DBT on Conan 3/8

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Monty610

Re: DBT on Conan 3/8

Post by Monty610 »

For what it's worth, my 20 year old niece just downloaded ENL this week. Her current facebook status is "Just downloaded my first Drive- By Truckers song from iTunes. My uncle will be so happy". And I've never played anything by them for her. We don't spend that much time together as she's away at college. She may have checked them out on Conan because she saw me post that they were going to be on there (I made a challenge to my friends that if they "wondered why I was so crazy for DBT" to watch and see). But she made the decision to buy the song all on her own because she liked it. DBT selling songs to 20-year old girls is a good career development, actually...

Smarty Jones

Post by Smarty Jones »

Monty610 wrote:For what it's worth, my 20 year old niece just downloaded ENL this week. Her current facebook status is "Just downloaded my first Drive- By Truckers song from iTunes. My uncle will be so happy". And I've never played anything by them for her. We don't spend that much time together as she's away at college. She may have checked them out on Conan because she saw me post that they were going to be on there (I made a challenge to my friends that if they "wondered why I was so crazy for DBT" to watch and see). But she made the decision to buy the song all on her own because she liked it. DBT selling songs to 20-year old girls is a good career development, actually...

Monty...I'm in the same demographic as your niece. I'm a few months shy of nineteen, and I've been in love with this band since I was sixteen. There's hope for us young'uns yet! ;)
SMITH: Either I'm dead right or I'm crazy!
SEN: You wouldn't care to put that to a vote, Senator?

Monty610

Post by Monty610 »

Smarty, if I could *like* your post I would!

:D

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Just watched this again... another excellent performance and the sound was phenomenal.

Check out Patterson's smile after he shakes Conan's hand. Priceless..
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Monty610 wrote:Smarty, if I could *like* your post I would!

I really hope the Facebookization of the innerwebz never takes hold here but since this is already the second post I've seen where someone wants to "like" something it looks like it's already too fucking late. On one board I frequent some users have taken up the annoying habit of quoting people's entire posts without even replying in an effort to emulate the "Like" feature from Facebook. One thing I enjoy about message boards and email lists (like the DBTs Yahoo Group) is that they remain largely unaffected by Facebook but maybe I'm in the minority.

Monty610

Post by Monty610 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Monty610 wrote:Smarty, if I could *like* your post I would!

I really hope the Facebookization of the innerwebz never takes hold here but since this is already the second post I've seen where someone wants to "like" something it looks like it's already too fucking late. On one board I frequent some users have taken up the annoying habit of quoting people's entire posts without even replying in an effort to emulate the "Like" feature from Facebook. One thing I enjoy about message boards and email lists (like the DBTs Yahoo Group) is that they remain largely unaffected by Facebook but maybe I'm in the minority.

Relax. I was just being nice to the young lady.

It's better than quoting a post and just typing "this", or, the old "agree".

Sometimes (speaking for myself) you don't feel like trying to be eloquent, and ya just want to let someone know you appreciate what they are saying. My motive was simple. Didn't mean to rub anyone the wrong way.

As for facebook, it has been a useful tool for me in converting new DBT fans, truthfully...