Go Go Boots on iTunes

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

BoomerIII

Go Go Boots on iTunes

Post by BoomerIII »

Just saw that Go Go Boots is available on iTunes for pre-order. It has 2 bonus tracks (I hear you hummin' and When I Ran Off And Left Her) and 2 videos, one of Pulaski (acoustic) and one of Everybody Needs Love (acoustic). Can't wait to hear them cover Vic Chesnutt, I know Patterson played this song at the Vic Tribute Show, but it should be pretty interesting to hear the band play the song with him.

Smitty

Re: Go Go Boots on iTunes

Post by Smitty »

hell yes! I've been wishing for a studio of that for a while.. now if only we could get a studio of "Standing (sitting?)In The Sunshine"
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

A studio "Keep on Smilin'" would be awesome, too, if we're keeping in the cover-as-a-bonus-track theme.

jh13

Post by jh13 »

Damn it, now I'm torn. Do I pre-order it off iTunes or drivebytruckers.com? I'm trying to seriously cut down on my physical stuff, so I'm buying most of my music digitally and I had planned on pre-ordering of DBT.com, but I really want the bonus tracks. I wonder if DBT see any difference in profit/exposure if I buy it from them or iTunes? I'm guessing ordering it off their site is better for them...

mike28212

Post by mike28212 »

jh13 wrote:Damn it, now I'm torn. Do I pre-order it off iTunes or drivebytruckers.com? I'm trying to seriously cut down on my physical stuff, so I'm buying most of my music digitally and I had planned on pre-ordering of DBT.com, but I really want the bonus tracks. I wonder if DBT see any difference in profit/exposure if I buy it from them or iTunes? I'm guessing ordering it off their site is better for them...

I'm trying to decide on this as well. Like you, I'm trying to cut down on the physical media. But I do like my vinyl and would prefer GGB in that format. I'll probably end up pre-ordering through DBT's website. I just enjoy having something tangible I can look at and hold when it comes to my favorite bands' albums.
"I'm zipping through the days at lightning speed."

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

Buy everything. :D
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Definitely going the iTunes route. The leak has been nice, but I always want to throw some bucks at DBT when I can
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Very noble of you Zip. I'm sure the band appreciates it.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

cortez the killer wrote:Very noble of you Zip. I'm sure the band appreciates it.

Your approval means the world to me

sfbamaAAW

Post by sfbamaAAW »

Here's a blurb and link for the iTunes TripleD:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/go- ... d413479082

In addition to the regular iTunes download (available on Feb 15) we will be offering the chance to pre-order a deluxe version of the album on iTunes which features two tracks not on the original version of the album "When I Ran Off I Left Her", a Vic Chestnut cover & "I Hear You Hummin" available only on the vinyl version of Go-Go Boots. The deluxe will also feature 2 live acoustic videos, one of Patterson performing "Everybody Needs Love" solo and another of Cooley performing "Pulaski" solo.

J.

cre618

Post by cre618 »

Maluca3 wrote:Buy everything. :D

Done. Enjoying the leak immensly....so I bought both the iTunes and the Vinyl. Now, if they would just add an LA show!

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

OK, now I'm confused. So if we pre-ordered the deluxe version, we get sent a download link for the album minus these two exclusive songs? I don't mind spending two bucks and getting 'em separately on iTunes, but will they even be available separately?

Joshua

Post by Joshua »

Highly doubt if the "exclusive" tracks will be offered separately on iTunes. They did the same thing on TBTD with "Strutter". I ordered the vinyl deluxe and the iTunes deluxe just to cover all my bases.
So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

SouthernFriedCanuck

Post by SouthernFriedCanuck »

Hmmmmmm...............I'm not a fan of all this "bonus track" stuff with each different type of music format. I thought the idea was to sell discs, but the disc has no bonus. I like to physically have my music, and having to buy the whole album again on itunes just to get the bonus is a drag. I would prefer all songs be available to everybody in every format.

Just my opinion.
"It's fucking great to be alive!"

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

SouthernFriedCanuck wrote:Hmmmmmm...............I'm not a fan of all this "bonus track" stuff with each different type of music format. I thought the idea was to sell discs, but the disc has no bonus. I like to physically have my music, and having to buy the whole album again on itunes just to get the bonus is a drag. I would prefer all songs be available to everybody in every format.

Just my opinion.

Mine too. I can sort of understand it w/ the vinyl. That's a statement of support for the format by the band and I kind of like that, even tho it's a pain in the ass for me personally. But bonus tracks on itunes? WTF is that?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:
SouthernFriedCanuck wrote:Hmmmmmm...............I'm not a fan of all this "bonus track" stuff with each different type of music format. I thought the idea was to sell discs, but the disc has no bonus. I like to physically have my music, and having to buy the whole album again on itunes just to get the bonus is a drag. I would prefer all songs be available to everybody in every format.

Just my opinion.

Mine too. I can sort of understand it w/ the vinyl. That's a statement of support for the format by the band and I kind of like that, even tho it's a pain in the ass for me personally. But bonus tracks on itunes? WTF is that?

The cost of putting music on iTunes vs. manufacturing CDs is enough for any band to want to incentivize the digital format

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

Just my opinion.

The cost of putting music on iTunes vs. manufacturing CDs is enough for any band to want to incentivize the digital format

Agreed. for a band like DBT, CD's (a dying format) are the last things they want to sell.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Actually, I'd bet that's wrong. Once you make one cd, u want to make a whole mess of them to drive the unit cost down and spread the fixed cost (of things like cover art, liner notes, etc). You'd be right if they simply went digital because of its lower cost, but as long as they keep making cd's there's a lot of incentive to make a lot of them.

Plus it totally undercuts their support for vinyl: Why give extra support to itunes, record stores' biggest legit nemesis, at the same time you're supporting vinyl? Record stores sell cd's too. And if you care about your sound enough to lovingly make 180 g vinyl records, mp3 makes a mockery of whatever it is u're trying to accomplish sonically. CD's are far from perfect but they're better than mp3's.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Fuck a bunch of iTunes. Now that I've come around somewhat to mp3's I'll download an album that's out of print but I flat out refuse to buy anything that's digital only. I'm no audiophile but the more they make mp3 only albums Amazon "exclusives" and whatnot, that's only going to pave the way for mp3's becoming the only way we can get music and I'll have no part of it. Also, I thought the whole vinyl thing was a way to encourage people to actually patronize record stores and to cut down on illegal downloading. I only want to buy this album once, putting it out in so many different configurations just so the completists will have to buy them all doesn't sound like the Truckers I've come to know and love over the years. This coming from probably the only person here who hasn't even heard the leaked version of the record.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I've got no idea how much money they make from what, so I won't speak on that - I'll buy the vinyl but I just can't afford to do the rest.
The only problem I really see is offering the vinyl only track on iTunes - that kills the encentive to buy the vinyl for the bonus track in my eyes.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

I'm still confused - the ONLY way to get the Vic cover is to RE-BUY the WHOLE ALBUM on iTunes??

That can't be right. If it is, I'll be heading over to Soulseek to get the exclusives for 'free.' I feel no guilt in doing this, having spent over $100 after shipping for the deluxe package + DVD pre order deal.

I do have to defend 'bonus tracks' as a concept, though. In the old days, these tracks would leak out on expensive import singles, compilation CDs, and the dreaded 'maxi single.' It may be less fun nowadays, tracking down the 'b sides,' but as any fan of REM knows, sometimes the b-sides are worth tracking down.

mike28212

Post by mike28212 »

After thinking about this all day, I'm going to stick with my original plan and pre-order the vinyl. That's the format I want anyway. If my brother gives me my usual birthday gift in the form of an itunes gift card, I will order the deluxe version of that as well. At least that is the current plan of action.
"I'm zipping through the days at lightning speed."

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

jimmyjack wrote:It may be less fun nowadays, tracking down the 'b sides,' but as any fan of REM knows, sometimes the b-sides are worth tracking down.

Beginning with their last record, there weren't really any b-sides to track down aside from "Airliner" and "Redhead Walking" (Beat Happening cover) which were only available on the "Supernatural Superserious" single and the deluxe edition of Accelerate. I'm pretty sure every "single" after that was digital only. They came out with some "b-sides" that were mainly live cuts, aside from one more Beat Happening cover but I had no desire to even track them down and that's coming from someone that's a pretty diehard R.E.M. fan. For this new record, it remains to be seen if any actual physical singles are even going to be released. So far, the only exclusive material to be announced are some in-studio cuts that are only going to be available through pre-orders of the deluxe edition of Collapse Into Now via iTunes. As you mentioned, that just sucks all the fun out of tracking down the singles. Plus, I don't even want the mp3 versions of those songs. I want an actual CD (or even vinyl) that I can hold in my hands.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I don't even want the mp3 versions of those songs. I want an actual CD (or even vinyl) that I can hold in my hands.

I'm with you 100%. But I think we're the minority, my friend. You can't really blame a 17 year old kid for not understanding why we collect records - why we pore over liner notes, roll joints on gatefold sleeves (not ME, of course, but, you know, some people! :D ), and generally nerd out over cover art and lyric sheets. The idea of a tangible object is something a seventeen year old has never really had to think about. Ever since he or she has been buying music, it's been for his or her iPod. So of COURSE the idea of, say, a booklet seems archaic and unnecessary to the new breed. They've never associated music with artwork / packaging / etc.

I just fear we're gonna all end up like those weirdos at the comic book and baseball card conventions, hopeless cenophobes smelling of mylar and mold. :lol:

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

My kids laugh at me for being a vinyl nut. And if they look carefully in the middle of the gatefold sleeves of certain albums like Zen Arcade they will find evidence that Dad wasn't just smoking Camel Lights in the eighties.

My guess is that the Vic Chesnut cover will be available to us as a single download. Maybe not initially, but within a couple months after the release. Putting it on the iTunes download probably helps maximize sales in a growing format.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Clams

Post by Clams »

As long as you aren't a douchebag about it, you'll probably be able to obtain most of the bonus tracks from people right here on this board.
If you don't run you rust

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:As long as you aren't a douchebag about it, you'll probably be able to obtain most of the bonus tracks from people right here on this board.

But what about the rest of us?

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

jimmyjack wrote:

I just fear we're gonna all end up like those weirdos at the comic book and baseball card conventions, hopeless cenophobes smelling of mylar and mold. :lol:

Pretty sure most of us have already reached that point.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Sterling Big Mouth

Post by Sterling Big Mouth »

While discussing iTunes, I was wondering if anyone knew why PD and Gangstabilly aren't listed. Went to pre-order Go Go Boots and was scratching my head as to their absence.
Three guitars or a life of crime

BoomerIII

Post by BoomerIII »

Sterling Big Mouth wrote:While discussing iTunes, I was wondering if anyone knew why PD and Gangstabilly aren't listed. Went to pre-order Go Go Boots and was scratching my head as to their absence.

They definitely used to be on iTunes. Don't know why they aren't on iTunes now.

As to everything else, I am 21 so didn't grow up with vinyls. I listen to my iPod throughout the day. It allows me to listen to music at my convenience, but I do own a record player and many vinyls and I love listening to music on my record player. I have already pre-ordered the iTunes version and will eventually end up getting Go Go Boots on vinyl a month or two after the record comes out. Just gotta get some more money.