Go Go Boots Episodes 1

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

sactochris

Re: Go Go Boots Episodes 1

Post by sactochris »

RevMatt wrote:Think The Velvet Underground's song "The Gift." Same sort of song. Story told over a groove.

Poor, poor Waldo.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

wouldnt trim shit off of BTCD.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

sactochris wrote:Poor, poor Waldo.

:lol:
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

Smitty wrote:wouldnt trim shit off of BTCD.

what he said ^^^^
If you don't run you rust

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I'm with Smitty on this one. One of the things that I liked the most about BTCD was the very fact that it was so far reaching and expansive. It's also a good record to pop someones DBT cherry with. I think all the different moods and feelings expressed on the album give new fans a chance to sort of, try out all the flavors. It covers a lot of ground, and does so very smoothly; like a big V8 engine.
Keep calm and have a cigar

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

sactochris wrote:

It covers a lot of ground, and does so very smoothly; like a big V8 engine.

Now some folks say it's too big
and uses too much gas
Some folks say it's too old
and that it goes too fast...

let's party in your pink cadillac!!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

RevMatt wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:long live the wig.

But it doesn't fit into a traditional song structure. And it kind of meanders and all.

Think The Velvet Underground's song "The Gift." Same sort of song. Story told over a groove.

Funny you should make that comparison as the first time I played Angels & Fuselage for some friends one of them mentioned that it reminded him of Lou Reed. I alway get a kick out of others' first impressions of DBT. Well, except for someone (online) that said they reminded them of Train (this would have been around the time of Decoration Day). That was downright insulting but it also showed the breadth of their musical tastes.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Oh, I know I'm in the minority regarding BTCD, but I'm alright with that. I still think that the 10 song album I proposed would just blow the doors off. I skip a higher percentage of tracks on BTCD than any other DBT album.

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Go listen to Foo Fighters.

BTCD is a stone cold classic.

The murder-preacher themes might be similar, but listen to the music. There is a lot of shit going on in there. Guitars are killing it. Jay is flexing his muscles too.

Go Go Boots is going to kick all kinds of ass. I can't wait.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Iowan wrote:Oh, I know I'm in the minority regarding BTCD, but I'm alright with that. I still think that the 10 song album I proposed would just blow the doors off. I skip a higher percentage of tracks on BTCD than any other DBT album.

Well, it's a decent BTCD sampler, almost an EP compared to the album! But, woah, no Opening Act or Monument Valley? Have you no soul, my friend? Two of Patterson's deepest and most heartfelt songs ever.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Despite go go boots and fireplace poker being about the same murder, they come at it from very different angles. In true Patterson style, we get to hear the murderers point if view as well....
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Double post
Last edited by Zip City on Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nice, zip.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

lotusamerica wrote:
Iowan wrote:Oh, I know I'm in the minority regarding BTCD, but I'm alright with that. I still think that the 10 song album I proposed would just blow the doors off. I skip a higher percentage of tracks on BTCD than any other DBT album.

Well, it's a decent BTCD sampler, almost an EP compared to the album! But, woah, no Opening Act or Monument Valley? Have you no soul, my friend? Two of Patterson's deepest and most heartfelt songs ever.

I was going to say exactly that. Some days those two are in my top 5 on the record.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

I was ready to give Zip props for hammering home his point about the redundancy of including two songs about the same subject on the album, and then he goes and admits it was simply a case of "double posting."

* Disclaimer - I love Patterson's murder ballad obsession and think it looks good on him. I find no redundancy in the inclusion of both "Go-Go Boots" and the wonderful "The Fireplace Poker."
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

cortez the killer wrote:I was ready to give Zip props for hammering home his point about the redundancy of including two songs about the same subject on the album

No you weren't :lol:

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

"Daddy Needs a Drink" & "The Opening Act" are my top 2 tracks off BTCD
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:Double post

Goddamn zip, way to make me look like a shumuck. I suspected u weren't being that subtle and i was pretty sure u weren't being that clever, but i gave u the benefit of the doubt, and then u went and fucked me. :evil: :lol:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

cortez the killer wrote:I was ready to give Zip props for hammering home his point about the redundancy of including two songs about the same subject on the album, and then he goes and admits it was simply a case of "double posting."

x10

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

When I reach out and skip "Bob" (which I do quite often) I usually skip "Home Field Advantage" (much better live), too. In both songs I metaphor I didn't like.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:
Zip City wrote:Double post

Goddamn zip, way to make me look like a shumuck. I suspected u weren't being that subtle and i was pretty sure u weren't being that clever, but i gave u the benefit of the doubt, and then u went and fucked me. :evil: :lol:

Giving me the benefit if the doubt was your downfall :lol:

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

BTCD is a true double album in the tradition of Exile and Zen Arcade. A person can make a strong argument that both The Stones and The Huskers would have put out stronger albums if those two were two sided affairs. But that misses the point. There are weaker tracks on Exile and Zen which would be regarded as filler. However, they fit the overall mood of those albums and enhance them.

There are songs on BTCD that I don't like as much as the others. "The Man I Shot" has never been a favorite of mine. Neither has "Goode's Field Road" but I never skip them. Among the Cooley songs, many people complain about "Bob" which is probably the most controversial song in the entire DBT canon. (Pretty ironic that a band which has given us songs about incest -- "The Deeper In" -- and child molestation -- "Bulldozers and Dirt" -- would have as their most controversial a song about a man who appears to be completely celibate and prefers the company of dogs to the company of humans.)

We are probably going to have debates here over whether or not DBT should have just combined the best songs from TBTD and GGB to make a single album. But debates like that are what makes being a music fan so great. People debate whether The White Album should have been a single album, whether The Beatles should have let Phil Spector mix Let it Be, released the album without overdubs or just let the tapes rot in a vault somewhere, making Abbey Road their final statement. We will debate whether or not "Reoccuring Dreams" is musical masturbation or unmasks the ultimate truth that the hardcore underground was really not that all different from their stoner counterparts. (All the stems and seeds in the gatefolds of Zen Arcade is, to my eyes, evidence enough that the kids in Doc Martins and shaved heads were not that different from the hippies in Tie Dye shirts and love beads fifteen years earlier. Just young kids waving their freak flag high.) Was Captain Beefheart's Unconditionally Guaranteed an attempt at a sellout or was he trying to do to soul what he'd already done to the blues? Is Louded really a Velvet Underground album without Moe Tucker on drums? And what Neil Young? We can spend an entire decade arguing over his artistic choices.

Great bands always give their fans controversy and debates. It is because bands follow their muse and alone are responsible for their artistic decisions. Drive By Truckers are no different than any other great band in rock and roll history.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

The same argument is also often made about Cold Roses when in reality that album could have easily have fit on one CD. He separated it into two discs purely for aesthetic reasons, so it would resemble the packaging of a vinyl record. Either way, it doesn't stop me from skipping over certain tracks. The Truckers felt like there was nothing they could strip away from Brighter Than Creation's Dark. Yeah, maybe it works as an expansive double record but it also doesn't stop me from skipping over certain songs or more accurately, just not listening to it as much as other Truckers records.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Every DBT album has potential skipover tracks. GB has "The Tough Sell". PD has "The President's Penis is Missing". SRO has "Moved" (which isn't even on the vinyl). DD has, well some people don't like "I Know Your Daddy Hates Me." TDS has "The Buford Stick". I don't want to even open up the ABAAC can of worms. BTCD has songs mentioned in this thread. On TBTD, a lot of people don't like "Eyes Like Glue" or "Wig".

But we can say that about almost every great album. I don't particularly like "She's Leaving Home", "Just Wanna See His Face", "Androgynous", "Revolution 9", "Here, There and Everywhere", "Turn On The News", "Les Boys" or "Joy". But every one of those albums ranks on my list as the best albums ever.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

RevMatt wrote:some people don't like "I Know Your Daddy Hates Me."

These are people I don't understand ;)

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

So, back to the video. Anyone else surprised how good Cooley's legs look in those boots?
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I've actually turned my opinion on the murder-preacher themes based on the live versions of the songs on GGB. Fireplace Poker is just killer, and Go-Go-Boots has a lot going on sonically. Patterson really put some more twists into these songs, too. Very thought provoking, and gripping even on multiple listens. I think that GGB is going to be a stone cold classic. Can't wait to hear the studio cuts.

I guess maybe I don't "get" BTCD like everyone else does. I've enjoyed all of the tracks on that album, but some of them require that I really be in a certain mood to enjoy them. There's a handful of them I can listen to any time, any day. They're the ones that made my "cut" from earlier. I celebrate this band's entire catalog, and those songs (that didn't make the cut) feel like they lack something that I rarely miss on other albums.

Clams

Post by Clams »

So did someone say that Go Go Boots and Fireplace Poker are based on the same story? Is that true?
If you don't run you rust

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:So did someone say that Go Go Boots and Fireplace Poker are based on the same story? Is that true?

Patterson gives that impression in the video.

I can definitely see where it could be.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:So did someone say that Go Go Boots and Fireplace Poker are based on the same story? Is that true?

Not sure if serious