dbt tracks week #103 - Pulaski

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: dbt tracks week #103 - Pulaski

Post by Clams »

Interesting how the version you hear first kind of sets the tone for what comes later. I'd never heard Cooley's older, slower versions of Pulaski, so the pacing and sound of the Go Go Boots version sound just right to me.

FWIW, I always assumed that she fell in with the wrong crowd and it was drugs that got her. But like most Cooley songs, it could go a lot of different ways.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RevMatt wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
RevMatt wrote:I consider Dolly to be the best female songwriter ever.

:shock:

Joni Mitchell
Carole King
Ellie Greenwich
Lucinda Williams
Laura Nyro

For starters...

You wouldn't include Dolly in this group?!?!

The point is that you don't include Dolly in this group.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Madness.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

People still snort cocaine?
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

one belt loop wrote:People still snort cocaine?

She died a long time ago. Or at least the song was written a while back. I'm sure smitty can provide the relevant details. Sir?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

When they can't get it on donuts.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

When they can't get it on donuts.

14-day countdown to NOLA for me!
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

JimmerDette
Location: Somewhere in the Midwest.......waitin for the rock show!

Post by JimmerDette »

One of my fav Cooley songs.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

beantownbubba wrote:

She died a long time ago. Or at least the song was written a while back. I'm sure smitty can provide the relevant details. Sir?

The first time it was performed that I know of was in 2001, so it's atleast that old - but I can promise powder still gets snorted, every day.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Smarty Jones

Post by Smarty Jones »

Love, love, love this song - definitely one of Cooley's best.

I wonder if this is just me, or if any of y'all have noticed this as well - I have no gripe with the album version, it's still one of my favorite songs off of it. But I've heard this song played in both a stripped down setting and a rawk show setting live (as in I was there) and this is what I thought - When Cooley plays this song solo or as an acoustic duet with Patterson, it sounds insanely beautiful. The magic of the song is spellbinding. Like this video they did for the Mahogany Sessions:

But when I've heard it played at a full-on show, the only way I remember it was played is if I keep a running setlist. All the magic is gone and the song becomes utterly forgettable. I've apparently heard it twice in person at the rawk show and I honestly can't recall it in my memory. Maybe that's just my bad memory or something, but I do feel like a bit of the spark that makes this song so remarkable gets lost in the full-on electric band ensemble. I feel like this song needs the more laid-back acoustic arrangement to fully be appreciated. Perhaps Cooley should start swapping this one out of the rawk show set with Sounds Better in the Song. Sounds Better in the Song sounds so good with the electric treatment; Pulaski, not so much.
SMITH: Either I'm dead right or I'm crazy!
SEN: You wouldn't care to put that to a vote, Senator?

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

^^^^Agree.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

jeromejohn

Post by jeromejohn »

This song always reminded me of Townes Van Zandt's Tecumseh Valley, which was masterfully covered by Steve Earle on his classic album Train a Comin:

The name she gave was Caroline
The daughter of a miner
And her ways were free and it seemed to me
The sunshine walked beside her
She come from Spencer 'cross the hill
She said her Pa had sent her
'Cause the coal was low and soon the snow
Would turn the skies to winter

Well she said she'd come to look for work
She was not seeking favors
For a dime a day and a place to stay
She'd turn those hands to labor

The times were hard Lord the jobs were few
All through Tecumseh Valley
But she asked around and a job she found
Tending bar for Gypsy Sally

She saved enough to get back home
When spring replaced the winter
But her dreams were denied her Pa had died
The word came down from Spencer

She turned to whorin' out on the streets
With all the lust inside her
It was many a man returned again
To lay himself beside her

Well they found her down beneath the stairs
That led to Gypsy Sally's
In her hand when she died
Was a note that cried
Fare thee well Tecumseh Valley

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Great call jj. I never made the connection before. "Tecumseh Valley" is my favorite TVZ song.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:^^^^Agree.

I agree with Smarty's post as well.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

brett27295 wrote:This song has always reminded me of Elvis Presley's Long Black Limousine. Both have similar story lines, girl leaves small town and ends up coming back in a pine box.

Wish I knew what happened out there in California though lol. I guess we can all interpret it the way we choose.
Very, very similar to "Long Black Limousine". Good call.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

There is a bust of Casimir Pulaski, for whom that town and this county are named, not a hundred yards from where I type this. I'll give it a good look next time I walk by. Maybe now we'll need another:

‘It’s a woman. It’s not Pulaski.’: New documentary argues Revolutionary War hero was intersex
Nara Schoenberg wrote:When the skeleton believed to belong to the Revolutionary War hero Casimir Pulaski was first examined by modern scientists in the late 1990s, the results were disappointing.

“You’ll just have to shoot me,” a forensic anthropologist told the head of the scientific team, according to a new Smithsonian Channel documentary.

