DBT to Play Jack White's Joint.vinyl will result!

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

SmashedinNashville

Re: DBT to Play Jack White's Joint.vinyl will result!

Post by SmashedinNashville »

Dave wrote:
SmashedinNashville wrote:Nope. Jack picked a rough part of town on purpose.

Next time try venturing to 12South (litereally take 12 Avenue South from town) or East Nashville for some hellacious bars. That's about all we have. Tons of bars.

That's a good idea, for an evening show. Where do the locals have lunch on a Sunday morning is more pressing. We found tourist heaven (downtown), and are surviving but not thriving.

Sorry! Didn't think about the need for some grease the morning after. :)

Next time - go to Copper Kettle for brunch (cool view of downtown from their deck), Arnold's (same street as Cannery) if they are open, 417 Union. All of those places are downtown, good Southern fare, but also have other stuff. If the Arcade on 4th-5th is open, go to House of Pizza!! If you wanted other types of cuisine, there is pretty much anything you can dream of.
Last edited by SmashedinNashville on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

SmashedinNashville

Virgil Caine wrote:Great show. It was a nice change of pace from last night. Patterson was really enjoying himself. Love Like This was worth the admission.

The black and blue vinyl will be a nice addition to my DBT collection. Can't wait to spin it. Helluva weekend for Nashville.

Completely agree. I think this was one of my favorite shows, but just wish it had been their typical 2-2.5 hour show. :)
Thought they nailed every song and were playing on top of their game (is that possible?). It wasn't the usual wild and rowdy show, but I have a feeling if anyone was new to a DBT show, they will be instant converts. Wonder what Jack White thought? Hope he was thinking "damn!!"

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

I know what I am thinking now. What possessed me to think it was a good idea to drive 9 hours Sunday night and be at work by 7:30 Monday morning? ;)
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

SmashedinNashville

Same here Maluca!
All that is getting me through is coffee and being able to relive this weekend vicariously through the message boards,streams and youtube. :)

So - when will they be coming close by again? :D

Not sure if I can wait for Go Go Boots to come out. Have loved every song they played from it so far. And can't wait to use some of it in my classes. It has some killer groove.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Anybody know why it was such a short set? Is it simply a problem fitting more onto two sides of vinyl?
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Dave

Post by Dave »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:Anybody know why it was such a short set? Is it simply a problem fitting more onto two sides of vinyl?

Yeah, I think that they knew going into this that they were going to release just a single (front/back) vinyl record. Thus, there were limits on how long they could play (and record). I sorta wish I knew that before hand, as that would have changed my expectations.

Still, it was a really good show. Always nice to hear David Hood. Mercy Buckets is just a beautiful song. Love Like This is always purdy. And it was nice to see the Jack White studio (nice place). Now, I just have to make it through the "thinking" part of the day, and I can collapse and recover.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Kinda bummed I didn't at least attempt to hit this up, but in hindsight it would've been a disaster with me getting over being sick and driving all that way.

Glad they committed the David Hood time to tape . Third Man does some really unique releases. Would've been cool if they would've done a whiskey smelling vinyl (a la the peach one awhile back) or press it in "whiskey brown" vinyl. Ah well.

Will definitely be picking up the unlimited black version when it comes on sale (some locals tell me in 3 weeks). Hate to see what the ebay prices will be for the black and blue version will be :roll:

mrs.clauskimono

Post by mrs.clauskimono »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:Anybody know why it was such a short set? Is it simply a problem fitting more onto two sides of vinyl?

the guy working there said they can only fit 1 hour music on the vinyl.
Love, Peace, & Hood's Hair Grease.

JAYFROMBAMA

Post by JAYFROMBAMA »

Jack was there last night. He was hanging out and chatting with the band, family and friends before the show. He watched the first few songs from a couple steps up a ladder, leaning in a corner, right outside the door leading to the back stage lounge. I was right in front of him at that point. When I looked back during the tape change, he was gone. I basically took his spot at that time. I never saw him after that.
Swankiest joint I've ever been in. Backstage areas at the National in Richmond and the Norva in Norfolk are pretty swank, but Third Man was another level entirely!!!
Overall a rather strange, but fun, early evening, 45 minute set! It is too bad it had to end so soon....

DeadDrunk&Naked

Post by DeadDrunk&Naked »

mrs.clauskimono wrote:

the guy working there said they can only fit 1 hour music on the vinyl.

You should of informed him about double, even triple LPs
my shits fucked up

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

I think they're ready for a 5-disc live vinyl set like Springsteen's '75-85'.

mrs.clauskimono

Post by mrs.clauskimono »

how do i post a photo?
Love, Peace, & Hood's Hair Grease.

GuitarManUpstairs

mrs.clauskimono wrote:how do i post a photo?

It has to be hosted somewhere on theinternet like facebook or photobucket. There should be a menu where is has the URL code which you can copy, then paste in between the IMG brackets from the button on this board. Should work.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

mrs.clauskimono wrote:how do i post a photo?

tutorial from wrekkr:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1717#p65161
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

GuitarManUpstairs

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

check the other bands forum
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Virgil Caine

Post by Virgil Caine »

For those waiting on the black & blue vinyl like me, I called Third Man today. They said they have 2 other shows that still have to be pressed, and they are a little backed up. Should be another month or two.
It's easier to let it all die a fairy tale than admit that something bigger's passing through

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

Virgil Caine wrote:For those waiting on the black & blue vinyl like me, I called Third Man today. They said they have 2 other shows that still have to be pressed, and they are a little backed up. Should be another month or two.

Just like my three year old. If only life were easier.

Virgil Caine

Post by Virgil Caine »

mark lynn wrote:
Virgil Caine wrote:For those waiting on the black & blue vinyl like me, I called Third Man today. They said they have 2 other shows that still have to be pressed, and they are a little backed up. Should be another month or two.

Just like my three year old. If only life were easier.

Well played good sir.....
It's easier to let it all die a fairy tale than admit that something bigger's passing through

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Just saw this on Facecrack in regards to the Truckers' release on Third Man Records:

Via Third Man Records: "Black & Blue LPs are in! If you pre-ordered at their show here at TMR, come on by and pick it up. Please bring your receipt".

We'll have additional information for general public order Tuesday, next week so stay tuned. JPW

Emily

Post by Emily »

Similar but slightly more detailed info from the TMR newsletter:

The Drive-By Truckers Live at Third Man Records LPs are now in stock and will be available on our website Tuesday May 31st. If you were in attendance at the show and purchased a Black & Blue edition of the vinyl, feel free to drop by Third Man store anytime to pick that up. Just please remember to bring your receipt! If you came in from out of town for the show and asked for your Black & Blue to be shipped to you, those will be shipping early next week.

Best TMR release to date? Yes. I can't wait to get this.
she was all provocative and everything
until she saw what I was capable of

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Emily wrote:Similar but slightly more detailed info from the TMR newsletter:

The Drive-By Truckers Live at Third Man Records LPs are now in stock and will be available on our website Tuesday May 31st. If you were in attendance at the show and purchased a Black & Blue edition of the vinyl, feel free to drop by Third Man store anytime to pick that up. Just please remember to bring your receipt! If you came in from out of town for the show and asked for your Black & Blue to be shipped to you, those will be shipping early next week.

Best TMR release to date? Yes. I can't wait to get this.

Thanks for the more detailed info as I'm definitely going to be interested in ordering a copy.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Been checking this forum twice a day for this exact news. Can't wait! Hope this doesn't sell out before I can order one. You know how quickly that Third Man stuff goes...

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

jimmyjack wrote:Been checking this forum twice a day for this exact news. Can't wait! Hope this doesn't sell out before I can order one. You know how quickly that Third Man stuff goes...

I think the regular vinyl is in unlimited pressing. If they sell out they'll press more. Only the black & blue vinyl is limited.

Anodyne

Post by Anodyne »

Went by Third Man and picked up my copy today. Haven't had a chance to listen yet, but it sure is purty...

Virgil Caine

Post by Virgil Caine »

Put my Black & Blue on the turntable today. Sounds great, definitely a "raw" live sound. Well worth the wait.

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

Wow that is super cool and I am blue/black with envy. Just curious and this is probably a stupid question but how exactly do they do this? I expected it to be exactly 1/2 black and 1/2 blue and now that I see the picture I wonder if anyone knows exactly how they go about producing a vinyl disc that is 2 colors?
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

What's the full tracklist? I only see side 2!

Anodyne

Post by Anodyne »

jimmyjack wrote:What's the full tracklist? I only see side 2!

Side One: Used To Be A Cop, Get Downtown, Go-Go Boots, Dancin' Ricky, Pulaski

Side Two: Take Time To Know Her, Everybody Needs Love, Love Like This, Mercy Buckets

And as is tradition with Third Man LPs, there are messages written in the vinyl in the run-out grooves. Side One says "The cops showed up" and Side Two has "And so did Pops Hood".

Emily

Post by Emily »

colodogdoc wrote:Wow that is super cool and I am blue/black with envy. Just curious and this is probably a stupid question but how exactly do they do this? I expected it to be exactly 1/2 black and 1/2 blue and now that I see the picture I wonder if anyone knows exactly how they go about producing a vinyl disc that is 2 colors?

This interview with Ben Blackwell from TMR explains the whole process in gory detail:

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/your-turntable-is-not-dead-inside-jack-whites-vinyl-record-empire/
she was all provocative and everything
until she saw what I was capable of