DBT music on Justified

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

bogart

DBT music on Justified

Post by bogart »

Walton Goggins character on Justified lying down listening to "I Do Believe"!!!!

mike28212

Re: DBT music on Justified

Post by mike28212 »

very cool. I love that show. I'll have to listen for that when I watch it tomorrow morning.
"I'm zipping through the days at lightning speed."

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

One of our local NPR affiliates, WUNC, has been using "I Used To Be A Cop" as bumper music lately.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Haven't saw that show - I love Walton Goggins tho
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

bold99

Post by bold99 »

He must be a big DBT fan..I remember a scene in the Sheild where his character was sitting in a truck listening to DBT.

mike28212

Post by mike28212 »

That was a nice touch. My favorite band on one of my favorite shows.
"I'm zipping through the days at lightning speed."

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

bold99 wrote:He must be a big DBT fan..I remember a scene in the Sheild where his character was sitting in a truck listening to DBT.

Maybe you're aware of this, maybe you're not so apologies if it's the former but Walton was one of the stars of The Accountant, the 2001 Oscar winning short film that "Sinkhole" was partially inspired by.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
bold99 wrote:He must be a big DBT fan..I remember a scene in the Sheild where his character was sitting in a truck listening to DBT.

Maybe you're aware of this, maybe you're not so apologies if it's the former but Walton was one of the stars of The Accountant, the 2001 Oscar winning short film that "Sinkhole" was partially inspired by.

Also stars in Ray's Chrystal & Randy & The Mob, as well as That Evening Sun, all featuring DBT/Patterson music. He just about always gets a shoutout in the liner notes also

Sterling Big Mouth

Post by Sterling Big Mouth »

Favorite show on TV. Definitely cool that they're throwing DBT some love. For future episodes, Lookout Mountain would be a great background song if Raylan got supremely pissed off and started taking names and kicking asses in grand fashion (more than usual that is).
Three guitars or a life of crime

mikem

Post by mikem »

Still can't believe he killed lem

ruddyduck

Post by ruddyduck »

Does Walton Googins have some personal connection to the band? There music has been featured in a couple episodes of The Shield as well and it always surrounds the character he plays? Either way VERY COOL!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

ruddyduck wrote:Does Walton Googins have some personal connection to the band? There music has been featured in a couple episodes of The Shield as well and it always surrounds the character he plays? Either way VERY COOL!

Don't know anything about Goggins but check one of the most recent entries on the Troubadour show thread: He was there, and apparently even stood on line just like "regular folks."
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

ruddyduck

Post by ruddyduck »

I guess if I would have read all the posts above I could have answered my own question. Duh!

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Walton is associated with Ray McKinnon, who did The Accountant, produced, wrote and starred in That Evening Sun (a really great movie, Patterson's music aside) and they were going to do a TV series on AMC together about a guy who got off of death row which looked good. Never saw it come out though, I guess it got put on hold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walton_Goggins

B-rad G

Post by B-rad G »

I've never seen this show but it looks pretty intriguing. Does it take place in North Carolina?

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

ruddyduck wrote:Does Walton Googins have some personal connection to the band? There music has been featured in a couple episodes of The Shield as well and it always surrounds the character he plays? Either way VERY COOL!

He often namechecks DBT when he does interviews, publicity, etc. which I think is pretty cool.

Q: You’re the second Oscar winner out of Campbell High School. There are a lot talented people from Smyrna. Why do you think that is?

A: Not only Smyrna, but Georgia in general. Southerners are great storytellers. In the South, people spent a lot of time telling stories and that is how people entertained themselves. I think that is great fodder for creative endeavors, whether it is music or acting or writing or any of the other creative pursuits that people engage in. To this day, Drivin’ ‘N’ Cryin’ and Drive by Truckers are my favorite bands.

http://www.ajc.com/lifestyle/actor-walton-goggins-talks-564348.html

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

B-rad G wrote:I've never seen this show but it looks pretty intriguing. Does it take place in North Carolina?

Kentucky. More specifically Lexington and Harlan.

Sub

Post by Sub »

Never seen Justified but definitely rememberA Blessing And A Curse playing in the background on one of his shield scenes. Never saw the episode with 18 wheels of love but I just read on wiki there was one.

Pretty cool he has some pull with that kind of shit.

Smarty Jones

Post by Smarty Jones »

Ray & Walt were the guys that introduced me to DBT in the first place. They are both incredible guys and some of the finest and most underrated out in the entertainment business today. I've owned DVD copies of all their indie films since I was a kid. I figured anything awesome enough to keep popping up in their movies/television shows had to be worth listening to. I definitely wasn't let down!!

blackwll wrote:they were going to do a TV series on AMC together about a guy who got off of death row which looked good. Never saw it come out though, I guess it got put on hold.

