DBT track # 35 - Something's Got to Give Pretty Soon

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

schlanky

Re: DBT track # 35 - Something's Got to Give Pretty Soon

Post by schlanky »

Bumping because DBT just pulled this one out at Homecoming and it's been one of my favorites since the first time I heard it. Up until Friday, I'd been wondering if I'd ever see this one live.

Looking at beantown's reply from a mere four years ago, I've always had a different take on the last two lines of the first verse.

Living hard to chase the dream, way beyond our ways and means
Yours don't mean a goddamn thing.
That's what you said, but, don't believe it.

The way I hear it, she wasn't telling him that his dreams don't matter; she was accusing him of thinking that her dreams don't matter. And that would be par for the course for a heated argument---emotions are high and she accuses him of not caring about things that are important to her. She's throwing it back at the speaker that he's "living hard to chase the dream" and it has them stretched out financially and her dreams don't matter.

In the next line, if the missing pronoun is "I," he's saying, "yeah, you're saying that, but that's not what I think." If the missing pronoun is "you," he's saying "you're just saying I don't care about your dreams because you're pissed off." The missing pronoun doesn't matter because he's saying both----"it's not true that I don't care about your dreams" and "you're only saying that because you're mad."

That's my take, anyway. Heart wrenching song.
Last edited by schlanky on Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let the outside air in

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

It was great to get to see this one. I've always liked it and like you said I never thought I would see it performed.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

schlanky wrote:Looking at beantown's reply from a mere four years ago

The internet is forever.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Cole Younger wrote:It was great to get to see this one. I've always liked it and like you said I never thought I would see it performed.

Come to think of it, 2x

Southern Efficiency

Post by Southern Efficiency »

schlanky wrote:Bumping because DBT just pulled this one out at Homecoming and it's been one of my favorites since the first time I heard it. Up until Friday, I'd been wondering if I'd ever see this one live.

Looking at beantown's reply from a mere four years ago, I've always had a different take on the last two lines of the first verse.

Living hard to chase the dream, way beyond our ways and means
Yours don't mean a goddamn thing.
That's what you said, but, don't believe it.

The way I hear it, she wasn't telling him that his dreams don't matter; she was accusing him of thinking that her dreams don't matter. And that would be par for the course for a heated argument---emotions are high and she accuses him of not caring about things that are important to her. She's throwing it back at the speaker that he's "living hard to chase the dream" and it has them stretched out financially and her dreams don't matter.

In the next line, if the missing pronoun is "I," he's saying, "yeah, you're saying that, but that's not what I think." If the missing pronoun is "you," he's saying "you're just saying I don't care about your dreams because you're pissed off." The missing pronoun doesn't matter because he's saying both----"it's not true that I don't care about your dreams" and "you're only saying that because you're mad."

That's my take, anyway. Heart wrenching song.

Since we're talking pronouns ... I've always assumed that both of the "you"s refer to the woman more directly and that he is saying that she said (or implied) that her own dreams don't matter that much -- a common tactic to defuse an argument, like "Naw, it's not a big deal" -- but he doesn't believe that to be the case. It seems to fit with the sense of guilt that runs through the song and "Your Daddy Hates Me."

disgruntledgoat

Post by disgruntledgoat »

I'm living this song today. DD is going on full blast for my drive home before I take what's coming to me.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

One of my all-time faves. Surprised I didn't comment back in the day. I think most of us can relate to pieces of this pretty often.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

disgruntledgoat wrote:I'm living this song today. DD is going on full blast for my drive home before I take what's coming to me.
Been there, done that. I hear you, brother:

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

disgruntledgoat

Post by disgruntledgoat »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
disgruntledgoat wrote:I'm living this song today. DD is going on full blast for my drive home before I take what's coming to me.
Been there, done that. I hear you, brother:

I got that shit in spades. She'd made a list of my myriad failings as a man.

Suffice to say I am drunk as all hell now

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Patterson, back in '03, wrote:
I wrote "(Something's Got To) Give Pretty Soon" in early 2002, a couple of months before we recorded it. Musically it is one of the more blatant pop songs that I have written. I have been writing songs for a future solo project for some time, a power-pop record inspired by my hard-core love of Big Star and Todd Rundgren records, as well as the great 70's one-hit wonders. I initially thought of this song for that album. Lyrically, however, the song fit perfectly into the the song cycle of this album. Square in the middle between Cooley's "Sounds Better in the Song" where the lovers are holding on for dear life to the wreckage of their relationship and my song "Your Daddy Hates Me" which deals with the aftermath of divorce. The briefness of the song and it's power-pop sound make for an interesting transition. It became one of my favorite moments of the record.
I do miss the time when you could hear this style of music on the radio. Where are The Raspberry's when you need em?
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Smitty wrote:Where are The Raspberry's when you need em?
Damn good question.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

beantownbubba wrote:
Damn good question.
cortez supplied a few raspberries in the spotify playlist thread.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

dime in the gutter wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Damn good question.
cortez supplied a few raspberries in the spotify playlist thread.
Fuckin' love The Raspberries. Power pop bliss.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Underrated song.
Always loved it.
Hit me hard when I was dumped by girl I thought at the time was "the one."
Don't think I've ever seen it. Maybe once? Would be welcome at any upcoming show.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Listening to this this morning really made me miss the old days of following the band.
I don't know why I feel so sad.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Swamp wrote:Listening to this this morning really made me miss the old days of following the band.
I don't know why I feel so sad.
Makes sense to me. Simpler times.

I thought Ever South was kind of down this path a bit. Especially the second half....