Two night stand, 9:30 Club in DC: 2/18-19

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Maluca3

Re: Two night stand, 9:30 Club in DC: 2/18-19

Post by Maluca3 »

meanjoegreen wrote:
Im ready for Round two! Whos in? - Neighbor, are you in? (again....) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm going to the shows but will be DDing it up.
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Jeez the DC shows are turning into Athens Redux or something...

3 weeks!
In my blood, there's gasoline..

09Gamecock

Post by 09Gamecock »

DancingRicky wrote:I wanna go but I have no one willing to go with me and DC is too scary for a young woman from a small town lol....

Don't let that stop you from going! Lots of good DBT fans who would make sure you stay safe. Don't know if you had any tentative plans, or would be staying in DC, but if so, I'd be glad to accompany you to the shows. I may or may not be travelling solo (friend in grad school isn't sure if he can make the trek up from SC yet), so I don't have any set itinerary. I'll likely just be milling around the city and/or getting some dinner/drinks at a bar before the shows. I always love chatting it up and getting to know fellow DBT fans, so let me know if you want to make the trip!

BTW, are you from a small town in the Virginia area?

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

The area around the 9:30 Club isn't that bad anymore. I think I've said it before, but anyplace that has a Starbucks around the corner probably isn't that bad. I don't know anyone who has been mugged or whatever around the club.

Van

Post by Van »

Flying Rabbit wrote:The area around the 9:30 Club isn't that bad anymore. I think I've said it before, but anyplace that has a Starbucks around the corner probably isn't that bad. I don't know anyone who has been mugged or whatever around the club.

I think three people got shot around there last year.

09Gamecock

Post by 09Gamecock »

Flying Rabbit wrote:The area around the 9:30 Club isn't that bad anymore. I think I've said it before, but anyplace that has a Starbucks around the corner probably isn't that bad. I don't know anyone who has been mugged or whatever around the club.

It depends on the degree of bad you want to consider. It's not like a 24-7 gang war zone or something -- you won't confuse it for Anacostia -- but it's not exactly a great area, either. I don't really get phased by grimier areas, but it does make sense to be careful and aware of your surroundings. Certainly no reason to loiter around that area too much after the show.

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

The year Patterson had pneumonia I left the line and went wandering around for 30 minutes or so looking for a place to buy a card for line people to sign. Lady solo, walking around, dark. No worries.
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

I guess I'm just attuned to it.

As for the shootings, it wasn't a random incident. It was a pre-determined "hit".

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

Penny Lane wrote:Jeez the DC shows are turning into Athens Redux or something...

3 weeks!

We didn't make Athens but hope we won't be shunned for that. See you in DC

Hoodrat

Post by Hoodrat »

DancingRicky wrote:I wanna go but I have no one willing to go with me and DC is too scary for a young woman from a small town lol....

i am a not-exactly-young woman originally from a small town, i now live in the immediate vicinity of the 930 club, and i think you should go. i have never regretted a Truckers show and have only occasionally regretted a night out in DC. i'm not around but i'm certain you can look out for yourself and meet some charming 3dd folks too.

i'm bummed this set of shows is happening when i have a vacation i've been planning for months. alas, i'll miss this round.

also, for my money the best ethiopian in the area is not meskerem but etete (conveniently located about a block from 930), a truly amazing place. however, dinner at etete tends to induce serious food coma; so i'm not sure i recommend it for pre-show eats. Nelly's (next door or nearly) is a gay english sports bar with excellent eats and good happy hour specials. i always tell people to avoid duffys if you're looking for food, but it conveniently located across the street from the club, the staff are friendly, and the drinks are reasonable.

i'm not sure why folks act like my hood is the heart of darkness. it's urban, to be sure, but don't go stumbling around neighborhoods you don't know in the middle of the night alone, and you'll be fine. also, don't leave any valuables in your car.

Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

If you don't already have tickets, better get them soon, sounds like.

http://www.930.com/forum/index.php?topic=21242.0

mike28212

Post by mike28212 »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:If you don't already have tickets, better get them soon, sounds like.

http://www.930.com/forum/index.php?topic=21242.0

Thanks for the heads up on this. I'm still hoping to make it for Saturday's show. Just got to see how things shake out. Damn unexpected car expenses.
"I'm zipping through the days at lightning speed."

Monty610

Post by Monty610 »

Prof

Post by Prof »

mrs.clauskimono

Post by mrs.clauskimono »

so, can anyone give a description of the 930 Club venue.....?
Love, Peace, & Hood's Hair Grease.

Monty610

Post by Monty610 »

mrs.clauskimono wrote:so, can anyone give a description of the 930 Club venue.....?

Laid out similar to The 40-Watt. Roughly the same size. Bathrooms are in the back, and if you gotta go during the show, forget about making it back up front...

Flea

Post by Flea »

This weekend has to hurry up and arrive, 'cause I need a Rawk Show like a crack ho needs her next fix
Now it's dark.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Monty610 wrote:
mrs.clauskimono wrote:so, can anyone give a description of the 930 Club venue.....?

Laid out similar to The 40-Watt. Roughly the same size. Bathrooms are in the back, and if you gotta go during the show, forget about making it back up front...

