Check your travel plans for Athens....Weather on its way...

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tyler
Site Admin

Re: Check your travel plans for Athens....Weather on its way

Post by Tyler »

Hoping things are ok by wednesday. Driving down solo from eastern NC (Just under 400 miles).

SeanP

Post by SeanP »

things are not lookin good!!

we got 11 inches of snow right now and still falling!
it so bad the snow plow truck wrecked trying to clean off my road...
so its up n the air...
it takes 3 r 4 days for my road to be driveable if it gets this bad.
wasn't expecting it to be this bad..
only expected bout 5-6 inches.

i would say by wed hopefully...
but it not lookin good!
even the interstates in downtown atl are sheets of ice!

if u are traveling this way morrow dont be stupid drive safe...
i would wait till wed are thur before i tried it!

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Ugh. The other thing I'm considering is going the long way, just following the coast down to about Savannah before cutting inland. Should keep me out of the snow for most of the trip.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

beantownbubba wrote:
BostonREB wrote:
CooleyGirl wrote:The only milk I'll be drinking is in my Toasted Almonds! (Kahlua, Amaretto, and a splash of milk) :lol:

Can one actually get one of those at the 40Watt? Really?

CooleyGirl gets what she wants, when and where she wants it.

:shock: Oh no, I'm so embarrassed, I don't want to come off as a snob, geez! :oops: :oops:
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

BostonREB wrote:Not all that worried about once I make it down south on Wednesday. Its the getting out of the airport in Boston Wednesday night that has me nervous. They are calling for this storm to hit us with 8-12" on Wednesday. Its a late flight so hopefully it will all work out.

Not rain nor sleet nor whatever shall stop the Rock Show!!

Ditto! We're due to leave at 7:15 AM from CT, change planes in Philly, then fly to Atlanta and drive. The forecast is a huge storm Tues night into Wed am for Philly and CT. D'oh!! We may be spending the day at the airport, but we'll get there somehow!

BostonREB

Post by BostonREB »

CooleyGirl wrote:
BostonREB wrote:
CooleyGirl wrote:The only milk I'll be drinking is in my Toasted Almonds! (Kahlua, Amaretto, and a splash of milk) :lol:

Can one actually get one of those at the 40Watt? Really?

:shock: Oh no, I'm so embarrassed, I don't want to come off as a snob, geez! :oops: :oops:

Nothing to be embarrassed about. Nor was it any assertion of snobbery. Puh-lease! More of an assessment of the bars at the 40 Watt than anything else. You can't go by me though, I'll be sucking down PBR 24 ouncers with the occasional shot of Southern for good measure.
Send lawyers, guns and money....

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

My bags are packed and in the car. The coffee pot is ready to brew and I am set to head out for Atlanta at daybreak. Please do whatever you do (prayers, well-wishes, raindances, good thoughts, etc.) for safe travels and clear weather!!!
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

I live here in Ringgold, GA....just up the road from SeanP and I got 8.5 inches of snow in my front yard and the road is ice. I live about three miles or less from the main highway and couldnt make it up the one hill between my house and it. From what other motorists told me who did make it the highway isnt much better than the back roads. Hopefully the road crews will get all this straightened out by at least wednesday night or thursday morning. Either way, I'm going to fight my way to Athens regardless.

Fuck this weather and its damned timing!!!
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

Lurleen McQueen

potatoeater wrote:I live here in Ringgold, GA....just up the road from SeanP and I got 8.5 inches of snow in my front yard and the road is ice. I live about three miles or less from the main highway and couldnt make it up the one hill between my house and it. From what other motorists told me who did make it the highway isnt much better than the back roads. Hopefully the road crews will get all this straightened out by at least wednesday night or thursday morning. Either way, I'm going to fight my way to Athens regardless.

Fuck this weather and its damned timing!!!

My cousin lives in Douglasville. My first goal is to make it to Douglasville safely before dark tomorrow!

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Wed flights were just cancelled. :shock:
Thankfully, they rebooked us for Tues night, now I'm hoping we get from CT to Philly to Atlanta before the storm comes in this direction.

Safe travels, everyone!!!

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Every year I seem to have weather troubles with my flight out of Minneapolis, this year looks fine on this end but shit down there. Not gonna worry about it, I'll get there one way or another.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

njMark

Post by njMark »

Driving out of High Point NC Thursday morning, haven't met a storm that can keep me from where I want to be.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Any of you w/canceled flights (or no snow tires), that can make it to D.C.; I've got room for 2-3 more. I might have to drive slower than normal, but I will make it. Leaving Thursday around 6:00 am.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

FWIW, AirTran is sticking to a "we expect problems Mon to Wed up & down the east coast" forecast and allowing people to change their itineraries if they've got reservations for those days. That probably means a madhouse at the airport on Thursday, but hopefully also means flights will be flying on something that is recognizably close to regular schedule by then. Of course these things can change at any moment and past performance is no guarantee of future results.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

beantownbubba wrote:FWIW, AirTran is sticking to a "we expect problems Mon to Wed up & down the east coast" forecast and allowing people to change their itineraries if they've got reservations for those days. That probably means a madhouse at the airport on Thursday, but hopefully also means flights will be flying on something that is recognizably close to regular schedule by then. Of course these things can change at any moment and past performance is no guarantee of future results.

Eek..i know a bunch of us coming from the northeast are coming on airtran..
thanks CG and BTB..
In my blood, there's gasoline..

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

Delta states they are running on schedule and have not cancelled any flights for Atlanta!!!! So Wednesday should be very interesting!!!! YIKES
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

i can't believe i've been waiting a year for this--they're going to put all the cancellations from Tues/Wed on Thurs flights and there will be random flights just canceled..so normally i'd feel okay about flying on Thurs except for all the chaos from the other 2 days..might get there for the last verses of buttholeville..if at all...(lol)

to all those of you driving, safe travels!
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Clams

Post by Clams »

CooleyGirl wrote:
BostonREB wrote:Not all that worried about once I make it down south on Wednesday. Its the getting out of the airport in Boston Wednesday night that has me nervous. They are calling for this storm to hit us with 8-12" on Wednesday. Its a late flight so hopefully it will all work out.

Ditto! We're due to leave at 7:15 AM from CT, change planes in Philly, then fly to Atlanta and drive. The forecast is a huge storm Tues night into Wed am for Philly and CT. D'oh!! We may be spending the day at the airport, but we'll get there somehow!

If you get marooned in Philly Int'l, or if your layover is more than an hour, I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend The Famous King of Pizza in terminal D.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

BostonREB

Post by BostonREB »

Hmmm. Delta already canceling flights tonight BOS > ATL. Not good. There could be some considerable back up in travelers. Hopefully that will at least get cleared up before this storm hits us.

Hope they come on late Thursday night. LOL
Send lawyers, guns and money....

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Recommendation: Check in electronically for your flight 23 hours 59 minutes, 59 seconds before your flight time. Your flight might be full 'cause of other rerouted passengers, but u should have a fighting chance to avoid being bumped.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
CooleyGirl wrote:

If you get marooned in Philly Int'l, or if your layover is more than 4 hours, I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend The Famous Chez Clams

Fixed.

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

Bags packed, safety kit in car, gotta work a half day then hitting the road. Will go as far as possible Tuesday, hope the roads are clear. Travel safe family! See you there!
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

bogart

Post by bogart »

Y'all be safe out there. And to those of you flying, I will think positive thoughts and WILL see you at THE ROCK SHOW!
We're driving up from southeast Georgia on Thursday. Hopefully roads will be fine by then.

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

Starting to feel a bit better about the roads down here... The plow and salt trucks came through my back road so I think I can make it to highway now which takes me right to good ol I-75, so I think I'm gonna be good to go now. Surely if the back country roads are drivable and fixed the interstates and highways will be. Just gotta watch out for idiot drivers.
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

The Black Canary

anyone coming out of Boston contact your airline.

I just re-booked and I am flying out TODAY there are still some seats available on Delta and if you don't mind a couple of layovers, get out of town now!!!!!!

Lurleen McQueen

From the New York Times...

Here is a sign of how brutal the weather is — at least by Georgia standards: Before canceling the ball, Mr. Deal even called off the scheduled prayer service, as drastic a move in the South as canceling a football game.

Yep...if we cancel church or football - it's BAD

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The Black Canary

Lurleen McQueen wrote:From the New York Times...

Here is a sign of how brutal the weather is — at least by Georgia standards: Before canceling the ball, Mr. Deal even called off the scheduled prayer service, as drastic a move in the South as canceling a football game.

Yep...if we cancel church or football - it's BAD

:lol: :lol: :lol:

As long as I get to Atlanta tonight, I can deal with spending the night there and then moving on down the road to Athens in the morning!!!! and I do have a couple of friends who live in Atlanta, looks like the "hey when you are in town give me a jingle and ..." is now going to be taken advantage of!!!!!

ps: I was so excited when I got the re-booking for today and was yelling and jumping up and down with excitement, some one thought I saw a mouse!!! I was "oh no I am on my way to Athens!!!!! getting out before the snow fall!!" wow guess I am like a kid before Christmas, at least for this anyway!!!! Travel safe my friends!!!
Out of work in 3 hours and counting well actualy 2 hours and 53 minutes but who is counting!!!!!!

Oh and I got a ride to Logan Airport so no taking the subway!!!!!! :D :D :D

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

Just a thought for those with flight problems. The other major airport that you could look into flying into is Charlotte. It is about 3 hrs from Athens, but is a major hub for USAir and might be worth a check if you are totally screwed into Atlanta.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

ScottyC wrote:Just a thought for those with flight problems. The other major airport that you could look into flying into is Charlotte. It is about 3 hrs from Athens, but is a major hub for USAir and might be worth a check if you are totally screwed into Atlanta.

Good thought, will be keeping that one in my back pocket.

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

We can't get out of our neighborhood and the roads here in town are bananas. I feel for those of you that are traveling. Be safe.
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...