Go-Go Boots Discussion Thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Iowan

Re: Go-Go Boots Discussion Thread

Post by Iowan »

RevMatt wrote:I can't decide what my favorite song on GGB is. Maybe the title track. I am a sucker for songs about preachers straying. I did a four year stint at a church where, over a 20 year period, five pastors were removed for sexual misconduct. I should write a book about that place. Actually I did. :D

I think Shonna's version of "Where's Eddie" is a great one. In her delivery you can really her the desperation of the narrator driving all over town looking for her man and hoping he will give her another chance.

I've probably said it already in this thread, but I really think that's the best vocal performance to date on a DBT album.

brstigerfan

Post by brstigerfan »

I love Ray's Automatic Weapon. (maybe because it takes me back to The Ramble, and my giddiness of that evening, I believe that was the opener that night. Strange that such a dark song takes me to a happy place)
I also f'ng LOVE Where's Eddie. I have never really cared too much for any of the Shonna songs. Now, I think she sings my favorite song on this album. Perhaps she should stick to Eddie Hinton covers. (Just kidding, of course. What do I know?)

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

brstigerfan wrote:I also f'ng LOVE Where's Eddie. I have never really cared too much for any of the Shonna songs. Now, I think she sings my favorite song on this album. Perhaps she should stick to Eddie Hinton covers. (Just kidding, of course. What do I know?)

I love it too. Not my favorite track on Boots, but damn close.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

cortez the killer wrote:
brstigerfan wrote:I also f'ng LOVE Where's Eddie. I have never really cared too much for any of the Shonna songs. Now, I think she sings my favorite song on this album. Perhaps she should stick to Eddie Hinton covers. (Just kidding, of course. What do I know?)

I love it too. Not my favorite track on Boots, but damn close.

Where's eddie is far and away my favorite of all of Shonna's songs so far. I like the new one in the vid (I Hear You Hummin) a lot too. They really fit the mood of the record.
If you don't run you rust

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

was listening to The Fine Print last night and I feel that The Great Car Dealer War would fit nice on GGB, maybe right before or after Used To Be A Cop.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

bovine knievel wrote:was listening to The Fine Print last night and I feel that The Great Car Dealer War would fit nice on GGB, maybe right before or after Used To Be A Cop.

Good call
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I think, thematically, GGB has a lot in common w/TDS.

Toke

Post by Toke »

Hey all,
I'm new here, wanted to say hi. I've been a DBT fan since I saw a blurb in Guitar Player (I think that's where it was). Just a short paragraph about SRO, but it sounded interesting so I picked it up. Loved it and TDS. I keep trying to turn on friends to the music, but have been failing until recently. I just heard GGB a couple days ago and I can't stop playing it. Gonna have to go back and buy the albums I've missed.. Love the keyboard addition.

Anyhow, there's just some great stuff on GGB. Some is a bit more country then I usually listen to, but I still enjoy it. Go-go boots is a great jam, love the slide tone. Everybody needs love reminds me a bit of early 70's Todd Rundgren - that Philly Soul sound. Used to be a Cop is one of my favorites (That change at 'used to play football' kicks ass) but Mercy Buckets is my favorite. Wow I love that tune.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

As I was listening to GGB in the car last night, I realized that an initial fear about the album was gone.

After TBTD came out, and knowing that it was recorded more or less at the same time as GGB, I was afraid that the two albums were going to be one of those "one good record worth of material spread over two albums" that often happens when two records come out of one session.

I feel like TBTD has hits and misses (though we all disagree on what those are), but GGB is rock solid top to bottom.

In other words, my fears were allayed.....not a weak track on this record
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Welcome, Toke!

Yep, GGB is a solid album. I know Patterson has written many times that he puts a lot of thought into the sequence of the tracks. I have to say it really shows with this album. I feel that each track flows just right into the next, top to bottom.

When our friends asked us what we wanted for Christmas, we didn't hesitate, we asked for the extra super deluxe package of GGB, with all the bells and whistles. I can't wait for it to come in, we have great friends who got us just that. :D
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I put GGB's down for a few days while I listened to some old Bob Seeger, especially the stuff he recorded at Muscle Shoals. Then I came back to GGB. I am really loving this album and can't wait for the vinyl. The only cut I am not too keen on is "Assholes". Kind of like eavesdropping on someone else's argument.

I've become a huge fan of Jay with this album. He reminds me a lot of Benmont Tench. He can play great parts without stepping on the guitars and, believe me, in a six piece band that is really hard. I always tell the guys in my bands that rock and roll is the guitar player's revenge for jazz. With jazz the piano is the basic instrument while guitars were relatively superfluous. I found that the only way I could have good keyboard parts was if I wrote the songs myself. But Jay is absolutely fantastic and has a knack for coming up with the perfect part.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

RevMatt wrote:I put GGB's down for a few days while I listened to some old Bob Seeger, especially the stuff he recorded at Muscle Shoals. Then I came back to GGB. I am really loving this album and can't wait for the vinyl. The only cut I am not too keen on is "Assholes". Kind of like eavesdropping on someone else's argument.

I've become a huge fan of Jay with this album. He reminds me a lot of Benmont Tench. He can play great parts without stepping on the guitars and, believe me, in a six piece band that is really hard. I always tell the guys in my bands that rock and roll is the guitar player's revenge for jazz. With jazz the piano is the basic instrument while guitars were relatively superfluous. I found that the only way I could have good keyboard parts was if I wrote the songs myself. But Jay is absolutely fantastic and has a knack for coming up with the perfect part.

He definitely has a pop sensibility that isnt' as overt as with the rest of the guys (&gal) - he also has almost a cinematic quality of playing something that fits perfect to the "theme" of the song even if it's not what a layman would choose, if that makes sense.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

Toke wrote:Hey all,
I'm new here, wanted to say hi. I've been a DBT fan since I saw a blurb in Guitar Player (I think that's where it was). Just a short paragraph about SRO, but it sounded interesting so I picked it up. Loved it and TDS. I keep trying to turn on friends to the music, but have been failing until recently. I just heard GGB a couple days ago and I can't stop playing it. Gonna have to go back and buy the albums I've missed.. Love the keyboard addition.

Anyhow, there's just some great stuff on GGB. Some is a bit more country then I usually listen to, but I still enjoy it. Go-go boots is a great jam, love the slide tone. Everybody needs love reminds me a bit of early 70's Todd Rundgren - that Philly Soul sound. Used to be a Cop is one of my favorites (That change at 'used to play football' kicks ass) but Mercy Buckets is my favorite. Wow I love that tune.

I really like the part in used to be a cop where he says, "I'm paying for a house that that bitch lives in now". It is almost like he pauses for you to soak that line up...I love it.

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

WELCOME Toke....rock on!!!~ 8-)
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

hendooman wrote:

I really like the part in used to be a cop where he says, "I'm paying for a house that that bitch lives in now". It is almost like he pauses for you to soak that line up...I love it.

In Richmond all the guys paying alimony and child support stood up and cheered that line. I shouted out for sure, in front of my son. Little did we know that the guy in the song is contemplating killing the bitch and the kids.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

RevMatt wrote:
hendooman wrote:

In Richmond all the guys paying alimony and child support stood up and cheered that line. I shouted out for sure, in front of my son. Little did we know that the guy in the song is contemplating killing the bitch and the kids.

Thats kick ass, I bet that line will continue to grow in popularity as the album comes out. Its a showstopper for sure.

Clams

Post by Clams »

The song Goodbye has a Go Go Boots sound to it.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

How'd this drop to half way down the 2d page?

Anyway, listed in "bestselling" order, GGB is first on Amazon's pre-order list for 2/15 releases. It's also $8.99.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Is this thread also for reviews? If so, here's one from Raleigh News & Observer music writer David Menconi which he penned for Spin. Apologies if this particular review has already been posted here or in another thread, I've been trying to steer clear of anything about the new record other than the Go Go Boots episodes.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

A sales guy from one of our vendors came in today and took me, my boss and infamous coworker to lunch. Sales guy is a music fan and somehow DBT came up in conversation. He said that he had heard of DBT for years but had never heard them until this morning when WXRT (a legendary Chicago rock station, not quite as good as it used to be but still great) played Used To Be a Cop. Sales guy was blown away. Going to make him a 6 or 8 song sampler and really blow his mind and give him a recommended buy list. I love hawking DBT to receptive listeners.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

joelle

Post by joelle »

RevMatt wrote:[in used to be a cop where he says, "I'm paying for a house that that bitch lives in now". It is almost like he pauses for you to soak that line up...I love it.

um
i am not a close reader
i am also a little drunk
but
ummm
i love used to be a cop
i feel i have listened to it at length many times

umm
i don't get this.
he wants to kill the bitch?
i mean he is lost, fucked up, good man gone bad
seen a lot of things
marriage gone bad...shakes, etc
but are you inferring this or am i missing it.
ps
i am slightly inebriated as i type this

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

joelle wrote:
RevMatt wrote:[in used to be a cop where he says, "I'm paying for a house that that bitch lives in now". It is almost like he pauses for you to soak that line up...I love it.

um
i am not a close reader
i am also a little drunk
but
ummm
i love used to be a cop
i feel i have listened to it at length many times

umm
i don't get this.
he wants to kill the bitch?
i mean he is lost, fucked up, good man gone bad
seen a lot of things
marriage gone bad...shakes, etc
but are you inferring this or am i missing it.
ps
i am slightly inebriated as i type this

I don't think it ever actually spells out what happens....although those hard crashes Patterson gives toward the end do remind me of multiple gun shots... If it were a movie, I would imagine the scene to fade to black the come back on a news report/ house w/ crime tape/ detectives, etc....going on.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Clams

Post by Clams »

it starts at about the 5:20 mark of Used to be a Cop... guitar fury

Clams

Post by Clams »

I love all the long, slow and twangy guitar notes and slides on this record. The guitar players are all very restrained and take their time. Love it.

mwh

Post by mwh »

I knew this was going to be a good record about 5 seconds in. That 3rd "I do believe" seemed so over the top to me. Most bands, I think, would have left it at 2 repititions. That 3rd time seemed so wonderfully awkward, almost like a stutter. All these albums later and they still surprise me within the first few seconds. I think this is a very strong Patterson album. Everybody Needs Love is a song that I wasn't sure I'd like, but ended up being one of my favorites so far. Ray's, Thanksgiving Filter, Mercy Buckets - all great. With that said, it isn't my favorite Cooley record. Not yet anyway, but Pulaski is growing on me and I'm sure the others will too. All in all, another great one.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Patterson owns this record, but Cooley's contributions are sneaky good.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Monty610

Post by Monty610 »

cortez the killer wrote:Patterson owns this record, but Cooley's contributions are sneaky good.

Agree on the Patterson. "Pulaski" is one of Cooley's best songs, period. Can't believe he's been sitting on that for so many years. I think I have a recording of him doing it in '04(?). I'm not as sold on "Cartoon Gold" or "Weakest Man". Don't get me wrong, it's Cooley, so it's good. Just not as great as his contributions to other records IMHO..

Clams

Post by Clams »

cortez the killer wrote:Patterson owns this record, but Cooley's contributions are sneaky good.

well said

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

I don't know, the Cooley songs were instant with me. Some of the slower, longer Patterson songs took repeated listens to really sink into my brain. But this album is sequenced perfect and I don't find myself skipping to the next songs as much. I love it loud in the car.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

This is the most purposefully nuanced album they've ever done. It feels like every creak of a guitar string, every variant in rhythm, fucking EVERYTHING was intentional. They knew damn well what they were doing. I've never gotten that vibe from one of their records. There was some sense of accident, which was awesome in a totally different way.

Oh, this is a good thing, by the way.