Thoughts and Reviews on "Secret to a Happy Ending"

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Smitty

Re: Thoughts and Reviews on "Secret to a Happy Ending"

Post by Smitty »

I really loved this quote from Wes too

All the frat boys latch onto the "road goes on forever and the party never ends" but don't see the inherent sadness of that that's really behind it all, because it's like the the road goes on FOREVER and the party NEVER ENDS. Do ya get it? I'm in HELL
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

roland

Post by roland »

Wow.

I teared up at the end. "A World of Hurt" gets me, and I have Cooley's words as a memorial to my Mom tattooed on my back from "A Ghost To Most". I'm just a 285 pound pussy, I guess. Can't wait to watch it again.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Smitty wrote:Fuckin loved it. Ain't really the right person/fan to look at it too critically; it nailed exactly why I love this band so much. Everybody came off great, especially Shonna & Jason - which was different to see in a documentary (or any movie, for that matter). DBT's history is filled with so many great characters (Gregory Dean Smalley, all the Shoals guys, the Freeds, David Barbe, Chris Quillen - not even going into the ones not featured in the film, like Scott Baxendale, Ray McKinnon, etc) it's hard to look at it all as being coincidence. I don't know what else it would be, but... it's something. Magic.
I can't say anything about the couple seconds after Space City that hasn't already been said - but damn.

I'm a guy who watches COPS for the scenery - they'll be an arrest and I'll be looking at the old buildings and the weeds growing up thru the sidewalk instead of the action (weird, I know). I love seeing parts of the country that you can't see on main street,a postcard or from the interstate, ya know? This film is chocked full of great shots like that. Beautiful.
Alabama.

I've heard people say "it should've been longer" or that they should've went deeper into detail on certain things - but I don't think that's what this movie was about. I hit all the right buttons, and will be a great tool in explaining the appeal of the band and the reason I (and I'm sure most of ya'll) feel so strongly about this band.

Wes Freed:
Thirty years from now, Cooley & Hood should be the next Jagger & Richards
but what's right and what happens ain't always how it works out

I'm hoping he's wrong.

My favorite Smitty post of all time.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

I watched it last night. Then I had dreams about it. Now, after waking, I can't stop thinking about two things. How badly I wish I could be at a show just to be near the band and the fans. And how much better my world is with the Truckers in it I feel lucky for the the fact that there's one band out there that plays music and stands for things which I feel such a deep connection to.

One fan interviewed in the film said it best...

"I've been a Truckers fan for three years but I feel like I've known them my whole life."
Not forever, just for now.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Just watched my copy. I fuckin love it. they are just truely the greatest band ever they make my life complete. without their music i wud be one pissed off guy

cre618

Post by cre618 »

Just watched my copy. A perfect Saturday night. Wow. Loved the film, loved the discussion here. Thank the lord I have three shows coming up.

mike28212

Post by mike28212 »

I just finished watching my copy for the first time. It was a great reminder to me about how much I love this band. I can totally identify with Patterson about how rock and roll saved my life, more specifically the Truckers but that's a story for another day. I smiled, laughed, and cried while watching. I don't really have the words to express how much this bands means to me. The film had so many highlights. While I hate that I missed the DC shows (even with 'the bad shit that went down' Friday) I can't wait to experience my next rock show.
"I'm zipping through the days at lightning speed."

TheGhostToMost

Post by TheGhostToMost »

Well, I'm kinda old school so I don't pre order anything. I get a kick out of the excitement of going to the record store and buying straight out. I loved the documentary. Got to see it in Athens the first time and it was incredible. I first got into the Truckers right around the time "Blessing and A Curse" came out. So to me, Jason was sort of, now you see him, now you don't. It was really cool to see how everything unfolded. Getting to see the old pics and the bad hair dos was great. I loved the part with Patterson's Uncle George and the stuff about Gregory Dean Smalley choked me up. That has always been a favorite of mine. That song kinda woke me up because I had lived a little too dangerously for a long time. All the Trucker songs I relate to on some level and this documentary was great because I knew what the songs meant to me and then I got a peak at where they came from. I give it 5 stars. I will watch it til I can quote it front to back.
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...

rh blues

Post by rh blues »

A++I'm so glad they were able to release this.It's a beautiful snapshot of a great band though it made me miss Jason and what he brought to the Show.It was cool seeing Patterson pay tribute to his friends/heroes because sometimes documentaries can be these big ego trips.And why I really respect & love this band is their fortitude & desire to do what they do.I'll never forget the gig they did at the 9:30 Club in '06 & I'm sure the fans who were there too won't forget it either.I mean who knew at that time there was so much shit going on with the band.It was in the midst of that Black Crowes tour along with the divorce & whatever all else that was happening so for them to put a show on like that in the face of adversity is a testament to what kind of band they are.And as far as the ABAAC record I really dig that record yeah there maybe some duds on there but so what.These guys are awfully prolific.After all the shows I've seen I'm still hoping for Little Bonnie or Goodbye to be played.So with that,good for them & I hope they're still around to film a follow up documentary.Think maybe this will get a TV/cable showing?That would be neat.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Loved "Secret to a Happy Ending", but as I was watching with my 17 year old son, he said he recognized people from the crowd shots in the movie from the shows we have been to. Is it possible that any of you in 3DD land out there were at any of the shows from the movie who were also at the shows in Charlston, WV in Nov 2009, Charlottesville, VA, Philly (Electric Factory) and New York NYE show in 2010. Just curious.

rockreid

Post by rockreid »

Gang Green wrote:Loved "Secret to a Happy Ending", but as I was watching with my 17 year old son, he said he recognized people from the crowd shots in the movie from the shows we have been to. Is it possible that any of you in 3DD land out there were at any of the shows from the movie who were also at the shows in Charlston, WV in Nov 2009, Charlottesville, VA, Philly (Electric Factory) and New York NYE show in 2010. Just curious.

My wife and I were at both Charlottesville shows last year.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Gang Green wrote:Loved "Secret to a Happy Ending", but as I was watching with my 17 year old son, he said he recognized people from the crowd shots in the movie from the shows we have been to. Is it possible that any of you in 3DD land out there were at any of the shows from the movie who were also at the shows in Charlston, WV in Nov 2009, Charlottesville, VA, Philly (Electric Factory) and New York NYE show in 2010. Just curious.

I was in Charlottesville, Philly, and New York NYE. You can see me in a crowd shot on the DVD extras from the Baltimore 2005 show. I'm the guy in the yellow cap with my head bobbing up & down to "Ronnie and Neil." Appropriately enough, it's a Neil Young & Crazy Horse cap.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Stellar film, Barr obviously 'GETS' what the DBT is all about.
Incredible Storytelling, gut wrenching emotion and Rawk!
George A, the Schoals, SRO, Space City, World of Hurt, the ABAAC sessions...
Jason's quote, about, "play the song about the depression, how i ruined my life, ended up on medication".
helps to explain/understand why i LOVE this band so much and why their music grabs at my heart...
Insightful and inspiring to the DBT brand and legacy.

These are the 'Good old days' and i've feel lucky to have found them when i did back in '05...
Long Live the DBT!
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

I went out and bought Keef's book, "Life", after reading Cooley's interview with the Washington City Paper late last week. I went through the index and read the parts on "Sticky Fingers", but Keef doesn't seem to mention Muscle Shoals. I was a little disappointed, particularly after seeing "Secret to a Happy Ending" (about four times) and the extra on "Why Muscle Shoals". Yes, I'm a little disappointed with Keef, but I do love his book, Cooley was right.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Gang Green wrote:I went out and bought Keef's book, "Life", after reading Cooley's interview with the Washington City Paper late last week. I went through the index and read the parts on "Sticky Fingers", but Keef doesn't seem to mention Muscle Shoals. I was a little disappointed, particularly after seeing "Secret to a Happy Ending" (about four times) and the extra on "Why Muscle Shoals". Yes, I'm a little disappointed with Keef, but I do love his book, Cooley was right.

He mentions Muscle Shoals and it even has a piece written by Jim Dickinson about the sessions there.

mwh

Post by mwh »

Anybody else notice the tickle me Elmo in the background while Cooley sang Space City? That killed me for some reason.

sg207

Post by sg207 »

I watched this last night, and thought it was great. Everybody else has pretty much hit on my thoughts.

I did crack up early at Brad's "drum solo." Especially since right before he said it, I thought to myself, "That's about as much of a drum solo as you'll ever see from him."
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

RMD

Post by RMD »

mwh wrote:Anybody else notice the tickle me Elmo in the background while Cooley sang Space City? That killed me for some reason.

I did notice also, and also cracked up. Great, great film. I look forward to letting people watch it who have no experience with DBT, I'm certain it will spark intrest in the band to the uniniated, it's that good of a film. Too many parts to mention, but I loved how Jason stated how the biggest thing for him was that he will miss playing the songs, Zip City, etc. As for missing the people, he could just call them, you can't call the songs as he said. Just fantastic.

RMD

Post by RMD »

Also, not sure if it was mentioned, but thought it was great when the professor from Temple stated how he had a student who took two years to write a thesis on the whole TVA deal but Cooley did a better job in 3 minutes. (Uncle Frank). :lol:

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

He mentions Muscle Shoals and it even has a piece written by Jim Dickinson about the sessions there.[/quote]

Thanks, oversight on my part,

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Man what a great fuckin' movie. Perhaps the best rock n roll film since Stop Making Sense. I just loved every minute of it.
Keep calm and have a cigar

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

there's a great shot of me rocking out front row during the zip city from boulder in the extras :D

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Gang Green wrote:I went out and bought Keef's book, "Life", after reading Cooley's interview with the Washington City Paper late last week.
I didn't know this existed until I read your post so Thank You. It's a great interview.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blog ... ke-cooley/

A Ghost To Most is about Halloween and Hurrican Kkatrina. I thought we thought it was about the war in Iraq? That Mike Cooley is one crafty fucker.

And I had completely forgot about or never knew that a guy from the audience sang a Patterson song at the last 9:30 shows.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Barr and DBT need to release the Boulder NYE 2005 show as a concert DVD. Great footage.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Rocky wrote:
Gang Green wrote:I went out and bought Keef's book, "Life", after reading Cooley's interview with the Washington City Paper late last week.
I didn't know this existed until I read your post so Thank You. It's a great interview.

A Ghost To Most is about Halloween and Hurrican Kkatrina. I thought we thought it was about the war in Iraq? That Mike Cooley is one crafty fucker.

And I had completely forgot about or never knew that a guy from the audience sang a Patterson song at the last 9:30 shows.

great interview
thanks for posting it
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Clams wrote:
Rocky wrote:

great interview
thanks for posting it

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1836

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Mike Cooley and Smitty are both crafty fuckers. :mrgreen:
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Rocky wrote:Mike Cooley and Smitty are both crafty fuckers. :mrgreen:

Hmmmmm...there's a rumor that they've been seen in the same club at the same time, but i personally have never seen it...
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

pyth
Location: Texas when I can be, Mississippi when I have to be.

Post by pyth »

I'm a little new to the DBT scene. I started listening to them about six months ago and was lucky enough to go to a show of theirs with a bunch of my friends who are rabid DBT fans in Oxford, MS this year. I was ecstatic when they played Nine Bullets because at the time, that was my favorite song. In the wake of the concert, I listened to nothing but DBT for a good month or so, and I've pretty much kept up that pace up until even now.

But coming around to the documentary, I got to see it in theaters at around 11:00 at night at the Oxford Film Fest with the same group of DBT fans with whom I went to the concert. It was incredible. Everyone agreed that it was possibly the most inspirational, depressing and unique thing they've ever seen, all at the same time. I remember walking outside to smoke right after that I wanted to get drunk, achieve something great and kill myself all at once.

I've seen a lot on here about people being really inspired and awestruck, but did anyone else have a reaction similar to mine?

Also, I must agree with the commenter that said that it was interesting to see the Wilson Dam and all of the bits about the TVA. It helps put a bit of context to the songs, I think.
You wonder why I drink and curse the holidays
Blessed be my family three hundred miles away

Clams

Post by Clams »

pyth wrote:I'm a little new to the DBT scene. I started listening to them about six months ago and was lucky enough to go to a show of theirs with a bunch of my friends who are rabid DBT fans in Oxford, MS this year. I was ecstatic when they played Nine Bullets because at the time, that was my favorite song. In the wake of the concert, I listened to nothing but DBT for a good month or so, and I've pretty much kept up that pace up until even now.

But coming around to the documentary, I got to see it in theaters at around 11:00 at night at the Oxford Film Fest with the same group of DBT fans with whom I went to the concert. It was incredible. Everyone agreed that it was possibly the most inspirational, depressing and unique thing they've ever seen, all at the same time. I remember walking outside to smoke right after that I wanted to get drunk, achieve something great and kill myself all at once.

I've seen a lot on here about people being really inspired and awestruck, but did anyone else have a reaction similar to mine?

Also, I must agree with the commenter that said that it was interesting to see the Wilson Dam and all of the bits about the TVA. It helps put a bit of context to the songs, I think.

Welcome to 3dd Pyth. I found some parts of the movie to be frustrating (as in, it's frustrating that the band has had such to work so hard to achieve a level of success that a lot of crappy bands seem to have achieved in a much easier fashion), but no, I didn't walk away feeling depressed at all. The movie actually made me feel really good, almost joyous (or, to use your word, inspired), about the people, places and songs connected to the band.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck