PH & Cooley Solo Shows, November and December

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: PH & Cooley Solo Shows, November and December

Post by beantownbubba »

First, the elephant in the room: Patterson tripped over/forgot the lyrics to several songs (but recovered each time). Those who weren't there will be giggling or snarky but for those in the room they were just very human moments caused by a guy trying to give his all, both by reaching for songs he hadn't played in a while and investing each song w/ remarkable energy. Overall, I'd say it was very rock n roll: Spirit, emotion and soul over technical proficiency and, no surprise, handled w/ grace and wit by PH.

But like I said, the evening was wonderful, fucking fantastic, even. Patterson filled the room (that was maaaaybe half full of fans) with his personality and charisma, telling stories, laughing, interacting w/ the audience from time to time and singing the hell out of a great mix of songs. Billy Ringo probably got the most detailed "story treatment;" the actual person behind the character sounds like a really, ummm, interesting guy.

He opened w/ "Monument Valley" which was a great indication that we were in for a special night. I knew it was a rarity but I found out later that it is even much more rare in performance than I thought; I believe PH hasn't played it in over a decade. "Grand Canyon" was a surprise in the second slot and was almost overwhelming in its emotional impact (I think the ghost of Wes Freed may have added some currency to what is already a highly emotional song).

"21st Century USA" was dedicated to me (thank you Patterson!) and "Heathens" was dedicated to Kevin aka Kevidently aka Kevbot. "Shake and Pine" was of course for jimmyc.

It seems obvious that a song like "We will never wake you up" is best presented in a small quiet room w/ just a voice and a guitar and it was absolutely haunting.

"My Sweet Annette" reminded me both of how good a song it really is and gave me flashbacks to the early days of my discovery of the band.

"Miss Me Gone" was a real surprise to me; I don't know if I'd ever heard it live before.

"Righteous Path" is a real favorite of mine so I may not be the best judge, but I thought Patterson nailed it. Very powerful, the equal of most of the full band versions I've heard.

"Ballad of Cecil McCobb" is a new one. PH said it wasn't so much "about" Wes because Wes can't be captured in a single song but intended to be a song that Wes would really like and I'd say Patterson achieved his purpose.

While many people were singing quietly or mouthing the lyrics throughout, "Bulldozers and Dirt" was pretty much a full throated fun sing along and was a nice change of pace from the heavy nature of many of the songs in the set.

"Sink Hole" seemed to be a crowd favorite and proved that you don't need an electric guitar to rock out.

Patterson told a variation of the story he and Cooley have told before about "Welcome 2 Club XIII" and it was funny and surprisingly fresh.

PH just killed "The Driver." So to speak. Prior to hearing this version I would have said that a lot of the song's impact comes from the contrast between the elegiac lyrics, Patterson's vocals combined w/ the ethereal background vocals and the crunching guitars. But once again, rock n roll is a state of mind not a matter of amps. I haven't heard the song live a whole lot but this was the best of the ones I've heard.

Patterson added something between a mention and a verse about COVID to "Thanksgiving Filter" which was of course very timely fit perfectly into its slot as the first song of the encore.

"The Living Bubba:" What can I say? The greatness of the song is a given and Patterson performed it perfectly. I didn't cry, but my eyes were wet and my wife and I were hanging on to each other. A tour de force.

For another day: The astonishing number of songs in which Patterson sings about or in tribute to dead friends/colleagues/family. It's not like I'm not familiar w/ the songs individually but when so many are played in one set, it really stood out. But don't let that dissuade you if you have a chance to see the show. Not only should one always go to the show (DUH!) but it is a not to be missed event.

If I can figure out the tech stuff i'll post Patterson's set list (more of a set guide/reminder kind of thing) that Patterson gave to me at the end of the show (thank you again, Patterson).

Is the world back on its axis, clams?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:55 am
"21st Century USA" was dedicated to me (thank you Patterson!) and "Heathens" was dedicated to Kevin aka Kevidently aka Kevbot. "Shake and Pine" was of course for jimmyc.
I want "Assholes" dedicated to me tonight.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whoops
Last edited by beantownbubba on Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

cortez the killer wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:17 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
So self-aware! :D :lol: ;)
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

pearlbeer wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:31 pm
cortez the killer wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:17 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
So self-aware! :D :lol: ;)
:lol:

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Guess it'd be useless to deny
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

vanark

Post by vanark »

beantownbubba wrote:
First, the elephant in the room: Patterson tripped over/forgot the lyrics to several songs (but recovered each time). Those who weren't there will be giggling or snarky but for those in the room they were just very human moments caused by a guy trying to give his all, both by reaching for songs he hadn't played in a while and investing each song w/ remarkable energy. Overall, I'd say it was very rock n roll: Spirit, emotion and soul over technical proficiency and, no surprise, handled w/ grace and wit by PH.

But like I said, the evening was wonderful, fucking fantastic, even. Patterson filled the room (that was maaaaybe half full of fans) with his personality and charisma, telling stories, laughing, interacting w/ the audience from time to time and singing the hell out of a great mix of songs. Billy Ringo probably got the most detailed "story treatment;" the actual person behind the character sounds like a really, ummm, interesting guy.

He opened w/ "Monument Valley" which was a great indication that we were in for a special night. I knew it was a rarity but I found out later that it is even much more rare in performance than I thought; I believe PH hasn't played it in over a decade. "Grand Canyon" was a surprise in the second slot and was almost overwhelming in its emotional impact (I think the ghost of Wes Freed may have added some currency to what is already a highly emotional song).

It seems obvious that a song like "We will never wake you up" is best presented in a small quiet room w/ just a voice and a guitar and it was absolutely haunting.

"My Sweet Annette" reminded me both of how good a song it really is and gave me flashbacks to the early days of my discovery of the band.

"Miss Me Gone" was a real surprise to me; I don't know if I'd ever heard it live before.

"Righteous Path" is a real favorite of mine so I may not be the best judge, but I thought Patterson nailed it. Very powerful, the equal of most of the full band versions I've heard.

"Ballad of Cecil McCobb" is a new one. PH said it wasn't so much "about" Wes because Wes can't be captured in a single song but intended to be a song that Wes would really like and I'd say Patterson achieved his purpose.

While many people were singing quietly or mouthing the lyrics throughout, "Bulldozers and Dirt" was pretty much a full throated fun sing along and was a nice change of pace from the heavy nature of many of the songs in the set.

"Sink Hole" seemed to be a crowd favorite and proved that you don't need an electric guitar to rock out.

Patterson told a variation of the story he and Cooley have told before about "Welcome 2 Club XIII" and it was funny and surprisingly fresh.

PH just killed "The Driver." So to speak. Prior to hearing this version I would have said that a lot of the song's impact comes from the contrast between the elegiac lyrics, Patterson's vocals combined w/ the ethereal background vocals and the crunching guitars. But once again, rock n roll is a state of mind not a matter of amps. I haven't heard the song live a whole lot but this was the best of the ones I've heard.

Patterson added something between a mention and a verse about COVID to "Thanksgiving Filter" which was of course very timely fit perfectly into its slot as the first song of the encore.

"The Living Bubba:" What can I say? The greatness of the song is a given and Patterson performed it perfectly. I didn't cry, but my eyes were wet and my wife and I were hanging on to each other. A tour de force.

For another day: The astonishing number of songs in which Patterson sings about or in tribute to dead friends/colleagues/family. It's not like I'm not familiar w/ the songs individually but when so many are played in one set, it really stood out. But don't let that dissuade you if you have a chance to see the show. Not only should one always go to the show (DUH!) but it is a not to be missed event.

If I can figure out the tech stuff i'll post Patterson's set list (more of a set guide/reminder kind of thing) that Patterson gave to me at the end of the show (thank you again, Patterson).

Thank you btb. I appreciate you taking time to put into words what was felt in that room. I love that room for these type of shows - the audience was so respectful and made it possible for PH (and Cooley two weeks ago) to dig deep and get us to connect with them and the songs. I don't want to be presumptious, but I think the commitment the audience makes to the artist in those moments makes a difference in the performance. The audience was engaged and PH reciprocated. Just a casual Tuesday night show with one of our favorite musicians.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

cortez the killer wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:00 pm
Guess it'd be useless to deny
:lol:
Always go to the show

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thanks Bubba. Can't wait for Durham. Found it on FB

Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:
:D
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jonicont wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:10 pm
Found it on FB
Thanks. I did try (see "whoops" above) but my reach continues to exceed my grasp w/ anything remotely technical.

I assume it was posted on FB by one of the several fans who took a photo of it after Patterson gave it to me, which reminds me that there were a good number of HeAthens in the room which is always nice to see/experience plus I met a couple of new to me fans whom I hope will visit here and whom I hope to see again. I also brought a couple of newbies both of whom said the experience was "life changing." Who am I to disagree?

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:23 pm
. I also brought a couple of newbies both of whom said the experience was "life changing." Who am I to disagree?
Funny how that happens
Always go to the show

vt3pinandy

Post by vt3pinandy »

Hey Bubba,

Sorry Meghan and I did not get a chance to say hello in Boston the other night. I think we misjudged her pre show "snack" :o and that led to some interesting moments to say the least. We were on the front rail to the left and I nursed her through the night in a bit of a comatose state. Maybe we will see you in Hartford tonight and will make sure and say hello. We met you in Brooklyn last year with our friend Tracy who was from Newton also pre show and had a Sazerac. Happy Holidays if we don't see you tonight.

Andy

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

vt3pinandy wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:40 pm
Hey Bubba,

Sorry Meghan and I did not get a chance to say hello in Boston the other night. I think we misjudged her pre show "snack" :o and that led to some interesting moments to say the least. We were on the front rail to the left and I nursed her through the night in a bit of a comatose state. Maybe we will see you in Hartford tonight and will make sure and say hello. We met you in Brooklyn last year with our friend Tracy who was from Newton also pre show and had a Sazerac. Happy Holidays if we don't see you tonight.

Andy
Yes I remember meeting you and your crew in Brooklyn; that was a fun time. We also bumped into each other in Deerfield this past summer if I"m not mistaken. I'm sorry I missed you on Tuesday and I hope Meghan is fully recovered. UNfortunately I won't be in Hartford but I hope you have a great time.

vanark

Post by vanark »

I noticed today there is a typo on the PH tour poster. The show is in Fairfield CT, not Fairfax CT.

Clams

Post by Clams »

vt3pinandy wrote:
Hey Bubba,

and had a Sazerac.
Yep that's bubba's signature drink. So fuckin fancy!
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

ford911

Post by ford911 »

Cooley was really good last night in Austin. Really liked Cottonseed.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:54 am
vt3pinandy wrote:
Hey Bubba,

and had a Sazerac.
Yep that's bubba's signature drink. So fuckin fancy!
Good taste never goes out of style.

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

beantownbubba wrote:

Bubba, wonderful recap, as always.

Can't wait for TWO shows next week. Will bring tissues, and not just 'cause of allergies.
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Cooley - Paramount Stateside - 12/1

Normally I keep setlists on my phone, but we had seats right up front and middle. I mean, I could have unplugged his monitors if I wanted to... I was worried about my phone being distracting to Cooley and myself, so hopefully someone else grabbed it.

Cooley played standing up, which I actually liked better. He only played his Luau themed painted guitar.

Some of the highlights I remember included some cool versions of Filthy and Fried, Cartoon Gold, Primer Coat, Birthday Boy, Ghost and Uncle Frank, Marry Me, English Oceans, Perfect Timing, Flameout, Space City, Surrender, and closed with Imagine.

A few really cool moments:

WWW was played in open tuning, really down low and dirty. Cooly kept the same sort of pattern going and went into a really cool transition to Zip City. Kind of a weird pairing, but it worked.

Cottonseed: Cooley said he's often asked what the best show he's seen is, and Cottonseed comes from that show. He (roughly) said "the best show I've ever seen, and I saw Carl Perkins, was a gangster lecturing at a Church Youth Group....that shit blew my mind."

Earlier in the show Cooley was really doing a nice job with Pulaski and then (as we all know Cooley is prone to do) he forgot the lyrics. Now, I've seen him miss lyrics, repeat lyrics he just sang, sing the wrong lyrics or just play through as if they weren't there in the first place. But when he got to "She worked on losing her southern accent; Turned her back on her Baptist ways; Bought some clothes that barely covered her fair-skinned body; Went to Nashville and caught a plane". He just FROZE. You could tell it was a complete blank. He stopped playing and said "I thought that was going really well until I just totally blanked!" He and the crowd started racking their brains for the next words and a few of us said "airlock!", and he rightly said "yeah I was thinking that too, but it comes later...there's something else...I wish I had my phone with me!"