It's got a balcony and holds more people than Athens (I think). Good sound, but a lot of preppy chatter during the quieter numbers.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Monty610

Post by Monty610 »

Slipkid42 wrote:
Monty610 wrote:

It's got a balcony and holds more people than Athens (I think). Good sound, but a lot of preppy chatter during the quieter numbers.

I've only been there one time (my first DBT show), so I was riffing from memory. I remember the balcony, but I only thought it held bathrooms and another bar. I didn't know you could see the show from up there.

Oh hell...Wikipedia says it holds 1200. That's considerably bigger than 40-Watt. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9:30_Club

Never mind me, I have no idea what I'm talking about. :oops:

09Gamecock

Post by 09Gamecock »

Well, it's a completely open, rectangular room that has a capacity of 1200. It has a wrap-around balcony, but it's not a deep balcony. Definitely holds a limited number of people. I will say that at full capacity, it's truly elbows and assholes. Have fun trying to go get a beer or take a piss, then make it back to your spot. Plus, the layout of the entrance/exit absolutely sucks. It gets incredibly backed up trying to get out after the show. On top of only a couple doors to exit through, the merchandise area is right in the way of everyone's path out of there. People standing in line to buy something are right in the way.

To be perfectly honest, I like the place a whole lot more for the shows it books than the actual venue itself. Because it gets so goddamn crowded and has zero slope to the floor, it's probably my least favorite venue where I've seen the Truckers. The kicker is that they play the 9:30 Club harder and louder than just about anywhere else, so you'll get an amazing show. Bottom line, it's a room with minimal bells and whistles and very expensive alcohol. You won't love the place, but you'll still leave with a smile on your face because of DBT.

On another note, I would say the DC crowd leaves something to be desired, but, really, the crowd at most every DBT show these days leaves a lot to be desired. It's a goddamn shame that audience members aren't more respectful of the band. Venues like booking DBT because their "fans" buy a lot of alcohol, but this does not make for a particularly stellar crowd experience for the folks just there to hear great music. Just try to watch out for the elbow throwers and people shaking their drink around above their head. Also, if the band wants to go ahead and start the set with Zip City and Sinkhole, we might be able to hear a lot less annoying yelling between songs!

So there you have it. Hopefully you'll be fortunate enough to nestle in between some good DBT fans and focus on two nights of great music!

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

The balcony has much easier bathroom & liquor access & is easy to exit from. Good view & sound up there as well. If you don't intend to get to the front, then it is the best alternative. Of course it is hard for Patterson to pass you the bottle of Jack up there, but sometimes concessions have to be made.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Monty610

Post by Monty610 »

mrs.clauskimono

09Gamecock wrote:

Well, it's a completely open, rectangular room that has a capacity of 1200. It has a wrap-around balcony, but it's not a deep balcony. Definitely holds a limited number of people. I will say that at full capacity, it's truly elbows and assholes. Have fun trying to go get a beer or take a piss, then make it back to your spot. Plus, the layout of the entrance/exit absolutely sucks. It gets incredibly backed up trying to get out after the show. On top of only a couple doors to exit through, the merchandise area is right in the way of everyone's path out of there. People standing in line to buy something are right in the way.

To be perfectly honest, I like the place a whole lot more for the shows it books than the actual venue itself. Because it gets so goddamn crowded and has zero slope to the floor, it's probably my least favorite venue where I've seen the Truckers. The kicker is that they play the 9:30 Club harder and louder than just about anywhere else, so you'll get an amazing show. Bottom line, it's a room with minimal bells and whistles and very expensive alcohol. You won't love the place, but you'll still leave with a smile on your face because of DBT.

On another note, I would say the DC crowd leaves something to be desired, but, really, the crowd at most every DBT show

these days leaves a lot to be desired. It's a goddamn shame that audience members aren't more respectful of the band.

Venues like booking DBT because their "fans" buy a lot of alcohol, but this does not make for a particularly stellar crowd experience for the folks just there to hear great music. Just try to watch out for the elbow throwers and people shaking their drink around above their head. Also, if the band wants to go ahead and start the set with Zip City and Sinkhole, we might be able to hear a lot less annoying yelling between songs!

So there you have it. Hopefully you'll be fortunate enough to nestle in between some good DBT fans and focus on two nights of great music!

thanks

mrs.clauskimono

Monty610 wrote:Image

niiiiiiiiiiiiiice

mrs.clauskimono

Saturday ..........930 Club.........sold out

Clams

Post by Clams »

Just bought 2 for Friday night... putting the final pieces in place for the Mrs and me to make the trip. :)
If you don't run you rust

Monty610

Post by Monty610 »

Right on Clams! See ya there...

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Clams wrote:Just bought 2 for Friday night... putting the final pieces in place for the Mrs and me to make the trip. :)

You wouldn't tease me, would you!?
I'm going to try to stay somewhat sober now! CLAMSSSS is coming..Hammer!
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Monty610

Post by Monty610 »

Posting from my phone & don'tg have a pic, but I just wanted to say...

ELEVEN DAYS MOTHERFUCKERS!!!

Clams

Post by Clams »

How easy (or hard) will it be to catch a cab at the 9:30 Club after the show?
If you don't run you rust