DBT tracks #46--Marry Me

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

GuitarManUpstairs

Re: DBT tracks #46--Marry Me

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Also curious about teh interpretation of this line:

"Long as they stay mad at one another, they can't get mad at me"

who's the they? Her parents? Why, the baby on the way? Is he saying they're too preoccupied with their own issues to be mad at him?
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:Also curious about teh interpretation of this line:

"Long as they stay mad at one another, they can't get mad at me"

who's the they? Her parents? Why, the baby on the way? Is he saying they're too preoccupied with their own issues to be mad at him?

Bingo! At least that's what I have always assumed.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Rev, I never got that the character in the song was in a band and was giving it up for family life but I can see how that interpretation fits in the song.

From what Cooley said and the article Smitty posted it certainly seems like the song is about Chris Quinlan with the busted hand and everything. This part of that article (touched on by Patterson in The Secret To a Happy Ending) gave me chills.

Towards the end of the dream I asked him if he would ever "visit" me again, but he said that it just didn't work that way. At this point, my dream took a turn that the others didn't, in which he said with a smile "watch this" and then, as if shining a flashlight onto a path in the woods, he showed me a path to follow, A path that I have followed ever since regarding my music and artistic life. The specifics of this are hard to explain, but it was literally like a road map that has led me from where I was then to where I am now.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

that part of the movie was creepy as hell, though I've had a few dreams where I felt dead people were visiting me
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Zip City wrote:that part of the movie was creepy as hell, though I've had a few dreams where I felt dead people were visiting me

I had one of those a couple of weeks ago but it was more comedic than anything.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

efoote wrote:
Iowan wrote:I once read a review that described this song as a "rock and roll missile". That's a damn near perfect description.

I'm in the camp that thought of it more as a Stones-esque tune than Already Gone. But it just has a little more "blister" than most Stones tunes. Just punches back a little bit harder.

That's just not a very fair statement.... "Marry Me" has a little more "blister" than most Trucker's songs as well, so does "Jumping Jack Flash," "Street Fighting Man," and "Rocks Off." It's just not fair to take one of the Trucker's most rockin' songs and hold it up against any band's entire catalogue, even the Stones.

It's not a slight to either band, just an observation. DBT and the Stones are 2 of my 5 favorite artists of all time.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:
Smitty wrote:The only resemblance to "Already Gone" is the riff is similar, and I don't see anyone could deny that. I agree it's kinda "Stonesy", a lot of Cooley's rockers are that way to me - his voice is even slightly similar to Jagger's - but the songs are still distinctly DBT.

Regarding his voice - I definitely hear a little Jagger in the first part of 3DD. 'It was a straight shot...."

I kept telling a friend of mine that Cooley's voice reminded me of Mick and he always laughed and said I was crazy, but we were drunk one night and I put on "3DD" (first time he ever heard it) and he said "hell yeah the Stones" or something to that affect. He admitted I wasn't crazy.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Smitty wrote:
GuitarManUpstairs wrote:
Smitty wrote:The only resemblance to "Already Gone" is the riff is similar, and I don't see anyone could deny that. I agree it's kinda "Stonesy", a lot of Cooley's rockers are that way to me - his voice is even slightly similar to Jagger's - but the songs are still distinctly DBT.

Regarding his voice - I definitely hear a little Jagger in the first part of 3DD. 'It was a straight shot...."

I kept telling a friend of mine that Cooley's voice reminded me of Mick and he always laughed and said I was crazy, but we were drunk one night and I put on "3DD" (first time he ever heard it) and he said "hell yeah the Stones" or something to that affect. He admitted I wasn't crazy.

Ha! Nice.. :D
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

Love this song, almost always get it live but still get excited to hear it. The lady and I are gettting married in July and we are using this as the introduction song at the reception. The best part is we are getting married in a small south georgia town and there will be a ton of right wing blue hairs at our reception, but we both know this song is what we have to come in to.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Nothing says wedded bliss like "finding some man laying where I sleep"... :?
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

A Cooley Classic for sure......gotta love it!!!!~ 8-)

Well, my daddy didn’t pull out, but he never apologized
Rock and Roll means well, but it can’t help tellin’ young boys lies.
A baby on the way’s a good enough reason to get you out alive
Get you out without having to swallow any pride.

All my friends are restless, all they do is talk it down,
two or eight lanes, it don’t matter, it’s just another town.
There’s a fool on every corner, on every street, in every one
and I’d rather be your fool nowhere than go somewhere and be no one's

So Marry Me, Sweet Thing won’t you Marry Me
Your Mama thinks I beat anything she’s ever seen.
This old town’s alright with me, there’s nowhere I’d rather be.
Long as they stay mad at one another, they can’t get mad at me

Every time I leave here something bad happens to me
Like a busted hand or finding some man laying where I sleep
She don’t mean nothing to me, that’s just how it goes round here
It’s a cartoon town, I play my part, and I ain’t spoke her name in years

So Marry Me.........

I don’t want anything I done to be nobody’s fault
even if they got more money and mouth than they got balls.
That’s just how it went down, right or wrong, it’s just that way.
Just cause I don’t run my mouth don’t mean I got nothing to say....

Marry Me.........
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

mhc

Post by mhc »

One of my all time favorites to hear live.
The first time I heard this on anything was a show from Pensecola,Fl in May of 02.
Knocked me out.
Agree that when this gets rocked at a show, I turn myself up to 11.
Isbell used to smoke this one.
"I wonder who gets the donkey"
Clams

helmespc

Post by helmespc »

Smitty wrote:
GuitarManUpstairs wrote:

Thats funny.... I play "Dead Flowers" in the car sometimes and yessaidyes always thinks its some rare Cooley song she'd never heard.... now its to the point that it sounds like Cooley to me, too....

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

We've been invited to a Royal Wedding party. We have to dress up in a theme of British "Success or Failure". My girlfriend bought a used wedding dress (with tail) yesterday and is coming as Lady Di on her wedding day. I guess I'm going to have to supply "Marry Me" for the party playlist.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

PeterJ wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:The very first DBT song that caught me. StevieRay gave me a copy of DD and Marry Me just clicked even though the rest didn't at first. My first thought was that it sounded like it could have been a lost track of Exile on Main Street (great minds and all that sacto...) and that wasn't a bad thing at all. I often think if it wasn't for this one I may have shelved DBT for years and who knows, I may never have caught the bug. Great song.

Doesn't this throw your whole (pun recognized) "album" theory out the window? ;)

Old threads never die they just hang out until they become germane to the discussion again. :lol: I dug this one out after the talk over in the Jason forum about this song and the Already Gone riff (something I still think is minimal, to me anyway) and noticed that I never responded to this and of course my approach to albums has come up yet again in Other Bands.

Anyway here's my answer, 28 months late; I don't think this negates my album approach at all, in fact it defines it. I loved one song on Decoration Day and put it on a couple of playlists, but it didn't quite draw me in or get me to listen to the record. The live show did that. Now I agreed to go to the live show because I liked this song (they played it third song in) but the record eluded me until then. Again I'm an odd man but now this is a top ten record of all time for me so alls well that ends well.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Homecoming 2015

Always go to the show

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Jay is the man.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

super cool single shot.

cooley tv.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

dime in the gutter wrote:
super cool single shot.

cooley tv.
Nice! That was my second DBT show.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs