Break on Through

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Maluca3

Re: Break on Through

Post by Maluca3 »

DBT doesn't appeal to girls? I don't get that. I don't think DBT skews particularly young in general, but there are lots of ladies in the crowd.
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

SeanP

Post by SeanP »

Smitty wrote:
this is really, umm, shakey territory but...

Am I missing something? I think it's kinda insulting to DBT to say they're not even in MMJ's category when it comes to sexiness...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
and an insult to there talent!!!
caz mmj is not that good...
can u say overrated!!!
them and the hold steady are two bands that are mentioned on this board alot but they just are not that good!
i cant get why :lol: :lol:

rawkshow

Post by rawkshow »

hahah i have to agree that i don't see where MMJ has anymore "sex appeal" than the Truckers (Shonna of course excluded). But i have had a female friend comment a couple times that she feels like women are a minority at the DBT shows she's been too. I'm not sure why, i guess maybe murder ballads just aren't that appealing to certain types :D I guess tho Jim James voice crosses over better than Cooley/Hood, back to my earlier comment on the vocals. Plus they get way more press in major publications! I'm not hating on MMJ tho, i'm a big fan & they're a amazing live band, but to be honest, i just have way more fun at a DBT show than seeing anyone else.
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

drtpants wrote: I'm also not eager to see DBT graduate to reserved seating shows. The day that happens is the day I get off the bus.

This is a totally predictable response, but that doesn't mean i understand it. So if DBT releases the 2d coming of Let It Bleed or Born to Run or whatever, you won't listen to it or appreciate it because more people are attending the shows and can choose to sit down?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Maluca3 wrote:DBT doesn't appeal to girls? I don't get that. I don't think DBT skews particularly young in general, but there are lots of ladies in the crowd.

I haven't seen that many shows, but of the ones I've seen, one was probably over 80% male (that was flat out weird!) and most were 2/3 male. However, as i observed in the show specific threads, I thought the crowds in both NYC and Philly last wkend were much more balanced and I hope that's indicative of a trend (besides being a much more pleasant environment :) )

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

beantownbubba wrote:
drtpants wrote: I'm also not eager to see DBT graduate to reserved seating shows. The day that happens is the day I get off the bus.

This is a totally predictable response, but that doesn't mean i understand it. So if DBT releases the 2d coming of Let It Bleed or Born to Run or whatever, you won't listen to it or appreciate it because more people are attending the shows and can choose to sit down?

Don't get that either. I think Kudzu made a great post about this subject ...
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Translated: people smoke less pot or those that smoke pot listen to less good music. :lol:

Fixed it :lol:

And re: sex appeal... I guess y'all weren't near me on on NYE to experience the drunk girl behind me... "You don't understand... I fucking LOVE COOLEY."

In all seriousness, though, how big can we really expect them to get at this point? Patterson and Cooley are in their mid-40's. How many bands in the history of rock music have experienced that "big breakthrough" at age 50? I don't know of any and if such examples do exist they can't be all that frequent.

SeanP

Post by SeanP »

beantownbubba wrote:
Maluca3 wrote:DBT doesn't appeal to girls? I don't get that. I don't think DBT skews particularly young in general, but there are lots of ladies in the crowd.

I haven't seen that many shows, but of the ones I've seen, one was probably over 80% male (that was flat out weird!) and most were 2/3 male. However, as i observed in the show specific threads, I thought the crowds in both NYC and Philly last wkend were much more balanced and I hope that's indicative of a trend (besides being a much more pleasant environment :) )

there is more of a male presence in their fan base...
it used to be the only gals u saw in the audience was girlfriends of the guys there!
but u can see a change in the fan base lately.

being a younger fan...
i think the main reason dbt is not mainstream is because most people my age (are lazy) they want them catchy easy songs where every song sounds the same :lol: :lol: !
they don't care to know what a song is about are care to take the time to act read the lyrics...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jack Flash wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Translated: people smoke less pot or those that smoke pot listen to less good music. :lol:

Fixed it :lol:

And re: sex appeal... I guess y'all weren't near me on on NYE to experience the drunk girl behind me... "You don't understand... I fucking LOVE COOLEY."

In all seriousness, though, how big can we really expect them to get at this point? Patterson and Cooley are in their mid-40's. How many bands in the history of rock music have experienced that "big breakthrough" at age 50? I don't know of any and if such examples do exist they can't be all that frequent.

Absolutely correct. I think we're clearly talking about a new model: Professional musicians having a long career in a single popular music band based mostly on the quality of their music. And that's why I didn't have in mind Backstreet Boy or Justin Bieber like "success" when i started this thread. There are levels other than starving/getting by/megasuccess, and if there aren't, why not?

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

beantownbubba wrote:

No, but I won't go to those shows with their hefty price tags and assigned seats and ridiculous parking traffic jams. I would be happy for the band, buy their studio material, and stay away from live shows.

[edit] and to be clear, it's not about band love, just about personal tolerance for bigger events. I don't tailgate or do football either.
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

Smitty wrote:
Zip City wrote:
drtpants wrote:Point taken, Zip. But this then begs the question: What constitutes "breaking through" ? I mean, haven't they already then? DBT has pretty much gone as far as they can in the big clubs/theatre circuit. The next level is pretty much where a band like Wilco is at. They still play GA shows but increasingly are playing reserved seating venues.

Again, when you aren't bringing the S-E-X your potential for growing your audience is pretty minimal. And all you guys out there with Shonna fixations can save your smartass comments. You know that's not what I'm talking about.

Well, they aren't selling out clubs everywhere. They have a lot of cities that support them, but the assholes here in Columbus (for example) just don't show up.

Your point about appealing to girls (in general or the teenagers) is a good one, and will always be why bands like MMJ or The Avett Brothers sell more tickets/albums

this is really, umm, shakey territory but...

Uh, yeah Smitty. MMJ are waaaaay cuter. They might be just as hairy but they're way younger and Jim James causes much indiegirl swooning. Ask around this board for proof. There's a lot of women around here with a pretty major yen for that guy.

Am I missing something? I think it's kinda insulting to DBT to say they're not even in MMJ's category when it comes to sexiness...

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

ladies, yes. girls,no.

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

beantownbubba wrote:

I'd still buy the records and root for them as much as ever, but when/if they start playing big sheds I'm done. When the intimacy is gone,so am I.

Summer before last me and a buddy took our kids to see Coldplay. They were great, we all had a great time. But as a live music experience it wasn't even the same thing as seeing DBT in a stinky nasty rock club. The latter will always be better than the former.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'm not saying the members of MMJ are sexy, I'm saying their music appeals more to college aged girls than DBT's ever will
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Probably never happen in a million years but if VH1 Classic were to pick up A Secret To A Happy Ending it may help expose them to a larger audience in the same manner the Anvil documentary did. Like the Anvil doc, I think people that aren't even fans of the DBTs would enjoy it.

This aspect has already been mentioned but these days, with things like Facehump, the promotion of the band is just as much in the hands of the fans as it is in the hands of the band. Only danger in that is those folks that post relentlessly about them. Even if it's a band I like, I will eventually hide their posts because I get tired of being constantly bombarded by their bullshit.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I'm on the younger side of things too, and I've noticed with other guys (& chicks) my age, it wasn't that hard to completely convert them into being DBT fanatics (OK not to our level of fanaticism, but still) - all it took was sitting them down and letting them listen - however if I hadnt taken the time to do that, they'd probably either never been aware of them or never have given them the chance.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:I'm on the younger side of things too, and I've noticed with other guys (& chicks) my age, it wasn't that hard to completely convert them into being DBT fanatics (OK not to our level of fanaticism, but still) - all it took was sitting them down and letting them listen - however if I hadnt taken the time to do that, they'd probably either never been aware of them or never have given them the chance.

This.

A bunch of my buddies have really gotten into DBT and have gone to see them multiple times as well as owning every album. They don't post on, or are even aware of 3DD/9B, but they love the band, support them, and "get it".

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Gone for a couple hours and this thread just got strange. Was I really reading about you folks comparing DBT & MMJ in terms of sex appeal? You fuckers crack me up. :lol:
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Gone for a couple hours and this thread just got strange. Was I really reading about you folks comparing DBT & MMJ in terms of sex appeal? You fuckers crack me up. :lol:

Not that weird when considering which bands do/don't appeal to young women

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

This "girl" finds them extremely appealing as artists, songwriters, musicians...Of course I think "smart" is sexy...
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I think it's pretty clear that the women of 3DD aren't typical female music fans

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Gone for a couple hours and this thread just got strange. Was I really reading about you folks comparing DBT & MMJ in terms of sex appeal? You fuckers crack me up. :lol:

I'd take Cooley's skinny little ass over pasty, fireheaded Yim Yames anyway. Juss sayin

edit: part of me thinks I should delete this post.... lol

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Smitty wrote:

I'd take Cooley's skinny little ass over pasty, fireheaded Yim Yames anyway. Juss sayin

Penny Lane is going to come beat your ass

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Smitty wrote:

Penny Lane is going to come beat your ass

Do we get to watch? Sell tickets?

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Zip City wrote:

Not that weird when considering which bands do/don't appeal to young women

Doesn't this kinda sell women short a bit. Women don't just like musicians who they think are sexy.
Keep calm and have a cigar

SeanP

Post by SeanP »

Zip City wrote:Penny Lane is going to come beat your ass

:lol: :lol:
come on...
now!
caz it true...
mmj
loses out on looks and talent!!!!
:lol:

SeanP

Post by SeanP »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Do we get to watch? Sell tickets?

i got to give a slight edge to penny....
:lol: :lol: :lol:

pickin on yimmy she be xtra pissed :lol:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

sactochris wrote:Doesn't this kinda sell women short a bit. Women don't just like musicians who they think are sexy.

The whole thing is absurd. It is entertaining though.

Of course sexy rock stars appeal to women, but so do intelligent, well written beautifully executed songs. Let's give the ladies credit.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
sactochris wrote:Doesn't this kinda sell women short a bit. Women don't just like musicians who they think are sexy.

The whole thing is absurd. It is entertaining though.

Of course sexy rock stars appeal to women, but so do intelligent, well written beautifully executed songs. Let's give the ladies credit.

Yeah yeah yeah, but who do you think is sexier: MMJ or DBT?

or
Last edited by Smitty on Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

SeanP

Post by SeanP »

Smitty wrote:Yeah yeah yeah, but who do you think is sexier: MMJ or DBT?

i can't believe u two guys are seriously discussing which is sexier....