Colorado shows

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

colodogdoc

Colorado shows

Post by colodogdoc »

Hi everybody,
I've done a fair bit of lurking over the past year but here's to my first post (<takes long sip from cool Colorado microbrew>). Feeling neighboring state embarrassment over the lack of details on the Tucson show last night, so I'm gonna put this one out there now and I promise to try to do my best to post details and possibly a couple of semi-coherent set lists from the Boulder and Fort Collins shows. I used to make fun of people who wrote set lists at shows; now I've become one. DBT will do that to you.

Short history on me: a friend sent me TDS in 2005 and I was intrigued. Went to see them that year and was blown away. Couple years later I swore Cooley was looking right at me as he sang about being pulled out of the ditch by his girlfriend's daddy in high school, and I was sure he knew that that had happened to me, too (except I was the girl). Slow, smoldering infatuation grew to full-blown love in Athens this year. It's official: I'm obsessed.

Who's in for the Colorado shows?

CDD
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Colorado shows

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Welcome, colodogdoc!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Fatah Ruark

Post by Fatah Ruark »

As always...I'm in for all of them.

Boulder > Ft. Fun > Aspen

See you there!

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

one of my best friends will be at the Boulder show---it's her FIRST@!!
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Clams

Post by Clams »

colodogdoc wrote:Hi everybody,
I've done a fair bit of lurking over the past year but here's to my first post (<takes long sip from cool Colorado microbrew>). Feeling neighboring state embarrassment over the lack of details on the Tucson show last night, so I'm gonna put this one out there now and I promise to try to do my best to post details and possibly a couple of semi-coherent set lists from the Boulder and Fort Collins shows. I used to make fun of people who wrote set lists at shows; now I've become one. DBT will do that to you.

Short history on me: a friend sent me TDS in 2005 and I was intrigued. Went to see them that year and was blown away. Couple years later I swore Cooley was looking right at me as he sang about being pulled out of the ditch by his girlfriend's daddy in high school, and I was sure he knew that that had happened to me, too (except I was the girl). Slow, smoldering infatuation grew to full-blown love in Athens this year. It's official: I'm obsessed.

Who's in for the Colorado shows?

CDD

I wish I could be there. Oh well, we'll all have to live vicariously through you. Enjoy the shows and welcome to 9B, er 3DD.
Last edited by Clams on Fri May 07, 2010 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Welcome to 3DD, CDD. Clearly you're part of the family (same last name :D ). You might enjoy the pets thread in "everything else". And if you're serious about your microbrews, there are a few relevant threads but "what's everyone drinking" would be a good place to start.

As for your cooley obsession, get in line. Ummm, not behind me, i'm not that kind of guy*, but just sayin.

*Not that there's anything wrong w/ that.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

Thanks for the tips and the welcome, everybody. BTB, didn't really mean to imply that I'm obsessed with Cooley per se, seeing as how I'm happily married and he seems happily married and all. My obsession is more with the band as a whole, but there certainly is something about the way he leaves that ash danglin' while he wails on the guitar...

Ready for next week!

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

If you stick around long enough CDD, you will quickly discover BtB will do all he can to find a sexual angle with every post. Sounds like your obsession is perfectly healthy and shared by a good many 'round these parts.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

denverdawg

Post by denverdawg »

I'll be at the Boulder and Fort Collins shows. Looking forward to both, as I've never been inside either venue before. I've been to upwards of 25 or 30 Trucker shows, but I'll have first-timers along with me for both shows, which should make it even more fun. I think most people are pretty blown away when they see them for the first time.

Tried to get a hotel room up in Fort Collins, but it's CSU's graduation weekend - so everything was booked even two months ago. Oh, well. The better half will be driving home. We plan to get up there early on Friday, bike on the Poudre River trail, do the New Belgium tour, etc.

Less than a week!

Fatah Ruark

Post by Fatah Ruark »

No hotels. Crud.

I guess I should be driving back to Boulder anyway, since I need to drive all the way to Aspen the next day.

FYI: The Boulder Theater is very nice inside. Great selection of beers at the bar (I will be taking advantage of this since it's my night to not drive). Decent sound system, but not nearly as nice as the Fox. About 1/3 larger than the Fox with a nice balcony that is only open when they have sold enough tickets. I like pre-show beers at George's which is attached to the venue. They often let people in though the George's entrance before the main entrance.

The Aggie is about the same size. No balcony. It's sort of a dump. CHEAP beer which I won't be able to take advantage of now that I have to drive home. They have the Fox's old sound system which sounds okay. I'm glad the Fox upgraded. Should be a good time with all the college kids partying hard since it's their last weekend to party in Ft. Fun before they go home. I plan on riding my bike there as well. Probably hit up the Horse Tooth Res trails. Depends on how drunk I get the night before.

And for the folks going to Aspen, The Belly Up is one of my favorite venues. Small, Awesome sound, and a great staff. Beer prices are pretty fair for Aspen. They usually have a VIP section above the dance floor that will be filled with rich white Aspen-folk. If you like to check out the trophy wives with a lot of $$$ invested in their bodies, you will enjoy checking that area of the venue out. Only downer is that the VIP section tends to be pretty chatty. They are there because they are "important" people and don't really care about the music. I have seen Cooley and Patterson get pretty pissed at that area of the venue when I've seen them there in the past. Hopefully they play loud enough that I don't notice them. Bike ride of the day will be up Independence Pass. I'm pretty sure it's still closed to cars, but they usually start plowing whatever snow is left off the road, so it's all bikes and no cars. Pretty nice. Need to line up a place to stay. If I can find a good deal I'll stay in Aspen, otherwise I might drive back to Glenwood.

ccdonah

Post by ccdonah »

Been awhile since I've been in these parts..... It used to be a different site, change is good. Hope all is well with everyone, can't tell you how pumped I am for these shows. Anyway, hope to see some good music and good people. See you all in Boulder

ccdonah

Fatah Ruark

Post by Fatah Ruark »

Just noticed that the MEAT PUPPETS are opening in Aspen.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oh, and for the Colorado Peeps. Have you noticed that The Secret To A Happy Ending will be screening in Golden at the end of June. Same weekend as Panic, so hopefully that doesn't interfere with that...although I'd change my schedule if the DBT file is on Friday night (the day I got Panic tickets). Shouldn't be too hard to swap a Friday Panic ticket for a Sunday Panic ticket.

Skibum69

Post by Skibum69 »

Well Hot damm, Just signed up and a big fan of the truckers. How big of a fan. I will be at the Aspen show with a long time friend who is flying in from New Jersery for the show. For those who have not been to the Belly Up. Its the best place in the Roaring Fork Valley if not the state for a small show (only 300 + people ). That being said anybody know where they are posting set lists from the recent shows. Would love to get an idea of what we are going to hear????

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Skibum69 wrote: That being said anybody know where they are posting set lists from the recent shows. Would love to get an idea of what we are going to hear????

You might check the set list database on the main page
Always go to the show

Skibum69

Post by Skibum69 »

Well that was easy, Mucho grassyass. Is that "people who Died" the Jim Carroll tune ???? if so they are reading some of my playlist LOLOL What a treat to hear them play that song.

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

Just saw my last patient...headed for Boulder in a couple of hours!

Tomorrow night we may be at Equinox Brewing, which is just behind and south of the Aggie on Remington. It's a cool space, good beers and good vibe. I'll be the tall blonde with the big mouth in the middle.

See you at the ROCK SHOW!!!

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

sorry but where are the setlists? trying to find last night's show's list.....
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Fatah Ruark

Post by Fatah Ruark »

Penny Lane wrote:sorry but where are the setlists? trying to find last night's show's list.....

I'm still recovering!

They did play Ray's Automatic Weapon. I thought I heard Patterson say it was the first time they've played it live...but I could have sworn I've seen it in setlists before.

I'll have the setlist and recording ready to go today.

Heading up to Ft. Fun at 4 from Boulder.

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

OK, alive and functioning (marginally) after 5 hours of sleep. With the exception of filling the pet's water bowl full of scalding hot water, I'm doing pretty well this morning. What a show last night. Pulled into Boulder around 7 and spotted the bus, then immediately spotted Jay and Patterson crossing the street. Hollered "Patterson!" and honked, and got a wave back. Good start to the night.

The Boulder Theater is a beautiful venue. Great sound, the place was packed. Not quite a sellout but it couldn't have been far from one. Great crown, everyone seemed really into it and no fighting assholes like in SLC. I won't even bother posting my shitty iPhone pictures. A guy next to me was taking lots of shots and had a really nice camera; hopefully they will show up somewhere on here. Got there just as the Henry Clay People were finishing up a Jackson Brown cover. They sounded great, will try to get there earlier tonight to see them.

The stage looks just amazing with the banners, and in case you didn't hear, the large backdrop with the circus train is NOT the one that was stolen, it was the smaller "You Got Another" sidedrop. Ended up behind the person on the rail, smack dab between Cooley and Patterson. Cooley was rocking a denim sportcoat that looked like he borrowed it from The Brady Bunch's wardrobe department. Got to shake his hand after the show...as has been previously noted, it is remarkably soft.

Now I must share with you the sad news that I diligently kept the setlist, digging the wadded up piece of paper out of my pocket at the start of each song to the point that the guy next to me finally said, "So I guess you're not writing down your phone number for me, right?", but I lost it. Hopefully someone else wrote the songs down. Sorry I failed in my first 3DD assignment. I will do better tonight. I did score a copy of Your Woman is A Livin' Thing. Craig was doing a booming business last night.

