Athens January 13, 14 & 15 2011

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

CooleyGirl

Re: Athens January 13, 14 & 15 2011

Post by CooleyGirl »

GW in IA wrote:As if I needed any further reminder that I married several long steps above my station... My wife comes through the room last night, and in a very forced non-chalant tone says, "Have you booked your flight for Athens yet? Why not?" :shock:

A few phone calls later, and a plan for a stratigic Mother-in-law visit are in place.

Mother Fuck if I'm not going to Athens!! :mrgreen:

Will be at the Days, same room, three years running.
I wonder if they are even able to rent that room the other 362 days of the year?

Nice! It always help when the wife is in favor of the trip, right? ;)
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Lurleen McQueen wrote:Funny CooleyGirl- that picture is also from Mississippi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Stennis_Space_Center
Happy 50 days to go y'all!

Hey, I didn't realize that! Cool!
I liked the NASA sign in the background, kind of a nod to PPOTM, at least that came to my brain in the wee hours this morning as I posted it.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Cubfan06 wrote:Staying in Atlanta on Sunday to take in the sceneary, eat, drink, bum around, and watch football. So flying in on Thursday and not flying back until Monday afternoon.

Any recomendations on what part of Atlanta to stay? Is Buckhead a safe bet?

We're staying in Atlanta on Sun night too. We learned of a great place to eat last year, and have to go back again this year. Fox Brothers BBQ, it is amazing!

http://www.foxbrosbbq.com/

Of course, bear in mind that in CT, we are severly lacking in good or even mediocore BBQ joints, so it might seem extra good to us.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

mmmmm Fox Bros...home of the Frito Pie and tator tots.

CG---sweet! didn't know you were staying sunday, too!
In my blood, there's gasoline..

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

Penny Lane wrote:mmmmm Fox Bros...home of the Frito Pie and tator tots.

CG---sweet! didn't know you were staying sunday, too!

Ok so how many are staying Sunday?
Me, Cub and PL anyone else??
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

GW in IA wrote:As if I needed any further reminder that I married several long steps above my station... My wife comes through the room last night, and in a very forced non-chalant tone says, "Have you booked your flight for Athens yet? Why not?" :shock:

A few phone calls later, and a plan for a stratigic Mother-in-law visit are in place.

I wonder if they are even able to rent that room the other 362 days of the year?

I heard that through the grapevine when talking the Drifter yesterday. My plan is to request a room as far away from you guys as possible, then come over drink your beer and make a mess. And leave without a trace.
Congrats, look forward to seeing you down there. Perhaps we could bypass the walk to the 40 Watt and take a limo like the high class gentlemen that we are, for old times sake. :lol:

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

ScottyC wrote:What I would suggest is to find a hotel in Midtown and then you can do Piedmont Park sometime during the day and then take a cab over to Little Five Points (10 bucks or so). There are some neat shops, good bars and bars with football on, people watching etc. There are not many hotels around that area, so midtown would be safer in that respect. Everytime I am in Wicker Park it reminds me of L5P.

Buckhead is not what it used to be, it is trying really hard to be upper price shopping and all fancy cars.....not too exciting.

Let me know if that helps.

SFC

First off love the avatar. I miss Dustin Bufyglien greatly. Secondly, thanks much for all of the tips. Great suggestions and I get a feel of what Buckhead is like. And it doesn't sound like what I am looking for. Little Five Points sounds like the way to go.
Thanks again all

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

You GOTTA hit up L5P, if only to go to the Star Bar and see where it all started! A pilgrimage, of sorts.
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

GW - I LOVE your awesome wife and I've never even met her. Tell her thanks from the 3DD family. Can't wait to hug all y'all's necks when I see you.
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

so then...is the Highland Inn in 'midtown' Atlanta? if not, is there a particular hotel in the midtown area I should be seeking out?
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

blessedcurse wrote:so then...is the Highland Inn in 'midtown' Atlanta? if not, is there a particular hotel in the midtown area I should be seeking out?

the highland inn is a really cool artsy old school motel that a bunch of people stayed for DBT shows. i've only stayed there once last spring for the Variety Theater shows (which is within walking distance of the theater---well it's about 3/4 of a mile) and it's in a really cool part of town called...(someone can help)...

BC, don't know that i'm staying Sunday, too, but there's been talk of it...
i guess my 'too' meant because i'd heard others were heading toward ATL for the night..i didn't get my flight yet but i'd be open to FOX BROS again...i could use another time to stuff my face with tator tots.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

The Black Canary

Penny Lane wrote:
blessedcurse wrote:so then...is the Highland Inn in 'midtown' Atlanta? if not, is there a particular hotel in the midtown area I should be seeking out?

the highland inn is a really cool artsy old school motel that a bunch of people stayed for DBT shows. i've only stayed there once last spring for the Variety Theater shows (which is within walking distance of the theater---well it's about 3/4 of a mile) and it's in a really cool part of town called...(someone can help)...

i guess my 'too' meant because i'd heard others were heading toward ATL for the night..i didn't get my flight yet but i'd be open to FOX BROS again...i could use another time to stuff my face with tator tots.

I maybe staying in Atlanta the first night then over to Athens on Thursday , but I am staying with friends at both places so not worried about the hotel thing. I have 4 things of have toos, the 3 shows and my new ink. Other than that just going to take it as it comes. Plus staying with locals get to see the real Athens, outside of the venue area, so that is cool. Very excited!!!

bold99

Post by bold99 »

Penny Lane wrote:

Little 5 Points. Cool area....I really want to go back and go eat at the Vortex. Fox Brothers is good.

Will

Post by Will »

The Highland Inn is in Virginia-Highland, so you'll smack in between Midtown, L5P, Old 4th Ward. Perfect spot to stay. There's a really cool bar in the Highland Inn, too, the Ballroom Lounge. I recommend getting brunch at Cafe di Sol next door if you're there on the weekend. We live around the corner and love that whole neighborhood.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Okay, I'm in. Made plane reservations (and paid extra to get back on time to get to church Sunday) and bought my tickets.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

John A Arkansawyer wrote: (and paid extra to get back on time to get to church Sunday)

Hedging your bets, eh? ;)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

Will wrote:The Highland Inn is in Virginia-Highland, so you'll smack in between Midtown, L5P, Old 4th Ward. Perfect spot to stay. There's a really cool bar in the Highland Inn, too, the Ballroom Lounge. I recommend getting brunch at Cafe di Sol next door if you're there on the weekend. We live around the corner and love that whole neighborhood.

Thanks amigo...We are looking at spending the Sunday afternoon/night in Atlanta and this is very helpful.
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

beantownbubba wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote: (and paid extra to get back on time to get to church Sunday)

and look the preacher in the eye

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

blessedcurse wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

Nice!! :D
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

jdwolf

Post by jdwolf »

Will wrote:I recommend getting brunch at Cafe di Sol next door if you're there on the weekend. We live around the corner and love that whole neighborhood.

Right on Will! We stayed at the Highland Inn this past spring and had breakfast one morning at the Cafe di Sol. It was a really cool place & a great meal!! We also hung out right up the street from the Inn at Manuel's Tavern before heading to one of the shows. Good food, good beer! http://www.manuelstavern.com/index.html

By all means, stay in Virginia-Highland over Buckhead!

Honestly, I can't wait for the holidaze to be over so we can rock!
I wasn't born in the south but I got here as soon as I could!!

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

"It's Thanksgiving and Jesus I'm Thankful..."

Happy Turkey Day everyone!

The Black Canary

jdwolf wrote:
Will wrote:
Honestly, I can't wait for the holidaze to be over so we can rock!

Same here !!!! :D

John A Arkansawyer

blessedcurse wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

Better--it was one of the two possible dates for me to do a guest sermon while our regular preacher is on sabbatical. (People there are very tolerant of my music problem. We aren't big on other people's evil and judging what they do and don't believe.) It'll be the thirtieth instead, I think, which is kind of a shame. I was enjoying the idea of flying in, ears ringing, hung over even though I probably won't drink much, putting on my mirror shades, hauling ass to the church, giving everyone a scare that I won't show up on time, and making it with an easy fifteen minutes to spare. Instead, I'll be doing it the traditional way.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Better--it was one of the two possible dates for me to do a guest sermon while our regular preacher is on sabbatical. (People there are very tolerant of my music problem. We aren't big on other people's evil and judging what they do and don't believe.) It'll be the thirtieth instead, I think, which is kind of a shame. I was enjoying the idea of flying in, ears ringing, hung over even though I probably won't drink much, putting on my mirror shades, hauling ass to the church, giving everyone a scare that I won't show up on time, and making it with an easy fifteen minutes to spare. Instead, I'll be doing it the traditional way.

Since I've been out on disability I've really missed preaching every Sunday. Other aspects of the job I don't miss like three hour meetings spent arguing over the color of the carpet in the narthex. But preaching and leading worship were always my favorite parts of the job, especially on the Sundays when the organist was absent and I also got to play.

Drive By Truckers are more spiritual than you think. When I was diagnosed with incurable cancer I had faith and no fear what would happen to me once the reaper came calling. But I had forgotten who I was. DBT helped me remember who I am. Let there be rock!
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

John A Arkansawyer

RevMatt wrote:Drive By Truckers are more spiritual than you think.

No argument here, either about music in general or DBT in specific. When other folks at church talk about spiritual moments they've had out in nature, I'll allow as how I've had a few of those, but that most of mine have come in dark, loud, smoky rooms. They get me, even when they don't understand me.

RevMatt wrote:When I was diagnosed with incurable cancer I had faith and no fear what would happen to me once the reaper came calling. But I had forgotten who I was. DBT helped me remember who I am. Let there be rock!

I haven't paid that sort of dues yet, but I've had my troubles and two DBT shows in particular--the one here in Little Rock October before last when <personal details about someone else deleted> and the one last May in San Fran I went to after <personal details about someone else deleted>--put the heart back in me.

th in sc

Post by th in sc »

Got the room reserved at the DAZED INN and tickes for Thurs and Friday show!!! Looking forward to meeting up with the fine folks in corner room(s) again!

OtisTheBulldog

Post by OtisTheBulldog »

It's been forever since I've checked in but damn if my tix ain't purchased, hotel & flight booked. See you all there...

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer