Drive-By Truckers "Used To Be A Cop"

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

NickB

Re: Drive-By Truckers "Used To Be A Cop"

Post by NickB »

Now I am digging that tune. That's so great. I love the guitars on this.

NickB
You Can't Always Get What You Want.......

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

why did the free download (and all references to it) go away? Mistake by DBT's webmaster?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

Offer is still up there Zip.

??

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Given to Fly wrote:Offer is still up there Zip.

??

I didn't see it last time I visited the site.....yep, there it is. Weird
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I'm liking this a lot so far. It's unlike anything else they've done, except for maybe Wig. But I like this better. The groove is tighter, the guitar parts are a bit more focused, and some effort went into the lyrics. Weakest part for me is probably the vocals, although they're not bad at all. Patterson kills it live, but here he sounds like he's holding back a bit. I wonder what it would sound like a with a filter on the vocals, like Days of Graduation. Anyway, I like. Can't wait for Go-Go Boots.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

this is like the song wig was supposed to be...it's among my least favourites on the big to-do (still like it a lot though), this on the other hand...

Agree 110% on both counts. Shonna's bass is up front and badass and flat-out driving the song. Good stuff.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

There's a lot to like about this song and i am digg'in it, particularly from an instrumental aspect. However...although I dig Patterson telling stories of folks who "have been pushed to the edge of society" for me (at least at this point) this story isn't really drawing me in as much for some reason. Unlike Putt'in People on the Moon, which we are currently also discussing, this song does not seem to be really aimed at a higher meaning or really attack any issues other than the narrators own personal demons. Its just a story of a guy wallowing in his train wreck life.

Some have compared this song to "Wig". I'm sure I don't agree but I'm not exactly sure why. For starters though i agree that it is sort of a similar prose to Wig but its not in the same person, and the story in Wig seems to have more depth. See, in Wig, the song is less about the murder (or killing as the judge/jury ultimately decided) as it is about the reaction of the jury to the circumstances surrounding the killing and their subsequent judgement of the "victims" actions rather than hers. I would save this for the "Wig" discussion but for me this aspect of the story in Wig is what is missing in "Used to be a Cop". For me if you put the music to "Used to be a Cop" to the story in "Wig" you have a more perfect combination. Plus the "I used to play football" line kinda stands out to me in a bad way. Its so cliche, I played football too grow'in up and got outgrown....get the fuck over it and find a new dream.

Feel free to correct my obvious wrongness....I may very well end up agreeing with you but you're gonna have to point it out to me.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:There's a lot to like about this song and i am digg'in it, particularly from an instrumental aspect. However...although I dig Patterson telling stories of folks who "have been pushed to the edge of society" for me (at least at this point) this story isn't really drawing me in as much for some reason. Unlike Putt'in People on the Moon, which we are currently also discussing, this song does not seem to be really aimed at a higher meaning or really attack any issues other than the narrators own personal demons. Its just a story of a guy wallowing in his train wreck life.

Some have compared this song to "Wig". I'm sure I don't agree but I'm not exactly sure why. For starters though i agree that it is sort of a similar prose to Wig but its not in the same person, and the story in Wig seems to have more depth. See, in Wig, the song is less about the murder (or killing as the judge/jury ultimately decided) as it is about the reaction of the jury to the circumstances surrounding the killing and their subsequent judgement of the "victims" actions rather than hers. I would save this for the "Wig" discussion but for me this aspect of the story in Wig is what is missing in "Used to be a Cop". For me if you put the music to "Used to be a Cop" to the story in "Wig" you have a more perfect combination. Plus the "I used to play football" line kinda stands out to me in a bad way. Its so cliche, I played football too grow'in up and got outgrown....get the fuck over it and find a new dream.

Feel free to correct my obvious wrongness....I may very well end up agreeing with you but you're gonna have to point it out to me.

It's a character sketch. It's just showing the mental state of this individual. Get's in his head and show's what it's like to be him. I think you see guys kind of like this in a lot of towns. They come off as assholes and total fuck heads, but Patterson is attempting to humanize them, and show them as someone who's really just in a lot of pain about the state of their life. That's my take anyways.

I think the groove is just bad ass here. The difference between this and Wig is that I totally will seek Used to be a Cop out. I like Wig a lot, but usually only listen to it when listening to the Big To Do all the way through.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

This song would make a great movie.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Iowan wrote:
GuitarManUpstairs wrote:There's a lot to like about this song and i am digg'in it, particularly from an instrumental aspect. However...although I dig Patterson telling stories of folks who "have been pushed to the edge of society" for me (at least at this point) this story isn't really drawing me in as much for some reason. Unlike Putt'in People on the Moon, which we are currently also discussing, this song does not seem to be really aimed at a higher meaning or really attack any issues other than the narrators own personal demons. Its just a story of a guy wallowing in his train wreck life.

It's a character sketch. It's just showing the mental state of this individual. Get's in his head and show's what it's like to be him. I think you see guys kind of like this in a lot of towns. They come off as assholes and total fuck heads, but Patterson is attempting to humanize them, and show them as someone who's really just in a lot of pain about the state of their life. That's my take anyways.

I think the groove is just bad ass here. The difference between this and Wig is that I totally will seek Used to be a Cop out. I like Wig a lot, but usually only listen to it when listening to the Big To Do all the way through.

I see where you're coming from Smitty. I absolutely agree that it is an awesome character sketch and this guy would probably make for a role that some great actor would provide an Oscar worthy performance portraying, but in and of itsself there is no plot laid out here. That's fine, and i really don't wanna be a buzz kill on this but I just think it could have been more, and what I am left wanting from this that I feel would take the song to the next level is maybe something a little more revelatory. But maybe the beauty here is what is left unsaid...I don't know. Like I said i am still really digging the song as a whole and maybe i just have not listemed to it enough yet. I felt the same way about Wig BTW.There have been numerous songs that I didn't give a fair shake at first that grew to be some of my favorites in the end.

(As an aside - Patterson I hope you're listening - I have heard him say he wanted to write a book someday - maybe he's laying all the characters out in song first then they'll all come together in some sort of Tolkien-esk Redneck Epic Fellowship - Lord of the Rawkshow :lol:
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Clams

Post by Clams »

the dude in the song is a time bomb. I wonder what he did to get kicked off the force.

Like the cop, the guitars absolutely rage but yet they are held back, restrained. Shonna carries the song.
If you don't run you rust

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Clams wrote:The guitars are reminiscent of Wig.

Long live The Wig.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

There are a lot of Wig comparisons, but I kind of think there are some serious differences. Wig was all about creepy riffs to offset the story. Here, there's way more of a groove. It's also more of a strong structure. Wig has no melody. That's actually not a bad thing, but it's a difference between the two.

Clams

Post by Clams »

cortez the killer wrote:
Clams wrote:The guitars are reminiscent of Wig.

Long live The Wig.

Having listened to this song a lot in the last week, I retract my earlier comparison to Wig.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:
Clams wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:Long live The Wig.

Having listened to this song a lot in the last week, I retract my earlier comparison to Wig.

Yeah, Used to Be A Cop is way better.

And it's the most "rocking" song on Go-Go Boots.....the band wasn't kidding when they said TBTD was the rocker and GGB was the R&B/Country record

I think Mercy Buckets kind of rocks, as does Thanksgiving Filter. But yeah, generally I find musicians are terrible at accurately/honestly describing their own music. DBT is not in that boat.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:
Iowan wrote:
Zip City wrote:
Yeah, Used to Be A Cop is way better.

And it's the most "rocking" song on Go-Go Boots.....the band wasn't kidding when they said TBTD was the rocker and GGB was the R&B/Country record

I think Mercy Buckets kind of rocks, as does Thanksgiving Filter. But yeah, generally I find musicians are terrible at accurately/honestly describing their own music. DBT is not in that boat.

Obviously "rocks" is a subjective term, but there is definitely nothing like After the Scene Dies or Drag the Lake Charlie on GGB

I'd agree with that.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Heard it today on Outlaw Country (Sirius 63). Shonna is definitely channeling some John Deacon there, in a good way. Any Queen fans on here? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Deacon

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

My take on "Used to be a Cop" is the guy is at the edge and contemplating shooting his family and himself. The bitterness and emotional instability are right there in the lyrics and the delivery. He used to be somebody but "they" took it away. He is blaming his predicament on everyone but himself. We are inside the guy's head and about a half hour away from hearing about the conclusion on CNN.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Loving the bass line and disco drum beats in this tune. As I've said before, EZB has the best bass drum sound.

Sounds real good cranked up in the car.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

I am absolutely enthralled with this song. I can't get the bass and drums out of my head. And the dynamic change of "I Used to Play Football." One of only a few DBT songs that I like much more on record than seeing it live or listening to a show recording. I have no doubt that now I am more familiar with it, the song may grow to be one of my favorites in their most recent catalog.
A terrible analogy, but I can't help but feel to me that it is to the Drive By Truckers what "Shakedown Street" is to the Dead with a dabble in disco strut. I know they're not the same, but it makes me think of that parallel sometimes.
(I'm unfortunately addicted to analyzing parallels in music though. I once wrote an essay in an expository writing class, detailing how The Roots album "Things Fall Apart" was indirectly influenced by the Harlem Renissance. " )

I approve though!
Last edited by Cubfan06 on Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Can't wait for the Jellybean Benitez 12" remix
Always go to the show

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Jonicont wrote:Can't wait for the Jellybean Benitez 12" remix

:lol: Very clever. I probably deserve that when using the dreaded "D" word to describe DBT's music.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Cubfan06 wrote:

:lol: Very clever. I probably deserve that when using the dreaded "D" word to describe DBT's music.

Kidding about Jelly bean. But seriously-speed this sucker up and I smell a club hit
Always go to the show

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

or atleast a twelve inch dub
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Clams

Post by Clams »

There is a guitar that comes in at about the 17 second mark. You have to listen for it to hear it. Kind of sounds jumpy, like scratching an itch, continues for the whole song. On the headphones, it comes through on the left side. Not to mention Cooley at about the 5:25 mark. I think that one comes through on the right.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Jonicont wrote:
Cubfan06 wrote:

Kidding about Jelly bean. But seriously-speed this sucker up and I smell a club hit

The song also reminds me of late era Afghan Whigs.

Monty610

Post by Monty610 »

Clams wrote:There is a guitar that comes in at about the 17 second mark. You have to listen for it to hear it. Kind of sounds jumpy, like scratching an itch, continues for the whole song. On the headphones, it comes through on the left side. Not to mention Cooley at about the 5:25 mark. I think that one comes through on the right.

Had it cranking in the car last night and picked up on that "jumpy" guitar. The mix is all kinds of cool...