“It’s a woman. It’s not Pulaski.”
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

i don't remember this thread.

johnny cash tennessee two step shuffle back beat. angels singing in the fog. patterson delicate plucking. freaky deaky organ/pedal steel/accordian mash up.

studio version is a wonder to behold.

i've never really listened to the lyrics. what's it about?

a great song on a criminally underrated album.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

dime in the gutter wrote:i've never really listened to the lyrics. what's it about?
Small town girl makes good, American style.
dime in the gutter wrote:a great song on a criminally underrated album.
Preach it, brother!
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Clams

Post by Clams »

It' was mesmerizing when cooley played it at his solo show few months ago

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Named after an intersex Revolutionary War hero - https://www.history.com/news/casimir-pu ... -discovery

phungi

Post by phungi »

Smitty wrote:
Thu May 03, 2012 12:19 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
The first time it was performed that I know of was in 2001, so it's atleast that old - but I can promise powder still gets snorted, every day.
Stumbled upon this thread/post, and damn, it hurts...
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

phungi wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:15 am
Sure does. And not just 'cause of Smitty. Lots of people i'd love to see back here, even occasionally, and some really good commentary. Plus one of the few old threads that didn't make me cringe when I look back at my contributions.

Little known (at least to me) fact about Pulaski, TN: It is the birthplace of the Ku Klux Klan. I'm surprised that factoid didn't make it into the thread, but maybe it is as obscure a fact to everyone else as well. I don't think there's anything in the lyrics that suggests that this fact influenced Cooley's choice to use the town in his song, but who knows, maybe it could be the basis for a brand new interpretation of the song. Oh, Smitty, we need you. :cry: :cry:

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:43 pm
phungi wrote:
Sure does. And not just 'cause of Smitty. Lots of people i'd love to see back here, even occasionally, and some really good commentary. Plus one of the few old threads that didn't make me cringe when I look back at my contributions...Oh, Smitty, we need you. :cry: :cry:
TC posted two days ago that it was the 6-year anniversary of "American Band". At that point, I didn't know any of you existed. Despite that, with a lot of Heathens I think I've made up for a lot of lost time since.

But one of my real regrets in coming late to the party is missing a lot of this stuff, these to me pretty thoughtful threads (I know there's bunches that are...not) and not getting to meet Smitty at his brilliant best. The musical knowledge at his fingertips is astonishing, even in this robust company, and he cared about it so much.

As Phungi said, damn, damn, damn...
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

glennrwordman wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:24 am
beantownbubba wrote:
phungi wrote:
Sure does. And not just 'cause of Smitty. Lots of people i'd love to see back here, even occasionally, and some really good commentary. Plus one of the few old threads that didn't make me cringe when I look back at my contributions...Oh, Smitty, we need you. :cry: :cry:
TC posted two days ago that it was the 6-year anniversary of "American Band". At that point, I didn't know any of you existed. Despite that, with a lot of Heathens I think I've made up for a lot of lost time since.

But one of my real regrets in coming late to the party is missing a lot of this stuff, these to me pretty thoughtful threads (I know there's bunches that are...not) and not getting to meet Smitty at his brilliant best. The musical knowledge at his fingertips is astonishing, even in this robust company, and he cared about it so much.

Indeed. Imo the «boards» format, although perhaps antiquated, is superior to other platforms for these type of discussions. There are tons of great stuff in here for those willing to do some digging. There was another board before this one that was shut down around the time I got into the band and joined here, so I have felt similar regrets.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

RolanK wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:51 am
glennrwordman wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:24 am
beantownbubba wrote:

Indeed. Imo the «boards» format, although perhaps antiquated, is superior to other platforms for these type of discussions. There are tons of great stuff in here for those willing to do some digging. There was another board before this one that was shut down around the time I got into the band and joined here, so I have felt similar regrets.
Agreed. I was on 9B all the time for a few years but then much less here after it started. Now I've wound up circling back because I appreciate that stuff.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

It's pretty obvious which media platform I prefer, lol. I'm still not sure why there was such a mass migration from here to [mostly] Facebook, except for the mass migration of women participants which is a whole other depressing, regrettable story.

A lot of what happens here seems to me to be preferable to the equivalent discussions on FB (as of the last time I looked which was some time ago) but that's just one man's opinion. I joke (semi seriously) about some of the awkward or dated stuff that pops up in old threads, but on the whole I'm pretty happy with the quality and substance of discussions here. I guess message boards are like your dad's Oldsmobile, but I keep hoping for a turnaround rather than a complete wipeout.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:48 am
It's pretty obvious which media platform I prefer, lol. I'm still not sure why there was such a mass migration from here to [mostly] Facebook, except for the mass migration of women participants which is a whole other depressing, regrettable story.

A lot of what happens here seems to me to be preferable to the equivalent discussions on FB (as of the last time I looked which was some time ago) but that's just one man's opinion. I joke (semi seriously) about some of the awkward or dated stuff that pops up in old threads, but on the whole I'm pretty happy with the quality and substance of discussions here. I guess message boards are like your dad's Oldsmobile, but I keep hoping for a turnaround rather than a complete wipeout.

My new mantra is morphing into, "Take your blood pressure meds, put on your glasses and ALWAYS GO TO THE SHOW."
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Well pearlbeer the REAL fans wear Depends, but you do you!!!!

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Beaverdam wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:30 pm
Well pearlbeer the REAL fans wear Depends, but you do you!!!!
Haha. That reminded me of a quote during The Secret to a Happy Ending, "we wear diapers to the show so we never miss a song!", said by a drunken 20 year old co-ed.

I suppose everything comes full circle.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!