Check your travel plans for Athens....Weather on its way...

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

GuitarManUpstairs

Check your travel plans for Athens....Weather on its way...

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:
still I think a storm's a brew'in an 'bout to hit Athens...in a good way.

Well I went and opened my big fuck'in mouth didn't I....I really didn't mean it like that God!!!! The forcast in GA is for a relatively massive winter storm to blow in by late Sunday Night/Early Monday and will continue into Tuesday with approximately 5-10" of snow accumulation and possible up to 1/2" of ice...high temps the following two days will only edge above freezing which means I'm probably stuck in the back woods sticks for well past Thursday if the forcast does not change....not to mention what it will do to all of your travel plans, especially those of you planning to come early....Can the forcasters please be completely full of shit at teh right time just this once....please??? :roll:

Not look'in good for me...hope everyone else can make iteven if it turns out I can't. Hey Mods - whats the recourse for ticket refunds if weather does not permit?
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Re: Check your travel plans for Athens....Weather on its way

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:
GuitarManUpstairs wrote:
Well I went and opened my big fuck'in mouth didn't I....I really didn't mean it like that God!!!! The forcast in GA is for a relatively massive winter storm to blow in by late Sunday Night/Early Monday and will continue into Tuesday with approximately 5-10" of snow accumulation and possible up to 1/2" of ice...high temps the following two days will only edge above freezing which means I'm probably stuck in the back woods sticks for well past Thursday if the forcast does not change....not to mention what it will do to all of your travel plans, especially those of you planning to come early....Can the forcasters please be completely full of shit at teh right time just this once....please??? :roll:

Not look'in good for me...hope everyone else can make iteven if it turns out I can't. Hey Mods - whats the recourse for ticket refunds if weather does not permit?

They will just have to clear the fucking roads b/c I am coming - hell or high water, ice, sleet, snow. I don't give rip.
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

hopefully it'll all be over by thursday
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

I don't want to piss anyone off but as an Upper Midwesterner I think all this talk is fucking hilarious. I can't even begin to tell you how totally not worried about this me and my crew are. All of this will likely blow over well before any of us hit town. If it doesn't, we'll be looking for all you 3DDers in the ditches on our way in. Our vehicle has a good tow chain so we got your back. Just tie your DBT tour t-shirts to your antenna and the Wisconsin crew will be along directly to save the day. :D :D :D

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:

And let's have no more of this talk out of you, Guitar Man. I'll come and get you myself if I have to. In fact, we pass literally right by your place on the way in. We'll show ya how to drive on an unplowed two-lane in a blizzard. Up here we don't call that dangerous. We call it FUN.

GuitarManUpstairs

And let's have no more of this talk out of you, Guitar Man. I'll come and get you myself if I have to. In fact, we pass literally right by your place on the way in. We'll show ya how to drive on an unplowed two-lane in a blizzard. Up here we don't call that dangerous. We call it FUN.

I should not have been allowed on the computer during my early evening buzz-kill melt down pity party....thanks for pick'in me up guys (figuratively speaking for now.)....but make sure teh tank on your plow is topped off just in case. :D

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:

I should not have been allowed on the computer during my early evening buzz-kill melt down pity party....thanks for pick'in me up guys (figuratively speaking for now.)....but make sure teh tank on your plow is topped off just in case. :D

Remember we live in the south, which is road crews/fire depts are really not that accustomed to properly treating frozen over roads; add into the equation people who are not accustomed to driving on ice, and i dont give a damn if you're from Alaska, it can be dangerous (other drivers perhaps moreso than the snow)

GuitarManUpstairs

Just gonna have to play it by ear on this one I guess...on Christmas it did snow like 4 inches here and was completely gone in two days but it also wasn't 10 degrees afterward either....we'll just have to see.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:Just gonna have to play it by ear on this one I guess...on Christmas it did snow like 4 inches here and was completely gone in two days but it also wasn't 10 degrees afterward either....we'll just have to see.

Yeah we got about 5-6" on Christmas, and they predicted 1-2" - they're calling for 6-8" Sunday, so we'll see. That's the most accumulation since the blizzard of '94 I believe.

