Dylan Leblanc opening

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

olwiggum
Site Admin

Dylan Leblanc opening

Post by olwiggum »

For those of you going to the shows that Dylan is opening, make sure you get there in time to see him. Don't expect loud, kick-ass rock and roll though.

Dylan's a talented kid and an amazing songwriter. Most of his band is from here in the Shoals.

Honkymagoo

Re: Dylan Leblanc opening

Post by Honkymagoo »

He did pretty much kick ass. I got a definite young Neil Young vibe from him. Great pairing with the Truckers. Must be something in the water down there in Muscle Shoals.

I'd go see him again even on his own.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Hell yeah, he was great. I would definitely check him out on his own too. I have been playing his album a ton since last fall.

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

This is fantastic for those of you who're going. And if you don't have his album "Paupers Field" yet, go get it!
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

TruckerTomer wrote:This is fantastic for those of you who're going. And if you don't have his album "Paupers Field" yet, go get it!

Went and got it. Lov'in it. Can't wait till Chattanooga!
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

TheGhostToMost

Post by TheGhostToMost »

Dylan LeBlanc was great. I'm a fan now. I get a Neil Young vibe from him too. But a lot of his songs remind me of Pink Floyd for some reason. I could just hear him singing "Comfortably Numb" or "Time."
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

I was trying to sit this one out, but...Neil Young vibe? Yall are crazy. The 'vibe' I got was Ryan Adams with cock rock guitar solos and the occasional Radiohead vocal affectation. Sorry, but that set was sorta heard to sit through. Wish Josh T Pearson - or Glossary - was opening these shows. Oh well.

davec53

Post by davec53 »

i agree with jimmyjack in that the artist vibe i got from him was more in the line of Ryan Adams, but i do not agree that it was hard to sit through.

the first night in Lexington, my wife and i agreed that he was REALLY good, but that it did feel like more of a sit-down and relax type of performance...not a rock-show type performance. the second night, i think he cut out some of the slower songs from friday (but also one of the ones that really got the crowd dancing around), and it was a tighter set.

i thought it was pretty crappy on saturday night that when he announced he only had 1 song left, several in the crowd cheered and started chanting "DBT"...especially since he was laying it all out there. no need for that.

all in all, i think he's pretty damn good, and although i liked the live versions of the songs better than the recorded ones i've heard so far, there is no denying he is just an amazing artist.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

I took a few pics if you're interested. You can find them here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 76a55172f4

Here is a shot of Dylan:

And I love seeing the bass player rocking a DBT shirt:
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Clams

Post by Clams »

I picked up his CD when I bought Jason's the other day. I like it.
If you don't run you rust

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

I dig the album too and I was glad to see his live performance to be more up-tempo however the vocals while having an awesome melody were completely distorted and i could hardly make out a word of what he was singing.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:I dig the album too and I was glad to see his live performance to be more up-tempo however the vocals while having an awesome melody were completely distorted and i could hardly make out a word of what he was singing.

I had heard that going into the Greenville Show. Had a buddy, and take it he didnt have the album and had no idea who he was, but he couldnt understand him at all. But at the Handlebar I thought the sound was great and we could understand him for the most part. Now we have been listening to the album a lot, and knew most of the words anyways. But thought it was pretty clear. And the Ryan Adams comparison, I dont see it at all. This dude is way talented for 20 years old and see the Neil Young comparisons, as small as they might be. But this dude has way too much soul and talent to be compared to Ryan Adams, plus he is a nice guy. Seemed as happy to meet some fans as the fans were to meet him. Just happy to be where he is.

acoxofrd

Post by acoxofrd »

I thought he sounded great in Chattanooga. Wasn't sure what to make of him going in but he played a great set and made a fan out of me. I'd definitely encourage people who haven't to check him out.

Clams

Post by Clams »

I think his voice sounds sounds more like Ray LaMontagne than Neil.
If you don't run you rust

rawkshow

Post by rawkshow »

i saw him at the Greenville show. never heard his music before. walking in during the start of his set, i thought they sounded good but honestly he didn't do alot for me. part of it was prob cuz i was amped up for the rockshow & his stuff was pretty slow but also not that much really stuck out to me. he did play one more uptempo "soul" song that really impressed me but really that was it, one song that stuck out. i really don't see the neil comparisions. it wasn't a bad show tho & if i heard him on the radio i wouldn't turn it off, but at this point i wouldn't go buy his cd either.
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Really can't believe so many of you are invoking Neil here. Dude sounds about as much like Neil Young as Jack Johnson sounds like Bob Dylan. And I'm sure Ryan Adams is a dick, never heard otherwise, and I haven't heard one of his records since Gold, but, come on, Adams can write songs, and that's really all that should matter unless he's dating your daughter or something. I'm not trying to be hard on LeBlanc, dude's young, seems like a nice guy, clearly talented, but judging from the two songs I heard from his gratuitous reverb-y album and the set I saw last week, I won't be joining the fan club any time soon.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I believe it was Olwiggum who hooked me up with an acoustic bootleg of him a couple years ago and I been a fan ever since. Definitely think his voice is similar to Ryan, but I get the Neil vibe too.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

javamyth

Post by javamyth »

Dylan Leblanc definitely sounded like a Ryan Adams and the Cardinals fan to me. The structure of the songs, the harmonizing, pedal steel / alt country. For 20 he was great. Good chops on the guitar, good bass player, good vocals. I really like his version of "The Shape I'm In" that was a blast. He was a good opener for the DBT's in that he was mellower and let people warm up for the three guitar onslaught.

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

here is a link to the mp3's of the greenville set. any help filling in the gaps would be great. I'll post the flacs when I figure out the setlist completely. and yes vocals are a bit muddy and hard to understand at times.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bexrer

Dylan LeBlanc
04/06/2011
The Handlebar
Greenville, SC

source: Schoeps mk41(DINa) > kc5 > cmc6 > Lunatec V3 > Edirol R-44 @ 24/48
transfer: SDHC card > PC > wavelab 6.1 > cd wave > traders little helper (flac level 8)

all editing (fades, Crystal Resampler (high), dither w/ iZotope Ozone 4) done in wavelab 6.1

*16bit/44.1khz fileset*

recorded and transferred by Gordon Wilson

A Team Dirty South Recording

01. Changing Of The Seasons
03. If The Creek Don't Rise
05. If Time Was For Wasting
06. Emma Hartley
07. No Kind Of Forgiveness

opened for Drive-By Truckers

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

I loved Dylan's set and his record. He was not kidding about that being nervous thing. And he's only 21. Young. Which means I'm old. Damn!

Mama_in_GoGo_Boots

Post by Mama_in_GoGo_Boots »

CooleyGirl wrote:I took a few pics if you're interested. You can find them here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 76a55172f4

Here is a shot of Dylan:

And I love seeing the bass player rocking a DBT shirt:

Wow you had to of been standing right beside me at this concert because i got the EXACT same picture of dylan at almost the exact same angle.... lol
"Life without risks is like a blank sheet of paper,full of opportunities not yet taken