Vancouver show

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

SouthernFriedCanuck

Vancouver show

Post by SouthernFriedCanuck »

FUCK!!! Twice I typed out a long review of this show, and twice I was asked to log in and twice I lost my post. FUCK!!!

Ray's Automatic Weapon
Where the Devil Won't Stay
Sink Hole
Unkle Frank
Go Go Boots
Cartoon Gold
Box of Spiders
Carl aperkins Cadillac
Dancin Ricky
Everybody Needs Love
Pulaski
The Rightious Path
Birthday Boy
Ronnie and Neil
Get Downtown
It's Gonna Be
Play it All Night Long
3 Dimes Down
Let There Be Rock
Used to be a Cop
Zip City
Mercy Buckets
Shut Your Mouth and Get You Ass on the Plane

Sorry, fast post, taking too long seems to fuck it up!!
"It's fucking great to be alive!"

badeconomist

Re: Vancouver show

Post by badeconomist »

Thanks for the setlist, SFC.

It was a great show (I was right up first row in front of Cooley, so how could it not be?). Pretty much among the best couple of hours one can spend on this planet. Sold out show in a much bigger venue (the Commodore, Vancouver's best live venue) than last time (the wee Biltmore, which was like having them play in my living room). That was almost three years ago, and given the very positive reception I'm hoping they will make Vancouver part of their regular west coast swing. Just that dang border causes problems for the band.

The GGB material is sounding really nice, and they played a lot of the album. Feels like the songs have more texture than on GGB itself due to the intensive touring. Neff continues to be outstanding on pedal steel and slide to add that texture; did not really hear Jay very much above the guitars. Anyway, that diversity mixed in with the classics makes DBT a better live band if such a thing is possible.

My only complaint is that the show was on the short side, clocking it at two hours, making it the shortest DBT show I've seen. When I see that they played 31 songs in San Fran last week, I'm a bit jealous and feel like a few more songs would have been extra sweet. And the vocals were a bit washed out and echo-ey up front. All a small price to pay for having Cooley solo in your face all night long.

My family has been sick with the flu all week and I've been mentally fighting getting sick. I'm just so glad I could be there. I'd love to kick down to Seattle but no can do. As luck would have it, they are playing in London when I'm there in early May, so I'm already looking forward to that show.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

SouthernFriedCanuck wrote:FUCK!!! Twice I typed out a long review of this show, and twice I was asked to log in and twice I lost my post. FUCK!!!

This kept happening to me. I finally started to copy before I submit. Then paste it on the blank Post A Reply that pops up.
Sounds like a great show!
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Clams

Post by Clams »

Slipkid42 wrote:
SouthernFriedCanuck wrote:FUCK!!! Twice I typed out a long review of this show, and twice I was asked to log in and twice I lost my post. FUCK!!!

This kept happening to me. I finally started to copy before I submit. Then paste it on the blank Post A Reply that pops up.
Sounds like a great show!

Copying before submitting is a must for any long post.

Thanks for the reviews.
If you don't run you rust

SouthernFriedCanuck

Thanks for the info folks. I don't know how to copy and insert. Why does my intelligence constantly come into question when it comes to computers??? Think I'll smoke some pot and think about that. :lol:

PuddleCat

Post by PuddleCat »

Hello DBT fans. We've been lurking on this site for over a year now, but after attending our first DBT concert at the Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver I could not lurk after what seemed like soneone's "plea" for news from the Pacific Northwest. So... I've created my account and am ready for my first post.

The band ROCKED!! We love their music; every lyric, note, facial expression (Patterson has the best dimples ever) & gesture (I think Shonna was having some fun with the audience to my right). We were 2 people back from the barricade with Patterson on the left and Cooley on the right. Life just doesn't get any better than that.

The variety of music they played from their albums was perfect (Thanks for the set list Southern Fried). Maybe it's my imagination, but I sensed Patterson was impressed with our singing to "Everybody Needs Love".

So... How are things in the Pacific Northwest? DBT was fabulous! I hope I get to see them live again.

Here are a couple links to pictures and one review:
http://www.guttersnipenews.com/the-late ... vancouver/
http://vancouver.concertaddicts.ca/2011 ... ing-grade/

PS - I give them way more than a passing grade!

Sub

Post by Sub »

PuddleCat wrote:Hello DBT fans. We've been lurking on this site for over a year now, but after attending our first DBT concert at the Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver I could not lurk after what seemed like soneone's "plea" for news from the Pacific Northwest. So... I've created my account and am ready for my first post.

Glad to see you decided to stop lurking and join in on the fun. 8-)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Welcome, PC, and thanx for the report!! Npw if you could just get yourself to Montana in, oh, the next 15 minutes or so, we'll be all set :)
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

SouthernFriedCanuck

My pleasure. Welcome to 3DD!!

badeconomist

Post by badeconomist »

A few more post-show reflections:

Sweetest Carl Perkins I ever heard ... perhaps related to the joint I had just smoked, but seriously fantastic version.

Killer electric version of Pulaski. I've had the 2001 acoustic version for a long time, and appreciated an acoustic band version on GGB. Fully electric was great. I'll have to pull a recording from somewhere else on the tour.

Mini-acoustic set for Cartoon and Box of Spiders. Not sure if they have done that in pre-2011 rock show (that are not acoustic in-store or Dirt Underneath), so it was great to see them pull out acoustic guitars (Neff playing slide on an acoustic lap guitar).

I'm not much of a fan of Shonna's songs, and had culled them from my playlist (GGB mixed with TBTD and the new Jason album) but the two she did sounded great with the full band weighing in.

London in May ... can't wait for the next one. And got home to note that Jason is playing close to my house June 13.

sfbamaAAW

Post by sfbamaAAW »

Finally got around to posting pictures from the Vancouver show. Only took a month...:

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1 ... &aid=16548

J.

Guybrush Threepwood

Post by Guybrush Threepwood »

Thanks for the photos! Great concert, great venue.
Hope they came back again, and not in 2.5 years!