Bulldozers and Dirt/Nine Bullets 7" Single

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

excmcr

Bulldozers and Dirt/Nine Bullets 7" Single

Post by excmcr »

For any of you vinyl freaks out there, thought some of you might be interested. I was clicking through the onofthesedays.org site and stumbled upon the Misc. tab and saw the Bulldozers and Dirt/Nine Bullets 7". I was curious if I could find it anywhere. Well here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DRIVE-TRUCKERS-1st- ... 1c192fde1d

tinnitus photography

Re: Bulldozers and Dirt/Nine Bullets 7" Single

Post by tinnitus photography »

that seller needs to return to reality...$250? never.

Monty610

Post by Monty610 »

3 posts? Spam alert...

excmcr

Post by excmcr »

:lol: Ha, no spam alert here. Look at my join date.

I read more than I post, or I am a "lurker" as some would say.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I suppose I could afford the $150 one was offered to me for in Athens, but I'll tell you: Nothing beats the thrill of finding something like that out of the blue. I know that ain't gonna happen, just like I wasn't going to turn up the white label copy of Are You Experienced which I found for $3 in 1985.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Monty610

Post by Monty610 »

*edited*
Last edited by Monty610 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

excmcr wrote::lol: Ha, no spam alert here. Look at my join date.

I read more than I post, or I am a "lurker" as some would say.

you joined a week ago (Jan 28th)...

Monty610

Post by Monty610 »

:lol: Busted...

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Be nice. His first 2 posts were set lists
Always go to the show

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

tinnitus photography wrote:that seller needs to return to reality...$250? never.

$350 buy now!

I paid nearly $100US* for a copy of the first single with the brown and black cover. there was (I think) a second pressing with a white and black sleeve. I'd like a copy of that, just to be a completist.

*at least the exchange rate was OK.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Monty610

Post by Monty610 »

Jonicont wrote:Be nice. His first 2 posts were set lists

Cool, I'm just playin...

Jenn

Post by Jenn »

Steve French wrote:
I paid nearly $100US* for a copy of the first single with the brown and black cover. there was (I think) a second pressing with a white and black sleeve. I'd like a copy of that, just to be a completist.

If I remember correctly, black and white covers came first - then black and brown.
どれだけ涙を流せば
貴方を忘れられるだろう
Just tell me my life
何処まで歩いてみても
涙で明日が見えない

Will

Post by Will »

I bought one of those at Wuxtry for a friend's birthday around the time they came out, but didn't buy one for myself.

I am an idiot.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Will wrote:I am an idiot.

We frown on calling people names here
Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jonicont wrote:

That's why we're not calling him Will. ;)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

beantownbubba wrote:
Jonicont wrote:

That's why we're not calling him Will. ;)

:lol:
Always go to the show

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

So much for used vinyl being the cheapest way to build up your music collection. :D
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

excmcr

Post by excmcr »

Monty610 wrote:
Jonicont wrote:Be nice. His first 2 posts were set lists

Cool, I'm just playin...

Haha figured as much. Tis all good. Thought it was cool to see it out there at least.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Jenn wrote:
Steve French wrote:

If I remember correctly, black and white covers came first - then black and brown.

Thanks for the clarification :)

I am nearly 100% sure that this vendor is the guy I bought my copy from. He was excellent to deal with, also has some cool stuff.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Hud

Post by Hud »

I always have thought this single on ebay was odd, there is always one for sale on ebay, for around 4 years now. A reproduction or someone found a case in a warehouse?
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Millerdm

Post by Millerdm »

For newbies like me, what do the songs SOUND like? How different are they from the versions on the album?

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Ha, I'm the opposite of a DBT newbie, and I'd like to know, too! I'm tempted every time this pops up on eBay, but can't rationalize $175.00. But don't think it isn't on my watch list even as I type this!

But yeah, can anyone answer this? Are they different mixes? Different versions entirely?

I'm hoping I'm browsing in some BFE record store one day and just find a copy in the dollar bin. Stranger things have happened!

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

Wish I would have started collecting vinyl sooner and bought one from Byron before he passed away. I miss the big guy and his political rants.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I bought one back at my first DBTs show in Chapel Hill in 2000 when Patterson was selling homemade copies of Killers and Stars but I've never listened to it because I still don't have a turntable.

scotto

Post by scotto »

To answer the sound question, the 45 does "sound" different from both the CD and the vinyl reissue, but not different enough to prove it's a totally different recording--could just be the way it was mastered for the 45 vs. the CD, etc. But I believe these songs were recorded before the rest of the album, so who knows.
If someone has the definitive lowdown on this (Paging Dr. Hood...paging Dr. Hood) I'd like to know, too.

ariedl

Post by ariedl »

I believe the versions on the 7" are the same as those on the 5 song EP, which was everything the band recorded (I think) in the infamous first session on June 10, 1996. I'm pretty sure that "Margo and Harold" from the EP is the only song that showed up on a later release in its original form.

The version of "Bulldozers and Dirt" from the 7"/EP is much faster than the version on PD. The backing vocals are more Adam Howell and less Cooley, at least to my ears. "Nine Bullets" on the 7"/EP is mostly (if not completely) acoustic, whereas the version on PD is mostly electric. The original also has more prominent pedal steel.

All in all, I like each of these versions, but those on PD sound like a band who had been playing the songs for a couple of years and had really grown into them. I hope I'm not wrong and that they used versions from much earlier!

By the way, I have 2 copies of the EP cassette, and 3 copies (1 brown/2 white) of the 7", and my wife would absolutely kill me if she knew how much I spent on all 5. I was lucky to connect with Byron Wilkes a couple of years before he passed away, and I think he had a small stash of the 7" singles from when he worked in some capacity for DBT. Every couple of months he would put one on ebay to supplement his income. He was a really nice guy, and I was shocked when he died so suddenly.

Alec
Last edited by ariedl on Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ariedl

Post by ariedl »

BTW, if Patterson actually posts with some details, and he says it's cool (as he did for AAW), I could post a download link for the EP. But only if he says it's OK!

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

Thanks for the info, Alec. You're right about Byron. He used to have a stash of those in his shop while it was open and he always had PD and GB for sale as well as SRO right after it came out. He helped them with distribution for a while. I think the 7 inches got boxed up once he moved out of the shop and went mostly to making his living selling stuff on Ebay. When he found the 7 inches, he would put one online every few months.

Miss that guy.

Millerdm

Post by Millerdm »

ariedl wrote:BTW, if Patterson actually posts with some details, and he says it's cool (as he did for AAW), I could post a download link for the EP. But only if he says it's OK!

I'd kill to hear those recordings. Here's hoping that Patterson does not have a problem with your generous offer to share. Who knows? Maybe he will say no because there is a box set in the future. That would be equally great news.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

ariedl wrote:"Nine Bullets" on the 7"/EP is mostly (if not completely) acoustic, whereas the version on PD is mostly electric. The original also has more prominent pedal steel.

I think I asked this before and Smitty replied but I don't recall his answer. Is this the same version of "Nine Bullets" that appears on the Revival Volume 2: Kudzu and Hollerin' Contest compilation on Yep Roc? That was the first cut I ever heard by DBT, btw.