DBT Tracks #43 - Love Like This

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: DBT Tracks #43 - Love Like This

Post by beantownbubba »

Let's remember that this all started when Smarty said that she wants this song to be played at her wedding. I hesitate to say anything on behalf of this group, but I think we can safely say that pretty much everyone who has commented would say that doesn't really seem to be the message one wants to deliver on that occasion (whatever the message itself may be LOL). Ummmmm, right? <ducking>
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Iowan wrote:I've always found this song to be twisted. I was almost shocked that people saw this as a song about a happy couple in a somewhat healthy relationship, and a celebration of that life.

I've heard it as a dude who's completely fucking trapped. His job sucks, and his home life is a fucking mess. He has this image in his head of great times with his woman, but it's a fucking living hell. His bitch mother in law shows up, they all fight, his woman assaults him, and he just takes it because what the fuck else is he going to do?

"Last night I slept with my boots on again, one cut on my forehead and one on my chin on the hard old floor with nothing to cover up with"
She doesn't even let him into the damn bed. He's passed out on the floor, drunk, bloody and freezing.

"It's a shame to know most folks don't ever know love like this"
Off-Handed Sarcasm 101. I imagine Cooley saying this with a smart ass tone.

The guy in the song is miserable, but that's all he knows. It gives him a little peace of mind, but he's laying out the shitty details. He does not feel good about it, but he's content due to a perceived lack of options.

I suppose it's a testament to the band that one person have such a completely different interpretation of a song than someone else.

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Smarty Jones

Post by Smarty Jones »

Sorry y'all, didn't mean to spark such a heated debate!

Slipkid42 wrote:Smarty J. only stated that she loved this song (who wouldn't) & wanted it for her wedding song. She said that she hoped she could land that kinda man. I don't think she was referring to the alcoholic, low paying job aspect of that man; but to the loves me through thick & thin aspect of that man.

That's exactly what I was trying to get at. That's what *I* view as the whole undercurrent of the song. Even though the guy's life's a mess, I don't get the impression that he's going to run off and leave her anytime soon.

I'm a girl that hates flowers, rainbow-colored unicorns, and any fancy, glittery, magical shit, so the grim realities of the song don't really bother me at all. I rather like the idea that even when married life turns sour, a love is still strong enough to make it through. These people are not thriving, but they're surviving. I would absolutely love to have the knowledge that even if worst comes to worst, if my man is trapped in a job he hates, sinks into alcoholism, has a pack of in-laws who would just love to kill him if given the chance, and I turn into a mad, raving bitch (as I have the tendency to do from time to time), in short, if things are about as fucked up as they can be, he's still going to love me. That, to me, is more romantic than the most flattering, flowery, lovesick piece of poetry ever written.

I'm sorry again for all the trouble I caused. I'll promise to keep my stupid mouth shut next time. :oops:
SMITH: Either I'm dead right or I'm crazy!
SEN: You wouldn't care to put that to a vote, Senator?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Please DO NOT keep your mouth shut Smarty! This place is for all opinions and you have a different view than many here. Keep up the good work!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Please DO NOT keep your mouth shut Smarty! This place is for all opinions and you have a different view than many here. Keep up the good work!

X2!
I havn't been in on this conversation, but have loved reading peoples different takes on it. Please don't hide your opinions just because your afraid you'll be in the minority. Look around this place, not you sure want to be like everyone else. ;)
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Smarty Jones wrote:Sorry y'all, didn't mean to spark such a heated debate!

I'm a girl that hates flowers, rainbow-colored unicorns, and any fancy, glittery, magical shit, so the grim realities of the song don't really bother me at all. I rather like the idea that even when married life turns sour, a love is still strong enough to make it through. These people are not thriving, but they're surviving. I would absolutely love to have the knowledge that even if worst comes to worst, if my man is trapped in a job he hates, sinks into alcoholism, has a pack of in-laws who would just love to kill him if given the chance, and I turn into a mad, raving bitch (as I have the tendency to do from time to time), in short, if things are about as fucked up as they can be, he's still going to love me. That, to me, is more romantic than the most flattering, flowery, lovesick piece of poetry ever written.

I'm sorry again for all the trouble I caused. I'll promise to keep my stupid mouth shut next time. :oops:

No, no, please don't apologize and please don't shut up. Great post!!!!

I think we both understand or appreciate the intensity of the love portrayed in the song, yet still react to it so differently. It's the kind of thing i love about this site and the people who populate it. It's wonderful, fascinating stuff. We need more of it!! :D

PS And GW ain't wrong ;) :)

Sub

Post by Sub »

This board would be boring as shit if everyone agreed on everything.

Smarty Jones

Post by Smarty Jones »

Thanks, y'all! Glad to know I'm not in the doghouse or anything. :D

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Please DO NOT keep your mouth shut Smarty! This place is for all opinions and you have a different view than many here. Keep up the good work!

GW in IA wrote:X2!
I havn't been in on this conversation, but have loved reading peoples different takes on it. Please don't hide your opinions just because your afraid you'll be in the minority. Look around this place, not you sure want to be like everyone else. ;)

beantownbubba wrote:No, no, please don't apologize and please don't shut up. Great post!!!!