Ray's been going through a lot of personal shit with the sudden death of his wife, Lisa Blount, last fall. Lisa was supposed to co-star with Walt in the pilot. My guess is this is the reason why it got put on hold.
SMITH: Either I'm dead right or I'm crazy!
SEN: You wouldn't care to put that to a vote, Senator?

Jenn

Post by Jenn »

Walton and Ray are both great friends and supporters of the band and just damn good people. I'd do anything I could to support either one of those guys.

From what I understand, Walt's character on Justified (fuckin' LOVE that show) was supposed to be killed off in the first season, but they loved him so much they wrote him into the second. If you watched the first season, Ray makes an appearance as a hit man in one episode, too.

It's funny how many places you'll see those guys. Matt and I were watching "The Stand" (the TV series version with Rob Lowe, gaaah) and Ray was the army guy who let the contagion out then died spectacularly. Thrilled that I'd never noticed it before, I immediately wrote him and told him I'd just watched it, and he responded with something like, "Yes, I've died in many films; sometimes it was even scripted."

Ray's put a DBT or Patterson song into almost all of his movies, and Walt's a big fan too. At the "Randy and the Mob" premier, Walt told us he loved to work out to DBT. I kinda laughed, but then tried it - hell yeah, they're great to work out to! Obviously - if you've seen Walt's abs in "Randy", you know that it works pretty frickin' well.

TMI, TMI, TMI.
-Jenn
どれだけ涙を流せば
貴方を忘れられるだろう
Just tell me my life
何処まで歩いてみても
涙で明日が見えない

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Wish like hell they'd commision DBT to re-do their theme song. The only part of that show that I can't stand (just started watching this week - bout to finish off season one)

Sterling Big Mouth

Post by Sterling Big Mouth »

[quote][/quote]

That was terrific. Uncle Vernon in the house. How awful about Lisa Blount.

On a more positive note, Walt's guest sermon was the high point of the first season. That and any time Ava was on the screen. Smitty, GREAT idea about a DBT theme song.
Three guitars or a life of crime

sg207

Post by sg207 »

Smitty wrote:Wish like hell they'd commision DBT to re-do their theme song. The only part of that show that I can't stand (just started watching this week - bout to finish off season one)

While I prefer DBT, I actually like the opening song. It's at least different, merging hip hop and bluegrass.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

Sub

Post by Sub »

sg207 wrote:
Smitty wrote:Wish like hell they'd commision DBT to re-do their theme song. The only part of that show that I can't stand (just started watching this week - bout to finish off season one)

While I prefer DBT, I actually like the opening song. It's at least different, merging hip hop and bluegrass.

I just started watching the show cause of this thread and like it, but I agree with Smitty that opening theme is awkward and out of place.

It just doesn't fit the show.

sg207

Post by sg207 »

Sub wrote:
sg207 wrote:

I just started watching the show cause of this thread and like it, but I agree with Smitty that opening theme is awkward and out of place.

It just doesn't fit the show.

Isn't awkward and out of place a good part of what the show is about?

Kentucky boy grows up, gets married, gets divorced, goes to Miami, gets sent back. Doesn't really fit in anywhere now. Gets in trouble for banging a witness to a case he's working on. Trying to win his ex-wife back, while her current crook-husband is doing the same.

And Boyd's character? Talk about not fitting anywhere. The guy appears to go from heartless, racist criminal, to devoted religious follower, and now is stuck somewhere in between unsure of himself.

I think awkward and out of place is a theme that runs in the show.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

Sub

Post by Sub »

I get your point but it still doesn't seem to fit the story to me, for example I think the Sons of Anarchy's theme song is pretty perfect for that show.

IDK can't make everyone happy I guess, still a pretty awesome show though and I'm only about 5 episodes in so far.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

The whole rap-country/bluegrass shit always sounds hokey to me. Reminds me of Bubba Sparks or godforbid Cowboy Troy./

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

opening track is about heroin.

Sub

Post by Sub »

Smitty wrote:The whole rap-country/bluegrass shit always sounds hokey to me. Reminds me of Bubba Sparks or godforbid Cowboy Troy./

lol Bubba Sparks how did he get famous enough that we even know his name. I can't tell you what he sang but I remember that fat fuck.(Hopefully most people here don't)

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Sub wrote:
Smitty wrote:The whole rap-country/bluegrass shit always sounds hokey to me. Reminds me of Bubba Sparks or godforbid Cowboy Troy./

lol Bubba Sparks how did he get famous enough that we even know his name. I can't tell you what he sang but I remember that fat fuck.(Hopefully most people here don't)

One of my nephews left a CD of this new (I'm assuming) "country rapper" called Colt Ford in my jeep the other night...

judge em for yerself...