6/23/10 DBT/Tom Petty Roll Call

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

CooleyGirl

6/23/10 DBT/Tom Petty Roll Call

Post by CooleyGirl »

Uncle Rickey and I are in. We'll be in Iowa visiting his Mom that week and Des Moines to Omaha is a short drive. We got the middle level priced seats for about $200 for the 2 of us, after all the fees. Expensive, but how often will this happen? I don't want to miss this tour.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

CooleyGirl

Re: 6/23/10 DBT/Tom Petty Roll Call

Post by CooleyGirl »

Anyone else going to this one?

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Wow, looks like it is just Uncle Rickey and I for this one. We'll be sure to give a full report.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

I'm in the same boat for Cuyahoga Falls on 7/20, looks like Jen and I will have to represent. We sprung for 4th row
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Give us the full report. The Petty shows are too far from me to travel for just an opening DBT slot. I've seen TP before -- my second concert ever actually -- and he is always tight. I will be in Washington on July 23 for the full rock show. Don't want to miss that one.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

potato chips

Post by potato chips »

My gal and I will also be representing in the $90 upper level seats. Gonna be strange seeing DBT from so far away and from a seated position, but still definitely looking forward to it. There was no way I was going to miss my favorite band open for such true legends of rock.

I was so suprised to see this double bill coming to town when it was announced, since we're so used to seeing only bad country and teeny bopper acts at the Qwest. Long live the rock, indeed!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Sitting at the office in DSM right now. Can't wait to get out of here in 2 hours, go home, workout, hit I-80 westbound, party in the Old Market all afternoon, and get my face blown right off tonight. Going to be a great fucking day. Oh, and it's my 25th bday as well. DBT + Petty is the best way to celebrate a 1/4 of a century that I could imagine.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Iowan wrote: Oh, and it's my 25th bday as well. DBT + Petty is the best way to celebrate a 1/4 of a century that I could imagine.

Good stuff, always fun to rock out on your birthday. This is the first year in a while DBT or Jason hadnt played close on my birthday in at least 4 years . One year in Charleston SC Shonna tried to wish me a happy birthday after the show finished but they had already turned off the mics, but I didnt care because I heard it and I was shitfaced. Last year on my birthday we went and saw Jason and the 400 unit in greenville and Browan was having some back problems so I went backstage with my wife before the show and adjusted his back and got to hang out with the guys for 15-20 minutes. Was pretty cool. Happy bday and enjoy the show.

HawkJee

Post by HawkJee »

CooleyGirl wrote:Uncle Rickey and I are in. We'll be in Iowa visiting his Mom that week and Des Moines to Omaha is a short drive. We got the middle level priced seats for about $200 for the 2 of us, after all the fees. Expensive, but how often will this happen? I don't want to miss this tour.

Newbie Alert! Just joined 3DD today but been a DBT fan for a few years. I will be at the Omaha show. Row 21 on the floor. I've seen Petty about 7 times but this is my first DBT & I am so excited! Glad to be a part of this list.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

If I heard correctly, Get Downtown was on tonite's set list. Thanks, CG/UR!! :D
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Angels and Fuselage as I type
Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

I think I heard a bit of Gonna Be I Told You So.

Angels & Fuselage? A rather bold selection...
If you don't run you rust

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
Angels & Fuselage? A rather bold selection...

Seriously!

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Birthday Boy
Girls Who Smoke
Gravity's Gone
Drag the Lake Charlie
Get Downtown
(It's Gonna Be) I Told You So
Santa Fe
Women Without Whiskey
The Living Bubba
Zip City
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Shut Up and Get on the Plane
Angels and Fuselage

Observations: it was funny hearing Patterson start the show by saying "Hey, We're the Drive-By Truckers..." Though the room was less than half-full at the time. Cooley's solo was killer as usual on GWS, as well as most of the night, his playing was awesome. His vocals were a little off though, timing-wise in a couple of places he seemed out of time with the band on GG and Zip City. There was big-time echo on Patterson's vox during Drag the Lake Charlie... some serious reverb singing "Drag the laaaaake." Cooley at one point told a funny story about going to a Tom Petty show in his youth, and being mistaken for Jackson Browne. He joked that someone saw him and thought the opener must be Jackson Browne, then croaked "Rosie, you're all right!" Patterson sang it too, then said that that must've been a long time ago. Patt told the Gregory Dean Smalley story in full detail (like on Alabama Ass Whuppin')... "he played over 100 shows in the last year of his life, because he was a badass motherfucker," and they really nailed it, amazing Cooley solo there and Neff in particular was exquisite on the pedal steel... I thought if ever they'll get a loud pop from the audience, it'll be here, but nope, more polite murmurs and middling applause after the song. That seemed to be the way the crowd was reacting even as they filled in throughout the set (by the time Petty came on I'd say the venue was a little better than 3/4 full), until a blistering Hell No/Shut Up on which Cooley was just immense. Incredible soloing, and there was a real roar after Shut Up, and I even heard a "DBT, DBT" chant from below. That was nice. Sound was spotty in the beginning: there was some variable volume stuff going on with Neff and Jay in particular in the beginning, but it got ironed out as the set went on and they sounded fine, good and loud. I noticed they sounded just as loud as Petty did, which surprised me a bit. Another nice surprise was they played a little over an hour, whereas TP played about 1 hr 45 minutes. All in all an interesting experience, though certainly nothing like the rock show at a club like the 40 Watt or someplace like that. Hopefully the exposure to new folks is good for them: I heard an older couple behind me complaining that they wished the opener could have been Crosby, Stills, and Nash, like some cities are getting, but "those guys [referring to DBT], you know, they were pretty good." Yeah.

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

Great review, Rickey.

Nice to see a setlist!

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Thanks, UR! Great review. I'm sure they got at least a few new fans last night.

Angels and Fuselage, too.....
In my blood, there's gasoline..

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

CSN...DBT...CSN...DBT...whatever :lol:

Thanx for the write up, uncle rickey!

potato chips

Post by potato chips »

Fantastic show last night. As you would expect, it was a Petty crowd but I think the people around us seemed to appreciate the Truckers. Not with unbridled enthusiasm, but genuine respect and I'm sure they gained several new fans with their set.

I thought DBT did as great a job of taking their club show to the big stage as you could hope. Patterson & Cooley were in fine, rock star form. Because of the shorter than normal set time, it kind of seemed like a "sprint" to the end (Zip City, Hell No, and Shut Up and Get on the Plane all blistered) with a victory lap, feedback laden walk-off ending of Angels. Well done team!!

Here's the review from the Lincoln paper. This guy really loves him some DBT....I get the feeling that like me, he was there more for the opening act. But the Tom Petty closer was far from a letdown. Those guys are still the real deal and put on a killer show.

http://journalstar.com/entertainment/music/article_166d2aa0-7f56-11df-a538-001cc4c03286.html

HawkJee

Post by HawkJee »

Penny Lane wrote:Thanks, UR! Great review. I'm sure they got at least a few new fans last night.

Angels and Fuselage, too.....

Excellent review! I was right in the middle of that DBT chant you heard down on the floor! I was pleased to find myself right in a small pocket of hardcore Trucker fans in rows 14 & 15. We tried to get the crowd around us going. I saw quite a few people really start paying attention midway thru the show & were on their feet & clapping when the band walked off in that feedback A&F.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Great show. It was very weird sitting for DBT, though. I've seen them in seated venues a few times, and people were at least standing up. Not the case last night. Our seats sucked. We went with the middle price option, and were still miles up in the air. I hate to know where the third level folks sat as there were only a few rows left behind us. We were close to Shonna's corner of the stage, at least. Though even Damon looked like an ant from our view. I really enjoyed DBT, and it was fun seeing them play an arena, so yes, it was worth it. TP and the Heartbreakers put on a good show too. Each time TP said something, I started giggling and picturing Lucky from King of the Hill, so that was fun too.

