Go-Go Boots Discussion Thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

cortez the killer

Re: Go-Go Boots Discussion Thread

Post by cortez the killer »

Obviously, Steve Albini knows way more than I do about any component of the music industry. But is this an airtight, 100% factual account of the music industry? Also, this was written in the early 90's. I wonder if the same model applies. Either way, it's a fascinating read.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

cortez the killer wrote:Obviously, Steve Albini knows way more than I do about any component of the music industry. But is this an airtight, 100% factual account of the music industry? Also, this was written in the early 90's. I wonder if the same model applies. Either way, it's a fascinating read.

Nope definitely not airtight, there's plenty to nitpick and you're right that the numbers have probably changed somewhat, but relative to each other i bet it hasn't changed much. Biggest change? My guess is that the type of band he describes probably sells fewer than 100K albums rather than 250K (plus some itunes revenue on the upside).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Out of curiosity, did the pre-order come with any stated promise or guarantee of a delivery date?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

gerg

Post by gerg »

Zip City wrote:Out of curiosity, did the pre-order come with any stated promise or guarantee of a delivery date?

Funny I just noticed your Mangum lyrics. Had the NYC '98 Oh Comely youtube clip playing at the moment. That was weird.

cortez the killer

Zip City wrote:Out of curiosity, did the pre-order come with any stated promise or guarantee of a delivery date?

Good question Zip, but regardless, what the fuck is the purpose of a pre-order if the customer will not receive the product on or before the release date? I've been burned several times going the pre-order route (DBT & other artists) and will never go that way again.
- DPM

sg207

Post by sg207 »

No, but typically pre-order implies that you'll get it at least on or near the release date, doesn't it? Especially when you're charging almost $7 to ship just a single DVD? Despite pre-ordering, mine apparently hasn't even shipped yet. I would think if you're not going to bother even getting it out the same week, you should probably include that information.

Had I known it would end up being a week later, there is no way I would have ordered through the site. Heck, I'm tempted to go buy it anyway, and return the copy they send to me.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

sg207

Post by sg207 »

Dave wrote:Two quick questions:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone who has contacted Audiolife/Topspin gotten any response from them? Email, phone, carrier pigeon, smoke signals?

And: has anyone who has ordered the Deluxe Package actually gotten the whole thing (vinyl, plain-case CD, Episodes DVD, Freed prints)?

Just wondering.

I've still received no response from my request. I have received the shipping email, but the tracking number does not work yet. I only ordered the DVD.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

sg207 wrote:

No, but typically pre-order implies that you'll get it at least on or near the release date, doesn't it?

Nope. Pre-ordering in most cases just means you are guaranteeing that you will be receiving a copy. From my experience of pre-ordering with labels they say that they will "try" to get it out before its released. 9/10 times though I get it a day or two after.

I mean, there's a lot of stuff going on here that might not be Top Spin's fault. The shipment of some of the components that made up the deluxe might've been late themselves to the distributor. Or, heck, maybe the band even took more time to sign those personal thank you cards. Who knows.

It stinks that shipping is such a high cost. I know several fringe fans that would've ordered from the website, but saw the shipping costs and said "no thank you".

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Got my Deluxe Package this afternoon and geeking out to the vinyl as we speak. Two days late isn't the worse thing in the world. I did get the signed card which is a huge surprise because I waited about 3 weeks to order. I figured the first 200 would have ordered in the first couple of days.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

So, Dave broke down and called this afternoon after emailing yesterday and hearing nothing back. The original auto-reply email 24 hours ago, said someone would be in touch within 24 hours. When no one got back, he called today. Got a person who waited until the end of the brief call to say it was a bad connection, and to wait for them to respond to yesterday's email, which they would do within 24 hours. From today. Meaning maybe someone will call or email tomorrow.

I bet they are swamped, but you'd think, had they a sense of good customer service, that the person would have said 1) I'm sorry sir, we have a bad connection may I call you right back and 2) since we have you on the phone and you've already been waiting 24 hours, can I do something to help you right now?

Meh.
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

Virgil Caine

Post by Virgil Caine »

Does the band profit more financially if you order from the website instead of buying at your local record store? I assumed they did, which is part of the reason why I did the pre-order.
It's easier to let it all die a fairy tale than admit that something bigger's passing through

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

if i'm being a dick, tell me to shut the fuck up.

it really sux that people are having issues with pre-orders and i'm not trying to be a asshole or anything, but is there anyway we can get up a separate thread for comments about record shipment probs?.....let this thread be for discussion of ggb. getting kinda tough to sift thru mail issues and the discussion of the record.

i would start one but i'm groovy with the service i got.

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

Or we could just quit our bitchin. :D
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Maluca3 wrote:Or we could just quit our bitchin. :D

Hi Maluca, we're the population of 3DD, perhaps we havn't met.... ;)
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

GW in IA wrote:
Maluca3 wrote:Or we could just quit our bitchin. :D

Hi Maluca, we're the population of 3DD, perhaps we havn't met.... ;)

HaHa! :lol: :lol:
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I've said it before but the best way to listen to DBT is on vinyl. Go-Go Boots sounds warm, full and simply incredible in that format. Digging it like hearing it for the first time.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I've said it before but the best way to listen to DBT is on vinyl. Go-Go Boots sounds warm, full and simply incredible in that format. Digging it like hearing it for the first time.

I'm sure it was better for you, but even the switch from mp3 on the 'puter to cd on the stereo was a huge positive difference.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

cortez the killer

Shut the fuck up dime.
- DPM

ford911

Post by ford911 »

Friday morning and still no shipping email here.

sg207

Post by sg207 »

ford911 wrote:Friday morning and still no shipping email here.

I finally got a response email, saying that it shipped Wednesday night, which is what my first email said. It also stated that they ran out and had to get a replinishment shipment to fill my order, but that sounds like a pretty lame excuse, considering the pre-order. And my tracking number now works, and it shows it just being shipped last night.

Who knows. I guess it doesn't matter at this point, feels like I've waited forever to see the documentary, what's another week. But I'll take this as a lesson learned in dealing with TopSpin.

Edit: On a side note, somebody mentioned customer service. If the issue really is that needed more product, how difficult would it have been to communicate that to everybody it affected? It would have gone a long way with a lot of people just knowing, and being offered an apology.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

cortez the killer wrote:Obviously, Steve Albini knows way more than I do about any component of the music industry. But is this an airtight, 100% factual account of the music industry? Also, this was written in the early 90's. I wonder if the same model applies. Either way, it's a fascinating read.

At the risk of further derailing this thread, I will offer only that my own major label experience was much like watching this article come to life. I read this in high school and should have really known better than to ignore my instincts (gleaned from the teachings of Albini and countless other lesser known punk fanzine scribes), but gave in to temptation and paid dearly for it. I swear, it was as if someone took that article and decided to put on a private one-act play adaptation of it, just for me. If anyone's interested beyond that, feel free to PM me, as I said, don't wanna derail. Just vouching for the article. And the numbers are different now, yes - they're even grimmer.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

cortez the killer wrote:Shut the fuck up dime.

cortez never leaves a man behind.

term "window shine" is brilliant.

karmadog

Post by karmadog »

mine was delivered yesterday. Hate the cost of shipping but I always prefer to buy directly from the band's website.
Now I had seen all of the art and have heard the album, but theres nothing like sittin' back and listening to it on vinyl while checkin out the full size cover art and readin the liner notes. Let me also say that I love the mat finish on the album cover.

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Here is the craptacular email I got from their customer service, 2 days after the email had been sent. They are not taking any responsibility at all. :evil:

Pete,

We are sorry that this occurred with your order. It is our intent, when it comes to pre orders, to ship out orders so that they are received with enough time to coincide with the street release date. We do this, provided that we receive the merchandise from the artists management team with enough time to do so. It is very rare that we experience a delay in receiving the merchandise. We understand that this is in no the fault of the customer, and the impression left is unfortunate. Currently, we show that the order is in transit to you. Below is the tracking information to use to view the transit. We have escalated this issue to our production team advising them of your dissatisfaction with this experience. We have asked if there can be any sort of recompense for this matter. We at Audiolife are were not the party that charged you for the order, as you will notice on your receipt, and are responsible to ship orders in our system as they arrive, or are due. Please allow 24-48 hours for us to receive a response to the submitted request. Once we hear back regarding this issue we will reach out to you.

Best,
Felix
Audiolife CS
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

Fatah Ruark

Post by Fatah Ruark »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I've said it before but the best way to listen to DBT is on vinyl. Go-Go Boots sounds warm, full and simply incredible in that format. Digging it like hearing it for the first time.

The wax sounds really really nice. Obviously a gigantic upgrade over the MP3's I've been listening to. I've purchase more than a fair number of vinyl releases that have sounded like crap lately, but this was really well done. Very quiet pressing and the mastering is top notch.

RE: Pre-orders being late. All orders included a download of the album, so it didn't really bother me too much (not that I didn't have the MP3's months ago like everyone else).

I got my deluxe package yesterday morning (I ordered within minutes of it going on sale). It was VERY well packaged. Got the autographs which was cool, although I would have preferred them on something a bit more interesting. A white card just doesn't look good next to my signed RSD and Eddie Hinton 7" singles. I was expecting something a little different out of the deluxe package...not just the regular vinyl release plus extra goodies, but it's probably for the best as a lot of deluxe releases don't fit in with the rest of my vinyl on the shelf. Not sure what I want to do with the prints. I'll probably just buy some of those 12" vinyl frames (if they fit in there). Otherwise I might splurge and get a custom frame with all of them in it. That might be a bit pricey though.

Ok...back to listening. I can't believe how much this album has grown on me.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

"The bottom's low and the treble's clear"
Keep calm and have a cigar

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Picked up the vinyl at the post office this morning. Popped in the cd and I'm loving it.
Gonna spin the turntable after I've had dinner and a puff or two.
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

roland

Post by roland »

FInally figured out how to put "I Hear You Hummin" in the right place on my iTunes. I was about to have to uncheck it, as it wouldn't move from being the last track. This record has to end with "Mercy Buckets." Nothing else is acceptable.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

roland wrote:FInally figured out how to put "I Hear You Hummin" in the right place on my iTunes. I was about to have to uncheck it, as it wouldn't move from being the last track. This record has to end with "Mercy Buckets." Nothing else is acceptable.

Where is the right place?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Just FYI, got my cd/EP from Rough Trade UK. Hopefully, if you ordered one to get the EP, it'll be in yr mailbox soon as well.