Thoughts and Reviews on "Secret to a Happy Ending"

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

cortez the killer

Re: Thoughts on "Secret to a Happy Ending"

Post by cortez the killer »

RevMatt wrote:4) Glad to have Wes and Jyl Freed featured. One of the ironies of the film was the part where Jason said he had no one to go to for advice because who spends all of their working time together with their wife. The Freeds have managed to stay together and they pretty much work together. Wes does his artwork and Jyl manages things.

A couple of thoughts....

I'm sure it will place me in the minority, but I've never been a big fan of Wes' artwork. Sometimes it works (I think the album covers of SRO & DD are fantastic) but more often than not I'm not crazy about it. He obviously is an incredibly talented artist, but I've never truly connected with his work. I will say the film gave me a far greater appreciation of both Wes & Jyl. I was aware of how Wes worked with the band via articles and stuff posted on 9B, but something about the film really hammered that point home. He seems like a truly original and passionate person and I will approach his work differently moving forward. I suppose I'm a sucker when it comes to context. ;)

Rev, you reference the Freeds as a counterpoint to Jason's claim about always being around your wife. When I saw that part of the movie I immediately thought of all those small family businesses (pizza parlors, Greek restaurants, flower boutiques, dry cleaners) where, quite often, a married couple (and in many cases many of their immediate family) spend all day working together (typically in a far more stressful atmosphere) before retiring home to spend even more time together. I'm not discounting the difficulty of the Jason/Shonna situation. However, it seems like Jason's perspective on this is a bit short-sighted. Then again, he's really just a kid in that film.

Anyhow, those are couple of things that jumped out at me as I sat down and finally watched The Secret to a Happy Ending last night. It is an excellent documentary and it really crystallized my love for the band. Great stuff.
Last edited by cortez the killer on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

Beebs wrote:
09Gamecock wrote:The best place to get this DVD is at the DBT merch table.

fixed

fixed
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

09Gamecock wrote:Are independent record stores carrying the DVD?

As I mentioned in another thread, when I asked about it at my local independent record store I was told they hadn't received it yet due to a "manufacturing defect" with the DVD. Considering no one else has reported any instances of this "defect" and that outlets like Best Buy had it, I'd say the clerk was full of shit. If they didn't get it in, I'd rather hear the truth than be given a line of shit. I bought it at Best Buy and don't have any problem saying so. I tried to buy it at an indie store but they didn't have it. I could also purchase it from the merch booth but since they don't have any dates lined up in NC at present I'd be waiting a while. I'm all for supporting your local indie store (and I do so on a regular basis) but it's not as though I've committed some sort of heinous crime by buying it at Best Buy. If the DBTs were so against us buying it there they could have gone the same route as Pearl Jam did with their most recent release and make it available for sale only via their website and indie stores.

Iowan wrote:Observations:
-Feb 14th. I've always wondered what the impetus for that song was. Didn't seem autobiographical. Wondered if Patterson was putting himself in a fictitious place. It's his response to what he observed going on between bandmates.

This is from an interview with Patterson that was conducted with the Homegrown Music Network just prior to the release of A Blessing and a Curse:

The first single from the album, "Feb. 14" dates back to pre-DBTs days. How did it come to be included on A Blessing and A Curse?

I rewrote "Feb. 14" based on a song that was from the Horsepussy days.
The song never quite worked. (I had actually forgotten that Horsepussy ever did it, although I just found a practice tape that has it on it. Not very good.) The version that I cannibalized for this current version came from a year later, from the band Prom Needles, my duo with Chris Quillen. I found the song when I was looking for material for my solo album (Murdering Oscar) and rewrote it (I chopped out another verse and a different bridge) with the intention of putting it on the solo album. (Several of the songs on that album date from my Prom Needles period with Quillen). Chris Quillen died 10 years ago next month. Part of the reason for me doing that album was to pay tribute to some of the songs we used to do, then write some new ones that counter-point their issues. How it then became a DBT song? Not sure, think it just worked out that way.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

As I mentioned in another thread, when I asked about it at my local independent record store I was told they hadn't received it yet due to a "manufacturing defect" with the DVD. Considering no one else has reported any instances of this "defect" and that outlets like Best Buy had it, I'd say the clerk was full of shit. If they didn't get it in, I'd rather hear the truth than be given a line of shit. I bought it at Best Buy and don't have any problem saying so. I tried to buy it at an indie store but they didn't have it. I could also purchase it from the merch booth but since they don't have any dates lined up in NC at present I'd be waiting a while. I'm all for supporting your local indie store (and I do so on a regular basis) but it's not as though I've committed some sort of heinous crime by buying it at Best Buy. If the DBTs were so against us buying it there they could have gone the same route as Pearl Jam did with their most recent release and make it available for sale only via their website and indie stores.

-Feb 14th. I've always wondered what the impetus for that song was. Didn't seem autobiographical. Wondered if Patterson was putting himself in a fictitious place. It's his response to what he observed going on between bandmates.

This is from an interview with Patterson that was conducted with the Homegrown Music Network just prior to the release of A Blessing and a Curse:

The first single from the album, "Feb. 14" dates back to pre-DBTs days. How did it come to be included on A Blessing and A Curse?

The song never quite worked. (I had actually forgotten that Horsepussy ever did it, although I just found a practice tape that has it on it. Not very good.) The version that I cannibalized for this current version came from a year later, from the band Prom Needles, my duo with Chris Quillen. I found the song when I was looking for material for my solo album (Murdering Oscar) and rewrote it (I chopped out another verse and a different bridge) with the intention of putting it on the solo album. (Several of the songs on that album date from my Prom Needles period with Quillen). Chris Quillen died 10 years ago next month. Part of the reason for me doing that album was to pay tribute to some of the songs we used to do, then write some new ones that counter-point their issues. How it then became a DBT song? Not sure, think it just worked out that way.

That's pretty cool. I've read Patterson say that on ABAAC they were trying to write songs that could have been on an AHC record. I think he pointed specifically to "Wednesday".

Still, it's hard for me to shake the mental image I got from the film. The line "you're blossoming all over while I whither on the vine" seems like it really fit into that time and place.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

cortez the killer wrote:
RevMatt wrote:4) Glad to have Wes and Jyl Freed featured. One of the ironies of the film was the part where Jason said he had no one to go to for advice because who spends all of their working time together with their wife. The Freeds have managed to stay together and they pretty much work together. Wes does his artwork and Jyl manages things.

A couple of thoughts....

Rev, you reference the Freeds as a counterpoint to Jason's claim about always being around your wife. When I saw that part of the movie I immediately thought of all those small family businesses (pizza parlors, Greek restaurants, flower boutiques, dry cleaners) where, quite often, a married couple (and in many cases many of their immediate family) spend all day working together (typically in a far more stressful atmosphere) before retiring home to spend even more time together. I'm not discounting the difficulty of the Jason/Shonna situation. However, it seems like Jason's perspective on this is a bit short-sighted. Then again, he's really just a kid in that film.

Anyhow, those are couple of things that jumped out at me as I sat down and finally watched The Secret to a Happy Ending last night. It is an excellent documentary and it really crystallized my love for the band. Great stuff.

At the risk of this thread descending into creepiness, I will say this. Jason and Shonna were young when they married. Combine their youth with the fact that they were thrust into the life of a touring rock band, you have the makings for marital tensions.

I also thought of all those small family businesses. The thing that is different is that the couple who owns the pizza parlor don't have people coming up to them all night saying, "Your pizza changed my life". And the guy who twirls the pizza does not have chicks throwing themselves at him just because he can twirl a pizza. Magazines don't write stories about the family who owns the restaurant. And the pizza place doesn't have a message board where several dozen obsessive idiots argue about the merits of the thin crust versus the Scicillian. So, like Jason says in the new song, the situation isn't real life. Real people don't live that way.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

gerg

Post by gerg »

Everyone's right about space city being a fantastic moment. Everybody seems to have missed the wonderful quote from Prof Simon when he talks about his grad student taking 2 yrs to write a thesis that Cooley did in 3 minutes. Man, that was perfect!! :) The concert footage was generally pretty good.

Yes. As somebody who has always felt that Uncle Frank is the best song in the Truckers songbook, I appreciated that. Both he and Barr seemed to want to make sure to acknowledge the poignancy of UF, and it's relevance in the world they're putting light on. That was probably my favorite moment in the film. My only issue is that I'd have appreciated the full Uncle Frank in the bonus material. But that's nitpicking. What's there is excellent. And the Zip City is overdue, as it was left off of the 40 Watt DVD. We needed a video version with Jason's intro. Love that. Great job by all.

I got my copy at a local indy shop, btw. $19.01 after tax. Would have ordered from the website but couldn't wait.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

RevMatt wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

A couple of thoughts....

At the risk of this thread descending into creepiness, I will say this. Jason and Shonna were young when they married. Combine their youth with the fact that they were thrust into the life of a touring rock band, you have the makings for marital tensions.

I also thought of all those small family businesses. The thing that is different is that the couple who owns the pizza parlor don't have people coming up to them all night saying, "Your pizza changed my life". And the guy who twirls the pizza does not have chicks throwing themselves at him just because he can twirl a pizza. Magazines don't write stories about the family who owns the restaurant. And the pizza place doesn't have a message board where several dozen obsessive idiots argue about the merits of the thin crust versus the Scicillian. So, like Jason says in the new song, the situation isn't real life. Real people don't live that way.

My comments were solely directed toward what Jason said regarding working with your significant other and never having any space or separation on a daily basis. As far as you taking it further and inferring things, apparently you've never seen me twirl a pizza.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

jh13

Post by jh13 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

It's really interesting that you mentioned a manufacturing defect. Has anybody else noticed that while the movie is widescreen, the bonus material is 4:3 with black bars on the side? The footage appears to be horizontally stretched, too, as though it's really 16:9 footage that wasn't properly flagged when authoring the dvd. Is anybody else seeing the same thing, or is my disc possibly bad?

Absolutely loved the doc. Was up past midnight watching it after I got my son to bed and couldn't sleep afterward, I was so jazzed.

gerg

Post by gerg »

jh13 wrote:It's really interesting that you mentioned a manufacturing defect. Has anybody else noticed that while the movie is widescreen, the bonus material is 4:3 with black bars on the side? The footage appears to be horizontally stretched, too, as though it's really 16:9 footage that wasn't properly flagged when authoring the dvd. Is anybody else seeing the same thing, or is my disc possibly bad?

Absolutely loved the doc. Was up past midnight watching it after I got my son to bed and couldn't sleep afterward, I was so jazzed.

There's an EZB shot where he looks like Mr. Potato Head post-pasta roller.

jh13

Post by jh13 »

gerg wrote:
jh13 wrote:It's really interesting that you mentioned a manufacturing defect. Has anybody else noticed that while the movie is widescreen, the bonus material is 4:3 with black bars on the side? The footage appears to be horizontally stretched, too, as though it's really 16:9 footage that wasn't properly flagged when authoring the dvd. Is anybody else seeing the same thing, or is my disc possibly bad?

So it's not just me.

gerg

Post by gerg »

jh13 wrote:
gerg wrote:

So it's not just me.

It's not just you.

Also, I certainly hope that a good portion of the footage shot of them live for this will eventually see release. Though, from a business standpoint, it would make sense to hold onto it til a time when there isn't new product in the market. Which for better or worse, could be a long, long time based on their work ethic. But the period that was shot, while it seems was a difficult time for the band, is my favorite era for them as a live band. They were Godzilla smashing Tokyo in that 2004-2006 stretch. Just fucking lethal.

Crustyharp

"The Secret To A Happy Ending" reviews

Post by Crustyharp »

Hey there, folks -

Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere, but didn't see a DVD review thread.

This was a hoot to do up for Jambands.com:

http://www.jambands.com/reviews/dvds/2011/02/15/drive-by-truckers-the-secret-to-a-happy-ending

Yeah, even us old grey-haired hippies in Maine get it - I hope.

My favorite moment truly was Cooley at the end of "Space City" - wrung out, a million miles away. Nothing but real.

Take care and thanks.
Let's play now ... we can tune up later.

gerg

Post by gerg »

Btw, the look on Cooley's face after playing Space City is probably the most revealing thing I've ever seen from him. That was kind of uncomfortable. Just wanted to give the guy a hug.

beantownbubba

Re: "The Secret To A Happy Ending" reviews

Post by beantownbubba »

Yeah, check out the "Thoughts on" thread. That Cooley moment is mentioned only, oh, i dont know, 67 times, lol. Seems like you'll be a good fit here. And (don't tell anybody i said this) we can't have too many new englanders!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Crustyharp wrote:Hey there, folks -

Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere, but didn't see a DVD review thread.

http://www.jambands.com/reviews/dvds/2011/02/15/drive-by-truckers-the-secret-to-a-happy-ending

My favorite moment truly was Cooley at the end of "Space City" - wrung out, a million miles away. Nothing but real.

Take care and thanks.

Great job and thanks for sharing! I just thought merging the two threads and renaming it would make it easier for people to check it out.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Crustyharp

Re: Thoughts and Reviews on "Secret to a Happy Ending"

Post by Crustyharp »

Absolutely - thanks for the housekeeping. You gotta watch me.

Barr Weissman's got a gift, for a sure.

suntzu

Post by suntzu »

I was happy to see Weismann's intellectual side of the Trucker's place in the music genre' as not country, southern rock, alt country or other. He presented them as what I always saw as all of the above with a twist of Frat-boy, underground Atlanta (circa early 90's) and basically the people's band. Through strength and courage and raw talent did they emerge with their forever evolving sound that riffs of spirit undaunted by what I would call: un-fame. They're the epitome of the growing New Southern underground(non-mainstream radio) talent that one gets to enjoy at all the same network of band bars all across the country. We are really lucky to have discovered this rarity we call the Truckers , as I now am approaching a decade in my own following. We did not feel the early years of struggling against the wind, but were glad to feel the breeze as they have always been a band on the brink of success. Last year was milestone for the band I love with the Tom Petty thing, but must admit, selfishly that I enjoy them within an arms reach. While enjoying the movie with the Swamps I couldn't help but wonder what the others in the crowd were thinking @ the 5 points theater. But then, who cares. The film missed several chances to chime in some Cooleyisms more often than oblitterating us with Pattersonisms and his mandolin. But who am I and what does it mean except that I am a typical DBT fan:Totally fucking ate up with it!!!Loved the film!! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Yep, probably shouldn't commented on the manufacturing defect thing before actually watching my copy. I just found it odd that no one else had reported not being able to score the DVD because of the same issue. When I was watching it last night the screen locked up for a few seconds during one of the final chapters. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this. I was watching on someone else's DVD player so I'm not sure if it will do it on mine.

On the Cooley moment, anyone notice where Patterson tries to have a similar one towards the end of the film? Cooley's is much more convincing because he truly seems to be overtaken by the moment.

rockreid

Post by rockreid »

Wow! Truly fantastic! DBT continues to amaze me with their honesty. I don't know of another band who would put themselves out there like that.

I''ve never looked for a reason or tried to justify them as my favorite band, but if someone should ask. I know what exhibit A will be.

sidenote-RevMatt I still disagree with you about your false modesty thought on Patterson simply because it's not his style. Thank God for him. Patterson's vision, awareness, and hard-head demeanor is astounding. All in a good way. Regardless, I look forward to shaking your hand and buying you a drink one day at one their shows. :D

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

weeny wrote:Wow! Truly fantastic! DBT continues to amaze me with their honesty. I don't know of another band who would put themselves out there like that.

I''ve never looked for a reason or tried to justify them as my favorite band, but if someone should ask. I know what exhibit A will be.

sidenote-RevMatt I still disagree with you about your false modesty thought on Patterson simply because it's not his style. Thank God for him. Patterson's vision, awareness, and hard-head demeanor is astounding. All in a good way. Regardless, I look forward to shaking your hand and buying you a drink one day at one their shows. :D

Weeny, the best part about DBT shows for me is meeting people from 3DD.

I feel strongly that Patterson should give himself credit for what he has accomplished. Not just as a musician but as a businessman. DBT provides a livelihood for how many families? Given the band and crew, it is probably around a dozen. It is a successful small business. If it was a machine shop instead of a band, he'd be on the chamber of commerce.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Watched the film for the first time last night and to say I was impressed would be an understatement. It didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know (or at least suspect) but it confirmed every reason I love this band. Crustyharp write in his review that one key difference between his film and Wilco's I Am Trying To Break Your Heart was that despite the tension Barr Weissman doesn't try to make anyone a villain. I agree with that wholeheartedly (although I think I disagree with who the villain was in the Wilco film, I always thought it made Tweedy look an ass not Bennett). Instead all the various band members, crew, friends and family come off as what they are, human beings. Simply a wonderful film.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Crustyharp

Post by Crustyharp »

Hey there, TC -

Totally agree with you on the "villain" role in the Wilco as far as my own impression at the time, too - but I think Jay lugged that load around right 'til the end ...

I had a chance to do an interview with him for Glide in Sept of '08:

http://www.glidemagazine.com/articles/54761/jay-bennett-1963-2009-a-final-interview.html

and stayed in touch up until his death. He was never bitter in our conversations - but he did always refer to the Wilco flick as a "documentary" (with the quotation marks).

ANYWAY - no schlock from Barr Weissman. He got it, baby. He really got it. Like looking through a real, live family album.

That rocks its ever-loving ass off.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

I'd love to be able to chime in and give my thoughts on the film or see if my disc had any manufacturing flaws, but my deluxe preorder hasn't gotten here yet and my shipping info hasn't been updated since Tuesday morning, when it supposedly left a shipping facility in California. Very pissed with Topsin and the whole preorder deal.

gonzalo

Post by gonzalo »

I'm wating to receive the dvd, meanwhile, what are the full songs included in the bonus?

gerg

Post by gerg »

gonzalo wrote:I'm wating to receive the dvd, meanwhile, what are the full songs included in the bonus?