Before Cooley broke into the Jackson Browne story, he said I hear you. He was getting lots of cheers (ok, probably from me) so it was cool he was responsive. Even though the crowd was clearly for TP, there were enough of us DBT folks there to make some noise. I did hear some scattered cheers between songs. I saw a few folks on the floor standing up and fist pumping during Hell No, which made me happy. I'd be surprised if DBT didn't get some new fans from Omaha.

Sorry we missed the other 3dd folks. Welcome, Potato Chips! I love your name! Thanks for the article, that was cool.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Ive heard Patterson or Cooley tell that story before. Not sure if it was at a live show I was at or a recording of a show I listened too. Sounds like a good time, although i hate seeing the truckers do the opening act thing. Its hard to watch them leave the stage after just getting warmed up. But Petty would have made it more tolerable.

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

Jeremy wrote:Ive heard Patterson or Cooley tell that story before. Not sure if it was at a live show I was at or a recording of a show I listened too.

It was probably from the Cooley live solo show at the 40 watt that is posted on Southern Shelter. funny stuff.

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

Proud of our band. That was a great setlist.
Thanks to all y'all who showed up and gave us updates.
(UR and CG ;) , thanks for the love!)
NSFW

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

Sounds like a good time! It must be kind of a mindfuck to see Patterson and Cooley and everyone 8 miles away on an arena stage! Glad to hear they could fill it up, sound wise. Not that I had any doubts.

mikem

Post by mikem »

going to deer creek in a couple of weeks.......what time did they hit the stage??

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

4th time I've seen DBT, and we were up high, and way in the back, and I've seriously never hear them sound better. Cooley fucking slayed it. Straight up. Awesome set list. My brother was in tears during "Zip City" (it's his favorite song of all time) and I almost lost it for Angels and Fuselage. I've never seen it live, and I think it's a damn near perfect song.

potato chips

Post by potato chips »

Now that I've come down a bit (was definitely drifting on a coffee buzz during my post this morning) and have had all day to look back on last night's show--random thoughts and observations:

$40 for a plain ol' concert t-shirt....really?

Definitely be in (or near) your seat when your ticket tells you to be. Showtime on the ticket was 7:30 and DBT hit the stage about 7:29.

Props to my gal for singing "Drag the Lake Charlie" on our way into the Qwest. Had to give her a big High 5 when they broke into it about 5 songs in. Love how the band looks when they play that one, like they each are lugging a dead body around the stage....or they're walking through a muddy swamp. Either picture fits that song eerily well.

After they finished "Shut Your Mouth...", the guy behind me said something to the effect of "Now THAT'S how you end a show on a high note." So of course the band then promptly lit into "Angels & Fuselage". Don't know if he said anything after that.

Good god, there were a lot of really drunk people there last night. Guess the Petty and DBT crowds really are one and the same.

Cooley ripped off a killer solo during the middle of Zip City, using some guitar effect I'd never seen or noticed before. Just another one of those "Cooley is the Fuckin Shit" moments.

I love, love, love being able to see my favorite band in an intimate club and getting so close to the stage that Cooley could leave an imprint of his boot heel on my forehead, if he felt the need. But it was also pretty freaking cool to see 10,000 people getting their "Rock" on and loving life during a Petty concert. Saw nothing but lots of really happy (and really drunk) people leaving the show.....good fucking times indeed!

ukdan2999

Post by ukdan2999 »

any chance that set could show up on archive or anywhere else for that matter?
- Just a rope around his neck and the kitchen table turned on its side.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Great reviews, everyone. Potato Chips, your description of Drag the Lake is dead on!!
If you don't run you rust

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

potato chips wrote:$40 for a plain ol' concert t-shirt....really?

The Petty camp made them jack up merch prices.

Shirts & CDs will be a good 25% higher at the opener shows.