Break on Through

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Smitty

Re: Break on Through

Post by Smitty »

SeanP wrote:
Smitty wrote:Yeah yeah yeah, but who do you think is sexier: MMJ or DBT?

i can't believe u two guys are seriously discussing which is sexier....

I'm juss fuckin around...
but seriously, DBT is the correct answer.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:I think it's pretty clear that the women of 3DD aren't typical female music fans

Understatement of the year. :lol:
If you don't run you rust

Clams

Post by Clams »

Folks, I think it's pretty clear, given the state of the music biz and the point where Patterson, Cooley, et al. are in their careers, that they've about reached the limit of their commercial success. I'm not saying that the can't or won't get "bigger," but appreciably bigger? I don't see it. They are brilliant artists and musicians who will always make critically acclaimed music and kick ass live performances. But in this day and age, that doesn't mean they're going to "break on through." They are a niche band with a niche sound who appeal to niche fans (like us). They don't make commercial-type hits and even if they did, there are barely any outlets (radio, internet, TV, whatever) that play those songs anymore. Plus they are already in their 40's - obviously not old, but not young enough to be the next big thing. I don't see a point where they're going to make gold records or step up to arena size shows. If it was going to happen, it would have already. God bless 'em, but it's just not going to happen at this point.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I think it could happen. Wilco was at about the same level as DBT are now for several years before becoming a much larger band in terms of record sales and biggers gig's.
Keep calm and have a cigar

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Clams wrote:
Zip City wrote:I think it's pretty clear that the women of 3DD aren't typical female music fans

The women of 3DD. That sounds like a good idea for a calendar. It could be a benefit for nucci's space.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Clams

Post by Clams »

sactochris wrote:
Clams wrote:

The women of 3DD. That sounds like a good idea for a calendar. It could be a benefit for nucci's space.

Can you just imagine? That would be a fucking hoot.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Count me in. As a buyer, not a poser you Aholes. After all, it's for a good cause.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

sactochris wrote:I think it could happen. Wilco was at about the same level as DBT are now for several years before becoming a much larger band in terms of record sales and biggers gig's.

This is what I was thinking too, along with the Black Keys, but they're the exceptions, I believe..
Wilco had to resort to pretty much weeding out any country influence and get "experimental" for the hip elite to take notice - wouldn't want DBT to have to do that...
I could see Patterson maybe doing a side project with some hip artist friend, like Craig Finn, Jim James, Dan Auerbach or someone like that and bringing a lot more attention to DBT - I would rather hear him complete that project on LBJ with Will Johnson personally, tho.. or maybe something with Brent Best..

(stolen from JennB)
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Clams wrote:Folks, I think it's pretty clear, given the state of the music biz and the point where Patterson, Cooley, et al. are in their careers, that they've about reached the limit of their commercial success. I'm not saying that the can't or won't get "bigger," but appreciably bigger? I don't see it. They are brilliant artists and musicians who will always make critically acclaimed music and kick ass live performances. But in this day and age, that doesn't mean they're going to "break on through." They are a niche band with a niche sound who appeal to niche fans (like us). They don't make commercial-type hits and even if they did, there are barely any outlets (radio, internet, TV, whatever) that play those songs anymore. Plus they are already in their 40's - obviously not old, but not young enough to be the next big thing. I don't see a point where they're going to make gold records or step up to arena size shows. If it was going to happen, it would have already. God bless 'em, but it's just not going to happen at this point.

I agree with most of your points here but I'm also a firm believer in never saying never. After all, Willie Nelson didn't have a number one hit (that he sang himself) until "Blue Eyes Crying In the Rain" when he was 42 years old but as you've noted, the music world has changed dramatically since 1975.

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

sactochris wrote:I think it could happen. Wilco was at about the same level as DBT are now for several years before becoming a much larger band in terms of record sales and biggers gig's.

Yeah, but Wilco played on Prairie Home Companion. Just sayin'.
Not forever, just for now.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

SeanP wrote:
Smitty wrote:Yeah yeah yeah, but who do you think is sexier: MMJ or DBT?

i can't believe u two guys are seriously discussing which is sexier....

I didn't seem to make my point very clearly

I'm not saying that female fans would pick MMJ because the members of the band are better looking. I'm saying that MMJ's songs appeal to them more. DBT simply won't (and shouldn't) be writing songs like I'm Amazed or One Big Holiday
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The daughter wants a full-length DBT record for kids. I figure with "Eyes Like Glue" and "Great Big Horse and Little Pony" they've got a start on it.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

Once again, part of one idea I expressed gets seized upon, chewed up, slobbered on and spat out while having really nothing to do with what I actually said.

Again: The entertainment market place is driven by what can be sold to t(w)eenage girls first and foremost. If anyone outside that demographic is into it, so much the better. But if you aren't making it with that crowd your appeal is limited and if your appeal is limited than there's only so much (read:not much) industry muscle that's going to be brought to bear to sell you. While its true that the mega popstars of today have multi-demographic appeal (which is basically what makes them megastars) they were sold to girls first.

Yes, there are women who like DBT. Yes, some of them might even think someone in the band has sex appeal. Guess what? The women on this board do not fall into the aforementioned demographic. Or any demographic for that matter, which by the way is at the root of why we all love it here at 3DD. Just because someone of the female persuasion on this board would like to give Cooley an uh-huh-oh-yeah doesn't exactly disprove my point.

DBT: Niche band, niche audience, niche market= limited potential for growth. Fine by me...I wish them all the success in the world so everyone in DBT INC. can live comfortably, especially after it's over. Karl Mueller from Soul Asylum, right before he got sick, was making my drinks at a Freakwater show in the late nineties.The most depressing thing in the world would be having Patterson wait on my table or having Cooley selling me gas and cigarettes or whatever. That said, I'm not eager to share my band with your little sister. I'm not eager to pay fifty bucks to go see a band I once saw for ten. If that makes me an Unsupportive Asshole, it's a title I'm totally cool with.

Final thought: If anyone here knew of a surefire way to break DBT, they'd be famous themselves and wouldn't be hanging around a fan message board of an artist that will be known as a 'cult band' the second they break up.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Drt, it's all good. Enhance your calm. Have an extra cup of coffee and treat yourself to a donut will ya? :)
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

I've always seen DBT on the same trajectory as a band like Widespread or Los Lobos. Critically lauded, rabid fanbase, albums about every year, and road horses.

As for the comments about Wilco, yeah, I think they radically altered their sound (or honed, found, whatever) to get where they're at. They added Nels which brought in a certain flair, and their music became less niche-y and more radio-friendly. There's a reason a lot of critics refer to them a "dad rock".

I don't think there's any shame in being in the position that they're in currently. In the long-run I think they will ultimately have more freedom to pursue what they want to do, and have more leverage over their careers than if they were to get "big". When yr Coldplay-big, every move is scrutinized, and the spotlight on you is way hotter. Where DBT is as a band, especially with talk of them taking a break--do they really want that? I mean, sure as a career milestone selling a million copies would be incredible, but would they want that attention to sustain it? Just thoughts.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

sactochris wrote:
Clams wrote:

can we change the name of the board to thirty six dimes down?

missdazey

Post by missdazey »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
sactochris wrote:Doesn't this kinda sell women short a bit. Women don't just like musicians who they think are sexy.

The whole thing is absurd. It is entertaining though.

Of course sexy rock stars appeal to women, but so do intelligent, well written beautifully executed songs. Let's give the ladies credit.

THIS.

I ain't going to see shows to see how "cute" the band is..

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

missdazey wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
sactochris wrote:Doesn't this kinda sell women short a bit. Women don't just like musicians who they think are sexy.

Of course sexy rock stars appeal to women, but so do intelligent, well written beautifully executed songs. Let's give the ladies credit.

THIS.

It's a funny bit of chemistry
How a [GUITar] makes a guy seem that much cooler ;)
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

There you go again, Maluca... dropping Hold Steady references just to get the THS haters all ginned up. :lol: Keep up the good work.

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

I do what I can.
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

drtpants wrote:

Final thought: If anyone here knew of a surefire way to break DBT, they'd be famous themselves and wouldn't be hanging around a fan message board of an artist that will be known as a 'cult band' the second they break up.

For a guy who complains so much about being misunderstood, u sure do a fair amount of misunderstanding yourself.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Flying Rabbit wrote:I've always seen DBT on the same trajectory as a band like Widespread or Los Lobos. Critically lauded, rabid fanbase, albums about every year, and road horses.

As for the comments about Wilco, yeah, I think they radically altered their sound (or honed, found, whatever) to get where they're at. They added Nels which brought in a certain flair, and their music became less niche-y and more radio-friendly. There's a reason a lot of critics refer to them a "dad rock".

which would make dbt what? cool (possibly creepy) uncle rock?
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

I prefer to refer to them as 'third cousin once removed" rock.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Nah, it's dbt, so it's gotta be at least "kissing cousins rock".

njMark

Post by njMark »

Indian Rider Oz wrote:This is a sure fire recipe for sucess in these modern times :

Do as much drugs & Booze as you can & then more, Beat the wife & kids ,Steal a car & have the cops chase you thru LA , (cause they film car chases there) hit a few vehicles all while "USED TO BE A COP " Plays in the bacground, cause a massive pile up when finnally stopped, Then here it comes the big pay off ........ "CELEBRITY REHAB" !!!!! , State how happy you are that you have been saved by your new found religion & how sorry you are for what you have done & BINGO yer In !!!Yea baby that's how ya do it these days !!!!!
HA HA HA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey! Why arent I famous yet, that is how I spent New Years Eve :lol:

garnersound

Post by garnersound »

to quote col. bruce hampton....
"if the girls come out and dance the band will have great success."
we're all just humans being.

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

garnersound wrote:to quote col. bruce hampton....
"if the girls come out and dance the band will have great success."

Thank you!

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Maluca3 wrote:
missdazey wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

THIS.

It's a funny bit of chemistry
How a [GUITar] makes a guy seem that much cooler ;)

Maloooooooooooooca
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

cortez the killer wrote:They better not cover the fuckin' Doors.

For a long time that song (Break on Through) was going to be played at my funeral.

In, you know, a hundred years or so.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

drtpants wrote:Once again, part of one idea I expressed gets seized upon, chewed up, slobbered on and spat out while having really nothing to do with what I actually said.

Again: The entertainment market place is driven by what can be sold to t(w)eenage girls first and foremost. If anyone outside that demographic is into it, so much the better. But if you aren't making it with that crowd your appeal is limited and if your appeal is limited than there's only so much (read:not much) industry muscle that's going to be brought to bear to sell you. While its true that the mega popstars of today have multi-demographic appeal (which is basically what makes them megastars) they were sold to girls first.

Really? Seriously? How much money do teeny girls have to spend on music that isnt spent on (judging by my Dawn of the Dead experience yesterday in the shopping mall) shorty short shorts (and girls, some of you just shouldnt, mkay?) and those spaghetti strap tops (with like an undershirt thing, and bra underneath and a racer back top on top. from behind it looks like a freeway map of downtown Beijing: lots and lots of little lines bracketed by curvy bits. Oh, and hair dye, makeup and eye shadow. And giggling. though giggling doesnt cost much money. But the drugs to get that giggly wont be cheap. Lemmetellya.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.