Brighter than Creation’s Dark turns fifteen

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Brighter than Creation’s Dark turns fifteen

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Released 1/22/2008. In hindsight it’s truly astonishing that they released a record this good after losing Jason Isbell. The record produced show favorites like Ghost to Most, Righteous Path, and Goode’s Field Road not to mention gems like Perfect Timing, The Opening Act, The Man I Shot, Lisa’s birthday and the incredible tribute Two Daughters and a beautiful Wife. Oh and the sublime Monument Valley. One of maybe five or six genuine masterpieces in the catalog.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

brettac1

Re: Brighter than Creation’s Dark turns fifteen

Post by brettac1 »

So hard to believe it's been that long. Undoubtedly in the top tier of DBT albums for me. Listened to it several times over the past six months and think it has a case for their best work.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

It is a remarkable record and ranks near the very top of their entire discography.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

Clams

Post by Clams »

BTCD was my entry point into the world of DBT. I heard Self Destructive Zones on XM radio one day in Feb 2008 while in my car at lunch. It was like being hit on the head with a sledge hammer (but in a goood way). I had never heard of DBT. I immediately checked them out online, next thing you know I was reading about rock shows, southern rock operas, Wes Freed, Scott Baxendale, Jason Isbell, etc. I bought BTCD the next day. The rest, as they say, is history. BTCD is still the DBT record I come back to most. It's got a great vibe, especially late at night.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Clams wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:46 am
BTCD was my entry point into the world of DBT. I heard Self Destructive Zones on XM radio one day in Feb 2008 while in my car at lunch. It was like being hit on the head with a sledge hammer (but in a goood way). I had never heard of DBT. I immediately checked them out online, next thing you know I was reading about rock shows, southern rock operas, Wes Freed, Scott Baxendale, Jason Isbell, etc. I bought BTCD the next day. The rest, as they say, is history. BTCD is still the DBT record I come back to most. It's got a great vibe, especially late at night.
If penned down, probably my favorite album as well. I'm just guessing here (and I'm sure someone has the data), but I think the most "Cooley-heavy" of all the DBT Albums. Maybe not totally fair with the Shonna songs in there, but has just always felt that way to me.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

nothing tops Decoration Day for me.

and oddly enough, that was my entry to the DBT world too; i think the initial record you hear from a band you grow to love always takes the top or near top position.

Clams

Post by Clams »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:35 pm
i think the initial record you hear from a band you grow to love always takes the top or near top position.
yes

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Clams wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:38 pm
i think the initial record you hear from a band you grow to love always takes the top or near top position.
yes
God, if I had a nickel for everytime Clams has gushed to me about Backstreet's Back by the Backstreet Boys...
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

It was my first "new release" album after I discovered the band (The Dirt Underneath tour).

I had bought SRO, DD and TDS after the tour, so I prefer those, but BTCD is still great. Perhaps 2-3 songs too long, but I great big swing by the band

I miss Neff's pedal steel SO MUCH
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Felt like maybe they had something to prove after the Isbell departure and they delivered in a big way.
Plus it gave us A Ghost To Most which IMO is a top 5 DBT track.

And yeah I miss Neff too.

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

My introduction to the band as well.

Perfect balance between the acoustic songs and the rock songs.

Plus, 7 Cooley songs.
Dave

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:06 pm
Released 1/22/2008. In hindsight it’s truly astonishing that they released a record this good after losing Jason Isbell. The record produced show favorites like Ghost to Most, Righteous Path, Gravity’s Gone and Goode’s Field Road not to mention gems like Perfect Timing, The Opening Act, The Man I Shot, Lisa’s birthday and the incredible tribute Two Daughters and a beautiful Wife. Oh and the sublime Monument Valley. One of maybe five or six genuine masterpieces in the catalog.
Gravity's Gone is on a Blessing and a Curse.

Great record, indeed, though. It falls just short of the "Big 3" for me; too much filler with the Shonna tunes and couple others.

Like most DBT records, there are songs on here I wish they played a lot more: The Opening Act, The Man I Shot, Self Destructive Zones, Perfect Timing, and the aforementioned The Monument Valley.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:48 pm

You’re correct, of course. Fixed.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

To me, maybe the most interesting thing is how much the Shonna songs have held up. “I’m Sorry Huston” in particular.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:15 am
Zip Up to Michigan wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:48 pm

You’re correct, of course. Fixed.
Hereby calling for TC's immediate resignation as Site Admin

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:17 am
To me, maybe the most interesting thing is how much the Shonna songs have held up. “I’m Sorry Huston” in particular.
Agreed. I think all three are solid tunes.

To me the weakest track is "You & Your Crystal Meth" and it's only a shade over 2:00 on a 75 minute album.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I’d still cull a few songs. “Bob” is a really clever song, but just doesn’t seem to fit. “Crystal Meth” is an interesting soundscape but not as fully formed. “Purgatory Line” has never worked for me.

I think from a production standpoint it’s the best sounding DBT album. I think some of Patterson’s most underrated songs are here. “Opening Act”and “That Man I Shot” don’t get a ton of love, but I absolutely love ‘em in certain settings.

This might be Cooley’s best album.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

nothing tops Decoration Day for me.
Same.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Iowan wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:06 am
I’d still cull a few songs. “Bob” is a really clever song, but just doesn’t seem to fit. “Crystal Meth” is an interesting soundscape but not as fully formed. “Purgatory Line” has never worked for me.

I think from a production standpoint it’s the best sounding DBT album. I think some of Patterson’s most underrated songs are here. “Opening Act”and “That Man I Shot” don’t get a ton of love, but I absolutely love ‘em in certain settings.

"That Man I Shot" just rips. One of my all-time faves live during the Neff years.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

brettac1 wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:38 pm
Iowan wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:06 am

"That Man I Shot" just rips. One of my all-time faves live during the Neff years.
Matt’s bringing something to that song that wasn’t there before imo. Hope they do it at HC.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

They could have cut this into a very strong 12 song album but I'm glad they released it as is. I like the White Albumish left turns the songs take, even if they aren't all fully formed.

Something triumphant about releasing something this good and diverse after the upheaval around JI leaving.

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

~50 shows I think I've only seen That Man I Shot once, though it may be zero honestly.
Also pretty sure I've only seen The Opening Act once too.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Hard to believe this album is that old.

I really didn’t love it when it came out. I came on board with A Blessing and a Curse. Things were so different then. There was of course an internet but you didn’t know every single thing that happened with every single thing you were interested in the second it happened in those days. I miss that. I say all that to say that when BTCD came out I didn’t know Jason wasn’t in the band anymore. So in addition to this album sounding pretty different I was wondering where he went and then after finding out wondering why John Neff wasn’t singing any songs and then realizing Shonna was now the third singer. It was a lot to get used to for somebody who was a relatively new fan and had loved the Isbell era.

It’s among my favorites now. I loved A Ghost To Most, Three Dimes Down, and The Man I Shot the first time I heard them.

I like the Shonna songs better than a lot of people seem to. I love Huston I’m Sorry, I think Purgatory Line is at least a good song and think the way it was recorded with the space that you hear is perfect, and I don’t hate Home Field Advantage.

Maybe I missed it in this thread but no love for Checkout Time In Vegas? Man that’s one of my favorite Cooley songs. You And Your Crystal Meth works for what it is to me. Not so much a song but kind of a pivot point on the album and serves to accentuate the atmosphere they were trying to create. Are there too many songs? I don’t know. I like it the way it is. To me the album where they jacked up which songs were included and weren’t included came on the next one but that’s another topic.

I miss Neff’s pedal steel on the outro on Ghost. Especially the way he would do it live.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

I got into DBT way later than most of y'all. (First album I waited to be released was English Oceans). I bought Gangstabilly through Go-Go Boots pretty close together and listened to whatever album grabbed me at the time until I learned them all.

I had a long drive for a hiking trip and took along BTCD to get better acquainted---good sprawling album for a long drive. That was 2012 or so and there is a stretch of road on Hwy 27 in the area of Spring City TN that I still associate with BTCD every time I drive through because that's where that album really hit me.

I don't get some of the criticism of "You and Your Crystal Meth." Hood delivered similar messages more eloquently on other songs, but I think the starkness of the sound and direct simplicity of the emotions in the lyrics is what makes it work. It's a hard song to hear because it makes me think too much about a few people, but it's one of my favorites on the album.
Let the outside air in

Clams

Post by Clams »

Cole Younger wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:40 pm

I really didn’t love it when it came out. I came on board with A Blessing and a Curse. Things were so different then. There was of course an internet but you didn’t know every single thing that happened with every single thing you were interested in the second it happened in those days. I miss that. I say all that to say that when BTCD came out I didn’t know Jason wasn’t in the band anymore. So in addition to this album sounding pretty different I was wondering where he went and then after finding out wondering why John Neff wasn’t singing any songs and then realizing Shonna was now the third singer. It was a lot to get used to for somebody who was a relatively new fan and had loved the Isbell era.

It’s among my favorites now. I loved A Ghost To Most, Three Dimes Down, and The Man I Shot the first time I heard them.

I like the Shonna songs better than a lot of people seem to. I love Huston I’m Sorry, I think Purgatory Line is at least a good song and think the way it was recorded with the space that you hear is perfect, and I don’t hate Home Field Advantage.

Maybe I missed it in this thread but no love for Checkout Time In Vegas? Man that’s one of my favorite Cooley songs. You And Your Crystal Meth works for what it is to me. Not so much a song but kind of a pivot point on the album and serves to accentuate the atmosphere they were trying to create. Are there too many songs? I don’t know. I like it the way it is. To me the album where they jacked up which songs were included and weren’t included came on the next one but that’s another topic.

I miss Neff’s pedal steel on the outro on Ghost. Especially the way he would do it live.
Good to see you Cole. Hope you're doing well brother.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Clams wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:23 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:40 pm

Good to see you Cole. Hope you're doing well brother.
Hey, man. Thanks. I’m doing great. Hope y’all are too. I stop by here every week or so. Need to post more.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:44 pm
Need to post more.
Yes, please.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard