DBT at the Freebird!!!~

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

JBinSD

Re: DBT at the Freebird!!!~

Post by JBinSD »

Sing to the tune of DBT . . DBT . . DBT . . DBT . . .

SRO
SRO!
SRO!!
SRO!!!
SRO!!!!

JBinSD

Post by JBinSD »

Cassie's brother

bnzz

Post by bnzz »

I will be there....but not before a stop at the shows in Tampa and Orlando.....going on tour!!!!!!

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

bnzz wrote:I will be there....but not before a stop at the shows in Tampa and Orlando.....going on tour!!!!!!

Nice to see you back on the board 8-)
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

JBinSD wrote:Sing to the tune of DBT . . DBT . . DBT . . DBT . . .

SRO
SRO!
SRO!!
SRO!!!
SRO!!!!

As much as I'd love to see SRO, I'll be happy with whatever we get.
After the amazing shows we witnessed this past weekend I know we won't be let down.
I'm sure we'll get some SRO but if we could only get 1, I want Greenville to Baton Rouge!
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

suntzu

Post by suntzu »

All this talk of SRO, SRO, SRO ....Hell that's what I am screamin' because that is some "What album you wanna hear?"shit. Gimme some Get Downtown and some SRO and I am cool(ey)!! I am gonna need a shot of tequila (Hornitoes) and Long Island! I think the Swamps are ready for more ' :mrgreen: :mrgreen: cause there is just too much more that needs to be heard. Why doesn't Shonna sing the part in Casssies' brother and Pat can sing the other part that Rob used ta!Let me plug Wanee here!! They made the Mushroom stage rock in the rain and I want them back there! Now back to the :mrgreen: Freebird........Let there be rock!!

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

3 days .... 8-)

see y`all there.
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Thanks Gator :D

SeanP

Post by SeanP »

Swamp wrote:Image
Thanks Gator :D

that is a killer poster!!!
gonna have get me one of those...

suntzu

Post by suntzu »

Man that looks like Swamp being pulled around by Marina!! Even the poker in her hand reminds me of something that could happen!! Don't F... with Marina and that goes for you too Cooley!! You guys are the best of the best of DBT fans!! Rock on all!! Can't wait 'til Sunday night at Jacksonville Beach!! Freeeeeebbbbiiiirrrdddd! 8-)

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

First we got
2 Image
then we got
2Image
and now we got 2 more f'in days till the RAWK SHOW!!

suntzu

Post by suntzu »

:D Can't wait 'til the Freebird Sunday night! The Swamps are still ringin' from last weekend, but they are siked for more. Hey are those two girls the doublemint twins or women with whiskey? I'll have a drink or two with any one of them! :oops:

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

THIS
GOES OUT FOR OUR
BAND!!

more day!!

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

suntzu

Post by suntzu »

Well, the countdown is at the end and there'll be hell to pay! We are gonna have a blast! Hope the fans are all ready for a jammin' up show! Swamp, Looks like Kevhic will be there with his DBT hat on! Luv ya Marina, you sexy thang!! :oops: :oops

SeanP

Post by SeanP »

hear...
the swamps had a heck of a show!!! ;)

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

SeanP wrote:hear...
the swamps had a heck of a show!!! ;)

We sure did!!!!
Talk about a band that treats their fans really special :D
more about that later but I actually wrote down the set list.
(I wasn't going to drink but Patterson changed that ;) )
Ray's Automatic Weapon
Uncle Frank
Sink Hole
Pulaski Tenn
Dancing Ricky
Tales Facing Up
Ghost to Most
Santa Fe
Woman without Whiskey
Feb 14
Birthday Boy
Go Go Boots
Life in the Factory
Get Downtown
(it's gonna be) I Told You So
Drag the Lake Charlie
When the Pin Hits the Shell
Let There be Rock

encore
I Used to be a Cop
Zip City
Buttholeville

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

waiting impatiently for more details Mr. Swamp--almost drove up there at the last minute but the drive back between 1 - 3 AM by myself would have been too much. I feel exhausted right now at work (still recovering from two weekends of DBT) and I would probably be in a ditch right now off of I-95 if I had gone. :lol:
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Gator McKlusky wrote:waiting impatiently for more details Mr. Swamp--almost drove up there at the last minute but the drive back between 1 - 3 AM by myself would have been too much. I feel exhausted right now at work (still recovering from two weekends of DBT) and I would probably be in a ditch right now off of I-95 if I had gone. :lol:

We are watching the video now to make sure I have evidence
before I make any outrageous claims :lol:

gerg

Post by gerg »

I was pleasantly surprised by how strong the band sounds. The issues I had with Shonna's bass being flappy/punchy appear gone, Neff is stepping up and playing meaty leads, and they are absolutely gelled. Best they've sounded as a unit to my ears since Jason left. Major strides have been made since the 2008 shows I saw.

Was it me or did it look like Life in the Factory was an audible that was maybe not on the set list? Patterson definitely informed the band to play it. Whatever the case, it killed. Also was happy to finally see my first Uncle Frank, which is probably my favorite tune of all. When the Pin Hits the Shell was cool. Tales Facing Up. Birthday Boy was great.

I wish I had known they were kicking this much ass...I'd have hit one of the prior shows down south.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Gerg - they're all audibles because DBT never writes a set list.

That poster above kicks total ass!

I want to hear more about Patterson making Mrs. Swamp drink. :D What a bad influence.

I've never been to the Freebird. What is it about that club that people don't seem to like.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

gerg

Post by gerg »

Rocky wrote:Gerg - they're all audibles because DBT never writes a set list.

That poster above kicks total ass!

I want to hear more about Patterson making Mrs. Swamp drink. :D What a bad influence.

I've never been to the Freebird. What is it about that club that people don't seem to like.

Ah. How spontaneous. I guess that's easier than having to actually work out a set list every night. My point was how demonstrative Patterson was in calling out LITF.

My only issue with the Freebird Cafe last night was the incense smoke and the fact that the band could have been just a little louder. Otherwise, that was my sixth or seventh time there and I've never had a problem with the place. It's small and I like that. Plus, it never takes long to get drinks and Guinness is only $4. I guess if I was nitpicking, those brick support columns aren't exactly good for sight-lines, but they look cool and don't really create that much of a problem. And maybe that the crowd is a little light on enthusiasm relative to other Truckers shows. But this is north Florida, what do you want.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

gerg wrote:
I wish I had known they were kicking this much ass...

:o :shock:
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

gerg

Post by gerg »

Some additional thoughts:

The opening band definitely won me over. Get there in time to catch at least some of the Futurebirds. They're not exactly reinventing the wheel, but their songs and melodies were infectious.

And speaking of infectious...Patterson's attitude is a wonder to behold. How they can tour the way they do and still have such a good time with it is remarkable. Or at the very least, appear to have such a good time. It goes a long way with me to see that kind of enthusiasm and happiness coming from the stage.

I've now seen them three times at the Freebird and all three times got Life in the Factory. For somebody who loves that song as much as I do, it's pretty cool that I happen to live where it seems to be an obligatory inclusion. The "they called their band Lynyrd Skynyrd..." line always fills the sails. How can you not howl to the spheres at that moment?

Cooley has a way of immediately satisfying my short list of wishes at DbT shows. At Chazfest in '06, I had been drinking whiskey all day and just needed Zip City. Sure it's played a lot, but sometimes you just need it. He opened that show with it. Last night it was Uncle Frank and it was his first song of the night. Cooley fucking delivers.

I saw security tell a kid that he had to take his hoody off. Just the hood part. I found that odd.

Thank you to the guy outside who got me blinded. That sent me flying and into a mindmeld with the band. Rock and roll ecstasy. While moving around the venue and flailing about in glorious rapture I may have bumped a person or two accidentally, yet I was always met with smiles. Great non-contentious vibe in there last night.

Tales Facing Up is one of my favorite drinking songs and damned if I haven't gotten to see it most of the ten or twelve shows I've seen.

When the Pin Hits the Shell was a first for me and totally caught me off guard. That was a treat.

Their canon is so deep at this point that you really have no idea what's coming, with the obvious exception of the handful of tunes they tend to close with. That makes for a very fun show-going experience.

Ultimately, they won me back in a big way last night. I was less than enthused after the two shows I saw in 2008 and the vids I've seen from back then. But they have it totally dialed in now, John is stepping up big, Jay fills out the sound very well, and collectively, as a band, they are firing on all cylinders. It's inspiring.

suntzu

Post by suntzu »

Well, let's see, uh skies are clear and cool here in Jacksonville. low of 32 and high of 60.... Oh yeah the show . Guess Gerg :ugeek: summed it up pretty good and waiting on the Swamp Report (registered trademark). Enjoyed meeting up with my Wanee buds! :mrgreen:

suntzu

Post by suntzu »

Oh yeah met some cool people, 2 guys and a girl who gave me a free vodka cranberry and blonde chick named Gail with glasses, took pics by the road cases, talked to the lovely Shonna Tucker and that "sweet guy John Neff" (Patterson proclaimed) and thanks to Easy B who got some things signed for ED and Megan. Thanks Easy B you are the coolest! 8-)

JBinSD

Post by JBinSD »

BTW Patterson dedicated "Let There Be Rock" to the Swamps!

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

We rolled into town around 3:00 and got a parking place George Castanza would love. JBinSD was
with us and we were ready to rock. However first things first. Mrs Swamp had a cake to deliver. Marina
makes a killer rum cake and the band loves it. I have no desire to get on the bus but the Mrs loves that
kind of thing so JB and I walked her over to the bus. Someone let her on while we waited outside.
Jay was in the front part of the bus and Cooley came out of the back when he heard them talking.
Cooley told her that he was gonna cut a piece and hide it so he could have it with his coffee in the
morn. When Marina got off the bus we were standing on the sidewalk discussing our next move when
Patterson came down the street behind her. I didn't say anything until he got right up on us. She turned,
screamed and gave him a hug. I was wearing an old Truckadelic shirt and Patterson told us how DBT
once dressed up like them for a show. He said he even learned the crazy dance :lol: (any of yall that remember Truckadelic know what I'm talking about.) After a brief conversation we went to find some
drinks for JB and the Mrs. I hadn't planned on drinking but I'd have a few smokes ;) . After a walk
around we stopped at the rasta bar across the street from the Freebird. Just as we started in, Marina
saw Shonna and Neff coming down the street, so she went over to talk to them while JB and I got a
table. Marina told them of our plans to have dinner at Chicago Pizza where they were coming from.
Shonna said the pizza was good but the place was too loud this early in the day. (it was after 3, the
place is a sports bar and the Bears/Packers was on) At around 5, Bogart and Bruce showed up
and we ran into Mathew and Jessica who we met in Athens. Craig came around with his old friend
and we all ended up at a seafood place a block from the venue. After dinner we decided to go start a
line. About that time my son and his fiance showed up as well as Beautiful Wife. (from the old 9b board)
BW said she had been at the Tampa show.
Last time we had been to the Freebird there was way to many people in there and although I enjoyed
the show I still came away with a bad feel for the place. This time was different I don't know if it was
less people or what. Maybe less rowdy people. The crowd up front really seemed into the band, singing
along to most of the older tunes. While they were getting the stage ready for the Truckers I noticed
there weren't any acoustic guitars on stage so I figured we wouldn't get Cartoon Gold or Box of Spiders,
but that was fine as we got them the previous week in Athens. The Athens shows were great and like
TC said in another thread, I can no longer say what shows are better. They're all great to me and
Sunday night was no exception. Even Gerg liked it. (hey man you shoulda said hi, we coulda blinded
you too, if you woulda :D ) Also during the set up they set the bottle of Jack right behind where Shonna would
be standing and I started chanting "she's got the Jack" nobody knew what i was talking about. Oh well.
Just before the show started we saw sunztu waving at us from the bar. Why did I know he would be on
Shonna's side of the stage ;)
Leave it to Patterson to make the show special for Mrs Swamp and I. To start with as they came out on
stage he gave Marina the "rock on" (devil horns) sign 8-) Then at the end as they were playing the opening
chords to Let There be Rock, Patterson dedicated it to us, :o then said how it was nice to see us so close
to home :D The perfect song as that was the one that finally brought the Mrs into the fold. Although I had
been a fan since 03 she was a little slow to come around. When she got her first show in 05, I told her
to bring along her picture of her and Bon Scott. I told her we would probably get to talk to some of the
band and they would get a kick out of it. Besides it being the longest show we've ever been to, she got
to talk to Patterson and show him the picture. She's been a fan since.
But back to Sunday. We wanted to get the whole show on vid so we were taking turns filming with a little help at the end. During LTBR I had the camera. At the end when Neff, Patterson and Cooley all walked to the edge of the stage, Patterson held his guitar down for me to strum. At first I didn't know what to do but figured it out pretty quickly (I was playing lead for DBT!!! in my own head ;) :lol: ) Then he let Marina stum some.

Not the best audio
Close to the end of the footage you can see Son of Swamp right in front of Cooley giving him double
"rock on" signs. We were so elated. How could they top this with an encore? But they did! You'll
have to watch the Buttholeville video to see. I just hope there were tapers there as our audio isn't
that great. luckily the dvd I burned straight off the chip sounds good.

He passed me the tequila,. When I handed it back he handed it to Marina and took the camera out of her
hand, spun it around and handed it back as he pointed for Marina to give the bottle to JB. Then he took it
back and let bogart have a pull.
Not say it was the best show, but it was epic :D

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

too fuckin' cool right there.

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

Holy shit that is epic!
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief