Webisode #3

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

dbtfan4life

Webisode #3

Post by dbtfan4life »

Just absolutely amazing!!! what a great video. suggest u watch it. Thank God For DBT!!!!!

sfbamaAAW

Re: Webisode #3

Post by sfbamaAAW »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPAMT2dlEMg[/youtube]

Weird: Youtube code not working. Here's link. Also on front page of 3dd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPAMT2dlEMg

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I just finished watching the Webisode and, as one who has lived inside a parsonage since 1995, I have some comments on the song from my perspective.

The story behind the song is pretty much the way Patterson Hood tells the story. A popular, thirty-something pastor with a young family (every congregation believes that if they hire a pastor with his profile all their problems will miraculously disappear and other perfect families will automatically join) doesn't show up for Wednesday evening services. A few trustees decide to check out the parsonage to see what the hold up is. (One of the many oddities of being a minister is that at least a half dozen people in the congregation have keys to the home you live in. Some of these people have very bad boundaries and consider it their right to enter your home at any time without even knocking or calling first.) They find their minister dead on the bedroom floor. The wife and children are missing.

Matthew and Mary Winkler seemed like the perfect family. Of course, the "perfect" family does not exist. But congregations project this image onto their pastor and pastor's family. When something happens to obscure this image of domestic perfection two predictable things happen. 1) The congregation will ignore this, pretend it doesn't exist. For example, a pastor's seventeen year old son's sexual preference for those on the home team may be obvious to everyone else in town, but members of the pastor's congregation will fail to see the obvious, even to the point of trying to fix up their daughters or nieces with the young man who is counting the days until high school graduation allows him to move someplace more tolerant. 2: The other predictable reaction is that the congregation overreacts and the pastor's job is in jeopardy. When my ex-wife (also a pastor) became pregnant with our first son a number of people in her congregation freaked out. Ministers are not supposed to have sex! Didn't matter that we were married. All that mattered was that their lady preacher was pregnant and, unless she was the Vigin Mary, there was only one way she could have ended up in that position.

It is against this backdrop that Matthew and Mary Winkler lived their life. Like most young clergy families, they had pretty serious financial problems. Protestant churches want to have it both ways when it comes to their clergy. On one hand, they require a Masters degree for ordination. (A degree which will cost close to $50,000 in tuition alone.) On the other hand, most protestant ministers in their first decade of ministry earn considerably less than most people in the community they serve. (Rabbis, who are required to have the same level of education as protestant ministers can expect a starting salary of $100,000 after graduating from Rabbinical school. That is enough to cause many a Christian pastor to contemplate converting to Judaism.) The Winkler family's financial state worsened when, a few weeks before the shooting, Mary fell for the Nigerian scam. (The email message you get where the nephew of the president of Nigeria will give you one million dollars if you will allow him to transfer his money into your bank account. Yeah, she fell for that one.) What little money they had in their savings and checking account was gone.

Something in the Winkler household had to give. The combination of living in a fishbowl and the financial stresses probably put the marriage at the breaking point. In their community, ministers aren't supposed to have marital problems. If the congregation got wind that all wasn't well in the Winkler household the image they projected onto their pastor would fall. The man could have ended up losing his job and, if the problems resulted in divorce, his ordination. What happened was that Mary Winkler ended up shooting her husband dead.

The song focuses on the trial of Mary Winkler. The story takes place in the region of the USA called "The Bible Belt". This region includes the states of Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennesee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisianna, and parts of Florida, Virginia and West Virginia. Very simply, it is called "The Bible Belt" because the majority of the residents are active members of protestant congregations and express and evangelical and (sometimes) fundamentalist understanding of the Christian faith. A jury of Mary Winkler's peers would consist of women who were active members of an evangelical protestant congregation.

The "audible gasp" occurs when Mary Winkler's lawyer puts on display the Afro wig, high heel shoes, and slinky lingerie her husband allegedly had her wear to spice up their sex life. Now, in those parts of the United States where the majority of the people do not regularly participate in evangelical, protestant congregations the reaction to this evidence would have been, "So what?" Most married couples try different things to add excitement to their sex lives after a few years of marriage. Most marriage counselors will say that this is healthy provided neither party feel coerced and that the sexual needs of both are honored. Victorias Secret is a hugely profitable chain whose clientelle is largely married women who will pay upwards of $50.00 for a set of lingerie which probably cost less than a dollar per piece to manufacture. If Matthew Winkler were an attorney instead of a clergy man I doubt even in the county where the case took place high heels, an afro wig and a slinky nightie would be enough to convince the jury to find his killer "not guilty" of first degree murder. However, Matthew Winkler was a minister. In that community, church goers do not think of their ministers as human beings with sexual urges.

Matthew Winkler was rasied in a preacher's home. His family were all prominent ministers in his denomination. The women he was raised around did not wear revealing clothes and were expected to embody the demure, proper image of a minister's wife. For men, our sexual fantasies are usually quite simple. We fantasize about the things which we were raised to believe are forbidden, that which is opposite the image we are expected to project. So, a high powered business executive might fantasize about being dominated by a woman. Or someone with Matthew Winkler's background might fantasize about having sex with a prostitute. Perfectly understandable to any person who had ever taken a 100 level Intro to Psychology course. The problem? If Matthew Winkler's community of faith were to find out that their minister harbored secret fantasies about hookers, that he made his wife dress up like a prostitute, the perfect image that had been projected onto him solely due to his position in the congregation would crumble. He'd be ruined. Likewise, if a jury made up of people who were members of similar congregations. So the prosecution, who had spent much of the trial portraying Matthew Winkler as the hardworking, honest preacher/family man, saw their case fall apart when his wife testified that her minister husband "forced" her to dress up like a prostitute before they had sex. That was what the audible gasp was about; that the person they had projected all their notions of what is holy and Godlike fell apart when it was revealed that he was no different than the average person when it came to his sex life.

The brilliance of "The Wig He Made Her Wear" is that Patterson Hood just tells the story; gives nothing but the bare facts. The power comes from the subtext; something that anyone who had even modest exposure to the cultural millieu of southern Tennesee or spent even a few months living in a parsonage would see. Matthew Winkler's homicide was deemed justifiable because he failed to live up to the image of the perfect pastor, because within his heart he harbored forbidden fantasies of prostitutes and exotic dancers. Never mind that there was no evidence presented that hinted he'd ever once visited a prostitute or a go-go bar. The mere fact that he "lusted in his heart" was enough to convince a jury made up of the same sort of people who were members of his congregation that his murder was justifiable, that he deserved to die. I doubt these same people would have come to the same conclusion if he'd been an accountant. Also, if the jury was made up of people who hadn't been to a church service since their wedding day I doubt Mary Winkler would have been let off the hook. Patterson Hood, however, sticks to the old writer's adage, "show, don't tell." And by showing us these details we, the listeners, learn something about people, religion, psychology and sex. We also learn something about our culture and ourselves.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Clams

Post by Clams »

RevMatt wrote:I just finished watching the Webisode and, as one who has lived inside a parsonage since 1995, I have some comments on the song from my perspective.

The story behind the song is pretty much the way Patterson Hood tells the story. A popular, thirty-something pastor with a young family (every congregation believes that if they hire a pastor with his profile all their problems will miraculously disappear and other perfect families will automatically join) doesn't show up for Wednesday evening services. A few trustees decide to check out the parsonage to see what the hold up is. (One of the many oddities of being a minister is that at least a half dozen people in the congregation have keys to the home you live in. Some of these people have very bad boundaries and consider it their right to enter your home at any time without even knocking or calling first.) They find their minister dead on the bedroom floor. The wife and children are missing.

Matthew and Mary Winkler seemed like the perfect family. Of course, the "perfect" family does not exist. But congregations project this image onto their pastor and pastor's family. When something happens to obscure this image of domestic perfection two predictable things happen. 1) The congregation will ignore this, pretend it doesn't exist. For example, a pastor's seventeen year old son's sexual preference for those on the home team may be obvious to everyone else in town, but members of the pastor's congregation will fail to see the obvious, even to the point of trying to fix up their daughters or nieces with the young man who is counting the days until high school graduation allows him to move someplace more tolerant. 2: The other predictable reaction is that the congregation overreacts and the pastor's job is in jeopardy. When my ex-wife (also a pastor) became pregnant with our first son a number of people in her congregation freaked out. Ministers are not supposed to have sex! Didn't matter that we were married. All that mattered was that their lady preacher was pregnant and, unless she was the Vigin Mary, there was only one way she could have ended up in that position.

It is against this backdrop that Matthew and Mary Winkler lived their life. Like most young clergy families, they had pretty serious financial problems. Protestant churches want to have it both ways when it comes to their clergy. On one hand, they require a Masters degree for ordination. (A degree which will cost close to $50,000 in tuition alone.) On the other hand, most protestant ministers in their first decade of ministry earn considerably less than most people in the community they serve. (Rabbis, who are required to have the same level of education as protestant ministers can expect a starting salary of $100,000 after graduating from Rabbinical school. That is enough to cause many a Christian pastor to contemplate converting to Judaism.) The Winkler family's financial state worsened when, a few weeks before the shooting, Mary fell for the Nigerian scam. (The email message you get where the nephew of the president of Nigeria will give you one million dollars if you will allow him to transfer his money into your bank account. Yeah, she fell for that one.) What little money they had in their savings and checking account was gone.

Something in the Winkler household had to give. The combination of living in a fishbowl and the financial stresses probably put the marriage at the breaking point. In their community, ministers aren't supposed to have marital problems. If the congregation got wind that all wasn't well in the Winkler household the image they projected onto their pastor would fall. The man could have ended up losing his job and, if the problems resulted in divorce, his ordination. What happened was that Mary Winkler ended up shooting her husband dead.

The song focuses on the trial of Mary Winkler. The story takes place in the region of the USA called "The Bible Belt". This region includes the states of Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennesee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisianna, and parts of Florida, Virginia and West Virginia. Very simply, it is called "The Bible Belt" because the majority of the residents are active members of protestant congregations and express and evangelical and (sometimes) fundamentalist understanding of the Christian faith. A jury of Mary Winkler's peers would consist of women who were active members of an evangelical protestant congregation.

The "audible gasp" occurs when Mary Winkler's lawyer puts on display the Afro wig, high heel shoes, and slinky lingerie her husband allegedly had her wear to spice up their sex life. Now, in those parts of the United States where the majority of the people do not regularly participate in evangelical, protestant congregations the reaction to this evidence would have been, "So what?" Most married couples try different things to add excitement to their sex lives after a few years of marriage. Most marriage counselors will say that this is healthy provided neither party feel coerced and that the sexual needs of both are honored. Victorias Secret is a hugely profitable chain whose clientelle is largely married women who will pay upwards of $50.00 for a set of lingerie which probably cost less than a dollar per piece to manufacture. If Matthew Winkler were an attorney instead of a clergy man I doubt even in the county where the case took place high heels, an afro wig and a slinky nightie would be enough to convince the jury to find his killer "not guilty" of first degree murder. However, Matthew Winkler was a minister. In that community, church goers do not think of their ministers as human beings with sexual urges.

Matthew Winkler was rasied in a preacher's home. His family were all prominent ministers in his denomination. The women he was raised around did not wear revealing clothes and were expected to embody the demure, proper image of a minister's wife. For men, our sexual fantasies are usually quite simple. We fantasize about the things which we were raised to believe are forbidden, that which is opposite the image we are expected to project. So, a high powered business executive might fantasize about being dominated by a woman. Or someone with Matthew Winkler's background might fantasize about having sex with a prostitute. Perfectly understandable to any person who had ever taken a 100 level Intro to Psychology course. The problem? If Matthew Winkler's community of faith were to find out that their minister harbored secret fantasies about hookers, that he made his wife dress up like a prostitute, the perfect image that had been projected onto him solely due to his position in the congregation would crumble. He'd be ruined. Likewise, if a jury made up of people who were members of similar congregations. So the prosecution, who had spent much of the trial portraying Matthew Winkler as the hardworking, honest preacher/family man, saw their case fall apart when his wife testified that her minister husband "forced" her to dress up like a prostitute before they had sex. That was what the audible gasp was about; that the person they had projected all their notions of what is holy and Godlike fell apart when it was revealed that he was no different than the average person when it came to his sex life.

The brilliance of "The Wig He Made Her Wear" is that Patterson Hood just tells the story; gives nothing but the bare facts. The power comes from the subtext; something that anyone who had even modest exposure to the cultural millieu of southern Tennesee or spent even a few months living in a parsonage would see. Matthew Winkler's homicide was deemed justifiable because he failed to live up to the image of the perfect pastor, because within his heart he harbored forbidden fantasies of prostitutes and exotic dancers. Never mind that there was no evidence presented that hinted he'd ever once visited a prostitute or a go-go bar. The mere fact that he "lusted in his heart" was enough to convince a jury made up of the same sort of people who were members of his congregation that his murder was justifiable, that he deserved to die. I doubt these same people would have come to the same conclusion if he'd been an accountant. Also, if the jury was made up of people who hadn't been to a church service since their wedding day I doubt Mary Winkler would have been let off the hook. Patterson Hood, however, sticks to the old writer's adage, "show, don't tell." And by showing us these details we, the listeners, learn something about people, religion, psychology and sex. We also learn something about our culture and ourselves.