I think we both understand or appreciate the intensity of the love portrayed in the song, yet still react to it so differently. It's the kind of thing i love about this site and the people who populate it. It's wonderful, fascinating stuff. We need more of it!! :D

PS And GW ain't wrong ;) :)

In this case, I'll remember to speak up more often! ;)
SMITH: Either I'm dead right or I'm crazy!
SEN: You wouldn't care to put that to a vote, Senator?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Smarty Jones wrote:
In this case, I'll remember to speak up more often! ;)

That's great, but may i put in a personal request that u keep your extensive knowledge of equine intestinal diseases to yourself? Thank you in advance. :lol: :lol:

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Smarty Jones wrote:I'm a girl that hates flowers, rainbow-colored unicorns, and any fancy, glittery, magical shit, so the grim realities of the song don't really bother me at all. I rather like the idea that even when married life turns sour, a love is still strong enough to make it through. These people are not thriving, but they're surviving. I would absolutely love to have the knowledge that even if worst comes to worst, if my man is trapped in a job he hates, sinks into alcoholism, has a pack of in-laws who would just love to kill him if given the chance, and I turn into a mad, raving bitch (as I have the tendency to do from time to time), in short, if things are about as fucked up as they can be, he's still going to love me. That, to me, is more romantic than the most flattering, flowery, lovesick piece of poetry ever written.

luv this post! you gave me a new way of thinking about the song, Smarty...
that kind of man is what we're all searching for i guess ;) :?
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Sub wrote:This board would be boring as shit if everyone agreed on everything.

Agreed - I don't think anybody on here hardly agrees on anything, period.

Keep it up, Smarty Pants!

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Smarty,

We all see things differently. Our perspective on a song says as much about us as it does about the song itself. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer because songs, books, films, poems speak to each of us in a unique way. Sometimes we see things the same way as the writer, sometimes it is completely different.

I see the song this way: Like many people nowadays, the local economy cannot support this man's family. He has to spend an entire week away from home in order to keep a roof over everybody's head, food on the table and clothes on everyone's back. The only decent job he can fine -- I imagine some type of machine shop or factory job -- is several hours away. He only gets to return home Friday evenings only to wake up super early Monday morning to drive back to the job. I know people who live this way.

His family life is a mess. Alcoholic dysfunction, a meddling mother in law, a wife who may be pretty but is also bat shit crazy. He may love her, but in her mind he is just a source of a paycheck.

I think Cooley wrote the sequel to this song a decade later. The guy is now unemployed. But she is "too pretty to work" and tired of him "uglying up her couch."
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

Bottle's don't have mama's.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

at cooley's house 12.29.2003 wins most bad ass version contest.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Smarty,
My wife and I have often said that we'd have this song played at our wedding if we got married today...not at the church service, but at the reception! We'd probably join arms with all of our friends and have a sing-a-long!

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Clams wrote:I prefer the live electric version off AAW to the acoustic version off PD.

I love them both but the "more, God damn it!!" at the end of the live track leaves nearly as indelible impression as the song itself. If my memory serves from years on the DBTs Yahoo Group, that's either Matt or Marcus Thompson. Not sure if either of those fellas post here.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Yet Another Lookout Mountain, a comment by one of my very favorite SF fans. I'd bet dollars to donut holes that Patterson didn't mean, "I'm not going to be another goddam SoCal singer/songwriter!" and that's almost a shame. I'm even more sure he didn't mean, "I'm not going to be found on the site of a noted science fiction story," either, which is also almost a shame. But I like the results we got just fine.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

So when Cooley sings "It's a shame most folks never will know a love like this", you figure he means:
  1. It's a really great kind of love most folks miss out on
  2. It's a really complicated kind of love that's what a lot of people have
  3. It's a really fucked-up kind of love that would teach most folks a valuable lesson
  4. It's just the kind of love most folks deserve
or something else?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I think it's a total tongue in cheek line. Like "This shit's so fucked up, it's a shame other folks are missing out on this misery I suffer through<insert smiley face w wink>" kind of line

And why it hits home is most of us have been in these kinds of relationships where you step back and ask yourself "What the hell am I doing?!"
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Interestingly enough when Cooley played this recently at the Cat's Cradle he said he wrote it right up the road when he and his wife were living in Durham. Not sure it adds anything to the song analysis but I do wonder if there's pieces of the song that may be slight autobiographical.

I love this song. Love isn't always perfect, sometimes the best relationships aren't healthy, etc., and it's my opinion that's what the song represents.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Gaetzi wrote:I think it's a total tongue in cheek line. Like "This shit's so fucked up, it's a shame other folks are missing out on this misery I suffer through<insert smiley face w wink>" kind of line

And why it hits home is most of us have been in these kinds of relationships where you step back and ask yourself "What the hell am I doing?!"
Absolutely.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I think the line is more endearing, like "I know I just complained about all this shit, but damn I still love her"
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

dime in the gutter

does cooley do endearing?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

dime in the gutter wrote:does cooley do endearing?
Eyes Like Glue? Space City?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Flea

Post by Flea »

Zip City wrote:I think the line is more endearing, like "I know I just complained about all this shit, but damn I still love her"

Yep. This.
Now it's dark.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Zip City wrote:I think the line is more endearing, like "I know I just complained about all this shit, but damn I still love her"
That's a better way of saying what I was trying to say. And I agree.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

dime in the gutter

Zip City wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:does cooley do endearing?
Eyes Like Glue? Space City?
eyes like glue is the pre-qual to outfit...done 70s singer/songwriter style.

for me, space city is gutted....not endearing.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

John A Arkansawyer

Smitty posted a version from Saturday's show where Cooley says just a little about why he wrote this song.

He says a lot more, too. I for one support Cooley deciding to run his mouth--not that he needs my approval--because he's got something to say.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Thanks, Cooley!

This past weekend, I pissed off my wife (also a DBT fan), and she was justifiably pissed!

I’ve been married for almost a decade and a half, so today I was smart enough to call the florist.

When asked what to put on the card, I told the woman, “It’s a shame to know most folks don’t ever know a love like this!”

The woman on the phone commented on how “sweet” the words were, and I told her the words were not my own.

Maybe Cooley can offer to call and sing the song to our wives when needed for the next instillation of the Nuci’s Space auction!