GuitarManUpstairs

Smitty wrote:
GuitarManUpstairs wrote:Just gonna have to play it by ear on this one I guess...on Christmas it did snow like 4 inches here and was completely gone in two days but it also wasn't 10 degrees afterward either....we'll just have to see.

Yeah we got about 5-6" on Christmas, and they predicted 1-2" - they're calling for 6-8" Sunday, so we'll see. That's the most accumulation since the blizzard of '94 I believe.

I'm really hoping they get it wrong in teh other direction this time... :)

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Smitty wrote:
GuitarManUpstairs wrote:

Remember we live in the south, which is road crews/fire depts are really not that accustomed to properly treating frozen over roads; add into the equation people who are not accustomed to driving on ice, and i dont give a damn if you're from Alaska, it can be dangerous (other drivers perhaps moreso than the snow)

Smitty nailed it - no equipment and it's the other guy who will put you in the ditch. It doesn't make sense for the Lawrenceville Public Safety department to keep 30 snowplows in the garage when it happens once every 5 years, so when it DOES happen, you've got Jim Bob out on the tractor with a bag of salt and Ms. Daisy doin' wheelies down the highway.
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

...And airports shut down, so no matter how good a bad weather driver one may be, you gotta get there first. History is pretty clear: If the forecast is accurate and if it doesn't warm up pretty quickly after the snow, this is gonna be a problem.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

Smitty wrote:

Yeah, I lived in Athens at that time. It was pretty funny watching people drive in that. Number one mistake people make is stomping on the brakes when they start to slide. Just about every accident I saw that winter was clearly due to that.

Southern states should consider giving their governments the ability to temporarily suspend the laws against tire chains that most states in the region have. That would almost certainly reduce accidents, single car or otherwise.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

C'mon 5-6 inches isn't that bad. Especially if its going to do that on Sunday-Tuesday.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

lol...I know, right? :lol:

njMark

Post by njMark »

The way I see it, I drove through 2ft of snow 2 weeks ago to get to work, a little bit of snow down here will not keep me from Athens. Driving in snow is really not that hard even if you never have done it before. Poor snow driving knows no geographic location though, we have just as many bad snow drivers in NJ where it snows most every winter as there may be down in the southern states where snow is less common.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Listen, don't get me wrong I'm just bustin' balls a little. Snowstorms in the south are dicey, but the timing is perfect as it will be well over by the time people start traveling Wednesday & Thursday (even ok for those traveling Tuesday). Just drive safe, take your time, don't panic and all will be well.

Also remember all of this will become a dim memory when basking in the glow of the MOTHERFUCKIN' ROCK SHOW!!!!!

beergut

Post by beergut »

Hey drtpants,

Can you pick me up in Milwaukee on the way?
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

GuitarManUpstairs

Just for the record, its not so much the snow as the ice which will cause the biggest problem, especially for me as I am about 5 miles from the "main" road.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:Just for the record, its not so much the snow as the ice which will cause the biggest problem, especially for me as I am about 5 miles from the "main" road.

Exactly -I'm in the same situation.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

but come hail, ice, snow, high water, tornado whatever, I'll be in Athens - just everybody dont underestimate the dangers of the South during winter

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

also if you require milk and/or bread, better bring it with you

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Smitty wrote:also if you require milk and/or bread, better bring it with you

Milk?? During Athens homecoming weekend??? That's not exactly my understanding of the way the weekend goes :lol:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:

Milk?? During Athens homecoming weekend??? That's not exactly my understanding of the way the weekend goes :lol:

Well Grace Slick always liked milk and vodka...

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

beantownbubba wrote:

lol I wouldn't think so, but I usually wouldn't place "running" on a RnR weekend either (not offense to those who are into that, it's cool as shit and all, just not my thing :)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

lol I wouldn't think so, but I usually wouldn't place "running" on a RnR weekend either (not offense to those who are into that, it's cool as shit and all, just not my thing :)

the running thing is awesome for those into it, milk is cool if it floats your boat, but if anyone comes up with the 3DD hopscotch tournament or some such thing I'm putting my foot down dammit! :lol:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

What if the hopscotch players wear asschaps?

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

beantownbubba wrote:What if the hopscotch players wear asschaps?

If asschaps are involved, it's gotta be aTwister Tourney.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light