DBT tracks #47, "Hell No I Ain't Happy"

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Smitty

Re: DBT tracks #47, "Hell No I Ain't Happy"

Post by Smitty »

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Smitty wrote:these were the days

the days of.......out of tune guitars? :lol:
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Zip City wrote:

the days of.......out of tune guitars? :lol:

lol...
like the devil intended.

zoid

Post by zoid »

Smitty wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DFU9wKhnBk&NR=1

great performance on the kilborne show. could not get the utubes to post up regular-like.

Wow, never saw that! The picture video sucks, but still amazing. Sometimes I miss those days...

Yeah.. the video quality is my fault... I recorded it to a mini DV camera using firewire and somehow screwed it up.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I like it zoid. Gives it a crazy retro quality to match the era. Great way to start my mornin' thanks.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Love this show. This show took place six blocks from my house and about three months before I knew about DBT. Sounds good for the Black Cat...not the best acoustics.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

BigTom wrote:

Love this show. This show took place six blocks from my house and about three months before I knew about DBT. Sounds good for the Black Cat...not the best acoustics.

Two days after the Bonnaroo 2003 face melter which is one of my all time favorite shows I've ever seen by any band. This was also the day that Decoration Day was released and don't think he'd mind me saying it Barr Weismann's first show. And the next time back at the Black Cat wasn't until Patterson's show there during the Murdering Oscar tour and also the day Michael Jackson died. And there some very "funny" signs posted backstage by the venue management. The Black Cat must have a long memory and also apparently not much turnover :D

And I've been singing lately One Night In Kansas City I Took Some Tylenol PM.

Sterling Big Mouth

Post by Sterling Big Mouth »

I loved the Hell No on the Kilborn show. Youtube then kindly suggested Aftermath from Conan in '06, which likewise rocked (alsum solos from Jason and Cooley). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il-ecXPLVJA

Again, I have to give it to the band - it seems like every time someone gives them a shot, they hit it out of the park. It's especially impressive for DBT as I'd imagine they're at their best 10 songs and 5 JD swigs deep. They always seem to rise to the occasion though (like above as well as Fuck this Job and ENL on Letterman, Get Downtown on Sirius, etc.). Just another reason why I'm baffled why their following isn't 8 times as large.
Three guitars or a life of crime

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

And these are the days!

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

And these are the days!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

mark lynn wrote:

And these are the days!

that goes without saying 8-)

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Sterling Big Mouth wrote:I loved the Hell No on the Kilborn show. Youtube then kindly suggested Aftermath from Conan in '06, which likewise rocked (alsum solos from Jason and Cooley). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il-ecXPLVJA

Again, I have to give it to the band - it seems like every time someone gives them a shot, they hit it out of the park. It's especially impressive for DBT as I'd imagine they're at their best 10 songs and 5 JD swigs deep. They always seem to rise to the occasion though (like above as well as Fuck this Job and ENL on Letterman, Get Downtown on Sirius, etc.). Just another reason why I'm baffled why their following isn't 8 times as large.

Gotta disagree with you on "Aftermath" on Conan. I can't get more than 30 seconds into that performance without cringing. Sounds like everyone's playing a different song.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Duke Silver wrote:
Sterling Big Mouth wrote:I loved the Hell No on the Kilborn show. Youtube then kindly suggested Aftermath from Conan in '06, which likewise rocked (alsum solos from Jason and Cooley). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il-ecXPLVJA

Gotta disagree with you on "Aftermath" on Conan. I can't get more than 30 seconds into that performance without cringing. Sounds like everyone's playing a different song.

It gets better as it goes along, but it's not great
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Sterling Big Mouth

Post by Sterling Big Mouth »

Y'all are crazy.
Three guitars or a life of crime

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

was thinking about this song today.

I am an on the road sales guy that most days likes his job, and allows me to see the truckers in many places, but other days the job sucks.

I know there are a few other sales guys in the same boat on this board and I think this song can apply as well. Doin for the kids, 80 down 800 to go (calls not shows, but work with me here).

Just a thought.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

ScottyC wrote:was thinking about this song today.

I am an on the road sales guy that most days likes his job, and allows me to see the truckers in many places, but other days the job sucks.

I know there are a few other sales guys in the same boat on this board and I think this song can apply as well. Doin for the kids, 80 down 800 to go (calls not shows, but work with me here).

Just a thought.

Amen brother!
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRIf0cgieHs

Love this version. Especially Jay's faces in the background :lol:
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LastLawson wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRIf0cgieHs

A nice reminder that the previous version of the band was pretty damn good, too.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

beantownbubba wrote:
LastLawson wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRIf0cgieHs

A nice reminder that the previous version of the band was pretty damn good, too.

Yep, many of us (including myself) are guilty of discounting how great previous lineups were, when comparing them to new lineups. Same thing with albums. Everytime I listen to DBT albums low on my favorites list, I always think about how unfair it is to rank them. Not going to stop me from ranking them in the future though :roll:
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Updated

Always go to the show

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I don't suppose someone might know the chords to this song.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

phungi

Post by phungi »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:I don't suppose someone might know the chords to this song.
haven't verified this by playing, but Ultimate Guitar lists these as the chords
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Hud

Post by Hud »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:I don't suppose someone might know the chords to this song.
i

Let the bottom 2 strings ring after playing 'e'

https://sites.google.com/site/dbtguitar ... in-t-happy
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Today I was driving on Interstate 10 (a road which I may have never or only a few times travelled previously), and this song came on Outlaw Country (Sirius). I thought it made for a remarkable coincidence!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Josh Kantor, Fenway Park organist and occasional guest on the DBT stage (hartford/portland in less than2 wks perhaps?) played an instrumental version of "Hell No" as the unhappy crowd filed out after a disappointing loss this afternoon. Brightened my day, anyway, though it was obvious that nobody else around me had a clue (other than my wife).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:Josh Kantor, Fenway Park organist and occasional guest on the DBT stage (hartford/portland in less than2 wks perhaps?) played an instrumental version of "Hell No" as the unhappy crowd filed out after a disappointing loss this afternoon. Brightened my day, anyway, though it was obvious that nobody else around me had a clue (other than my wife).
That's outstanding.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

beantownbubba wrote:Josh Kantor, Fenway Park organist and occasional guest on the DBT stage (hartford/portland in less than2 wks perhaps?) played an instrumental version of "Hell No" as the unhappy crowd filed out after a disappointing loss this afternoon. Brightened my day, anyway, though it was obvious that nobody else around me had a clue (other than my wife).
Josh is also a sometime member of The Baseball Project. He's to the right of Scott McCaughey in this clip.

On the Replacements tip mentioned in the above clip.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Filled with Awesome. :mrgreen:
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Seen my number roll by on Interstate 10:

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

About a month ago I borrowed one of Bryan’s (my father in law’s) cars for a fourteen hour road trip. Long story short the car broke down about four hours from where we live but happened to fortunately occur in a friend’s town. I left the car at my friend’s house and rented a car for the remainder of my trip. Fast forward a month and Bryan and I needed to retrieve said vehicle. We like each other, but this was neither of our ideas of a fun Saturday.

After a four hour Saturday drive, Bryan managed to repair the car after a couple of hours, and after a quick lunch we were on the road for another four hour pm drive. FUN! About thee hours into the return drive, the recently repaired car overheated and was broken agian. Despite his valiant efforts earlier in the day, Bryan called a tow truck for an expensive (over an hour) tow. Bryan and I had both had a long, shit filled day, and we were pretty pissy and honestly were happy with neither each other nor the entire situation!

Neither of us talked much the last hour of the drive, but about ten minutes before arriving home Hell No was playing on the car stereo. After a couple of bars, we were singing loudly (out of tune of course) but were good friends agian!