Then someone (me) said "shit, I've got my phone with me!" and I quickly looked up the lyrics to Cooley's song to read to Cooley. I barely got out "Well the clouds.." and he busted right back into it and nailed the whole song. It was a pretty cool moment.

Overall, just a great show. Cooley needs to come to Austin more often.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

phungi

Post by phungi »

great to see Cooley and Hood solo within a month of each other, but sure makes me excited for the next DBT show. Not much to add beyond what has already been said, but Patterson was in full story-telling-mode last night in Philly, and the crowd opted for "a story" over "a good song" as an encore. I counted 4 songs that were tributes to lost friends (Grand Canyon, Ballad of Cecil McCobb, Shake and Pine, Never Wake You Up in the Morning) and I admit the "5am phone call" line in Ballad of Cecil McCobb got the tears going. Grand Canyon solo, and The Driver solo were wonderful (as was everything else)

Set List:
Monument Valley
Grand Canyon
4th Night of my drinking
Uncle Disney
Leaving Time
21st Century
Heathens
Pauline Hawkins
My Sweet Annette
Ballad of Cecil McCobb
Righteous Path
Shake and Pine
Never Wake You Up
Old Timer’s Disease
Club XIII
Driver
White Knuckle WV
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

vanark wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:41 pm
I noticed today there is a typo on the PH tour poster. The show is in Fairfield CT, not Fairfax CT.

I can see Vashon Island from my living room & the ferry dock to go there is 3 blocks from my house. Thinking about it. Kind of depends on the health which is "challenging" right now. Also, it would be an expensive evening. Tickets are $40 + another $20 for the boat ride. We shall see. Also thinking about the Seattle date. Would be cheaper but not as cool, questionable neighborhood.

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

Coming in to the venue, Patterson related that Jess Barr, from Slobberbone, had died earlier in the day. He was clearly pretty thunderstruck, and it is a tale of the times (and our ages) that he THOUGHT the call was going to be about a DIFFERENT friend, who was not in great shape. The line in the new Wes tribute song about no good calls at 5:00 AM also applies at times to calls in the middle of the day.

If that feeling remained, it was channeled into an intimate yet raucous, passionate yet hilarious show, which alternated "hits" ("Grand Canyon", 2nd in the set, which sets a rather high bar from jump; a glorious "Heathens", "Tornadoes", "The Righteous Path", etc.) some true rarities, and even a few requests. ("George Jones"!) Lots of yarns, including ending with the story woven into song, "White Knuckle West Virginia".

He was in fine, fine voice, at times sounding positively sweet; like Cooley, his voice is getting better with age, now a well-controlled expressive instrument, still capable of raw power (the yells in "The Driver"), but also able to whisper without losing any directness and emotion. His guitar playing was sure and powerful, as always, reminding me as ever of Mike Watt's comment about D. Boon: "he handled that thing with AUTHORITY".

There were a couple of lyric drops, but like Bubba alluded to from a different show, that's the price you pay for deep cuts, a huge catalog, and an artist willing to explore it all, even in a world of hurt (not played).

Very much looking forward to night #2 tonight...
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

From last night at Motorco in Durham. Footage courtesy of Tyler Eaves.

https://youtu.be/LXd1D_GIaCA

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Setlists from this weekend. Will add more when I’m not on my phone.

Cooley Globe 12/9
Every Single Storied Flameout
Pulaski
Made Up English Oceans
Self-Destructive Zones
Cartoon Gold
A Ghost to Most
Natural Light
Gravity’s Gone
Space City
Women Without Whiskey
Zip City
Cottonseed
Uncle Frank
Birthday Boy
Perfect Timing
Filthy and Fried
Primer Coat
Marry Me
Love Like This

Cooley Lulu’s 12/10
Self-Destructive Zones
Filthy and Fried
Cartoon Gold
Where The Devil Don’t Stay
Surrender Under Protest
Primer Coat
Perfect Timing
A Ghost To Most
Checkout Time in Vegas (for Scott Baxendale)
Gravity’s Gone
Space City
Loaded Gun in the Closet
Women Without Whiskey
Zip City
Birthday Boy
Pulaski
Made Up English Oceans
Marry Me
Love Like This
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:37 am

Cooley Globe 12/9
Pulaski
Made Up English Oceans
Self-Destructive Zones
Cartoon Gold
A Ghost to Most
Natural Light
Gravity’s Gone
Space City
Women Without Whiskey
Zip City
Cottonseed
Uncle Frank
Birthday Boy
Perfect Timing
Filthy and Fried
Primer Coat
Marry Me
Love Like This

Cooley Lulu’s 12/10
Self-Destructive Zones
Filthy and Fried
Cartoon Gold
Surrender Under Protest
Primer Coat
Perfect Timing
A Ghost To Most
Gravity’s Gone
Space City
Loaded Gun in the Closet
Women Without Whiskey
Zip City
Birthday Boy
Pulaski
Made Up English Oceans
Marry Me
Love Like This
It was a fabulous weekend with Cooley in Colorado. Two very different shows and very different vibes.

Globe Hall is a pretty standard standing-room-only rock club, and the crowd behaved accordingly. It skewed younger, drunker, and louder. Most people there understood the assignment, but all it takes is a few at a quiet acoustic show to be pretty noticeable. One young lady materialized near the rail right before Cooley was about to go on, was pretty obviously hammered, and caused a little bit of friction with the people who had been standing there for an hour at that point. Then, about three or four songs in, she spontaneously went down hard. All seemed to be okay, but she and her group left the show at that point. Hope she's recovered nicely.

Saturday night in Manitou Springs was a seated show (which I understand to be Cooley's preference for these things). Aside from the shows themselves, the discovery of Lulu's was my biggest takeaway from the weekend. I've long been aware of it as a venue that hosts a lot of Americana artists, but had never made it down before--Manitou Springs is a little over an hour's drive from Denver, so a hotel is generally going to be advisable. It's an absolute gem of a venue: intimate and inviting and comfortable, with ample seating (at least the way it was configured on Saturday). I'm already scheming to make it down for another show here; I'm currently eyeing John R. Miller on 1/29.

As for the shows themselves, as others have said, Cooley is in fine form as a player and singer, and really seems to be enjoying these shows. I've enjoyed every solo show of his that I've seen, but I do prefer this version where he is on his feet, as it lets him stalk the stage and approximate the energy of the Rock Show.

Friday night had zero notable flubs of lyrics that I caught. When he introduced "Natural Light," he said something to the effect of, "Have you ever been reluctant to look down at your phone from the passenger seat of a car, because someone needs to be watching the road? That's what this song is about." He also invited the audience to whistle during the instrumental breaks between verses. I assume he wanted people to whistle the melody, but the most proficient whistlers in the crowd just did the loud, finger-aided tuneless sort of whistling. Cooley referred to one of these guys as "the Jimi Hendrix of whistling," and when the song was over gave us a hearty laugh and a devastating "bless your hearts." Ouch.

The opener of these shows was Kimberly Morgan York, backed on guitar by Scott Baxendale. Aside from the obvious connections to EZB and to the Truckers' guitars, respectively, I was not familiar with either of them as musicians. I enjoyed their set each night, despite not knowing any of the songs. She has a very pure and clean classic country voice, and Scott, as you might expect, is a fine guitarist. On Saturday night, Scott came out into the audience to sit with his wife and some friends one table over from us for Cooley's set. People around these parts likely know that "Checkout Time in Vegas" was inspired by/based on Scott, so it was very cool to see Cooley dedicate that song to him on Saturday. Seeing Scott take out his phone to record that performance was a very special moment that only a few people (read: you fine folks) who have spent the time going down this band's rabbit hole can really appreciate.

With a nod to Glenn, "Every Single Storied Flameout" is a standout among standouts right now. My wife and I each recently lost grandfathers who were preceded in death by their wives, so "Space City" hit especially hard both nights. "Filthy and Fried" is a revelation in its acoustic arrangement, taken much slower than the album version, which gives it a melancholy wistfulness that is almost overwhelming.

I somehow failed to get a t-shirt. When the show ended on Friday, no one seemed to be working the merch table on Cooley's side. Eventually, I was out in the bar and saw that Cooley himself was there chatting with people and presumably selling shirts (along with his son whom I recognized from his performance on Cooley's livestream), but I didn't make it back in, figuring that I had Saturday night to seal the deal. Then, on Saturday, Cooley's shirts just didn't appear to be at the merch table at all. I'll have to try to catch one online.

Colorado is fortunate that Cooley seems to like it here. I hope he makes it back next year. And it goes without saying that I am beyond excited for Homecoming.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:21 pm
Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:37 am

Cooley Globe 12/9
Pulaski
Made Up English Oceans
Self-Destructive Zones
Cartoon Gold
A Ghost to Most
Natural Light
Gravity’s Gone
Space City
Women Without Whiskey
Zip City
Cottonseed
Uncle Frank
Birthday Boy
Perfect Timing
Filthy and Fried
Primer Coat
Marry Me
Love Like This

Cooley Lulu’s 12/10
Self-Destructive Zones
Filthy and Fried
Cartoon Gold
Surrender Under Protest
Primer Coat
Perfect Timing
A Ghost To Most
Gravity’s Gone
Space City
Loaded Gun in the Closet
Women Without Whiskey
Zip City
Birthday Boy
Pulaski
Made Up English Oceans
Marry Me
Love Like This
It was a fabulous weekend with Cooley in Colorado. Two very different shows and very different vibes.

Globe Hall is a pretty standard standing-room-only rock club, and the crowd behaved accordingly. It skewed younger, drunker, and louder. Most people there understood the assignment, but all it takes is a few at a quiet acoustic show to be pretty noticeable. One young lady materialized near the rail right before Cooley was about to go on, was pretty obviously hammered, and caused a little bit of friction with the people who had been standing there for an hour at that point. Then, about three or four songs in, she spontaneously went down hard. All seemed to be okay, but she and her group left the show at that point. Hope she's recovered nicely.

Saturday night in Manitou Springs was a seated show (which I understand to be Cooley's preference for these things). Aside from the shows themselves, the discovery of Lulu's was my biggest takeaway from the weekend. I've long been aware of it as a venue that hosts a lot of Americana artists, but had never made it down before--Manitou Springs is a little over an hour's drive from Denver, so a hotel is generally going to be advisable. It's an absolute gem of a venue: intimate and inviting and comfortable, with ample seating (at least the way it was configured on Saturday). I'm already scheming to make it down for another show here; I'm currently eyeing John R. Miller on 1/29.

As for the shows themselves, as others have said, Cooley is in fine form as a player and singer, and really seems to be enjoying these shows. I've enjoyed every solo show of his that I've seen, but I do prefer this version where he is on his feet, as it lets him stalk the stage and approximate the energy of the Rock Show.

Friday night had zero notable flubs of lyrics that I caught. When he introduced "Natural Light," he said something to the effect of, "Have you ever been reluctant to look down at your phone from the passenger seat of a car, because someone needs to be watching the road? That's what this song is about." He also invited the audience to whistle during the instrumental breaks between verses. I assume he wanted people to whistle the melody, but the most proficient whistlers in the crowd just did the loud, finger-aided tuneless sort of whistling. Cooley referred to one of these guys as "the Jimi Hendrix of whistling," and when the song was over gave us a hearty laugh and a devastating "bless your hearts." Ouch.

The opener of these shows was Kimberly Morgan York, backed on guitar by Scott Baxendale. Aside from the obvious connections to EZB and to the Truckers' guitars, respectively, I was not familiar with either of them as musicians. I enjoyed their set each night, despite not knowing any of the songs. She has a very pure and clean classic country voice, and Scott, as you might expect, is a fine guitarist. On Saturday night, Scott came out into the audience to sit with his wife and some friends one table over from us for Cooley's set. People around these parts likely know that "Checkout Time in Vegas" was inspired by/based on Scott, so it was very cool to see Cooley dedicate that song to him on Saturday. Seeing Scott take out his phone to record that performance was a very special moment that only a few people (read: you fine folks) who have spent the time going down this band's rabbit hole can really appreciate.

With a nod to Glenn, "Every Single Storied Flameout" is a standout among standouts right now. My wife and I each recently lost grandfathers who were preceded in death by their wives, so "Space City" hit especially hard both nights. "Filthy and Fried" is a revelation in its acoustic arrangement, taken much slower than the album version, which gives it a melancholy wistfulness that is almost overwhelming.

