Colorado shows

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

klattdaddy

Re: Colorado shows

Post by klattdaddy »

Yeah, I figured that out after I posted the review. I'm glad you caught it on your torrent. Can't wait to hear it again and doubt I'd have any luck finding the single.

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Fatah Ruark wrote:
an unknown voice going on and on about fucking a chicken

HA! That "unknown voice" is some guy named Mike Cooley. You might have heard of him! ;)

That song was the Cooley song from the A Side to the Record Store Day 7"

Nice review. I'm sure we will see you there next time they come to town.

I believe he was PLUCKING the chicken
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Welcome Klatt. Nice review. I especially liked:

"This is country music the way it is supposed to be: thoughtful, irreverent, full of narrative and fueled by three hardcore electric guitars that rev like diesel engines burning down a highway. Hood, Cooley and John Neff each know how to throw down a power chord and scream a solo but their playing has developed in a way that allows for interaction. Each player has space in the arrangement and the structure they create is not a wall of sound so much as interlocking pieces that build and complement each other. But you feel the arrangement rather than notice it as the power of the Truckers’ sound grabs you by the gut and forces you to pump your fist and nod your head."
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

ccdonah

Post by ccdonah »

Not to rain on the parade, but "Hell no I ain't Happy" is a Patterson song.... Otherwise nice review.

Skibum69

Post by Skibum69 »

Count down to show time can't fucking wait, Need to know what they played last night. Any help would be great. See you all tonight!!!!!

Fatah Ruark

Post by Fatah Ruark »

Skibum69 wrote:Count down to show time can't fucking wait, Need to know what they played last night. Any help would be great. See you all tonight!!!!!

Completely different show last night. Much more Rockin!

I'd have to say, one of the best shows I've seen them do since Jason left.

Haven't had a chance to listen to the recording yet, and I'm not sure I'll have time to go through the entire thing before I leave for Aspen. The sound was WAY better last night. I've always hated the sound in the Boulder Theater...not enough juice in that sound system for my taste. I have only heard the Aggie sound that good one time before (for Gov't Mule).

Patterson did kick a couple of guys out for fighting in front of Cooley, and almost kicked another guy out later in the night.

HOT as FUCK in there. The Aggie either needs some AC or just open the doors when it's 40 degrees out, and raining.

SETLIST:

1. Intro (Your Woman Is A Living Thing) @
2. Drag The Lake Charlie
3. Where The Devil Don't Stay
4. The Forth Night of My Drinking
5. Birthday Boy
6. Girls Who Smoke
7. Marry Me
8. Your Daddy Hates Me
9. Self Destructive Zones
10. The Company I Keep
11. Sink Hole #
12. Carl Perkins Caddilac
13. Feb. 14
14. A Ghost To Most
15. Sante Fe %
16. Hell No, I Ain't Happy
17. Shut Up and Get On The Plane
18. Lookout Mountain

ENCORE:

19. Get Downtown
20. (It's Gonna Be) I Told You So
21. After The Scene Dies
22. Checkout Time In Vegas
23. Tails Facing Up
24. Women Without Whiskey
25. Let There Be Rock
26. People Who Died

NOTES: @ Pre-recorded played over PA, # Patterson kicks 2 guys out for fighting, % Dedicated Patterson's wife on their Anniversary.

Recording is ready to go for Ft. Fun:

http://bt.cotapers.org/torrents.php?id=423

klattdaddy

Post by klattdaddy »

Thanks to everyone who read my review, commented and/or corrected me. I appreciate the feedback. Hope to see some of you next time.

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

Coming back around to the routine of daily life after two incredible days of having the best rock band in the world in my neighborhood. I never understood how people could spend their lives following the Dead around until I met the Drive-By Truckers. Now I'm ready to buy a used VW van and hit the road. Sigh.

Last night marked a little over 5 years since my first DBT show, which was also at the Aggie in Ft Collins. There were maybe 100 people there that night. Last night's crowd was bigger than I have ever seen there, and I have seen a lot of shows at the Aggie. Heard unofficially that it sold out. Brought 6 neophytes with me and all were blown away. My 24 year-old friend said she never realized it until last night, but she had never really seen a *rock* show. She also said she now understands why lyrics are so important. Add another one to the "converted" column.

Spent the night in front of Neff and actually for the first time in my life saw him come to the front of the stage for a solo. All three of them did, actually, during LTBR. It was another amazing show, and I agree with Fateh that it was much more rocking than Boulder. The encore was full bore and I thought my head was going to explode during Lookout Mountain. Very odd that there was only one Shonna song and it was during the encore. Patterson was swinging the mic around by the cord during People Who Died.

There were actually two fights that Patterson broke up, but I think only the first resulted in somebody getting thrown out. The second was during Checkout Time in Vegas (got chills when Patterson and Cooley harmonized during the last lines). Cooley didn't miss a beat after the "Bloody nose" line by saying, "That's what that guy's gonna get". You gotta love and respect a band that cares so much about every aspect of their performance that they want to get the assholes out of the crowd so the rest of us can keep digging the show.

It was hotter than hell in there. Patterson's shirt was literally wringing wet. He changed at the break and the second shirt was every bit as wet as the first by the end. EZB made a point to come to the front of the stage at the end and personally hand his drumsticks to the little kid that was standing next to me.

My overall impressions after seeing these two shows are that these guys are at the top of their game right now. Their musicianship is remarkable, their songwriting continues to amaze, and despite the success that they are enjoying they seem to still be very grounded. Wishing I could have gone on to Aspen today. Hope everyone there gets a great show. The Belly Up is a top-notch venue. Cooley's guitar was about 18 inches from my face last year at their show in September. Enjoy.
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Good to see Checkout Time in Vegas showing up on the setlist

Fatah Ruark

Post by Fatah Ruark »

Back from Aspen. Great show. The Belly Up is such a great place to see a show. Incredibly nice venue, with an awesome staff, and a great sound system. And they treat tapers well too.

The Meat Puppets opened, and were awesome. I have only seen them once before, opening for Ween at Red Rocks last year. Red Rocks is not really the right type of venue for the Meat Puppets, neither is the Belly Up, but at least it's the right size. They would be great to see in a venue the same size as the Belly Up...but a lot shittier!

Truckers put on another really rockin' set. Crowd wasn't as rough as Ft. Collins. Seemed like there were a good number of first timers.

Anyway, we got a great spot in the middle of the front drink rail. Perfect sight lines, and the perfect place to record.

Here is the setlist from Aspen:

1. Intro (Your Woman Is A Living Thing) @
2. After The Scene Dies
3. Where The Devil Don't Stay
4. Life In The Factory
5. Uncle Frank
6. Sink Hole
7. Birthday Boy
8. Girls Who Smoke
9. Daddy Needs A Drink
10. 72 (this highway's mean)
11. Toast to Patterson and Rebecca's Anniversary
12. Sante Fe
13. Women Without Whiskey
14. Tails Facing Up
15. A Ghost To Most
16. (It's Gonna Be) I Told You So
17. Get Downtown
18. The Forth Night of My Drinking
19. Gravity Is Gone
20. Plastic Flowers On The Highway
21. Zip City
22. Road Cases

ENCORE:

23. The Flying Wallendas
24. 3 Dimes Down
25. Hell No, I Ain't Happy
26. Let There Be Rock
27. Shut Up And Get On The Plane

ASPEN RECORDING: http://bt.cotapers.org/torrents.php?id=424

Close call, but out of the 3 Colorado shows I'd probably put Ft. Collins first, Aspen second, and Boulder third.

justin5s

Post by justin5s »

Hey guys...long time lurker on both 9B and 3DD...just wanted to give out some kudos for the show in Fort Collins on Friday night. Thanks to all you awesome folks who were there and who helped keep the peace when a few turds in the punch bowl couldn't handle themselves. It was great to see everyone come together to get him out of there and keep him from ruining the rock. Nothing better than singing every word to ever song with a bunch of strangers...sorry if I gave out a few too many high fives! Thanks to the band, crew, Jenn et al for making it all happen. That show made my summer, and it's just May. Hope they get back to CO sometime soon, and you're all welcome to PM me next time, if you're in need of some of those fine Colorado brews, or anything else that we might make or grow locally here. Thanks to you all!!

mgsooner

Post by mgsooner »

Man, you guys got some hellacious setlists.

denverdawg

Post by denverdawg »

At this point, I think everyone has summed it up quite well - but I can vouch for everyone's opinion that the Colorado shows were awesome and that the Fort Collins one was a 'best of' performance, and I'm basing that off seeing about 25-30 shows since 2003.

The Fort Collins show reminded me of a 40watt show in terms of it being hot and sweaty, full to the brim, rowdy as hell, and lots of folks that appeared to be huge fans. The fight was unfortunate, but not surprising. I've never been to a show where so many people tried to crowd down front right before the band went on. As has been discussed on here, that's not really cool.

The Boulder show was great because of the breadth of the setlist. It had been awhile since I saw the band play for that long in one night. I agree that the sound was not great in Boulder. My ears were ringing a lot worse on Friday morning than they were on Saturday morning.

Oh, and Justin5s - I assume you are the fellow Georgian that was near me at the show. If so, good to meet you. What a hell of a show. If you still have my card, send me an e-mail re: getting New Belgium for the UGA/CU tailgate in October!

See y'all at the next rock show.

justin5s

Post by justin5s »

hey denverdawg...that was me indeed...unfortunately, that show was so good that i managed to lose your card, my hat and my sister's wallet somewhere between the Aggie and my house...give me til next wed to try and track that stuff down...if I can't, i will PM you...helluva show!