just watched Secret to a Happy ending.

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Slobberbone

just watched Secret to a Happy ending.

Post by Slobberbone »

It was a very good documentary. Man, Jason looks so young on the earlier takes in the movie. I just got Go Go Boots. Patterson really seems to be headed in a new, refreshing time and sound. I was a little disappointed in Cooleys songs. These days, Zip City, Women without whiskey, 72, Where The Devil Don't Stay. I was really hoping to have something similar to these types. There isnt anything on the GGB from Cooley that I can really just crank up the volume and jam to. His new stuff sounds like older country/western, and lacking the in your face distortion, rock sound. Dont get me wrong. He is still my favorite. I kind of got off subject. Anyway..get the movie. I learned the story behind at least 10 of their songs just from watching this movie. These guys write the best lyrics of any band, period. Its too bad Jason left, but I understand the reasoning.
I also hear Slobberbone may make another album. If true, I cant wait. "Im a lazy guy" with Patterson is a classic. The truckers and Slobberbone is just about the only thing I have listened to the last 5 years. Everyone stay safe. Im going to listen to Gravities Gone. "and im just floatin"

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: just watched Secret to a Happy ending.

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Slobberbone wrote:\I just got Go Go Boots. Patterson really seems to be headed in a new, refreshing time and sound. I was a little disappointed in Cooleys songs. These days, Zip City, Women without whiskey, 72, Where The Devil Don't Stay. I was really hoping to have something similar to these types. There isnt anything on the GGB from Cooley that I can really just crank up the volume and jam to. His new stuff sounds like older country/western, and lacking the in your face distortion, rock sound.

Every interview, video clip and press release I've seen in conjunction with the release of Go-Go Boots has said it was a "country, soul, and murder ballad album" so that made it pretty clear from the onset that they're be no out and out rock songs on this album. I've seen at least one other person express disappointment that there was no rock songs on it which makes me wonder if they'd ever seen even one article about Go-Go Boots in the build up to it's release last month.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I think "Go Go Boots", "Used To Be a Cop", "Ray's Automatic Weapon" and "Mercy Buckets" rock. A song can be played at a slower tempo and still rock hard. Black Sabbath proved this on their first album. I have this argument with my drummer every week. Cooley had quieter songs in the vein of "Perfect Timing" and "Panties In Your Purse." Nothing wrong with that. He gave us "Get Downtown" and "Birthday Boy" on TBTD. Just put his rockers on one album and the country shuffles on the other.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Clams

Post by Clams »

RevMatt wrote:I think "Go Go Boots", "Used To Be a Cop", "Ray's Automatic Weapon" and "Mercy Buckets" rock. A song can be played at a slower tempo and still rock hard. Black Sabbath proved this on their first album. I have this argument with my drummer every week. Cooley had quieter songs in the vein of "Perfect Timing" and "Panties In Your Purse." Nothing wrong with that. He gave us "Get Downtown" and "Birthday Boy" on TBTD. Just put his rockers on one album and the country shuffles on the other.

Used to Be a Cop rocks as hard as anything. The playing is just really tight and restrained, just like the guy in the song.
If you don't run you rust

Slobberbone

Post by Slobberbone »

I never read reviews of albums. Everyone has a different take on music. Im listening to the song gogoboots right now. I love the slide in this song.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Slobberbone wrote:I never read reviews of albums.

I wasn't referring to reviews. I was talking about all of the publicity surrounding the release of Go-Go Boots that made it explicitly clear that it wasn't a "rock" album.

SouthernFriedCanuck

Post by SouthernFriedCanuck »

Anyway, just watched the DVD, I've had it for a while but was waiting for a night where I could get a coupla buddies together. It took too longto get them together, so I watched it by myself, up loud. I thought it was excellent!! Very, very well done. Great insight into the songs, the artists, the support people, and the band. I loved it!! I cannot wait to see it again with my stupid, non-commital friends. :lol:

On a side note: while in San Fransisco watching the second of two shows of "The Dirt Underneath" tour atThe Great American Music Hall, we all saw a camera crew filming some of the show. Was this some of the documentary that ended up on the floor? Or was this for something else?

Again, anyway, I loved "The Secret To A Happy Ending".
"It's fucking great to be alive!"

njMark

Post by njMark »

I've had the DVD since the Bowery show and still haven't had an opportunity to watch it yet. I just want to be able to watch it beginning to end without having to stop in between to do the thousand other things that come up daily in most of our lives, maybe I should just bring it to work and watch it.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I'm watching again. This is as easy to watch again as any of their albums are as easy to listen through.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Me and my baby's on runaway train...

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Iowan wrote:I'm watching again. This is as easy to watch again as any of their albums are as easy to listen through.

I've seen it three times and have at least one more watch in me before I put it away for a spell.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Iowan wrote:I'm watching again. This is as easy to watch again as any of their albums are as easy to listen through.

I've seen it three times and have at least one more watch in me before I put it away for a spell.

I would say it's been about 6 for me. I'm probably going to shelve until I get together with some of my buddies who are big DBT guys.