I can tell you that we got the world premiere of "Ray's Automatic Weapon" last night, and it was phenomenal. I was standing there thinking about what a great song it is, and it dawned on me that there is a whole 'nother album waiting in the wings and likely every bit as good as this one. The songs from TBTD were spot on. What can be said that hasn't been said already? They are absolutely on fire right now, easily the best of my 10 shows so far.

Also got 72 (never heard it live), Uncle Frank, Life in the Factory, Zip City. Encore ended with a scorching Rockin' in the Free World with most of the Henry Clay People on stage. Shonna passed off her bass and spent the song drankin' and dancin'. God I love this band.

Now off to make lemonade and help my son set up a stand. Hopefully there's a nap in my future. Planning on riding bikes to the Aggie tonight for the show. Perhaps a Cooley sighting in downtown FoCo?

Roy

Post by Roy »

Fatah Ruark wrote:Just noticed that the MEAT PUPPETS are opening in Aspen.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oh, and for the Colorado Peeps. Have you noticed that The Secret To A Happy Ending will be screening in Golden at the end of June. Same weekend as Panic, so hopefully that doesn't interfere with that...although I'd change my schedule if the DBT file is on Friday night (the day I got Panic tickets). Shouldn't be too hard to swap a Friday Panic ticket for a Sunday Panic ticket.

I would love to see this show with the Meat Puppets opening. Sewn Together was one of my favorite albums from last year.

ccdonah

Post by ccdonah »

Awesome show last night. The band was definitely on fire from the start.

Highway 72 was incredible, the Zip city rocked, liked the new songs for the most part

solid performance. Patterson was handed a big ol joint (which he puffed) right before the encores. I think he said something to the effect of Gotta love Colorado" or something like that.

Love the Boulder theater, but man the boulder peeps are bit tight. No matter what show you see there. Entitle city baby!!

Here's hoping the band plays in Denver (not mile high music fest) for fall tour

God, their music makes me feel so good the next day..........

Clams

Post by Clams »

excellent reviews, people
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Skibum69

Post by Skibum69 »

Any Idea how many songs they played last night ?

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Sounds like a GREAT time last night...
Wishing i was in Colorado this weekend.

Enjoy YoSelf!
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

Fatah Ruark

Post by Fatah Ruark »

Here's the setlist from the Boulder Theater:

1. Intro (Your Woman Is A Living Thing)
2. The Fourth Night of My Drinking
3. Three Dimes Down
4. Life in the Factory
5. Gravity's Gone
6. Ray's Automatic Weapon @
7. Birthday Boy
8. Girls Who Smoke
9. Daddy Needs A Drink
10. A Ghost To Most
11. Home Field Advantage
12. Sink Hole
13. Uncle Frank
14. This Fucking Job
15. Get Downtown
16. (It's Gonna Be) I Told You So
17. Drag The Lake Charlie
18. Zip City
19. Ronnie and Neil
20. Road Cases
21. 72 (this highway's mean)
22. After The Scene Dies
23. Self Destructive Zones
24. Buttholeville > State Trooper

ENCORE:

25. Encore Intro
26. Marry Me
27. Jay's Circus Intro > The Flying Wallendas
28. Hell No, I Ain't Happy
29. Shut Up and Get On The Plane
30. Let There Be Rock
31. Rockin' In The Free World #

NOTES: @ 1st Time Played, # with The Henry Clay People.

Skibum69

Post by Skibum69 »

WOW, what a great show. Hope the one in Aspen is as good. I start partying tonight ( with a buddy from the Jersey) in order to get ready for tomorrow night. I am sooo looking forward to this.

Fatah Ruark

Post by Fatah Ruark »

Skibum69 wrote:WOW, what a great show. Hope the one in Aspen is as good. I start partying tonight ( with a buddy from the Jersey) in order to get ready for tomorrow night. I am sooo looking forward to this.

Make sure you come up and say hello and have a beer in Aspen. I'll be in the back corner of the dance floor with my gear.

Anyway...last nights show is ready to go:

http://bt.cotapers.org/torrents.php?id=422

Enjoy. And here's the one picture that came out okay:

klattdaddy

Post by klattdaddy »

Last night was my first DBT show and it rocked. Here is my attempt at a review:

http://wp.me/pTcSN-W

Please let me know what you think.

I'm jealous of all y'all headed to Fort Collins and Aspen.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

well done. puts me right in the room. keep writing.

Fatah Ruark

Post by Fatah Ruark »

an unknown voice going on and on about fucking a chicken

HA! That "unknown voice" is some guy named Mike Cooley. You might have heard of him! ;)

That song was the Cooley song from the A Side to the Record Store Day 7"

Nice review. I'm sure we will see you there next time they come to town.