I somehow failed to get a t-shirt. When the show ended on Friday, no one seemed to be working the merch table on Cooley's side. Eventually, I was out in the bar and saw that Cooley himself was there chatting with people and presumably selling shirts (along with his son whom I recognized from his performance on Cooley's livestream), but I didn't make it back in, figuring that I had Saturday night to seal the deal. Then, on Saturday, Cooley's shirts just didn't appear to be at the merch table at all. I'll have to try to catch one online.

Colorado is fortunate that Cooley seems to like it here. I hope he makes it back next year. And it goes without saying that I am beyond excited for Homecoming.
Fantastic write-up MM. Thank you.

LagoonField

Post by LagoonField »

Patterson Hood, Harvester Center, Rocky Mount Virginia, Saturday 12/10/2022

(photo: Patterson at the merch table signing autographs after the show)

Back of a Bible
Grand Canyon
Uncle Disney
Leaving Time
21st Century USA
Heathens
Never Wake You
Boys from Alabama
My Sweet Annette
Sands of Iwo Jima (for George A)
Miss Me Gone
Billy Ringo
Righteous Path
The Ballard of Cecil McCobb (for Wes)
Bulldozers & Dirt (with crowd sing along)
Old Timers Disease
Sinkhole
Welcome to Club XIII (Cooley in a dress looking like Cher)
The Driver
Encore: White Knuckle WVa

LagoonField

Post by LagoonField »

Patterson Hood, Harvester Center, Rocky Mount Virginia, Saturday 12/10/2022

(photo: Patterson at the merch table signing autographs after the show)

Back of a Bible
Grand Canyon
Uncle Disney
Leaving Time
21st Century USA
Heathens
Never Wake You
Boys from Alabama
My Sweet Annette
Sands of Iwo Jima (for George A)
Miss Me Gone
Billy Ringo
Righteous Path
The Ballard of Cecil McCobb (for Wes)
Bulldozers & Dirt (with crowd sing along)
Old Timers Disease
Sinkhole
Welcome to Club XIII (Cooley in a dress looking like Cher)
The Driver
Encore: White Knuckle WVa

litdimly

Post by litdimly »

Hey y’all! I’ve been enjoying all of the setlists and write-ups. Thank you!

I made a last minute decision to go to Patterson’s show in Highlands, NC on Monday, December 12th. So worth the effort, even with the white knuckle NC ride through the clouds home.

The venue was The Ruffed Grouse at Highlander Mountain House. I hadn’t been to Highlands in a couple of decades and wouldn’t have known about this intimate venue but for this show. Yes, it’s a restaurant with the tables moved out and there were chairs and benches and sofas and a long banquette and moody blue-sage paint on the walls and various taxidermy about.

Patterson was in a corner next to a real fireplace and a real fireplace poker. While there was no fire in the fireplace during the show (would’ve been too warm), there was a fantastic candelabra with a lot of candles, enough to make me take note of the exits. The place had a really good vibe, slightly gothic. The room was full, 60 - 80 people (maybe? I’m not good with such estimates).

I apologize for not keeping a setlist. If memory serves, it was similar to others from this tour. He opened with The Monument Valley which was perfect to set the scene. It was so quiet, you could hear… clumps of wax drop from the half-burned candles. (I’m not kidding; granted, it was fairly large clumps.)

He played for over two hours, remarkable and generous. The setlist included (incomplete and unordered): Grand Canyon, Uncle Disney, Tornadoes, Leaving Time (for the wife and kids), Heathens (for Rev. Matt), Sink Hole, Bulldozers and Dirt (sing along), Welcome 2 Club XIII, new song for Wes, The Driver, My Sweet Annette, We will never wake you up in the morning, Shake and Pine, The Righteous Path, White Knuckle WVA.

Random thoughts:

One man, one guitar: the Gene Autry via Baxendale.

Timelessness and longevity and perseverance: Uncle Disney - He mentioned that “40 years of decisions” turned into 50 and is now 60. Later he mentioned that the scene in Leaving Time is as true now as ever (and that Heat Lightning is a decade old). Got me thinking about timelessness and then he hit us with the fact that DBT is closing in on 3000 shows. THREE THOUSAND. And then Tornadoes was there somewhere, the ultimate testament to perseverance. So many times they could have walked away or not have even gotten off the ground, beginning with that first assumed prank phone call.

The encore was audience choice at the end, story or song. Story won by a landslide (surprise!) and I don’t recall a more enjoyable White Knuckle WVA because there hasn’t been one.