Zip City
Ronnie & Neil
Women Without Whiskey
Lookout Mounatain

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Crustyharp wrote:Hey there, folks -

Take care and thanks.

i like how you took the term "southern gothic" and flipped it over to the people who need to get a life. clever use of the cliche w/o being a part of it....or some shit like that.

excellent read.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

suntzu wrote:I was happy to see Weismann's intellectual side of the Trucker's place in the music genre' as not country, southern rock, alt country or other. He presented them as what I always saw as all of the above with a twist of Frat-boy, underground Atlanta (circa early 90's) and basically the people's band. Through strength and courage and raw talent did they emerge with their forever evolving sound that riffs of spirit undaunted by what I would call: un-fame. They're the epitome of the growing New Southern underground(non-mainstream radio) talent that one gets to enjoy at all the same network of band bars all across the country. We are really lucky to have discovered this rarity we call the Truckers , as I now am approaching a decade in my own following. We did not feel the early years of struggling against the wind, but were glad to feel the breeze as they have always been a band on the brink of success. Last year was milestone for the band I love with the Tom Petty thing, but must admit, selfishly that I enjoy them within an arms reach.

^^^^^^^^ like that part
suntzu wrote:While enjoying the movie with the Swamps I couldn't help but wonder what the others in the crowd were thinking @ the 5 points theater. But then, who cares. The film missed several chances to chime in some Cooleyisms more often than oblitterating us with Pattersonisms and his mandolin. But who am I and what does it mean except that I am a typical DBT fan:Totally fucking ate up with it!!!Loved the film!! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

you can't put my name in the same post that you come down on the mandolin :D
when you know how much I love it. :lol:
....................................................And I know you can't help thinking about the dirt underneath ;)
Last edited by Swamp on Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Watched the film for the first time last night and to say I was impressed would be an understatement. It didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know (or at least suspect) but it confirmed every reason I love this band. Crustyharp write in his review that one key difference between his film and Wilco's I Am Trying To Break Your Heart was that despite the tension Barr Weissman doesn't try to make anyone a villain. I agree with that wholeheartedly (although I think I disagree with who the villain was in the Wilco film, I always thought it made Tweedy look an ass not Bennett). Instead all the various band members, crew, friends and family come off as what they are, human beings. Simply a wonderful film.

I agree with all of that. It's a long, sloppy love letter more than a movie. And it's great.

OTOH, I think it would have been a very different film had the band not locked the film crew out of the studio while they were recording ABAAC. Probably would've looked a lot like the Wilco movie. Or maybe not. That was the impression I got from listening to Barr talk about it at the screening I attended.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

roland

Post by roland »

Can't fucking wait to pop this in the DVD player tonight in the theater room. Didn't get to see it in the theaters, but my setup makes it worth waiting for. I'm on my 2nd Jameson, there's about to be cube steak & onions frying up, and some sticky stinky goodness for dessert then it's upstairs for the screening. I can't fucking wait!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Fuckin loved it. Ain't really the right person/fan to look at it too critically; it nailed exactly why I love this band so much. Everybody came off great, especially Shonna & Jason - which was different to see in a documentary (or any movie, for that matter). DBT's history is filled with so many great characters (Gregory Dean Smalley, all the Shoals guys, the Freeds, David Barbe, Chris Quillen - not even going into the ones not featured in the film, like Scott Baxendale, Ray McKinnon, etc) it's hard to look at it all as being coincidence. I don't know what else it would be, but... it's something. Magic.
I can't say anything about the couple seconds after Space City that hasn't already been said - but damn.

I'm a guy who watches COPS for the scenery - they'll be an arrest and I'll be looking at the old buildings and the weeds growing up thru the sidewalk instead of the action (weird, I know). I love seeing parts of the country that you can't see on main street,a postcard or from the interstate, ya know? This film is chocked full of great shots like that. Beautiful.
Alabama.

I've heard people say "it should've been longer" or that they should've went deeper into detail on certain things - but I don't think that's what this movie was about. I hit all the right buttons, and will be a great tool in explaining the appeal of the band and the reason I (and I'm sure most of ya'll) feel so strongly about this band.

Wes Freed:
Thirty years from now, Cooley & Hood should be the next Jagger & Richards
but what's right and what happens ain't always how it works out

I'm hoping he's wrong.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.