to be outside.

The other is Erie Saloon which is also on Walnut close to the train tracks of the Walnut Street NJ Transit stop. It is your typical get you drunk and send you home kind of place.

I think a lot of you are talking about going to Just Jakes. This is good but its a young college crowd and a sub par bar. You'll probably be getting off the train at the Bay Street stop, this is the last stop on weekends and is the first usual stop in Montclair. When you get off the train, you will need to make a left at the circle toward the gas station and the right at the light is Bloomfield Avenue. The Wellmont is a few blocks up the hill on Bloomfield Avenue. There are plenty of restaurants in this area to choose from.

Talk more after Memorial Day,
Dorian

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

uncle rickey wrote:That looks good to me, Penny.

Pre-pre-game the CT convoy is probably going to make a stop at Rutt's Hut in nearby Clifton for some deep-fried dogs. Peep the healthy goodness:

Yum.

Oh man, that place is the best. I've only been there once, but it's the best hot dog in NJ! Well, 2nd best. My allegiance lies with Cubby's in Hackensack.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Yum.

Note to self - DO NOT stand behind Uncle Rickey at the Montclair show on June 11.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

lador wrote:Hi All,

Just to let you know this is my home town show. I live in Montclair and want to throw out a few suggestions on where to pre-game for the DBT show.

First, I am going to go with Egan's. It's on Walnut Street. It is a good Irish bar with a big patio in the back for smokers and people who want to be outside.

The other is Erie Saloon which is also on Walnut close to the train tracks of the Walnut Street NJ Transit stop. It is your typical get you drunk and send you home kind of place.

I think a lot of you are talking about going to Just Jakes. This is good but its a young college crowd and a sub par bar. You'll probably be getting off the train at the Bay Street stop, this is the last stop on weekends and is the first usual stop in Montclair. When you get off the train, you will need to make a left at the circle toward the gas station and the right at the light is Bloomfield Avenue. The Wellmont is a few blocks up the hill on Bloomfield Avenue. There are plenty of restaurants in this area to choose from.

Talk more after Memorial Day,
Dorian

I've never been to any of these places, so maybe we should change it to Egan's (that is if you don't mind us crashing your party---it makes no difference to me--i'd love to avoid the younger/ish crowd if possible) just let me know...

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Jack Flash wrote:

Yum.

Oh man, that place is the best. I've only been there once, but it's the best hot dog in NJ! Well, 2nd best. My allegiance lies with Cubby's in Hackensack.

after a while though, isn't it just bacon? will you get me one to go?! nice....

karmadog

Post by karmadog »

I may be in on this one, might bring the whole family

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

karmadog wrote:I may be in on this one, might bring the whole family

Cool
Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

just curious.... what constitutes the "whole" family?

karmadog

Post by karmadog »

Clams wrote:

just curious.... what constitutes the "whole" family?

my beautiful wife, my two heathen kids (8 & 10) and myself

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

kdog, you should be good to go on the tickets. Check your PM/email.