dbt track # 40-GOODBYE

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

dbt track # 40-GOODBYE

Post by Clams »

Enough talk about crowds and dickheads. Let's get this board back on track.
For me, Goodbye is in ABAAC's top tier (right up there with Gravity's Gone, Space City and World of Hurt). Growing apart from a close friend is something we can all relate to, and the song smolders and builds to one of those great three-guitar crescendos. Goodbye is possibly the most criminally unplayed DBT song at rock shows.

These cities blur before me, a swirl of colors leaned against the sky
Gone so far away and I never really told you good bye
I know it's kind of lame but sometimes things just turn out that way
We were the best of friends and I'll always remember you that way

We started out with nothing, but wild plans and big ideas and dreams
You were quick to swing the hammer and always fast with some ingenious scheme
Sometimes we argued violently but forged it out of bedrock into steel
Our foundations were so solid and our instincts based on something very real
I feel so damned nostalgic every time I think about those times
I forget how it became that I wouldn't recognize you on the line
I start to feel so guilty but goddamn it I swear to you I tried
To bridge between the distances before I left without saying good-bye

I have friends I met last weekend and friends I've had since I was eight
Friends I've said goodbye to and friends who unexpectedly passed away
And nothing is disposable; at least it's never been that way for me
Its not like you were an acquaintance that I could say never really meant anything to me
No we were really great friends and I always thought that it would be that way
Yet I wonder if I'd know you if the guy that I saw last walked in here today
And I swear until I die, I never would have expected you and I
To grow so far apart and leave without ever saying good bye
If you don't run you rust

Iowan

Re: dbt track # 40-GOODBYE

Post by Iowan »

I've always loved this song, and can relate to it on an extremely personal level.

It really seems a product of a tension in the band at the time. As if Patterson knew that one way or another Jason's exit was coming and that it wouldn't be an easy thing. Also, he's been pretty open that he and Cooley had a post AHC falling out, so it's a subject he's lived and and that experience, emotion, and passion is evident in this song.

Undoubtedly it's criminally underplayed (like everything he and Cooley contributed to that album outside of GG and WOH), but perhaps it's a difficult song to play. I've always suspected this about some of the other songs on ABAAC (like Little Bonnie).

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Speaking of "Little Bonnie", a great but painful song. I'll skip over it if I'm not in the mood. Does anyone know the background of Little Bonnie or if its based on a true story?

mwh

Post by mwh »

A little off topic maybe, but I'm always surprised that Daylight isn't generally considered to be one of the better songs off of this album.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Pretty sure it was written about someone in particular - remember reading him explaining it, maybe it was an old drummer/roommate who he lost touch with?
Last edited by Smitty on Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Gang Green wrote:Speaking of "Little Bonnie", a great but painful song. I'll skip over it if I'm not in the mood. Does anyone know the background of Little Bonnie or if its based on a true story?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1715

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

mwh wrote:A little off topic maybe, but I'm always surprised that Daylight isn't generally considered to be one of the better songs off of this album.

Love the chord changes and Jason's vocals on this are some of his best IMO
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Smitty wrote:
mwh wrote:A little off topic maybe, but I'm always surprised that Daylight isn't generally considered to be one of the better songs off of this album.

I couldn't disagree more, but let's not stray from this week's song

I love this tune. It may be Shonna's best bass line
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

gerg

Post by gerg »

Hate Goodbyes. Love the song.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:
Smitty wrote:

I couldn't disagree more, but let's not stray from this week's song

I love this tune. It may be Shonna's best bass line

I'm with Zip on both points.

acoxofrd

Post by acoxofrd »

Thanks for posting this one up. It is one of the best songs of ABAAC in my opinion and one of PH's better songs too. I can definitely relate to this song and I guess that is why I never skip it when it comes across my ipod, although it can bring up memories that tend to be maybe a little depressing.

ariedl

Post by ariedl »

When ABAAC first came out, I was convinced that "Goodbye" was about Patterson's relationship with Earl Hicks. So many of the lyrics seemed to make sense for that interpretation that I wrote an email to "someone who would know" and asked about it. They called bullshit on it, but stopped just short of guaranteeing that it was NOT about Earl.

Oh well...

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

ariedl wrote:When ABAAC first came out, I was convinced that "Goodbye" was about Patterson's relationship with Earl Hicks. So many of the lyrics seemed to make sense for that interpretation that I wrote an email to "someone who would know" and asked about it. They called bullshit on it, but stopped just short of guaranteeing that it was NOT about Earl.

Oh well...

That's an interesting interpretation. I kind of assumed that Earl's leaving the fold was voluntary and completely amicable, and kind of a "I literally can't afford to be in a band anymore" type thing.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

This song has really grown on me over the years. When ABAAC came out I was really luke warm about that album and other than Gravity's Gone, Feb 14th, Space City and World of Hurt I couldn't really have much interest in this song. I realize now that I really didn't give this song a chance enough to breathe.

Recently I've been listening to some of the later Isbell era Truckers shows and this song is pretty powerful and really is worthy of being incorporated back into the live shows if they feel like playing it. It really is painful to listen to though, which I think is a sign of a good songwriter/performer.

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

A classic Patterson lyric that hits me close to home. I know we all have that friend that for some reason is out of your life. I love the way it starts. Like after Aftermath they just kept going. You can hear some talking and random studio noise. Then Paterson counts one and Jason finishes the count. Not sure if its him on 2 but whatever. A great song I wouldn't mind seeing.

BTW, the first time I heard Daylight I almost fell out of my chair when the chorus hit. Just don't like it at all.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

The first time I heard "Daylight", I really liked it. ABAAC was the first I heard of the Truckers, period, and was blown away by everything but the title track.

When compared to the rest of the DBT catalog, it's obviously not quite up to par, but it's still a good song. I really like the first verse.

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

Friends I've said goodbye to and friends who unexpectedly passed away
And nothing is disposable; at least it's never been that way for me...
This song really touches me ...
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Just read an interview with Patterson Hood. He said the title track to BAAC along with Demonic Possession were his least favorite songs. I've listened to "Little Bonnie" along with "Goodbye" several times since my post yesterday and after reading all of your comments, thanks everyone.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

The mother of all bumped threads!

I just heard this song in the car and having lost a close friend that I’m obviously not completely over yet this hit me like an anvil.

My best guess is it’s about Earl Hicks but who the original inspiration was isn’t really important because the song is for all of us now.

I agree with earlier posters that this song is one of the most criminally underrated songs in the DBT canon.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Is “hauntingly beautiful” too much of a cliche?

I’m sorry for your loss, Rocky!

I immediately thought of “Brokedown Palace” which a friend has requested for his service.

I’m listening to “Goodbye” now, and the guitar work is awesome, but hey, it is a DBT song! I too am listening to the song for the first time in a while but am going to repeat!