I don't know, Rev. For me, it's all about the guitars.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Clams,

No problem is it is just about the guitars. For me, though, the song both touched me and outraged me. I've walked in Matthew Winkler's shoes. I don't think the man deserved to die just because he was a minister who wanted to spice up the sex life between him and his wife. And, as far as I'm concerned, the jury said that his death was justifiable when they came back with that verdict. It pisses me off if you want to know the truth.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Clams

Post by Clams »

RevMatt wrote:Clams,

No problem is it is just about the guitars. For me, though, the song both touched me and outraged me. I've walked in Matthew Winkler's shoes. I don't think the man deserved to die just because he was a minister who wanted to spice up the sex life between him and his wife. And, as far as I'm concerned, the jury said that his death was justifiable when they came back with that verdict. It pisses me off if you want to know the truth.

Couldn't agree more. She could've just left him.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Clams wrote:
RevMatt wrote:Clams,

Yes, but like all great art the song is open to a bunch of interpretive approaches. Maybe someone here can approach it from a feminist perspective. A woman trapped in a patriarchal culture snaps because in such a cultural context marriage is akin to prostitution. She finally realizes it when the man insists she dress up like a hooker, then blows his ass away. Not my interpretation but feminist literary and cultural interpreters might approach it that way.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

RevMatt wrote:
Clams wrote:Clams,

Yes, but like all great art the song is open to a bunch of interpretive approaches. Maybe someone here can approach it from a feminist perspective. A woman trapped in a patriarchal culture snaps because in such a cultural context marriage is akin to prostitution. She finally realizes it when the man insists she dress up like a hooker, then blows his ass away. Not my interpretation but feminist literary and cultural interpreters might approach it that way.

From the limited information I have about this case (news articles, the song, some things on the web) I think either view could be a valid one. Certainly the culture affected this incident one way or another.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

that song is a beast. cooley's guitar is freaky deaky bad ass.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

dime in the gutter wrote:that song is a beast. cooley's guitar is freaky deaky bad ass.

"freaky deaky bad ass" is the phrase of the day

Just to quibble a bit about the point of law, I dont think there was ever a question of murder (intention to kill), rather it was mans laughter: doing something crazy or stupid or reckless or careless and someone dies. The mindset of the perpetrator attracts different levels of culpability. Hence the line about the gun was a bluff and it juet went off. Of course there was only two people in the room and one was dead so you know, she WOULD say that.

I just thought "frigid bitch" who doesnt want to get a bit freaky every now and again.....
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

bigblockdodge

Post by bigblockdodge »

dime in the gutter wrote: cooley's guitar is freaky deaky bad ass.

Great line dime - have to agree with you and Clams, it's all about the freaky guitar interplay between Cooley and Neff as Patterson, Brad and Shonna keep the rhythm going.............

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Well I have to thank Patterson for giving me something to think about. Having just read up on the case that the song is based on, I'd have to say that 5 months in jail is a pretty light sentance for killing someone. That seems like a jury sentance but it was a judge's.

Rev, thanks for your perspective above and for what it's worth, I agree with you.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

mgsooner

Post by mgsooner »

Perhaps I'm a simpleton, but my question about the case is this: how does anyone really know that he made her wear a wig and high heels? Did she tell someone about it prior to blowing him away? If not couldn't it have been completely fabricated to save her own ass?

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

mgsooner wrote:Perhaps I'm a simpleton, but my question about the case is this: how does anyone really know that he made her wear a wig and high heels? Did she tell someone about it prior to blowing him away? If not couldn't it have been completely fabricated to save her own ass?

From what I've read, the prosecution was caught flatfooted and didn't even cross exam the witness to determine whether the wig and high heels were actually from the house or if she went out and bought similar ones. So your point is valid. It was never determined whether or not the wig and heels were from the house itself.

mgsooner

Post by mgsooner »

Then that is pretty amazing. Sounds like they need to find some new prosecutors.

jackpackterrier

Post by jackpackterrier »

great song no dout. guitar interplay makes it. mr. french rollins is da man. just wondering why the rise above lyrics? one of my alltime favorite songs.but lyricks by g. ginn? no flame intended. your post rock.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

mgsooner wrote:Then that is pretty amazing. Sounds like they need to find some new prosecutors.

Fred Goldman probably said the same thing when OJ tried to put on the glove.