Dinner tonight

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

rockreid

Dinner tonight

Post by rockreid »

Went to dinner tonight w/ my wife and her family at the Texas Steakhouse in Lynchburg, Va. (less than 1 mile from Liberty University).

Had to pee before we left and heard 'drag the lake charlie' as their house music while in the bathroom. Kind of took me by surprise until the guy relieving himself at the urinal beside me said"
"Damn, who's this? Don't sound like country to me".
I proudly said:
"Drive By Truckers. Sometimes it's just DBT".
"Who"?
"Drive By Truckers".
"Never heard of them, but they sound like a good fucking band".
"You're right, they are. Best in rock today".
"I'm going to Best Buy after dinner tonight, do they sell their albums"?
"Yes, yes they do. Pick any or all of 'em they have. You won't be disappointed."
"I might just take you up on that".
"I hope you do. And welcome aboard".
"What?"
"Trust me, it may not make sense now, but it will. Soon".
"Ok. Don't let me down".
"Down"? You're on the verge of getting up, trust me".
"Sounds good, have a good one".
"You too, but I already know you will".

I found DBT on their digital jukebox on the way out and put a $20 in it and played 'The Big To Do' til I was out of credits.

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Re: Dinner tonight

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

weeny wrote:
I found DBT on their digital jukebox on the way out and put a $20 in it and played 'The Big To Do' til I was out of credits.

Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

Clams

Post by Clams »

That's a lot of conversation for the urinal.
If you don't run you rust

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

So now we know why men outnumber women so heavily at the shows.

Good work, weeny!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

If people are exposed to DBT they will like them as much as we do. Sometimes it takes a while for the general public to catch up. The Ramones couldn't get played on the radio in their day but today Ramones songs are played at every major sporting event in the country.

One of these days someone from NASCAR is going to discover "Daddy's Cup" and the song will open up every Sunday afternoon broadcast.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Testify!
Not forever, just for now.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Clams wrote:That's a lot of conversation for the urinal.

:lol: my thoughts exactly. does best buy sell tasers? that's what I'd be looking for if a dude cryptically welcomed me aboard in the men's room. cool story, though.

edit. esp a dude named weeny.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

acoxofrd

Post by acoxofrd »

Duke Silver wrote:
Clams wrote:That's a lot of conversation for the urinal.

:lol: my thoughts exactly. does best buy sell tasers? that's what I'd be looking for if a dude cryptically welcomed me aboard in the men's room. cool story, though.

edit. esp a dude named weeny.

Now that's funny

Lake Man

Post by Lake Man »

Similar story...was at a BBQ joint called Redbones in Somerville, MA this week and amongst all the AC/DC and Aerosmith songs being played over the sound system, on comes "Ronnie and Neil". My friends that were there with me said I stoped talking as soon as the first chord was struck. They thought I saw a ghost, until I said this is DBT (my friends know I'm a fanaic about The Truckers). Anyway, great to hear them being played in public all the way up here in Massachusetts. Awesome!!
A funny thing happened on my way to a strange way of thinking...

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Lake Man wrote:Similar story...was at a BBQ joint called Redbones in Somerville, MA this week and amongst all the AC/DC and Aerosmith songs being played over the sound system, on comes "Ronnie and Neil". My friends that were there with me said I stoped talking as soon as the first chord was struck. They thought I saw a ghost, until I said this is DBT (my friends know I'm a fanaic about The Truckers). Anyway, great to hear them being played in public all the way up here in Massachusetts. Awesome!!

Fantastic! We used to live in Somerville, RedBones is great, we miss it. So thrilled to hear DBT is being played there.

Weeny, great story, so glad to hear of another new fan.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

RevMatt wrote:
One of these days someone from NASCAR is going to discover "Daddy's Cup" and the song will open up every Sunday afternoon broadcast.

No they won't, NASCAR would not use "Daddy's Cup" as the opener, because they always have a live performer that does a 20-30 minute concert, usually on the outer bank of the track. So unless the Truckers are playing that, ain't gonna happen, and that makes me sad as I might be going to the Indy 500, hmmmm and whilst I know Taladega or Winston-Salem would be more Trucker-like. The Indy 500 would be totally cool to see them at!!!
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

The Black Canary wrote:
RevMatt wrote:

No they won't, NASCAR would not use "Daddy's Cup" as the opener, because they always have a live performer that does a 20-30 minute concert, usually on the outer bank of the track. So unless the Truckers are playing that, ain't gonna happen, and that makes me sad as I might be going to the Indy 500, hmmmm and whilst I know Taladega or Winston-Salem would be more Trucker-like. The Indy 500 would be totally cool to see them at!!!

I think he was talking about the opening montage on the TV broadcast
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

Smitty wrote:
The Black Canary wrote:
RevMatt wrote:

I think he was talking about the opening montage on the TV broadcast

That, like "are we ready for some football" is paid for the use of the song. They wouldn't do that with DBT unfortunately, besides they love to talk on NASCAR, they are not going to have DBT playing over DW!!!! have you gone insane man!!!!
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

beantownbubba wrote:So now we know why men outnumber women so heavily at the shows.

Good work, weeny!

It's all about the quality, not the quantity.
Keep calm and have a cigar

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

I heard Daddy's Cup on a NASCAR broadcast right around the time The Dirty South came out. They used it as the outro music as they were going to commercial during the race. Monday Night Football also used Never Gonna Change in the same manner around that same time period.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

rlipps wrote:I heard Daddy's Cup on a NASCAR broadcast right around the time The Dirty South came out. They used it as the outro music as they were going to commercial during the race. Monday Night Football also used Never Gonna Change in the same manner around that same time period.

"Hey Ya" by Booker T & DBTs was played during a few NBA games, and ESPN.com writers have had more praise for DBT/Isbell than just about anyone
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Even I know the Indy 500's not NASCAR!

Wasn't talking about the quality, sacto, was talking about the 1 by 1 recruiting at the urinal :lol:
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard