DBT tracks week 24- Let There Be Rock

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

DBT tracks week 24- Let There Be Rock

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Dropped acid, Blue Oyster Cult concert, fourteen years old,
And I thought them lasers were a spider chasing me.
On my way home, got pulled over in Rogersville Alabama, with a half-ounce of weed and a case of Sterling Big Mouth.
My buddy Gene was driving, he just barely turned sixteen.
And I'd like to say, "I'm sorry", but we lived to tell about it
And we lived to do a whole lot more crazy, stupid, shit.

And I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I sure saw Molly Hatchet
With 38 Special and the Johnny Van Zant Band.

One night when I was seventeen, I drank a fifth of vodka, on an empty stomach, then drove over to a friend's house. And I backed my car between his parent's Cadillac's without a scratch.
Then crawled to the back door and slithered threw the key hole, and sneaked up the stares
And puked in the toilet.
I passed out and nearly drowned but his sister, DD, pulled me out.

And I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I sure saw Molly Hatchet
And the band that I was in played "The Boy's are Back in Town".

Skynyrd was set to play Huntsville, Alabama, in the spring of 77, I had a ticket but it got cancelled.
So, the show, it was rescheduled for the "Street Survivors Tour".
And the rest, as they say, is history.

So I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I sure saw Ozzy Osbourne with Randy Rhoads in 82
Right before that plane crash.
And I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I sure saw AC/DC
With Bon Scott singing, "Let There Be Rock Tour".

With Bon Scott singing, LET THERE BE ROCK!

What can you really say about this one? Well a lot actually. This is DBT's arena song. It's a crowd pleasing sing along but why is it that? I think it's because everyone can relate to it. I drank a fifth of vodka in 45 minutes as a kid and got dragged off the lawn. I had tickets for Led Zeppelin when Bonham died, and yeah I actually dropped acid for a Blue Oyster Cult show. The song brings back our youth and tells us that all the fucked up shit is what makes life worth living. While probably not in my top ten DBT songs, it is probably my second or third favorite to see live, despite seeing it more times than I can count.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Smitty

Re: DBT tracks week 24- Let There Be Rock

Post by Smitty »

Makes getting tore up and puking in the toilet sound downright epic.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I dont know what to say about this song, either, but it's a great one especially, as TC said, live.

I remember how that first line caught my ear the first time i heard it, when i was just getting into the band. He just said what??? :lol:
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

Jay's keyboards really sound great in the live version. The song always reminds me of the old days when you used to have to wait in line for concert tickets, and you'd be chatting with strangers and name dropping all the different bands and concerts and tours you've seen. It's a great song for the rock concert afficianado.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

This is the first DBT song that I heard and the rest as they say is history. SRO had just came out a few months earlier and I was driving back to college and heard it on the radio. The signal was weak and I actually had to pull over on the side of the interstate so the song could finish and I could try to find out the artist. Definitely one of my favorites live and when I saw DBT open for Petty in Cincy back in the summer, they closed with this and everyone up front, which was 99% Petty fans, were on their feet by the end. They definitely won over some fans because you could see the Petty fans fist pumping and high-fiving and you could hear them talking about "that last song" in the concession and restroom lines after DBT's set. If someone sees them play LTBR live and still doesn't get it, then there's probably no hope for them.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

The first DBT concert I saw was when where I was working (doing lights for a venue in State College, PA). It was on The Dirt Underneath tour, and I hadn't heard a note before the show. I enjoyed the band enough to buy SRO, and Let There Be Rock was the one song I definitely remembered from the concert (the other "memorable" song was The Living Bubba).

Fun fact: the 3-way guitar solo melody (right before the canned applause) is the same as the bass line in the chorus of Angels & Fuselage. Opera indeed!
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

rlipps wrote: and the rest as they say is history.

I must use this line in everyday situations at least once a week.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Dropped ass at a Blue Oyster Cult concert, fourteen years old,
And I thought them lasers were a spider chasing me.

is how i heard it the first time, so i'm doomed to hear it like this forever.

cool note on the solo/bass line, zip. i'll have to listen for that.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

One of the most epic songs in an epic canon. This is one of those songs where you listen to it, chuckle, and think "yup, I've done that before".

And we lived to do a whole bunch more crazy stupid shit

I made one of those cheesy picture slide shows of me and all my buddies from back home partying over the years, for a New Year's Party a few years back. It started with "Never Gonna Change" and finished with "Let There Be Rock". Everyone thought it was about perfect.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote:One of the most epic songs in an epic canon. This is one of those songs where you listen to it, chuckle, and think "yup, I've done that before".

I made one of those cheesy picture slide shows of me and all my buddies from back home partying over the years, for a New Year's Party a few years back. It started with "Never Gonna Change" and finished with "Let There Be Rock". Everyone thought it was about perfect.

WWOP

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

When Patterson introduces this song, he says it is about how rock and roll saved his life. The redemptive power of rock and roll has been a theme in the music of Lou Reed, Bruce Springsteen and a host of others. What makes this song different is the time and place. 1978, northern Alabama, arena rock. At this point in time the rock show had become institutionalized. There would be no more Woodstocks, Altamonts or Monteray Pop Festivals. Instead, the latest band in heavy rotation on AOR would roll into town. Kids scored tickets weeks ahead of time. Some had their parents' permission to go to the show, others didn't. Either way, their parents were completely naive as to what really went down at those concerts. Teenagers getting loaded on just about every drug available. Twenty thousand kids in a hockey arena openly smoking marijuana with the cops powerless to do anything about it. Anarchy. Teenage wasteland. In the sixties, the music and drug taking were part of a larger cultural phenomena. The sexual revolution, the civil rights movement, the anti-war movement. But by the late seventies, getting wasted while Black Sabbath or Rush blasted their music at top volume in an arena was an end in and of itself.

Patterson Hood and the guys he grew up with had to score a ride to whatever concert he was going to. My friends and I didn't. We lived in the 'burbs. Get on the old Jersey Central, change trains in Newark, and get dropped off right underneath Madison Square Garden. We'd show up at the train station loaded, our weed and qualudes safely stashed in our socks and a leather wine sack filled with Vodka or Jack Daniels strapped underneath our jackets. The cops would be watching us at the train station but unless someone decided to fire up a joint right in front of them there was no real worry about a bust. If anything, the concert meant a quieter night for the police department in our town since a fair number of the heads would be at the concert. Once we boarded that train we were NJ Transit's and the NYPD's problem. The conductors would reserve one car in the back of the train for everyone going to the concert. This was not only for the protection of the other passengers but to insure that vomit would only have to be scrubbed from the seats and floors of one car instead of the entire train. Most of the time the conductors didn't even bother to check for train tickets in that car, so veteran concert goers knew that you could save a couple bucks this way.

The concert itself was always larger than life. You didn't exactly get to see Ozzy Osbourne, Jimmy Page or Pink Floyd up close unless you scored tickets in the orchestra section. Most people were at least a couple hundred feet away. But the light shows, super loud sound system and overall atmosphere made it seem like some sort of demented circus for drugged out children. Anarchy in the USA. The stars rode around in limos where they snorted coke and banged groupies. Meanwhile, we smoked pot, dropped acid, popped qualudes and screamed out lungs out as Jimmy Page stood underneath the spotlight, center stage at Madison Square Garden, shredding a guitar solo.

Am I sorry for the things I did? Not really, even though I am a little bit uncomfortable with the idea of my kids learning about some of the things I did during my adolesence. And the rock experience led to a whole lot of other things that guided me in my own life. Yes, I formed a band shortly after seeing my first concert. We didn't play "The Boys are Back in Town." Southern Rock was huge for a couple of years after the Lynyrd Skynyrd plane crash, even in Jersey where the kids in my high school started wearing rebel flag t-shirts and cowboy boots while they spoke in fake southern accents. I saved the money I made from my paper route and bought a Sound City electric piano. I learned "Freebird", "Sweet Home Alabama", "Gimme Three Steps", "Tuesday's Gone" and a bunch of other songs I can still play today. The electric piano and those songs gave me an invitation to nearly every jam session within four towns.

The rock shows also taught me that no matter how out of hand any situation gets, if you survive it the stories you have to tell make the whole thing worthwhile. I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I sure saw Stevie Ray Vaughn. Yes, that is another thing we learn from the rock experience. Sometimes you don't survive the ride home from the concert. Sometimes that 442 goes airbourne. Or you choke on your own vomit. Or your dumbass friends leave you passed out from a mixture of Jack Daniels and qualudes and don't call an ambulance because they are afraid of getting into trouble. Not everyone survives, performer and fan alike. Better catch The Stones during the Some Girls tour. We forget that in 1978 it wasn't a forgone conclusion that Keith Richards would be the ultimate rock and roll survivor.

This past weekend I took my son to his first rock show, Drive By Truckers in Richmond, Virginia. He is thirteen years old and only a few months away from being the same age Patterson Hood was on the night he attended that Blue Oyster Cult show. But thirty-five years later it is a different world. Parents are wiser. We know that when our kids are invited to a party it is our responsibility to speak to the parents before we drop them off. Arena rock concerts -- which were less than ten dollars for even the top selling bands back in 1977 -- can cost a hundred dollars or more. And you are not allowed to smoke in any arena or theater these days. Firing up a cigarette or a joint will get you tossed from any concert. So the price, the rules and parents who know firsthand what happens when 20,000 teenagers are left unsupervised in an arena have tamed the atmosphere. These days, taking your kid to a rock show is not really much different than my father taking me to a baseball game when I was fourteen. Meet up with Dad's friends in a restaurant beforehand. I don't suppose the majority of the 3DD crew is that much different than the adults my son meets on a daily basis, whether they are neighbors, teachers or friends of his parents. No real debauchery. Just regular people cutting loose as they scream for their favorite band on a Saturday night just as our fathers did when they went to see the NY Rangers back in 1977.

The rock show itself is different than it was in the seventies. Bands like Drive By Truckers don't piss away money on limos, catered food or hotels most nights. And most rock performers have learned that banging groupies in each and every town ain't worth the alimony and child support they would be stuck with for the rest of their careers should the old lady get wind of it back home. Band and crew live in a single bus while they are on the road. Eleven people living in a space with less square footage than a single wide trailer. Rock is a living and all the trappings of rock stardom that we witnessed growing up have not survived. And the show itself is different, much more workman like. Anyone who thinks being a recording artist is some easy life should have witnessed the three hour show Drive By Truckers put on last Saturday night in Richmond. My son was impressed by the musicianship and the hard work, but he is under no illusions that bands like Drive By Truckers live some sort of glamourous lifestyle.

"Let There Be Rock" is a song about my generation's coming of age. It was a time and place that will never really be duplicated. Before the show last Saturday I shared a drink with Craig, DBT's merchandise guy. He was telling me about the rock camp that Nucci's Space has every year for teenage musicians in Athens. For one week recording artists like Patterson Hood mentor young kids whose parents sign them up for this camp. Quite different from the way we came of age and learned how to play in basement jam sessions. But is it really that surprising? My father learned baseball on the weekends he visited his grandmother in Brooklyn. He'd see the Dodgers at Ebbets Field where a bunch of kids would pack the bleachers, cheer on their favorite players and shout out insults to the opposing players. Afterwards the neighborhood kids would play stickball. Their immigrant parents knew no more about how to hit a baseball than my father knew about how to play a guitar solo. The kids just imitated the batting stance and fielding technique of their favorite Brooklyn Dodger. Dad became a good athlete this way. By the time I was seven years old he ran the little league in my town. I learned to hit a ball, shoot a basket and tackle from my father and other men who came up with the techniques on their own. We played games with coaches and umpires. We didn't have to learn to play ball from watching professionals and then imitating them with a broom handle and pink rubber ball on the mean streets of Brooklyn. Once a year the league would pay for a former major leaguer to conduct a clinic for the kids and give out autographs. Likewise, if my son decides to pursue rock music I can teach him how to play and even "coach" his friends as they put a band together. As a good, civic minded parent, I am quite capable of organizing a "rock" camp for the kids in my town. Heck, I could probably get the organization to come up with enough money to convince one of the guys from the East Street Band to put on a clinic. Yes, I learned to be a rock musician by going to shows. I learned to play my favorite songs by developing my ear so I could pick out the chords from a record. But my children don't have to do this.

