"Used To Be A Cop" In Heavy Rotation on WBJB!

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

RevMatt

"Used To Be A Cop" In Heavy Rotation on WBJB!

Post by RevMatt »

WBJB, 90.5 The Night started playing "Used To Be a Cop" about a week ago. While it is a college station, it has a professional on air staff and is the go to radio station for cool, alternative music in the northern NJ Shore region. The station began playing DBT for the first time in 2010. "Santa Fe" and "Working This Job" were pretty popular. But "Used To Be a Cop" seems to be getting played even more. This is not your typical college radio station. It has a very strong signal. They promote concerts throughout the Monmouth County area. And, rumour has it, The Boss himself answers phones during the pledge drives.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

colodogdoc

Re: "Used To Be A Cop" In Heavy Rotation on WBJB!

Post by colodogdoc »

Very cool. Have heard it on Spectrum on Sirius and on World Cafe as well.
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

It got a 4 star(I think) writeup in Rolling Stone as well
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Indian Rider Oz

Post by Indian Rider Oz »

That's A good station around here it's out of Brookdale College, when they released their 2010 top 90 records of the year the record at # 18 is "THE BIG TO DO" so the know their shit !!!
Oz

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Smitty wrote:It got a 4 star(I think) writeup in Rolling Stone as well

The album or the song?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

beantownbubba wrote:
Smitty wrote:It got a 4 star(I think) writeup in Rolling Stone as well

The album or the song?

the song.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

The song is damned catchy and grows on you. Here's hoping other stations catch on.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Great groove on this number.
Shonna shines on this gem. She drives this song live y'all....

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

I am really digging this song. I have been driving to an off site client for the last three weeks and the commute is an hour one way, where usually it is 10 minutes. GGB has been in heavy rotation, and this song in particular. Can't wait to hear it live.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Drive-By Truckers"Used to Be a Cop"
Rolling Stone: Four Stars
Over seven minutes of tensely coiled Southern rock, Patterson Hood plays an ex-cop whose "temper and the shakes" cost him his badge, his family and his mind. Maybe he'll shoot up a Cracker Barrel. Either way, his too-human desolation is why Hood thinks he deserves a song this powerful

I know a lot of ya'll are less than Rolling Stone fans, and so is Cooley (the quote about him keeping an issue in his bathroom in case he runs outta tp) but I think a nice write-up in RS would do DBT good; preferably by Mark Kemp.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:
Over seven minutes of tensely coiled Southern rock, Patterson Hood plays an ex-cop whose "temper and the shakes" cost him his badge, his family and his mind. Maybe he'll shoot up a Cracker Barrel. Either way, his too-human desolation is why Hood thinks he deserves a song this powerful

I know a lot of ya'll are less than Rolling Stone fans, and so is Cooley (the quote about him keeping an issue in his bathroom in case he runs outta tp) but I think a nice write-up in RS would do DBT good; preferably by Mark Kemp.

Never hurts. Nice review of Used To Be a Cop. As I posted before I didn't much care for this song at first but it's become one of my favorites on GGB. It's such a well told story and the music kicks ass. that constant droning note is unsettling and adds to the sense of foreboding and the tale of a man falling apart. I absolutely love this song and think that the more it's heard the more others will as well.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

They played it last year at the Homecoming only it was a much slower version.
Marina has it on youtube. I liked it the first time I heard it and the new version
is my favorite off the new album........so far :D
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Smitty wrote:

Never hurts. Nice review of Used To Be a Cop. As I posted before I didn't much care for this song at first but it's become one of my favorites on GGB. It's such a well told story and the music kicks ass. that constant droning note is unsettling and adds to the sense of foreboding and the tale of a man falling apart. I absolutely love this song and think that the more it's heard the more others will as well.

I came down a little harsh on this song too at first, but Smitty talked me down some - (thanks bud!) Anyway - really digging it at this point. Love it digital, absolutely cannot wait to get my vinyl!
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)