Athens January 13, 14 & 15 2011

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Dave

Re: Athens January 13, 14 & 15 2011

Post by Dave »

"...five generations, an unlocked door, and a loaded burglar alarm.."

"...them unemployment blues are wearing out your houseshoes..."

"...one day's going to be i told you so..."

"...it's like a dead end and the road map is useless.."

Dave

Post by Dave »

"...sitting at a bar in LA after dark with my sunglasses on..."

"...moonbeams we can dream on..."

Dave

Post by Dave »

"...can you tell me how to tell how to tell when I've had enough..."

"...one each for my immediate family..."

"...a bloody nose, empty pockets..."

Dave

Post by Dave »

"...I'm drunk and stubborn as they come.."

"...baby every bone in my body's jumping..."

Dave

Post by Dave »

"...she ain't revved 'till the rods are thrown..."

"...which one's the birthday boy..."

Dave

Post by Dave »

"...meanwhile in north Alabama..."

"...come back baby, rock and roll never forgets..."

"...Peterbuilt, Peterbuilt..."

Dave

Post by Dave »

"...and the young ones all turn to Kareoke..."

"...and I never saw Lynrd Skynnrd..."

And that's the end of the main set. The band is on fire (as they've been all weekend). It's much hotter and sweatier tonight, but the band is just as fired up. Encore should be amazing.

Not much silliness up front, but there has been pushing and shoving behind.

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

Showin me up with the song quotes. Nice!
:twisted:

Dave

Post by Dave »

"...the thin blue line is all that saved me..."

Pulaski, TN (don't know the lyrics well enough yet)

"...I will bring you buckets of mercy..."

Dave

Post by Dave »

"...rock and role means well,'but just can't help telling young boys lies..."

(which is possibly the greatest line in rock)

"...as brand new set of golf clubs..."

"...died, died..."

And that's it. Great.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Wow, sounds awesome. Dave is the man!
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Goddamn it's great to be alive. What a weekend. That is all.

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

Life In The Factory
Uncle Frank
Ray's Automatic Weapon
When The Pin Hits The Shell
Sink Hole
Get Downtown
I Told You So
This Fucking Job
Cartoon Gold
Everybody Needs Love
Women Without Whiskey
Nine Bullets
Checkout Time In Vegas
The Living Bubba
A Ghost To Most
Heathens
Birthday Boy
Ronnie And Neil
3 Dimes Down
18 Wheels Of Love
Self Destructive Zones
Let There Be Rock

Encore:
Used To Be A Cop
Pulaski
Mercy Buckets
Marry Me
Shut Up And Get Your Ass On The Plane
People Who Died

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

Man, oh man, I loves me some Truckers and Truckers fans. Y'all are the best.
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

A most interesting, compelling night that raises the philosophical question, "is it possible to be routinely great?" It seems absurd, almost insulting and diminishing, but if you focus on the "great" half of the equation, i think it kinda sorta works. But just in case, let me be clear: the show was superb and exciting and i was totally swept up in it, w/ great energy, great playing and great crowd response throughout.

A culmination? Well, yes, obviously. But beyond the obviousness of it being the last nite of the homecoming run, it did have a little of a feel of summing up, if that's the right expression. I'm not sure that it is, but OTOH the set did feel somewhat like a career spanning, genre jumping musical journey and, i may be making this up but i think you could almost see the pride this band and its members have in themselves and what they've accomplished. OTOH, there was nothing obvious to grab on to, like the premiere complete playing of GGB on nite I, so maybe i'm not really describing this all that well.

The set ebbed and flowed, hitting multiple peaks, building towards each one and then edging away before building again. To me the peaks were Get Downtown, which has become an absolute tour de force over the past year, Women w/out Whiskey and Let There Be Rock, which may have resulted in the loudest i've ever heard an audience respond in a club setting, plus most of the encore, which started dialed back a notch but built swiftly to a continuous multi song crescendo ending w/ a super intense version of People Who Died (w/ D Barbe and Shonna switching guitar and bass, for you completists and detailists out there). The energy in the room at those peaks was enough to power the tennessee valley for at least a couple of days, i think.

A coronation? For sure. They had the crowd in the palms of their hands from the very first notes and the crowd willingly shouted hosannas, promised fealty, bowed before the onslaught and would have followed the band anywhere.

I don't know if I'm just feeling guilty for not saying much about them before or if they really turned it up a notch tonite, but to restate the obvious, the rhythm section just smokes and roars and cooks and manages to be both rock solid and lighter than air.

In addition to songs previously mentioned, I thought Uncle Frank, Living Bubba, This Fucking Job and Ronnie & Neil were stellar tonite. Mercy Buckets is an amazing song that gets better w/ each hearing: a love ballad that kicks serious rock n roll ass, but which is not a "power ballad."

The segue or combo of Living Bubba and Ghost to Most worked terrifically, i thought. In a similar but different vein, as they finished 9 Bullets, i was hoping they would launch straight into 3DD (which they didn't, but did play later).

Patterson was in political mode for a bit tonite making a few remarks about Reagan and policies towards the mentally ill.

Caught the end of the kids' set: Fantastic for their age, really impressive, but not something I'd pay to hear. David Barbe and the Quick Hooks were truly excellent, but i have to confess i wasn't truly focused on their music, i wanted my rock show and i wanted it right then! Patterson played guitar on the last 2 (i think) songs of their set.

Another thing i may be making up: From the 2 places i was at, the crowd seemed to be making a conscious effort to be courteous. Plenty of jostling and the usual drunken staggering and spillage, but a whole hell of a lot of "excuse me's" and "can i get by's" etc. And i'm saying that even tho a fight briefly broke out in front of me, resulting in some spillage on my new 3dd t shirt. As discussed above, it felt to me like the difference between to be expected rock show behavior and real assholery. The one guy i had marked from the beginning as a true douche came thru in fine style: His promise upon meeting one of the fine ladies of 3DD? "I'll rock your box." Patterson also made a couple of welcome remarks about crowd control/crowd behavior at well timed moments. The show was obviously sold out but there actually seemed to be just a few fewer bodies and that seemed to make a real difference in comfort level and ease of movement. It was also a late arriving crowd (that is, the back half, the front was of course there well in advance) presumably due to the Falcons football game.

A fantastic weekend in all respects, w/ the sole exception of the travel related difficulties getting here. Athens is a neat college town, the band was, as described repeatedly, just fantastic each and every night, the locals that i met were great and the people of 3DD were just plain ALSUM, i just wish i was able to meet everyone. If you've never made the trip, you need to start planning now to make it happen in the next couple of years.

Personal to the Lady of the Rock: You are indeed a rock goddess in all respects and I'd share my ribs w/ you anytime. :)

Personal to Lurleen McQueen: I would say u clean up nice, but that doesn't quite capture the dazzle and sizzle. :D
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

Jack Flash wrote:Life In The Factory
Uncle Frank
Ray's Automatic Weapon
When The Pin Hits The Shell
Sink Hole
Get Downtown
I Told You So
This Fucking Job
Cartoon Gold
Everybody Needs Love
Women Without Whiskey
Nine Bullets
Checkout Time In Vegas
The Living Bubba
A Ghost To Most
Heathens
Birthday Boy
Ronnie And Neil
3 Dimes Down
18 Wheels Of Love
Self Destructive Zones
Let There Be Rock

Encore:
Used To Be A Cop
Pulaski
Mercy Buckets
Marry Me
Shut Up And Get Your Ass On The Plane
People Who Died

Nice! Love the opening, Nine Bullets, 18 Wheels, Heathens, Checkout Time In Vegas!! (LOVE that song. One of my favorite Cooley numbers).

Thank you all for the updates. Can't wait to see when they return to europe so I can see if I can make it again. Bring on Go-Go Boots! Only month away.
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

Not much to add. I'm exhausted. What a weekend.

Y'all be safe heading home. To all I met, mucho gusto - to all I missed, next year!

I'm gonna sleep 'til Monday..

Dave

Post by Dave »

Well, four hours of sleep hasn't reduced the awesomeness of the past three days. Let me get some real sleep, and I'll try to say something coherent.

Good luck to everyone traveling today. Travel safe.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

off to the airport. get home safe folks
Always go to the show

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

well that was some by-god fun!

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Had a blast all 3 nights. Got to meet a whole lot of you good people (incl the elusive lateforchurch). Ravens meltdown had me down in the dumps, but not for long (I am damn near immune to sports tragedy, anymore). A board member whose name I couldn't hear, was sportin' a Steelers cap. He bought me a drink (which was classy). He further enhanced his credentials by tellin' me the Allman Bros. were his favorite band (after DBT I mean). Speakin' of DBT, they rocked my socks off (9 fuckin' Bullets). Gotta hit the road. Be careful everyone gettin' back (esp. you Jay).
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Josh F

Post by Josh F »

Very nice seeing everyone this weekend and enjoying the rock show together. I figured out this weekend that I've still got that little bit of crazy you must have to drive through the elements to get to the show...and it felt good. Amy and I laughed and talked the entire drive back to Atlanta after Thursday night's show about how much fun we had. Sounds like everyone else enjoyed themselves this weekend as well. I'm glad we skipped on Friday and Saturday, because Thursday night was perfect all the way around: Great music, good people, and little to no drunken shenanigans.

We made it back to Atlanta at 4 am after Thursday night's show and were up at 7:30 am celebrating our now 7 year old's birthday. We rocked on through the day, ate dinner at one of his favorite restaurants, and then he and I put together a 175 piece Lego Police Boat. Finally crashed about midnight that evening with a huge smile on my face knowing that I still had the rest of the weekend ahead of me and I was already as satisfied as I could be. And to top it off Widespread Panic announced 2 nights at Oak Mountain in April with the Charlie Daniels Band opening.

I'm truly blessed and again, it was awesome seeing everyone and meeting some new faces Thursday night. You people are great.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Well, I'm home in Little Rock, having actually gotten up in time for my 5:30 shuttle from the Daze. This was a truly great time, not only thanks to the band, the crew, and the 40 Watt staff, but also to the people I met, both 3DDers and sweet local folks. I'll write more later--don't want to be Late For Church.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

beantownbubba wrote:A most interesting, compelling night that raises the philosophical question, "is it possible to be routinely great?" It seems absurd, almost insulting and diminishing, but if you focus on the "great" half of the equation, i think it kinda sorta works. But just in case, let me be clear: the show was superb and exciting and i was totally swept up in it, w/ great energy, great playing and great crowd response throughout.

this reminds me of a review i once read about jerry lee live at star club. writer went on about the mad, possessed, manic, brilliant performance and questioned whether he was hearing the killer in a once in a lifetime/lightning in a bottle nite of greatness or if this is just what jerry lee sounded like at every gig.

this thread has been a blast to follow. thanks for all the commentary and insights. mad props to btb for his excellent ruminations. woodduck is a god and tracker is my new favorite american.

looks like an amazing run of shows.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

dime in the gutter wrote:
this thread has been a blast to follow. thanks for all the commentary and insights. mad props to btb for his excellent ruminations. woodduck is a god and tracker is my new favorite american.

looks like an amazing run of shows.

x2

this thread + the southern shelter recordings = next best thing to being there.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Yeah BTB not much to add, well meaning what I remember.

I blame the cheap alcohol. I think I met everyone.

One of the most weekends I've ever had. Oh yeah and the music was good too.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Yeah BTB not much to add, well meaning what I remember.

I blame the cheap alcohol. I think I met everyone.

One of the most weekends I've ever had. Oh yeah and the music was good too.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Penny seeing and posting double. Good times.
Not forever, just for now.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Dave wrote:"...rock and role means well,'but just can't help telling young boys lies..."

(which is possibly the greatest line in rock)

It is one of the greatest lines in rock n roll history. That's why it should always be quoted correctly. ;)
Keep calm and have a cigar

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

What's funny is that I do believe that is a quote of Craig Finn quoting/paraphrasing Mike Cooley. I have heard him do it several times with the "just." :lol:
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief