Athens Running Thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Athens Running Thread

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

http://www.athensgreenway.com/

It is 1.16 miles from the Courtyard Marriott to the North Oconee River Greenway park. Once there, we will have a 3.5 mile linear park along the North Oconee River open for all types of non-motorized uses. If I understand correctly, and it is not a loop, then from hotel to trail end and back to hotel would be 9.32 miles. I'm supposed to do 10 and I'm usually really compulsive about mileage, but since it is DBT week and all, we could do that and call it a day.

My 10-mile is scheduled for Saturday, but I really think I should try to run it early Friday morning and get that sucker out of the way so I could sleep in a little Saturday morning and be fresh for the LONG day of fun.

What do y'all think?

I only have to run 5 miles on Thursday and there is a 5-mail run through campus on Broad/Milledge that looks to be mainly sidewalks. It is on MapMyRun if y'all want to check it out. It would be great if Erdlivz could weigh in as a local and tell us if these are good courses.
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-states/ga/athens/292965506
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

Penny Lane

Re: Athens Running Thread

Post by Penny Lane »

I will try to do it either morning you want to..
oh and i haven't run in 2 months, don't worry, i am slooooowwww
In my blood, there's gasoline..

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Hey Lurleen. Long as we're not talking too too early in the morning, I'll get in on this with ya. Gonna have to work off those PBR's. ;)

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Since he did that half marathon last year in Athens, I am sure Mark will be up for it.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Lurleen McQueen

Cool. Why don't we go ahead and confirm that we will run 5 miles on Thursday morning and 10 miles on Friday morning.

Now that I'm middle-aged, I really do like to get my sleep. If we get to bed around 3:00 a.m., let's shoot for at least 6 hours of sleep and run at 9:00 a.m. How does that feel for everyone???

I can print out maps of the course.

Let's all meet in the lobby of the Courtyard Marriott at 9:00 a.m. on Thursday, January 13th and Friday, January 14th. We can start with a few stretches and if you aren't there by 9:10 a.m., we'll see ya when we get back. How does that sound?

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

sounds great! thanks, Lurleen...

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

Big Tom and I made a run every morning after the shows last year. We started out west from the courtyard towards Pulaski and made our way approximately 6 miles to Bojangles. And we did it in a car. Those tea and biscuits will fix you up real fast. Maybe I should start a run to Bojangles thread.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

is Bojangles like a KFC?

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

Penny Lane wrote:is Bojangles like a KFC?

If diamonds are like cubic zirconias.

Bojangles biscuits are amazing.
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

Creaky bones and all... I'm in for some. Shoot, I should bring my bike for the ten. :)
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I like the relay idea. I'll do the first or last 10 yards.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

I like this idea. 10 miles isn't going to happen for me. 3-5 perhaps. It also depends on my bed time the previous nights/mornings.

Lurleen McQueen

Cubfan06 wrote:I like this idea. 10 miles isn't going to happen for me. 3-5 perhaps. It also depends on my bed time the previous nights/mornings.

No worries on the 10 y'all - it's just what I've got to do for my training schedule. It would be nice to have company for a portion of it.

Everyone take care of themselves, run at your own comfortable pace and do your own preferred distance. As for the sleep, maybe we could all take disco naps after. :oops: Ok, just realized how that sounded. Everyone can take their own individual nap on their own individual pallet. :lol: :lol: Not suggesting a group 3dd track club nap. lol
I'm feeling the need for yet another 3dd shirt for the runners. Run drunk. Run nekked. Just Run.

I'll leave that up to the more creative types.

Frank

Post by Frank »

A slight word of warning about the Sandy Creek/Greenway trail. Part of the trail is right beside and very close in height to the river, and so if there has been a lot of rain even a week or so before you want to run, there will be at least a lot of puddles and at worst, some flooding. There is one part in particular that i have seen two feet under water. Just keep it in mind depending on the weather leading up to the shows and don't assume that it will be completely passable.

Also, don't forget that classes are in session and depending on the time, there could be a lot of students walking through campus on some of the same sidewalks the MapMyRun course has laid out.

I'm not trying to put you off of either run, the campus course is very nice, just be aware that there could be a lot of students about.

Frank

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I'm really impressed that people would even contemplate running in the somewhat early A.M. the morning after a rock show.
Keep calm and have a cigar

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Anyone know of any Athens golf cart rentals? I could handle that.

Lurleen McQueen

sactochris wrote:I'm really impressed that people would even contemplate running in the somewhat early A.M. the morning after a rock show.

I think it helps a little bit that I don't smoke or drink. My only downfall will be standing on the rail in high heels for hours and serious lack of sleep.

acoxofrd

Post by acoxofrd »

I won't be around for Thursday but depending on the time I would be up for the 10 mile either Friday or Saturday depending on when you want to go. I'm trying to get ready for the Mercedes Half in Feb. so a run would be great if you don't mind an extra person around.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Lurleen McQueen wrote:
sactochris wrote:I'm really impressed that people would even contemplate running in the somewhat early A.M. the morning after a rock show.

I think it helps a little bit that I don't smoke or drink. My only downfall will be standing on the rail in high heels for hours and serious lack of sleep.

To be honest, I have never understood running. It takes such a toll on your body. Bikeing gives you the same workout benefits as jogging and is non impact, unless of course you crash. Swiming works every muscle group and It's also non impact.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Lurleen McQueen

acoxofrd wrote:I won't be around for Thursday but depending on the time I would be up for the 10 mile either Friday or Saturday depending on when you want to go. I'm trying to get ready for the Mercedes Half in Feb. so a run would be great if you don't mind an extra person around.

Love to have you. Especially on the Friday 10. We will leave the Marriott Courtyard on Finley at 5 minutes after 9:00 a.m. Send me your name and cell in a p.m. if you don't mind.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Lurleen McQueen wrote:

Skip the heels, go for comfort!
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Lurleen McQueen

CooleyGirl wrote:
Lurleen McQueen wrote:

Skip the heels, go for comfort!

You know, sometimes a girl just needs a little lift. Maybe I'll put my running shoe inserts in my boots! :lol:

Clams

Post by Clams »

Getting up and out the door ain't always easy. But if you can pull it off, there's no better way to clear out the cobwebs and get the hangover out of your system.

sactochris wrote:To be honest, I have never understood running. It takes such a toll on your body. Bikeing gives you the same workout benefits as jogging and is non impact, unless of course you crash. Swiming works every muscle group and It's also non impact.

Running is just easier. You don't need a pool or a bike or anything really. Just get dressed, put on your shoes, and out the door.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Lurleen McQueen

So, let's call roll...

Penny Lane
Lurleen McQueen
Maluca
Uncle Rickey
Erdlivz
Clams
Cubfan06
acoxofrd
Clams

Am I missing anyone?

BigTom and MarkLynn driving behind picking up stragglers and giving out Bojangles biscuits like a pedophile gives out candy.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

You've got clams twice and he's not even gonna be there at all. I guess u figure u can always run faster than a legless bivalve. :lol:

Plus u forgot me, doing the last 10 yard relay thing.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

this is motivating me to run now...
made a new playlist already full of all kinds of good stuff.
i've taken off 2 months so we'll see where that leaves me.

so the 10 miler is set for Friday now?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

wow, people actually run ten miles?
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Lurleen McQueen

Penny Lane wrote:this is motivating me to run now...
made a new playlist already full of all kinds of good stuff.
i've taken off 2 months so we'll see where that leaves me.

so the 10 miler is set for Friday now?

yep = we don't want to wear ourselves out for Saturday -- too much going on that day

Lurleen McQueen

beantownbubba wrote:You've got clams twice and he's not even gonna be there at all. I guess u figure u can always run faster than a legless bivalve. :lol:

Plus u forgot me, doing the last 10 yard relay thing.

Wow - okay delete the clams and add the btb bringing us in for the home stretch

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Lurleen McQueen wrote:So, let's call roll...

Penny Lane
Lurleen McQueen
Maluca
Uncle Rickey
Erdlivz
Clams
Cubfan06
acoxofrd
Clams

Am I missing anyone?

BigTom and MarkLynn driving behind picking up stragglers and giving out Bojangles biscuits like a pedophile gives out candy.

I'd really like to join up. Friday will be my day. I'm airport bound Thursday morning. I may need someone to pull me out of bed and down the stairs because over the last three years Thursday night was the "baby deer legs" night for me.