I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I sure saw Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Peter Tosh, Kiss, Jim Carroll, The Clash, Echo and The Bunnymen, Blue Oyster Cult and a host of others. Rock and roll may not have saved my life. But it did teach me a few things and give me direction. And few rock singers have ever told our generation's coming of age story better than Patterson Hood. It may be different for my kids who are probably more impressed with the guy who came up with Facebook than any rock star. But Patterson's story is our story. So let there be rock!!!
Last edited by RevMatt on Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Clams

Post by Clams »

WWO45 ^^^^^
(worthless without 45 minutes)

Awesome post Rev, just awesome. Well worth the 45.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:WWO45 ^^^^^
(worthless without 45 minutes)

Awesome post Rev, just awesome. Well worth the 45.

Didn't u hear, Clams? The prof canceled the quiz.

Flea

Post by Flea »

The Rev nailed it. And the crazy fucked up shit I did as a kid is a big reason I don't have any of my own. Not that I can't - just don't want to deal with what my folks did.
Now it's dark.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:
Iowan wrote:One of the most epic songs in an epic canon. This is one of those songs where you listen to it, chuckle, and think "yup, I've done that before".

WWOP

Just a few I found laying around. The best times were never documented, for obvious reasons. ;)
Last edited by Iowan on Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I kind of think that doing crazy, stupid, fucked up shit is a part of growing up. I know my old man did some wild shit growing up, and I wasn't much different. And I assume my kids will be the same way.

My dad always said that we (my whole generation, not just my brother and I) were smarter about being stupid than he (and his generation) was. Hopefully my kids will be the same way.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Flea wrote:The Rev nailed it. And the crazy fucked up shit I did as a kid is a big reason I don't have any of my own. Not that I can't - just don't want to deal with what my folks did.

I used to think that, too, but i was wrong. Just sayin' <shrug>

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

My kids are honor students, athletes and Boy Scouts. How did a guy like me end up with such great kids?
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

Smitty wrote:Makes getting tore up and puking in the toilet sound downright epic.

Pretty much.

Definitely tells the story of my adolescence. Music, partying and good friends.
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

never going back wrote:
Smitty wrote:Makes getting tore up and puking in the toilet sound downright epic.

Pretty much.

Definitely tells the story of my adolescence. Music, partying and good friends.

This comment and that HS picture? Geez, maybe flea was right after all :lol:

BostonREB

Post by BostonREB »

The phrase that sums it all up for me: We've all been there.

Let There Be Rock. Indeed!
Send lawyers, guns and money....

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

Yep,,I can totally relate to this song...just sayin!! :D
I filmed this in Ft Lauderdale ...enjoy~
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I pulled this write up by Rick Cornell out of the cobwebs thanks to the Wayback Machine. As I mentioned in the Southern Rock Opera thread, a long defunct e-zine called Fresh Dirt once devoted an entire issue to Southern Rock Opera shortly after it was released. I posted Patterson's essay from it ("1977") in the other thread but felt like Rick's piece belonged here. Very cool to read this again as it hit me pretty hard when I first read it and it still does to this day:

Let There Be Rock
by Rick Cornell
(originally appeared in Fresh Dirt #10, Nov/Dec 2001)

The first time I heard the Drive-By Truckers’ “Let There Be Rock,” near closing time at Chapel Hill’s Local 506, it was an emotional experience, and I wore the chill bumps to prove it. Patterson Hood introduced the song by testifying “This one’s about how arena rock and drugs saved my life as a teenager” and then backed up the claim by leading a three-guitar-driven tribute to those two teen staples. The verses detailed the kind of coming-of-age misadventures that inevitably involve the cops and/or puking, and then crashed into a chorus that laments never having seen Lynyrd Skynyrd. But you know, it suggests, pump enough Bacardi 151 and Pepsi into your body, and the Johnny Van Zant Band isn’t a half-bad substitute.

Because this first exposure to “Let There Be Rock” occurred during the late night/early morning gray area, that time when your emotions tend to live on the surface like beer stains on your shirt, I wrote the incident off. Then I witnessed the Truckers play the song again, and back came the chill bumps. Thanks to the release of the bold and engrossing SOUTHERN ROCK OPERA (on which you’ll find “Let There Be Rock” leading off disc 2), I’ve now listened to the song approximately 25 times, always with the same visible reaction. What is it about the song?

Maybe it’s the thrill that comes with the recognition of shared experiences. In the song, the cars have Alabama plates, whereas my best friend’s land yacht of a Plymouth sported the front-and-back, off-orange plates of New York, but we did the same crazy, stupid shit once inside ‘em (sorry, Mom and Dad) – all of us sufficiently self-deluded about our immortality. For me, those mid-teen concerts were Emerson, Lake & Palmer and Jethro Tull instead of mid-‘80s coliseum heroes like Molly Hatchet, Blue Oyster Cult, and .38 Special, but my bloodstream was no less polluted, my scrawny soul no less saved. And I also never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd. A bunch of my schoolmates had tickets for a concert scheduled for late fall of ’77 at the Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, a show that never took place. Bet they’ve still got ‘em.

Maybe it’s Patterson Hood’s cut-to-the-chase songwriting – more like telling stories in the back of the van, really – that pushes a button marrow-deep. His plain-speak paints a 1000 words, only about a quarter of them cusses. I love the image of the laser beams as spiders, and I love that they’re not just lasers, they’re “them lasers.” I love that his friend’s sister saved his drunk ass, and I love that her name is DD. And God do I love that the band he was in played “The Boys Are Back in Town.” (Let’s not shortchange Mike Cooley, whose SOUTHERN ROCK OPERA contributions are equally straightforward and compelling. His “I got 350 heads on a 305 engine/I get ten miles to the gallon/I ain’t got no good intentions” ending to “Zip City” is a remarkable piece of fossil fuel- and hormone-driven poetry, damn close to a highway haiku.)

Maybe it’s the line that gives the song its title. On disc, its delivery is a moment of joyous release, but for maximum effect you really need to experience that refrain live. When Hood sings “Bon Scott singing ‘Let There Be Rock Tour’,” in gruff exaltation and usually accompanied by three-quarters of the crowd, it’s as close as you can get to church in a beer hall.

Or maybe, just maybe, it all simply comes down to those three guitars.

Kudzu Guillotine

ON THIS DATE (32 YEARS AGO)
March 19, 1982 - Randy Rhoads (Ozzy Osbourne, Quiet Riot) died in a plane crash. (b. December 6, 1956)

Randall William "Randy" Rhoads was an American heavy metal guitarist who played with Ozzy Osbourne and Quiet Riot. A devoted student of classical guitar, Rhoads combined his classical music influences with his own heavy metal style. Despite his short career, Rhoads is a major influence on neo-classical metal, is cited as an influence by many guitarists, and is included in several "Greatest Guitarist" lists.

Kudzu Guillotine

Looks who's 59 today, Angus Young.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Here's some Rock History right here. DD's toilet. Patterson posted this to Facebook:

Patterson Hood wrote:Return to the scene of the crime. Let There Be Rock - 2nd verse, 34 years later (to the day). Here's to living to tell the tale.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Let the outside air in

Kudzu Guillotine

Listening to Patterson DJ on The Colorado Sound, it was interesting to hear him mention how the crowd noise in "Bennie and the Jets" inspired the crowd noise in "Let There Be Rock" and how it was lifted off of Cheap Trick's Live at Budokan record.