Go-Go Boots Discussion Thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

bovine knievel

Re: Go-Go Boots Discussion Thread

Post by bovine knievel »

I Hear You Hummin' sounds like there is somebody playing a handsaw ala The Flatlanders. Whatever it is... I dig!!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

bovine knievel wrote:I Hear You Hummin' sounds like there is somebody playing a handsaw ala The Flatlanders. Whatever it is... I dig!!

Check out the web episode that features that song. it is indeed Jay on a real saw,
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

cre618

Post by cre618 »

Zip City wrote:
roland wrote:FInally figured out how to put "I Hear You Hummin" in the right place on my iTunes. I was about to have to uncheck it, as it wouldn't move from being the last track. This record has to end with "Mercy Buckets." Nothing else is acceptable.

Where is the right place?

According to the vinyl, it's right after "Used to be a Cop." Sounds pretty sweet there.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Where's Eddie is my favorite Shonna song.
Followed, but not closely, by (it's gonna be) I Told You So.
Are the thank you's to 3DD on the vinyl? ( cause I can't find them.)
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Swamp wrote:Are the thank you's to 3DD on the vinyl? ( cause I can't find them.)

I haven't found them on the vinyl yet either.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Holy tarnished badges Batman, Used To Be A Cop is one hell of a song! I love it when a song I don't like at all on first listen ends up hitting me as hard as this one. I mean damn, it's good.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

batigol22

Post by batigol22 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Holy tarnished badges Batman, Used To Be A Cop is one hell of a song! I love it when a song I don't like at all on first listen ends up hitting me as hard as this one. I mean damn, it's good.

agreed.

really strikes me as having a late 70s-early 80s stones vibe. one of their darker ones like heartbreaker or undercover of the night.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

batigol22 wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Holy tarnished badges Batman, Used To Be A Cop is one hell of a song! I love it when a song I don't like at all on first listen ends up hitting me as hard as this one. I mean damn, it's good.

agreed.

really strikes me as having a late 70s-early 80s stones vibe. one of their darker ones like heartbreaker or undercover of the night.

The song has an amazing laid back smokin groove that I just can't get enough of. The bridge floors me everytime I hear it.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I feel so conflicted about the title track. The band sounds great, but the vocal melody and lyrics don't do much for me (which is strange, because the subject matter should be right up my alley). But this verse is one of the best moments on the album, IMO:

Stained glass windows, Jesus looking down
Organs playing music to the middle aged crowd
His wife's in the ground the devil's in his head
Them go-go boots are underneath the bed
But it's a small town and word gets around

Gives me chills, the way the music steadily builds and then quietly explodes (if that's possible). That sorta encapsulates my thoughts on the whole album. A lot of the band's best and worst (or at least my favorite and least favorite) tendencies all rolled into a big ball. Just a big, beautiful mess.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Duke Silver wrote:Gives me chills, the way the music steadily builds and then quietly explodes (if that's possible). That sorta encapsulates my thoughts on the whole album. A lot of the band's best and worst (or at least my favorite and least favorite) tendencies all rolled into a big ball. Just a big, beautiful mess.

Perhaps I'm overreacting to the word "mess" but I really don't get that. The album seems the opposite of "mess" to me. Very clean, thought out, precise, professional, what have you. It's not my personal reaction, but a complaint that it wasn't "sloppy enough" would resonate w/ me more than it being a "beautiful mess."
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

beantownbubba wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:Gives me chills, the way the music steadily builds and then quietly explodes (if that's possible). That sorta encapsulates my thoughts on the whole album. A lot of the band's best and worst (or at least my favorite and least favorite) tendencies all rolled into a big ball. Just a big, beautiful mess.

Perhaps I'm overreacting to the word "mess" but I really don't get that. The album seems the opposite of "mess" to me. Very clean, thought out, precise, professional, what have you. It's not my personal reaction, but a complaint that it wasn't "sloppy enough" would resonate w/ me more than it being a "beautiful mess."

GGB, Assholes, Ray's, Thanksgiving, Fireplace Poker, and even Mercy Buckets are all very shaggy, loose songs to me. (And that's not necessarily a bad thing, at all.) They sound less fussed over than stuff like I Do Believe, Cartoon Gold, Used To Be A Cop, and Pulaski.

But we may have different definitions of "sloppy". We've already established that we listen to different radio stations. ;)

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Duke Silver wrote:I feel so conflicted about the title track. The band sounds great, but the vocal melody and lyrics don't do much for me (which is strange, because the subject matter should be right up my alley). But this verse is one of the best moments on the album, IMO:

Stained glass windows, Jesus looking down
Organs playing music to the middle aged crowd
His wife's in the ground the devil's in his head
Them go-go boots are underneath the bed
But it's a small town and word gets around

Gives me chills, the way the music steadily builds and then quietly explodes (if that's possible). That sorta encapsulates my thoughts on the whole album. A lot of the band's best and worst (or at least my favorite and least favorite) tendencies all rolled into a big ball. Just a big, beautiful mess.

Pretty similar to my thoughts on it as well. I love that verse on GGB.

Clams

Post by Clams »

sactochris wrote:
batigol22 wrote:

agreed.

The song has an amazing laid back smokin groove that I just can't get enough of. The bridge floors me everytime I hear it.

Used to be a Cop might be the best song on the record. It's got everything: killer lyrics, that bass/drum groove and 3 wicked guitars. And it's even better live. Go Go Boots shines on the live stage as well.
If you don't run you rust

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Duke Silver wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

GGB, Assholes, Ray's, Thanksgiving, Fireplace Poker, and even Mercy Buckets are all very shaggy, loose songs to me. (And that's not necessarily a bad thing, at all.) They sound less fussed over than stuff like I Do Believe, Cartoon Gold, Used To Be A Cop, and Pulaski.

But we may have different definitions of "sloppy". We've already established that we listen to different radio stations. ;)

T'giving Filter i can sorta see(hear), but not the others. I guess you're right it's that different radio stations thing again :)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

scotto

Post by scotto »

Holy cats the vinyl sounds amazing!
Best mastering of any DBT LP I've heard so far.
Well done!

scotto

Post by scotto »

Gotta love this. From the lyric sheet:

Electric and acoustic guitars, vocals, bass and drums, banjo, pedal steel, lap steel, dobro, Fender Stringmaster, Hammond B3, piano, Wurlitzer, accordion, melodica, harmonica, and saw tracked mostly live to 16-track, two-inch analog and mixed down to 1/2-inch analog with tubes a-glowing and plates shimmering with reverberated bliss.

Been listening all morning and no shit this is the best-sounding DBT album yet. Analog mastered to tape with tube equipment. Clarity, dynamic range, real-life presence of the instruments...This music was meant to be heard scraped from the grooves with a diamond. Too much.

joecarlson

Post by joecarlson »

One of the great things we all love about DBT is their intelligent use of words. Go-Go Boots doesn't let us down. In The Weakest Man, Cooley performs his usual magic trick of stuffing too many words in a line but at the same time manages to create a line with three words ending in -ing one after the other "I'll be leaving knowing surviving you won't make me stronger". Brilliant. And Dancing Ricky must be the only song in history with the word diabetes in it. Am sure we'll all be yelling "Don let tha dia-bet-eez getcha" at Shonna when she sings it live. I will anyway!

Clams

Post by Clams »

Does anyone know why the girl in the Freed painting on the back cover of the CD booklet has those creepy hairy legs? Usually everything in his paintings comes from somewhere in the lyrics or back story, but I'm drawing a blank on this one.
If you don't run you rust

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

I can't explain why, but I love the picture on the inside of the gatefold. It is hauntingly beautiful.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

PeterJ wrote:I can't explain why, but I love the picture on the inside of the gatefold. It is hauntingly beautiful.

x 2. I'd buy a print if it were available...

Will

Post by Will »

The first time I saw DBT was at a Merle Haggard birthday tribute show at the 40 Watt in '97 or '98. They hooked me then, and this band has been a part of the fabric of my life throughout my 20's, into my 30's, as my life took shape, chaos sometimes happened around me, and I finally ended up where I am now, a pretty content guy engaged to the love of my life. I say all this just to try to lend some weight it when I say this:

I think this is the best album the band's ever put out. Well done, folks.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

scotto wrote:Been listening all morning and no shit this is the best-sounding DBT album yet. Analog mastered to tape with tube equipment. Clarity, dynamic range, real-life presence of the instruments...This music was meant to be heard scraped from the grooves with a diamond. Too much.

Couldn't agree more. Mastered by the Master, Greg Calbi. Burned some new tubes for a month in anticipation and was not disappointed!
Always go to the show

pallister

Post by pallister »

Anybody else hear Townes Van Zandt on a couple of Cooley's songs, especially Pulaski?

joecarlson

Post by joecarlson »

Definite Pancho and Lefty feel about Pulaski. NO bad thing.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

After listening to this for the last few months I'm starting to get an idea of where it's gonna fall in my (totally irrelevant) ranking. Probably somewhere in the "middle tier" of DBT albums for me, although that's guaranteed to change. At one point I had TBTD pegged as a better version of ABAAC, and now I feel the opposite. :D

Decoration Day
The Dirty South
Brighter Than Creation's Dark

Pizza Deliverance
Southern Rock Opera
Go-Go Boots

A Blessing and a Curse
Gangstabilly
The Big-To Do

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Listening to AHC this morning, and I think that a slightly slowed down version of "Runaway Train" with a lot of Johnny Neff pedal steel would have fit really well on GGB.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Clams wrote:Does anyone know why the girl in the Freed painting on the back cover of the CD booklet has those creepy hairy legs?

Isn't she some sort of cloven-hooved demonette or something? I mean, I don't think she's just some hippy chick.

pallister

Post by pallister »

joecarlson wrote:Definite Pancho and Lefty feel about Pulaski. NO bad thing.

I was thinking more Tecumseh Valley. Hearing Weakest Man for the first time initially made me think of Townes.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

scotto wrote:
Clams wrote:Does anyone know why the girl in the Freed painting on the back cover of the CD booklet has those creepy hairy legs?

Isn't she some sort of cloven-hooved demonette or something? I mean, I don't think she's just some hippy chick.

Maybe it's Ricky.