DBT Tracks #39 - The Southern Thing

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: DBT Tracks #39 - The Southern Thing

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

During the panel discussion at Hopscotch someone asked about songs that took on a different meaning after they were written and recorded. Patterson mentioned "Angels & Fuselage" in light of the events of September 11, 2001, especially when one of their next gigs was in NYC (I believe this was also mentioned in The Secret To A Happy Ending). The other one he mentioned is "The Southern Thing". He said when he started seeing fans waving around Confederate flags in the audience during the song it was clear they had the wrong idea so they stopped playing it (or at least stopped playing it as often). I remember it used to be a real staple of the shows (particularly the story that prefaced it) for a very long time. So much so, that as much as I liked the song, I started to grow tired of hearing it live at nearly every show. Has anyone else noticed a significant drop off of them playing it live over the years?

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Clams wrote:

Man executed for dragging death of James Byrd
updated 7:45 PM EST, Wed September 21, 2011
(CNN) -- Lawrence Russell Brewer was executed in Texas Wednesday evening for his involvement in the infamous dragging death of a black man 13 years ago.
Brewer, 44, was one of three men convicted for involvement in the murder of James Byrd.
He was executed by lethal injection at 6:21 p.m. local time (7:21 p.m. ET) Wednesday, according to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/21/justice/t ... ?hpt=hp_t2

All week we've been hearing about the people protesting the execution in Georgia. Then yesterday on the way to work
I hear about the one in Texas on NPR(for the first time). An execution is an execution. Either your against it or you're for it.
I have to wonder about these so called anti execution people if they're gonna pick and choose who they decide to try to save.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Swamp wrote:
Clams wrote:Man executed for dragging death of James Byrd
updated 7:45 PM EST, Wed September 21, 2011
(CNN) -- Lawrence Russell Brewer was executed in Texas Wednesday evening for his involvement in the infamous dragging death of a black man 13 years ago.
Brewer, 44, was one of three men convicted for involvement in the murder of James Byrd.
He was executed by lethal injection at 6:21 p.m. local time (7:21 p.m. ET) Wednesday, according to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/21/justice/t ... ?hpt=hp_t2

All week we've been hearing about the people protesting the execution in Georgia. Then yesterday on the way to work
I hear about the one in Texas on NPR(for the first time). An execution is an execution. Either your against it or you're for it.
I have to wonder about these so called anti execution people if they're gonna pick and choose who they decide to try to save.

Funny you should mention that. This just went up on my Facebook status: Troy Davis: Why Poster Boys Don't Matter.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Sterling Big Mouth

Post by Sterling Big Mouth »

Great intro to this version from 2002.

Last Day Saloon - 1-12-02

http://www.archive.org/details/dbt2002-01-12.flac16
Three guitars or a life of crime

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

This will probably bring an end to this discussion (as my posts often do), but I don't really see how anyone who actually listens to the lyrics could get the impression that this is a redneck anthem.

And I love the guitar feedback.

OkieinTexas, now in Ky.
Don't you dare cock block the rock (™)Smitty 2016 all rights reserved.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

OkieinTexas wrote:This will probably bring an end to this discussion (as my posts often do), but I don't really see how anyone who actually listens to the lyrics could get the impression that this is a redneck anthem.

I think that was Patterson's point. That some of the fans just heard "The Southern Thing" part and ignored the rest. Also can't say I've ever seen a Confederate flag in the audience at a DBTs show but he said at one point, fans started to show up with them. I could understand this happening during the dates they did with Skynyrd but from the way he worded it during the songwriters panel, I got the impression that it was happening at DBT concerts well after Southern Rock Opera was first released.

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote: I think that was Patterson's point. That some of the fans just heard "The Southern Thing" part and ignored the rest.

Not trying to flame, but I understood Patterson's point. I get the impression that DBT respects its audience and understands that with this band the lyrics mean as much as the music, otherwise we would be listening to the Kings of Leon or some other crap. I would think that as articulate as Patterson is, he puts as much time, if not more, into his lyrics as he does the music. It''s a shame that the LCD portion of the DBT fan base would make him feel that TST was sending the wrong message.

But what about the feedback!
Don't you dare cock block the rock (™)Smitty 2016 all rights reserved.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Patterson illustrated southern culture as best he could in one great song. You can't let the actions of some illustrate the notions of a whole. I respected DBT and the south more from the first listen of this song. Immeasurable and one of my favorites still. Unfortunately some folks hear opinions of some people, places or things and stand by them lazily. Patterson and DBT set them in check. Outstanding.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

This past weekend I went home to visit my parents and grandmothers.

Behind my parents' house is an very peaceful family cemetery in the middle of the woods. The cemetery is very small and only has about ten graves. I always find it interesting because my great great grandparents' graves are there and all of their children are listed on their headstone as well as the dates they were born and died. There's a lot of recorded family history on that headstone!

I started talking to my dad about this, and dad told me that my great great grandfather was a confederate soldier and thought he was at the surrender in Appomattox where I now live (about two hours from my parents' house and the cemetery).

I was texting with one of my buddies about my great great grandpa, and immediately my buddy wanted to know if my great great grandpa had a hole in his side and if he used to show it to the family around Christmas?!?

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

Sterling Big Mouth wrote:Great intro to this version from 2002.

Last Day Saloon - 1-12-02

Love this intro, it needs to be revived along with the song itself.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Eyes Above It wrote:
Sterling Big Mouth wrote:
Yeah this is appreciated. If I hear one more numbskull tell me that every confederate foot soldier was a white supremacist I'll scream.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

Rocky wrote:
Eyes Above It wrote:
Yeah this is appreciated. If I hear one more numbskull tell me that every confederate foot soldier was a white supremacist I'll scream.
"The other side of the story should be told"

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Rocky wrote:
Eyes Above It wrote:
I believe it was the other way around as many federal soldiers were there to stop the inflow of blacks into this country.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?