go go boots reviews

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

bovine knievel

Re: go go boots reviews

Post by bovine knievel »

cortez the killer wrote:Have I mentioned Patterson owns this record?

Interesting... I agree 100%. kinda feels like an extension of Murdering Oscar (Patterson's contributions, of course)
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

BostonREB

Post by BostonREB »

As of right this particular moment, my top five:

1. Mercy Buckets
2. Everybody Needs Love
3. Used To Be A Cop
4. I Do Believe (just wish they hadn't put the Patterson solo intro in it)
5. Where's Eddie

I can't believe that there is no Cooley on the list. But that's today and I can't see Cartoon Gold or Pulaski staying off the list for long.
Send lawyers, guns and money....

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

1. Mercy Buckets
2. The Fireplace Poker
3. Ray's Automatic Weapon
4. Everybody Needs Love
5. Cartoon Gold

mwh

Post by mwh »

Zip City wrote:This might be my first DBT album ever where Cooley doesn't make my top 5.

As for Dancin' Rickey, I'd rank it behind You've Got Another and Purgatory Line at the very least.

100% agree with both of these statements. Patterson fills all 5 top slots from this record on my list and those are the best 2 Shonna songs imo.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

beantownbubba wrote: It is a comment on the public and not Cooley or the band that both “Pulaski” and “Weakest Man” sound to me like country chart hits waiting to happen for some mainstream country singer (I don’t know enough about that scene to say who the likely candidates might be).

Unfortunately (for the most part) I am pretty knowledgeable about that scene, and you'd have been right saying they would've been hits if it were 30+ years ago - those tracks are way too traditional for the country charts.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

shuffle

Post by shuffle »

1. Mercy Buckets
2. The Fireplace Poker
3. Used To Be A Cop
4. Everybody Needs Love
5. I Do Believe
http://twitter.com/birdsneedfeet
http://www.birdsneedfeet.com/

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

Mercy Buckets
Ray's Automatic Weapon
Used to Be A Cop
Love
Eddie
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

1) Go Go Boots
2) Pulaski
3) Mercy Buckets
4) Used To Be A Cop
5) Everybody Needs Love
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

bovine knievel wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:Have I mentioned Patterson owns this record?

Interesting... I agree 100%. kinda feels like an extension of Murdering Oscar (Patterson's contributions, of course)

Particularly on "Thanksgiving Filter" which induces the same sinister grin I get when "Belvedere" comes on.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Crustyharp

Post by Crustyharp »

Eff Rolling Stone. No soul.

Here's my take for Jambands.com:

http://www.jambands.com/reviews/cds/2011/02/15/drive-by-truckers-go-go-boots
Let's play now ... we can tune up later.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Last edited by Flying Rabbit on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:Any bets on a Pitchfork score?

I'll set the over/under at 5.6

So the over's an easy winner. Hope the house can cover all the bets :)

Rabbit, the rule is to link to reviews & such, not reprint them - legal stuff.

Interesting take on the "diabetes" line in "Dancing Ricky" and I thought an interesting notion of recalling the "ramshackle vibe of the first 2 albums."

The words seem a lot more positive than the numbers, tho i'm not overly familiar w/ pitchfork's system.

Dont know how one can review GGB w/out mentioning "Mercy Buckets."

Shonna seems like the biggest winner in the "review sweepstakes" so far :)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

I usually like Deusner's reviews more than most of his co-workers', and he's done most of the Truckers reviews in recent years and done an OK job, but this one is terrible. At least he liked it and gave it a good score.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

This isn't exactly a review, but I didn't want to start a brand new thread, so here's a Prefix interview with Patterson

http://www.prefixmag.com/features/drive ... iew/48927/

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

beantownbubba wrote:Rabbit, the rule is to link to reviews & such, not reprint them - legal stuff.

Rules, dude. Rules. :oops:

Yeah, I kinda was holding my breath for the Pf score, because like it or not, they hold a lot more sway on the internet than people like to admit. A 7.7 is pretty respectable, and while their reviews tend to not be reviews but rather ramblings, its still cool to see them do well on there. Heck, that bump in score from TBTD's review might bring some people out.

Btw, BTB you were mentioning about not being too familiar with Pf's scoring. Basically it is like wine scores--if an album gets a 90+ its gonna be a big seller with the "indie" crowd. One thing I found though, the "Best New Music" tag doesn't necessarily mean its going to be on their end of the year list of best music. Which is odd.

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

Honestly 7.7 is a great score for a band like the Truckers on Pitchfork. They very rarely give good scores to Americana-leaning acts and the high 7's are pretty much the upper threshold for that kind of music for them. The 8.4 they slapped on The Dirty South is probably the highest score they've ever given to an act like DBT (though naturally it still didn't get a best new music tab, even though virtually every album they review that scores in that range does).

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

In the world of obsessiveness we all inhabit, breaking scores down into tenths of a point seems remarkably, excessively obsessive. Sort of gives me the creeps, imagining someone sitting in a dark room deciding whether "x" is a 7.4 or a 7.5, and if the last one was a 7.0, is this one a whole half a point better or only 4 tenths of a point better...

Looked at another, perhaps more rational, way, it implies a level of sophistication and precision which just doesn't exist, at least not in the unsophisticated, imprecise world in which i live.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

My guess is Pitchfork has a systematic formula, rivaling the NFL's QB rating system, with which they come up with the final album score. With any review, I always prefer reading what the reviewer has to say than simply looking at the number, but I also like the fact that there is a number component to the overall review. I know there exists debate/discussion as to how one can rank or place a numeric value on a piece or work of art, but I have no problem with how someone like Pitchfork goes about reviewing an album. I often have deep philosophical differences with the conclusions they arrive at and the incredibly arrogant manner in which their reviews are presented, but that's a whole different issue that falls under the broad umbrella of "hipster douchebags."
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Oh yeah, i agree 100%: Want to read the words and prefer them when it comes to trying to gain any kind of understanding or guidance, but like having the number, too; it's often very handy. As i said the incredibly fine distinctions implicit in a rating scale divided into tenths of a point (when they're already using a 10 point scale when most publications use a 4 or 5 point scale) just seems more than a little over the top. But I guess it sort of fits w/ their reputation for being arrogant hipster douchebags.

Edit: Forgot to say, i really like the analogy to the NFL QB ratings: images of supercomputers crunching data late into the night to come up w/ the exactly right score :D

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

rlipps wrote:This isn't exactly a review, but I didn't want to start a brand new thread, so here's a Prefix interview with Patterson

I think our record Blessing and a Curse seems to polarize the fans the most, but I’m not sure if I want it back. It’s got a couple of our best moments on it, but also a couple of our worst. I’m real proud of “A World of Hurt,” but I’d pull the title cut of the album. No one will ever hear us play that hasn’t already heard us play it.

I've seen them play it! Nyah Nyah Nyah! :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P :P :mrgreen:
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

mwh

Post by mwh »

I also like the QB rating analogy. To make it completely analogous Pitchfork would need to set the max at some random point like 13.2 and tell no one how to calculate it.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Gator McKlusky wrote:
rlipps wrote:This isn't exactly a review, but I didn't want to start a brand new thread, so here's a Prefix interview with Patterson

I think our record Blessing and a Curse seems to polarize the fans the most, but I’m not sure if I want it back. It’s got a couple of our best moments on it, but also a couple of our worst. I’m real proud of “A World of Hurt,” but I’d pull the title cut of the album. No one will ever hear us play that hasn’t already heard us play it.

I've seen them play it! Nyah Nyah Nyah! :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P :P :mrgreen:

I heard them soundcheck it in June of 2006 when they were out on the road with the Black Crowes.
Keep calm and have a cigar

mcjagger

Post by mcjagger »

Another great album...the two Hinton covers are probably my favorite songs and Mercy Buckets is a great original.

Anyone know where I can get the two bonus tracks from the i-tunes deluxe version? thanks

GivenToVisions

Post by GivenToVisions »

I always thought the title track of ABAAC was a huge clunker, too. I'm also a huge fan of the TV show "The Shield," and Shane (played by Walton Goggins who of course also has the DBT connection via his work with Ray McKinnon) is twice shown listening to DBT in the show- once in his car playing "18 Wheels of Love," and later near the tragic finale playing "A Blessing and a Curse" at home. Maybe they liked the lyrics for the situation that he was in at that point, but I always wondered how the producers landed on that track when there are 50-60 other ones that are much better.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

It's well documented that I love ABAAC more than most, but I hope "Aftermath USA" doesn't fall into the "never getting played again" category. That song never seems to get played, and it fucking rocks. Not sure why anyone wouldn't like it. Patterson wrote a killer boogie that has filthy ass guitars all over it.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Iowan wrote:It's well documented that I love ABAAC more than most, but I hope "Aftermath USA" doesn't fall into the "never getting played again" category. That song never seems to get played, and it fucking rocks. Not sure why anyone wouldn't like it. Patterson wrote a killer boogie that has filthy ass guitars all over it.

Aftermath was the song that got me hooked on the band.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

sactochris wrote:
Iowan wrote:It's well documented that I love ABAAC more than most, but I hope "Aftermath USA" doesn't fall into the "never getting played again" category. That song never seems to get played, and it fucking rocks. Not sure why anyone wouldn't like it. Patterson wrote a killer boogie that has filthy ass guitars all over it.

Aftermath was the song that got me hooked on the band.

Same here. I really dug the first 3 tracks instantly, but I remember saying out loud "holy mother of fuck" during Aftermath. God I love that song.

You can hear my buddy and I chanting for it on boots from the 2007 Iowa City show. To no avail.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

repeat
Last edited by Iowan on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Really good interview. I like how he digs under the surface.
If you don't run you rust

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

this could've already been posted - I apologize if it was
The general layout of songs on Go-Go Boots merits repeat listening as the album’s strongest material is reserved for its second half. The only major gripe of the album is Shonna Tucker’s vocals, usually reserved for the band’s best material, are underutilized. But that doesn’t keep Go-Go Boots from being a worthy purchase. With Hood’s songwriting remaining this solid and the band comfortably settling into a great groove, Go-Go Boots could have been four years in the waiting and still would not have disappointed.
:?

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/136 ... -go-boots/
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.