DBT on Conan 3/8

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

TheGhostToMost

Re: DBT on Conan 3/8

Post by TheGhostToMost »

It was a great performance and while I was pulling for the song to be Pulaski, I have to say ENL does showcase the entire band.While they were performing Marie asked me "What if that was your introduction to DBT ? What would you think ?" and I said "I would say that's great and go buy the album.".... I gave a copy of ENLto a dj at a club that my band plays at and when it plays the crowd dances and sings along and half of them don't even know who it is.. I think it is a song that has mass appeal and tonight it fit perfectly and they did great.. I think it's awesome that they are getting this exposure. As long as they don't do a Diet Coke commercial, I will be fine.. lol
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

TheGhostToMost wrote:It was a great performance and while I was pulling for the song to be Pulaski, I have to say ENL does showcase the entire band.While they were performing Marie asked me "What if that was your introduction to DBT ? What would you think ?" and I said "I would say that's great and go buy the album.".... I gave a copy of ENLto a dj at a club that my band plays at and when it plays the crowd dances and sings along and half of them don't even know who it is.. I think it is a song that has mass appeal and tonight it fit perfectly and they did great.. I think it's awesome that they are getting this exposure. As long as they don't do a Diet Coke commercial, I will be fine.. lol

You read that last Patterson interview? I wouldn't say a thing if they did any kinda commercial!

Everybody needs coke, coke coke

Gives the song a whole new meaning :lol:
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

TheGhostToMost

Post by TheGhostToMost »

Smitty wrote:
TheGhostToMost wrote:It was a great performance and while I was pulling for the song to be Pulaski, I have to say ENL does showcase the entire band.While they were performing Marie asked me "What if that was your introduction to DBT ? What would you think ?" and I said "I would say that's great and go buy the album.".... I gave a copy of ENLto a dj at a club that my band plays at and when it plays the crowd dances and sings along and half of them don't even know who it is.. I think it is a song that has mass appeal and tonight it fit perfectly and they did great.. I think it's awesome that they are getting this exposure. As long as they don't do a Diet Coke commercial, I will be fine.. lol

You read that last Patterson interview? I wouldn't say a thing if they did any kinda commercial!

Everybody needs coke, coke coke

Gives the song a whole new meaning :lol:

I saw where someone posted that interview on Facebook and I meant to read it, but now I can't find it back..

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

here ya go bro
http://www.jambase.com/Articles/26319/D ... cy-Buckets
Jambase: One of the things that’s continued to make me such a big fan of your music is for all the wide-ranging subject matter the Truckers get to you always have this ability to tap into the frustrations and aspirations of those of us living on the ground, making the sandwiches and scraping by paycheck to paycheck.

Patterson: We still live that life. We get to do a job we love but we’re still VERY much paycheck to paycheck. If I was to get really sick and had to cancel the next two months of touring, my house might be up for sale. Like I said, there’s no mailbox money, and God forbid, nothing like that happens, but it’s a constant pressure particularly since almost all of us have kids now. There’s actually more Trucker kids than Truckers now! There’s a pretty huge responsibility to keep this thing afloat and moving forward. I don’t really honestly know what else I would do. I’m not really qualified for anything else. I always thought I could make a movie someday, be a film director, but that’s a harder job than the one I’ve got! I’m a terrible line cook and too slow moving to be a waiter – not to mention dudes don’t get good tips – and I’m not a very good bartender, and those are the only things I can think of (laughs).
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

TheGhostToMost

Post by TheGhostToMost »

Smitty wrote:here ya go bro
http://www.jambase.com/Articles/26319/D ... cy-Buckets
Jambase: One of the things that’s continued to make me such a big fan of your music is for all the wide-ranging subject matter the Truckers get to you always have this ability to tap into the frustrations and aspirations of those of us living on the ground, making the sandwiches and scraping by paycheck to paycheck.

Patterson: We still live that life. We get to do a job we love but we’re still VERY much paycheck to paycheck. If I was to get really sick and had to cancel the next two months of touring, my house might be up for sale. Like I said, there’s no mailbox money, and God forbid, nothing like that happens, but it’s a constant pressure particularly since almost all of us have kids now. There’s actually more Trucker kids than Truckers now! There’s a pretty huge responsibility to keep this thing afloat and moving forward. I don’t really honestly know what else I would do. I’m not really qualified for anything else. I always thought I could make a movie someday, be a film director, but that’s a harder job than the one I’ve got! I’m a terrible line cook and too slow moving to be a waiter – not to mention dudes don’t get good tips – and I’m not a very good bartender, and those are the only things I can think of (laughs).

Thanks for the link !

shuffle

Post by shuffle »

check out the performance here: http://birdsneedfeet.blogspot.com/2011/03/video-drive-by-truckers-perform.html

it's a good one, but at the same time it's boring whenever band's keep playing the same songs on all these late night shows...
http://twitter.com/birdsneedfeet
http://www.birdsneedfeet.com/

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

beantownbubba wrote: Funniest thing was the segue right into a commercial featuring Kings of Leon. :lol:

Laughed out loud when I saw that. Wondered if I was the only one. :)
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

shuffle wrote:check out the performance here: http://birdsneedfeet.blogspot.com/2011/03/video-drive-by-truckers-perform.html

it's a good one, but at the same time it's boring whenever band's keep playing the same songs on all these late night shows...

I'm still in the "I'm so glad they're getting on TV" stage, a long way from the "keep playing on all these [all of TWO, actually] shows" stage :lol: Except for us diehards i imagine there's very little overlap in the audiences for those shows.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

shuffle wrote:check out the performance here: http://birdsneedfeet.blogspot.com/2011/03/video-drive-by-truckers-perform.html

They're playing to pick up a new audience, not appease the people that already buy all their albums and spend tons of money going to see them play.

Clams

Post by Clams »

GW in IA wrote:
beantownbubba wrote: Funniest thing was the segue right into a commercial featuring Kings of Leon. :lol:

Laughed out loud when I saw that. Wondered if I was the only one. :)

noticed that too

what strikes me is how good the sets, lighting and camera angles are on all these late night shows
If you don't run you rust

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Solid performance, but not as good as the Fallon appearance

/2 cents
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

mwh

Post by mwh »

When you guys say Kimmel do you mean Fallon or did I miss a Kimmel performance?

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Clams wrote:what strikes me is how good the sets, lighting and camera angles are on all these late night shows

Yeah--Conan's got some very cool gliding cams
Always go to the show

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

mwh wrote:When you guys say Kimmel do you mean Fallon or did I miss a Kimmel performance?

I'm pretty sure they meant Fallon instead of Kimmel, I caught that too.

shizzer

Post by shizzer »

was disappointed to see ENL again. its not typical of their catalog and doesn't showcase who the band is. And quite honestly its pretty boring unless you are seeing it live as a show. Always loved it towards the end of the set, not stoked to see in on the new record and definitely perplexed as to why they keep playing a cover during these nation wide TV performances. My guess is half the band isnt thrilled with it either.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Hey Shuffle thanks for posting the link. My work computer doesn't like things with the word blog in it so if anyone else needs it here's another link.

http://video.teamcoco.com/video/conan.jsp?cid=233111
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Crustyharp

Post by Crustyharp »

Or maybe we all need to just take Patterson's word on how he - and the band - feel about Eddie Hinton and his music:

Eddie’s always been like a distant part of the family and such an influence on our band that it just felt right to record that song and have it be part of the album.

It would make me about as happy to have a hit single or a song on the radio with “Everybody Needs Love” as if Cooley or me had written it ourselves. It’s the same soul – it feels right.

If we know the back story and new ears are inspired to dig further into both Eddie's and the Truckers' music by "ENL", then what's the downside? Spread the word/spread the tunes/spread the love.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Crustyharp wrote:Or maybe we all need to just take Patterson's word on how he - and the band - feel about Eddie Hinton and his music:

Eddie’s always been like a distant part of the family and such an influence on our band that it just felt right to record that song and have it be part of the album.

It would make me about as happy to have a hit single or a song on the radio with “Everybody Needs Love” as if Cooley or me had written it ourselves. It’s the same soul – it feels right.

If we know the back story and new ears are inspired to dig further into both Eddie's and the Truckers' music by "ENL", then what's the downside? Spread the word/spread the tunes/spread the love.

That's pretty much my take. I also don't expect them to play anything other than the single on these talk show appearances, much less something from an older album.

shizzer

Post by shizzer »

the "single" is UTBAC. the most ever played on radio apparently. I love Eddie Hinton, have always loved the Truckers version, especially live. Just a bit disappointed to have covers on an album. Its really not a big deal anyway.

Kudzu Guillotine

Maybe I misunderstood but when I recently asked what the single for Go-Go Boots was I was told it was "Everybody Needs Love". In this day and age, it hard to even say what a single is or even means anymore.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Yeah, I'm not sure what a "single" is these days and i've heard both ENL and UTBAC referred to that way, so who knows?

I don't understand the concern w/ DBT playing a cover on TV. Not sure what difference it makes, especially when it's a song that most of the audience will be unfamiliar with. The idea is to make the audience sit up, take notice and get curious enough to check out the band. It's my guess that anybody who is motivated to check out the band on the basis of hearing ENL is unlikely to be disappointed w/ GGB, tho it's probably a 50/50 proposition as to whether they'd go for the rest of the catalog so I don't think it's "misleading". Since there's no single song that represents all the facets of the band, immediate catchiness and potential broad mainstream appeal seems like the best criteria in choosing what to play on TV. Sounds like ENL to me.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure what a "single" is these days and i've heard both ENL and UTBAC referred to that way, so who knows?

I don't understand the concern w/ DBT playing a cover on TV. Not sure what difference it makes, especially when it's a song that most of the audience will be unfamiliar with. The idea is to make the audience sit up, take notice and get curious enough to check out the band. It's my guess that anybody who is motivated to check out the band on the basis of hearing ENL is unlikely to be disappointed w/ GGB, tho it's probably a 50/50 proposition as to whether they'd go for the rest of the catalog so I don't think it's "misleading". Since there's no single song that represents all the facets of the band, immediate catchiness and potential broad mainstream appeal seems like the best criteria in choosing what to play on TV. Sounds like ENL to me.

Well, I think you hit the nail on the head Beantown. The question is does the song put butts in the venues and/or get someone to check out the record. I think ENL might do both. It's catchy, the band has nailed it on both TV performances and it's not a "scary" selection (ie. too regional, to country, too whatever the fuck might bother folks). Plus I have no problem with them having performed it on two different late night talk shows, particularly since they're in different time slots and doubtless carry different audiences. Lets face it folks, no matter how you slice this they didn't hurt themselves at all with these performance and, IMHO of course, I think they kicked ass and most likely gained some new fans. That was, after all, the point of the exercise.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Kudzu Guillotine

I haven't lived with Go-Go Boots long enough to pick up on a "centerpiece" of the album yet but I do feel that "Everybody Needs Love" is largely representative of the record as a whole. As much as they have championed that "Muscle Shoals Sound" over the years, never before has it been as predominant until this album. Not to mention (as others have) that it could also lead to new (and even old) fans discovering Eddie Hinton.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Everybody Needs Love was the correct choice; most people are not out there obsessively monitoring every move DBT makes and Conan is a whole new audience - as BTB pointed out. ENL is definitely one of the most accessible songs they have ever recorded and is the best choice to expand the fanbase. Case in point: despite her being bombarded with DBT excessively for the last 7 years :lol: my wife has somehow remained lukewarm to them but she loves ENL.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Finally got around to watching this. Man, do I love that fucking song. I thought the performance seemed a little flat compared to Fallon, but it was still great. I dig the blazers, too. Classy. 8-)
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Duke Silver wrote:Finally got around to watching this. Man, do I love that fucking song. I thought the performance seemed a little flat compared to Fallon, but it was still great. I dig the blazers, too. Classy. 8-)
You're the first one to mention that. Got to class it up for national TV ya know. :mrgreen:
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote: I couldn't get over the sport jacket look tho (all the guys except PH for those who haven't seen it yet; "very clean cut" in my wife's words) :shock:

Smitty wrote:Great, solid performance - the band was perfect musically - lookin pretty spiffy, too - Shonna lookin good like always ;)

Just sayin' :)

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Duke Silver wrote:Finally got around to watching this. Man, do I love that fucking song. I thought the performance seemed a little flat compared to Fallon, but it was still great. I dig the blazers, too. Classy. 8-)

Watched this again and I think "flat" was the wrong word. Reserved, maybe. Not less energy than the Fallon performance, just a different energy. I like how Cooley's solo had a different feel than the last one, too.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

Pretty sure I saw a Tweet go by on that day from Billy Reid saying he was dressing them for Conan. They looked fantastic. Cooley in a double-breasted blazer... ;)
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

shizzer

Post by shizzer »

maybe some did, but I dont recall many -if any- people wanting to hear ENL again. but i digress........great to see them on Conan anyway.