Which one is Keith?

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

rockreid

Which one is Keith?

Post by rockreid »

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but who is who ? Not that it really fucking matters, but my vote is for Patterson.

Sure, neither would be where they are or have accomplished what they have w/out each other, but to me Patterson seems a little more "keith" to me.

The reason I say that is that if DBT had not done as well as they have done is that Patterson (like Keith) would still be playing somewhere, in some shithole bar, somewhere. Parts unknown. Music is all he has.

Cooley, (a lot like Mick) has the gift of gab. He'd be just as good as a car dealer, carpet shop owner, or guitar player or a teacher. Or whatever. Sky would be the limit.

No disrespect intended towards either. I love 'em both and am glad they're together.

The two of them are the backbone of my favorite band.

Smitty

Re: Which one is Keith?

Post by Smitty »

This really doesn't make much sense (at all) to me... but...

if you've ever seen them live, then I think there's no doubt Cooley is Keith - the epitome of cool
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

keith is a fuckin' junkie, lousy singer and shitty guitar player. what an insult to patterson and cooley 8-)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:keith is a fuckin' junkie, lousy singer and shitty guitar player. what an insult to patterson and cooley 8-)

:shock:
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Cooley has that same sort of rock-n-roll face that Keith has.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I don't know about this whole Keith thing, but I'm pretty sure that Neff is Mick Taylor.
Keep calm and have a cigar

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:keith is a fuckin' junkie, lousy singer and shitty guitar player. what an insult to patterson and cooley 8-)

I don't even know where to start really. I'll just say this. I want some of the drugs your on because they are obviously very good. ;)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

sactochris wrote:I don't know about this whole Keith thing, but I'm pretty sure that Neff is Mick Taylor.

I can see it, but just the guitar skills. Not the asshattery or stupidity.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
sactochris wrote:I don't know about this whole Keith thing, but I'm pretty sure that Neff is Mick Taylor.

I can see it, but just the guitar skills. Not the asshattery or stupidity.

I just didn't see him as being either Jones or Wood.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

:shock:

I disagree about the musical skills involved--most days I like Keith's songs better than Mick's--and I don't care what drugs Keith does or doesn't take. What would have been an insult would have been to compare them to Keith (or Mick) as people. All the accounts I read of the Glimmer Twins makes them sound like people you might like to party with but might not want to think of as friends you could depend on. I've not heard anyone say the Dimmer Twins are anything but decent people.

Or have we all missed the meaning of the '8-)' that ends that post? Could someone be yanking our chains?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Patterson is definitely not Keith. He's definitely the more calculated of the Dimmer Twins, a la Mick. Patterson is like Lester Bangs in Almost Famous. "Guys like you and me, we're not cool". Patterson is not cool in the same way that Cooley is. However, Patterson has the incredible attention to detail and his ability to place words in a song is like a sniper carefully picking off his targets. It's effective and powerful. Patterson might not exude cool, but god damn it he knows how to write a fucking song. Kinda like Mick.

Cooley rolls out of bed hungover and shits musical genius. It's a sloppy mess, but a brilliant one. Kinda like Keith.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

By the way, which one's Pink?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

I have never considered anything other than Cooley = Keith, based on his bad-ass guitar skills and ability to dangle a cigarette that is 50% ash from his lips while ripping a solo (which if you have never seen you likely never will now that he has quit smoking, alas). But I consider Cooley to be head and shoulders above Keith as a songwriter (especially when you compare the songs that each of them sings, not the ones Keith has co-written with Mick) and singer. They've both got the disheveled, you're-lucky-I'm-here-and-not-still-in-bed look down pat. I'm not sure that Patterson exactly equals Mick, but I see the comparison, as to me he seems to be the keeper of the band's business and artistic vision. And put EZB in a suit and a turtleneck and he becomes a dead ringer for Charlie Watts. :lol:
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

In fifteen years people are going to be asking the question about some new band, "Which one's Patterson and which one's Cooley?"

Anyhow, as far as famous musical partnerships go, here's how I see it.

Mick and Keef: Patterson is more Mick in the sense that Mick is the CEO of The Rolling Stones. Since firing Allan Klein in the seventies he has made the bulk of their business decisions, decisions which, in retrospect, have been very good for the band. Patterson Hood seems to have an excellent handle on the business end of things. Cooley is more Keith in the sense that he is a no frills, balls to the walls, rock and roll guitarist. But, as Cooley says, "Just because I don't run my mouth doesn't mean I've got nothing to say."

Waylon and Willie: Patterson is Willie. Cooley is Waylon, who was the epitome of outlaw cool.

John and Paul: This is a tough one. I would say Patterson is Lennon in the sense that he writes more politically themed songs than Cooley. But I really don't see a parallel here.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

I call bullshit.
Cooley is motherfuckin Cooley
Does he seem like he even wants to be anyone else?
NSFW

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

littlemamma wrote:I call bullshit.

Sorry, LM, gotta disagree w/ you there. It's not that Cooley wants to be anyone but himself, but his entire stage presence/persona is directly derived from one Keith Richards. Doesn't make him any less Cooley, imo.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

hahaha goddamn right! :mrgreen:

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

beantownbubba wrote:

Sorry, LM, gotta disagree w/ you there. It's not that Cooley wants to be anyone but himself, but his entire stage presence/persona is directly derived from one Keith Richards. Doesn't make him any less Cooley, imo.

BULLSHIT X2
Always go to the show

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

beantownbubba wrote:

I knew you would, it's ok.
NSFW

Clams

Post by Clams »

On stage, Cooley is Keith. Off stage though, whereas Keith is fucking nuts, Cooley seems like a pretty regular guy. I think Rev nailed the Patterson/Mick comparison. Both are the little engines that make their bands go.

That Cash, Keith, Levon beating off quote/pic rears its ugly head about once each year. It's disturbing. I wonder who the nutjob is who came up with it.
If you don't run you rust

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

One thing folks have to realize is that the guys who become rock musicians tended to be geeky outcasts in high school who could not fit in with any of the established cliques. I didn't have the grades to hang out with the brainy kids, the jocks only wanted to kick my ass and the stoners couldn't tolerate me for long periods of time because hanging out with was like being in an English class at a high school for demented children where the teacher assigned Naked Lunch. I played in bands so I could get into the parties I'd have never been invited to. Still didn't get me a girlfriend in high school. And once punk rock hit me and the guys I hung out with started wearing girly looking shirts underneath our black motorcycle jackets which convinced half the school we were gay. I couldn't attract a high school girl until I was 21 and playing in an indie band, but I tended to stay away from the young girls because the cops were already convinced that my guitarist and I were dealing drugs out of our apartment and I didn't want to get charged with corrupting a minor.

Point? When we start saying that our favorite musicians are the epitome of cool we need to remember that the only reason why they can play their guitars without looking at their hands, strutting around the stage with a cigarette in their mouth while eyeballing the girls in the front row is because they had nothing better to do in high school than spend hours at a time mastering their instruments. No one thought they were cool until after the fact.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jonicont wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

BULLSHIT X2

Ah, I see. So Cooley sprang fully formed straight from his mother's womb. He grabbed the toy guitar in his crib, immediately ripped thru johnny b goode and never looked back. Never took a guitar lesson, never tried to copy a riff he heard on a record, never tried to walk like the hero he thought he had to be. I don't see how it's possible to see both Keef and Cooley on stage and not see the influence, nor do i understand why that observation seems to be taken as an insult by some folks. Everybody comes from somewhere. Doesn't detract from Cooley's greatness or uniqueness.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Every guy with a telecaster playing music derived from 12 bar blues wants to be keith Richards.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:
Jonicont wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

BULLSHIT X2

Ah, I see. So Cooley sprang fully formed straight from his mother's womb. He grabbed the toy guitar in his crib, immediately ripped thru johnny b goode and never looked back. Never took a guitar lesson, never tried to copy a riff he heard on a record, never tried to walk like the hero he thought he had to be. I don't see how it's possible to see both Keef and Cooley on stage and not see the influence, nor do i understand why that observation seems to be taken as an insult by some folks. Everybody comes from somewhere. Doesn't detract from Cooley's greatness or uniqueness.

Exactly.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:On stage, Cooley is Keith. Off stage though, whereas Keith is fucking nuts, Cooley seems like a pretty regular guy. I think Rev nailed the Patterson/Mick comparison. Both are the little engines that make their bands go.

That Cash, Keith, Levon beating off quote/pic rears its ugly head about once each year. It's disturbing. I wonder who the nutjob is who came up with it.

I thought it was pretty hilarious.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Smitty wrote:This really doesn't make much sense (at all) to me... but...

if you've ever seen them live, then I think there's no doubt Cooley is Keith - the epitome of cool

agreed, though I think the comparison does no favours to either artist. (or the logical Jagger/PH comparison which follows.) and Shonna/Bill Wyman? Shonna for the win.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Will this thread be locked/deleted because the over protective-ness of the band is kicking in again? Hell, they've even made up shirts they sell at their shows that very clearly read "Dimmer Twins" which is quite obviously a reference to the Glimmer Twins. Why on earth would they do that when they know it invites comparisons to Mick and Keith? I don't think anyone is saying Cooley isn't original, only that he reminds fans of everyone from Cash to Richards. I really don't see the harm in that.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Will this thread be locked/deleted because the over protective-ness of the band is kicking in again? Hell, they've even made up shirts they sell at their shows that very clearly read "Dimmer Twins" which is quite obviously a reference to the Glimmer Twins. Why on earth would they do that when they know it invites comparisons to Mick and Keith? I don't think anyone is saying Cooley isn't original, only that he reminds fans of everyone from Cash to Richards. I really don't see the harm in that.

Calm down. Nobody is deleting anything.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

some shows, mostly during encores of people who died/lookout mtn/buttholeville/state trooper - Patterson reminds me of *gasp* Jim Morrison...
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.