Favorite DBT record ???

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Duke Silver

Re: Favorite DBT record ???

Post by Duke Silver »

This seems like as good a place as any to pop my first post cherry.

1) Decoration Day -- Just a perfect album. The only song that isn't a classic for me is "Your Daddy Hates Me," and even that one's not that bad.

2) The Dirty South -- If I made a list of my 20 favorite DBT songs, TDS might be better represented than DD, but DD works better as an "album" for me. TDS starts to feel a bit leaden around track 9 or 10. Still an incredible album, though.

3) Brighter than Creation's Dark -- A bit long for my tastes, and I'm not a huge Shonna fan, but man, so many great Cooley songs. Great headphone album, too.

4) A Blessing and A Curse -- Can't really explain it. No one except Cooley is at the top of their game on this one, but when I pop it in the car stereo, it stays there for months.

5) Southern Rock Opera -- If this had been my first exposure to the band it would probably be my favorite, but coming to it later I prefer the albums with more country influence. And stuff like Moved and Cassie's Brother just doesn't measure up. A TON of great songs, though.

6) The Big To-Do -- Needs more time to get broken in.

7) Pizza Deliverance -- Great songs, but they were obviously still finding their voice on this one.

8) Gangstabilly -- Aside from "The Living Bubba," this one never really clicked with me.

And if "The Fine Print" counts as an album, I'd put it between Brighter and Blessing.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Duke Silver wrote:4) A Blessing and A Curse -- Can't really explain it. No one except Cooley is at the top of their game on this one,

IMHO... World of Hurt is about as "top of the game" as it gets! Don't get me wrong Gravity's Gone and Space City are great tunes. Side note: Aftermath USA is summorized best by our friend WWCD, "it's the best Stones song not written by the Stones".
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

bovine knievel wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:4) A Blessing and A Curse -- Can't really explain it. No one except Cooley is at the top of their game on this one,

IMHO... World of Hurt is about as "top of the game" as it gets! Don't get me wrong Gravity's Gone and Space City are great tunes. Side note: Aftermath USA is summorized best by our friend WWCD, "it's the best Stones song not written by the Stones".

wrong: that would be Three Dimes Down.

I had been been torn apart by a friend of mine for calling Cooley's voice "Jagger-ish" for years - then we had a few and it was right before BTCD was released and I had 3DD playing and said-friend asked "what Stones album is this?"

TKO
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

bovine knievel wrote:

Although the difference is subtle, I always though Aftermath USA sounded like a spot on Faces homage.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:

Although the difference is subtle, I always though Aftermath USA sounded like a spot on Faces homage.

I agree 100%, even though it was me that Bovine Knievel quoted
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Smitty wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:

I had been been torn apart by a friend of mine for calling Cooley's voice "Jagger-ish" for years - then we had a few and it was right before BTCD was released and I had 3DD playing and said-friend asked "what Stones album is this?"

TKO

I had a "is-this-a-Stones-song" moment the first time I heard Your Woman Is A Living Thing.

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Decoration Day. It was the flare that lit the conflagration. And it's still the best with Dirty South a close second.
Not forever, just for now.

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

hanklow wrote:Decoration Day followed by The Dirty South

+1

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Smitty wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:

TKO

That must have been a rather satisfying moment :) I assume that means the beer's on him for life.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:

Too subtle for me. I mean, if someone said it was "stones-ish" i'd agree, and i'd do the same if they said it was "faces-ish", but damned if i know why it's more one than the other. Please consider this to be a teaching moment.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Clams

Post by Clams »

bovine knievel wrote:

Agree with BTB that Aftermath makes me think Faces more than it does Stones. And Bovine, I agree about World of Hurt, though it shines much more on the live stage than it does on the record.
If you don't run you rust

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Aftermath definitely sounds like The Faces to me--the band even said it was inspired by non-stop listening to The Faces box set on the tour bus.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Clams wrote:I agree about World of Hurt, though it shines much more on the live stage than it does on the record.

I saw WOH performed live during The Dirt Underneath tour, from that day forward it has been one of my favorites.

Once upon a time, my advice to you would have been go out and find yourself a whore
But I guess I've grown up, because I don't give that kind of advice anymore

Gonna be a world of hurt / Gonna be a world of hurt / Gonna be a world of hurt

I was 27 when I figured out that blowing my brains wasn't the answer
So I decided, maybe I should find a way to make this world work out for me
And my good friend Paul was 83 when he told me; that "To love is to feel pain"
And I thought about that then and I've thought about that again and again

"To love is to feel pain" there ain't no way around it
The very nature of love is to grieve when it is over
The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
Better role them now before something else goes wrong
No, it's a wonderful world, if you can put aside the sadness
And hang on to every ounce of beauty upon you
Better take the time to know it there ain't no way around it
If you feel anything at all

So if what you have is working for you, or you think that it can stand a reasonable chance, and whatever's broken seems fixable and nothing's beyond repair
If you still think about each other and smile before you remember how screwed up it's gotten or maybe dream of a time less rotten
Remember, it ain't too late to take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got

It's great to be alive

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

bovine knievel wrote:
Clams wrote:I agree about World of Hurt, though it shines much more on the live stage than it does on the record.

I saw WOH performed live during The Dirt Underneath tour, from that day forward it has been one of my favorites.

Once upon a time, my advice to you would have been go out and find yourself a whore
But I guess I've grown up, because I don't give that kind of advice anymore

I was 27 when I figured out that blowing my brains wasn't the answer
So I decided, maybe I should find a way to make this world work out for me
And my good friend Paul was 83 when he told me; that "To love is to feel pain"
And I thought about that then and I've thought about that again and again

"To love is to feel pain" there ain't no way around it
The very nature of love is to grieve when it is over
The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
Better role them now before something else goes wrong
No, it's a wonderful world, if you can put aside the sadness
And hang on to every ounce of beauty upon you
Better take the time to know it there ain't no way around it
If you feel anything at all

So if what you have is working for you, or you think that it can stand a reasonable chance, and whatever's broken seems fixable and nothing's beyond repair
If you still think about each other and smile before you remember how screwed up it's gotten or maybe dream of a time less rotten
Remember, it ain't too late to take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got

It's great to be alive

Although "Goddamn Lonely Love" was the first DBT song I ever heard, "A Blessing and a Curse" was the first album I bought. I remember hearing the line, "I was 27 when I figured out that blowing my brains wasn't the answer So I decided, maybe I should find a way to make this world work out for me And my good friend Paul was 83 when he told me; that "To love is to feel pain" And I thought about that then and I've thought about that again and again." My response was "Word! It is about time somebody said that. We can't let Cobain have the last word." Then I heard the closing line, "It's great to be alive" and that clinched it for me. I'd just gone through months of chemo and a stem cell transplant. Didn't know how much time I had left, but I made a decision from that moment on I was going to throw myself into it with everything I got. That every morning my eyes are open and my feet are on the floor, I am just as alive as anybody else who woke up that day.

A true line, whether in fiction, poetry, music or film, can change your life. DBT joined the pantheon of artists who had that kind of impact on me. It is a very short list. Includes Jim Carroll, Echo and The Bunnymen, Raymond Carver, Tobias Wolff, Anton Chekov and John Coltrane.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

julianrch

Post by julianrch »

RevMatt wrote:Although "Goddamn Lonely Love" was the first DBT song I ever heard, "A Blessing and a Curse" was the first album I bought. I remember hearing the line, "I was 27 when I figured out that blowing my brains wasn't the answer So I decided, maybe I should find a way to make this world work out for me And my good friend Paul was 83 when he told me; that "To love is to feel pain" And I thought about that then and I've thought about that again and again." My response was "Word! It is about time somebody said that. We can't let Cobain have the last word." Then I heard the closing line, "It's great to be alive" and that clinched it for me. I'd just gone through months of chemo and a stem cell transplant. Didn't know how much time I had left, but I made a decision from that moment on I was going to throw myself into it with everything I got. That every morning my eyes are open and my feet are on the floor, I am just as alive as anybody else who woke up that day.

A true line, whether in fiction, poetry, music or film, can change your life. DBT joined the pantheon of artists who had that kind of impact on me. It is a very short list. Includes Jim Carroll, Echo and The Bunnymen, Raymond Carver, Tobias Wolff, Anton Chekov and John Coltrane.

DBT makin the kids less suicidal

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

julianrch wrote:
RevMatt wrote:Although "Goddamn Lonely Love" was the first DBT song I ever heard, "A Blessing and a Curse" was the first album I bought. I remember hearing the line, "I was 27 when I figured out that blowing my brains wasn't the answer So I decided, maybe I should find a way to make this world work out for me And my good friend Paul was 83 when he told me; that "To love is to feel pain" And I thought about that then and I've thought about that again and again." My response was "Word! It is about time somebody said that. We can't let Cobain have the last word." Then I heard the closing line, "It's great to be alive" and that clinched it for me. I'd just gone through months of chemo and a stem cell transplant. Didn't know how much time I had left, but I made a decision from that moment on I was going to throw myself into it with everything I got. That every morning my eyes are open and my feet are on the floor, I am just as alive as anybody else who woke up that day.

DBT makin the kids less suicidal

Cobain and Nirvana were not the band of our generation. DBT is because they speak the truth; that it is great to be alive, the community you come from does matter, you should never be condescending to anyone, a great story can be uplifting even if the ending is sad or the subject matter bleak, and that living in fear is just another way to die before your time.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

SandyBritches

Post by SandyBritches »

It's like asking "what's your favorite finger?"

I like 'em all, but they do different things for me. I don't want to live without any of 'em.

DragthelakeMike

Post by DragthelakeMike »

Well my 1st DBT album was Live at Austin TX and that was my turning point gettin into this kick ass rock band, Tho i am quite addicted to "The Big To Do" right now

I'm a bit of a newbie you could say, got into them late last year,
The albums i own are as follows

The Big To Do
Live at Austin TX
Brighter Than Creations Dark
The Dirty South
Decoration Day
Southern Rock Opera

update***

A Blessing And A Curse
Alabama Ass Whuppin' (on PC)
Gangstabilly
Pizza Deliverance (on its way in the post)

I must say i like them all! But you gotta say "Space City" is mind blowing
Last edited by DragthelakeMike on Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drag the lake Charrrlie, Charlie drag the laaake.

AprilTwister

Post by AprilTwister »

My favorite DBT album for the week of May 31st is:

Decoration Day
When the singer starts yodellin', you know you're in for a wild night

linkous

Post by linkous »

Sticking strictly to studio albums
DD
TDS
BTCD
SRO
PD
ABAAC
TBT-D
G-GB
GB

I have been a fan since TDS was released, but up till the last month or so I really struggled with SRO, it seemed too heavy rawk for my tastes. It used to be my second least favourite album by DBT, but I did like a good few of the songs so I always returned to it every few months, and for whatever reason it recently has started to push my buttons and I guess I have had some kind of epiphany and it has been promoted to 4th favourite!! Even songs like LTBR sound great to me now(I really did not like this song before, so thanks to those on the thread for the greatest hits album for helping me turn round on this song after I dissed it).
BTCD used to be lower down my list as well, but I recently got it on vinyl (had it on cd since release day)and I guess this is the way it really should be heard, in small chunks, the cd is maybe just a tad too sprawling.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Decoration Day is probably my favorite album of all time, and if it was the only album DBT ever released, they'd still be my favorite band. So, DD.

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

Rev. Matt:

Really enjoyed reading your rankings, especially concerning "Blessing And A Curse." Can't believe "When The Well Runs Dry" was not included. Do you have any insight as to why? I thought it was the best original song on The Fine Print.

OIT
Don't you dare cock block the rock (™)Smitty 2016 all rights reserved.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

for me its the first one I ever heard, being TDS. I really like GGB too.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

not tbtd.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

OkieinTexas wrote:Can't believe "When The Well Runs Dry" was not included. Do you have any insight as to why? I thought it was the best original song on The Fine Print. OIT

Could be because it's melody is a note-for-note rip off of the "Tweeter and the Monkey Man" chorus? :P

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

jimmyjack wrote:
OkieinTexas wrote:Can't believe "When The Well Runs Dry" was not included. Do you have any insight as to why? I thought it was the best original song on The Fine Print. OIT

Could be because it's melody is a note-for-note rip off of the "Tweeter and the Monkey Man" chorus? :P

Never heard of it

Seriously
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Zip City wrote:
jimmyjack wrote:

Never heard of it

Seriously

It's a Traveling Wilburys song:

gerg

Post by gerg »

Decoration Day

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I wouldn't have heard the similarity between those two songs had you not pointed it out. Calling it "note for note" is a stretch
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

DD closely followed by BTCD.

BTCD is too long but it has some great songs on it.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young