dbt tracks # 22 - Outfit

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Re: dbt tracks # 22 - Outfit

Post by never going back »

beantownbubba wrote:
Smitty wrote:to me, the most crucial (and meaningful) part of the song is the line "And don't let me catch you in Kendale with a bucket of wealthy man's paint"
I first heard this song at a time I was remodeling houses in Greystone (the ritziest subdivision in Hoover/Birmingham area) and it really spoke to me.

It's just the age old tale of a father wanting a better life for his son than the one he's led.

I gotta disagree w/ u there, Smitty. It's not "just" anything. This song is too good to be dismissed that easily. Actually, i know u have great appreciation for the song, but i "just" didn't like the way that sounded. :)

And while it is certainly partly about a father wanting a better life for his son, I'd say it's mostly about a father trying to get past all the fights, [mostly silly] rules, pontificating, reflexive no's, mistakes and general static of the relationship between father and son to the distilled truth and wisdom of a lifetime, telling his son THIS is what really matters, THIS, finally, is what I've learned after a lot of hard knocks and struggle, now take it, use it and pass it on...

I think the two most prominent themes in the song are humility and self-respect.
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

Clams

Post by Clams »

never going back wrote:I think the two most prominent themes in the song are humility and self-respect.

I think the two most prominent themes are family and family.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Clams wrote:
never going back wrote:I think the two most prominent themes in the song are humility and self-respect.

I think the two most prominent themes are family and family.

and clothes.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

mwh

Post by mwh »

I got into DBT around 2005 or so when I had a job that let me sit at a computer all day long. I used Rhapsody to listen to streaming music while I worked (irrelevant, but I was listening to mostly Alice in Chains and Dropkick Murphys at the time). Bored from my current music and looking for something new, I took a suggestion from someone to check out the Drive By Truckers. The name alone interested me - all bands need a killer band name - so I started from scratch with Gangstabilly, then the next day Pizza Deliverance, and so on. I listened to them all straight through without repeating any songs until I got to Outfit. When it was over I had my first wow moment with this band and listened to it 5 or 6 more times before moving on. This song is probably still my favorite DBT song just ahead of Tales Facing Up & One of These Days and might be my favorite song period. If I was to nitpick at all I'd say I wish there was a 3rd verse. The song is always over before I'm ready for it to end.

pallister

Post by pallister »

I have a similar story with a mix CD made for me awhile back. I was a big fan of SRO and TDS, but hadn't heard much of DD. The CD included 14 songs. Outfit was No. 10 and Decoration Day was No. 14. I would put the CD on while driving every day for weeks. On many trips to work, I would switch back and forth between tracks 10 and 14 the whole ride. That CD, which also included Marry Me, 18 Wheels of Love and Gravity's Gone, among others, solidified my love for the band.

mikem

Post by mikem »

I always took the " don't ever say your car is broke" line. Is only a sissy would say something like that.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

I always took the " don't ever say your car is broke" line. Is only a sissy would say something like that.

I always thought the sissy thing applied more to "Don't call what your wear'in an outfit." (Although maybe this line has more to do with not being wrapped up in material concerns.) For me the line about your car is more about taking the initiative to do something about your situation and don't give petty excuses.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

pallister

Post by pallister »

I think that's right. I take it as a metaphor, a way of saying, "Something's only broke if you refuse to fix it."

Smarty Jones

Post by Smarty Jones »

pallister wrote:I think that's right. I take it as a metaphor, a way of saying, "Something's only broke if you refuse to fix it."

Similarly, the lines that follow about not changing who you are, "Don't worry 'bout losin' your accent..." and "Don't sing with a fake British accent..." parallels that sentiment with the message, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
SMITH: Either I'm dead right or I'm crazy!
SEN: You wouldn't care to put that to a vote, Senator?

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

beantownbubba wrote:And while it is certainly partly about a father wanting a better life for his son, I'd say it's mostly about a father trying to get past all the fights, [mostly silly] rules, pontificating, reflexive no's, mistakes and general static of the relationship between father and son to the distilled truth and wisdom of a lifetime, telling his son THIS is what really matters, THIS, finally, is what I've learned after a lot of hard knocks and struggle, now take it, use it and pass it on...

I agree with this.

When I read that it also reminded me of 'Independence Day' by Springsteen. Just thinking out loud, but as this is one of my favourite Springsteen songs I wonder if it's contributed to my love of this song.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

lost-johnny

Post by lost-johnny »

Slipkid42 wrote:
Smitty wrote:
Slipkid42 wrote:If you don't like this song, you prolly need a Q-Tip. Words and music were meant for each other. The melody would've been enjoyable a 1,000 years ago. The heartfelt message of being content w/one's lot in life will be relevant indefinitely. A real Grand Slam of a song. A masterpiece.

I think alot of folks critique of the song is it's too sugary/pop-ish for DBT, which I don't get at all - altho I still think their best "pop" song (based on melody/catchiness) is Nine Bullets (subject matter aside)

Their versatility is what separates DBT from the pack. I love this 'pop' side of them. John Henry & Carl Perkins Cadillac might be more pop than Nine Bullets, but not really better than that one. The same band that does Outfit does Lookout Mountain, Women Without Whiskey, I'm Sorry Huston & The Wig He Made Her Wear. They're a hard band to get tired of.

Got my ears pinned for the Jason reunion show that the Rock Gods have dictated must happen.

The Rock Gods better make damn sure the reunion crosses the pond.

novisad

Post by novisad »

Just wanted to say how beautiful this song is.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Zip City wrote:whereas I interpreted it as "don't say your car is BROKE, because BROKE is bad english and will make people disrespect where you're from. Say your car is BROKEN"

Well, Jason cleared this up on NPR, and surprise, surprise, I was wrong. RevMatt's interpretation was the correct one
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

So does anyone have a favorite version of this song with Jason and Amanda playing? Especially maybe an acoustic version with just the two of them? I may be singing it for Father's Day and have an accompanist in mind to play violin.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:So does anyone have a favorite version of this song with Jason and Amanda playing? Especially maybe an acoustic version with just the two of them? I may be singing it for Father's Day and have an accompanist in mind to play violin.
Joni's tape from Rockwood Music Hall in 2013.
Dave

John A Arkansawyer

Vincent wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:So does anyone have a favorite version of this song with Jason and Amanda playing? Especially maybe an acoustic version with just the two of them? I may be singing it for Father's Day and have an accompanist in mind to play violin.
Joni's tape from Rockwood Music Hall in 2013.
Thanks! Turns out I'm not singing it that day, which is just as well, since I can probably get to see both the shows in Boulder now.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer