DBT tracks week 16 Tales Facing Up

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

DBT tracks week 16 Tales Facing Up

Post by Clams »

Truly one of my favorites. The shenanigans down by the train tracks never get old.
Still fuckin' up...

Me and my brother's old lady went out and got stinking.
She solved her curiosities about me by the railroad tracks.
She said I reminded her of him before he started drinking
and banging the babysitter every time she turned her back.

We opened up the sunroof and smoked a big ol' joint
and drank a case of Pabst Blue Ribbon, listening to the crickets and trains.
Every so often she'd lapse into narcotic ramblings.

Moon and mascara.
I've always been a holy terror.
Temptations lurking everywhere.
If your mind's in the gutter, beware!
You'll find me there.

Me and a friend were talking after the funeral.
She said it should have been me but I'm still around.
And I been so wild, I'm surprised I made it to the seventh grade,
when all my dead friends have settled down.

My eyes were puffy and she asked if I'd been crying.
I said "Tears are for pussies," but who was I kidding?
So we stopped at the bar and drank them dry.

Beer and tequila.
I've always been a thrill seeker,
but thrills are a dime a dozen these days.
And I found a dime in the gutter today.

Tails facing up.
Still fucking up.
Still fucking up.

A funny thing happened on my way to a strange way of thinking.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

bovine knievel

Re: DBT tracks week 16 Tales Facing Up

Post by bovine knievel »

This song plays like a movie in my head.

Moon and Mascara
Last edited by bovine knievel on Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tales vs. Tails

Discuss
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

One of my favorites :D
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Zip City wrote:Tales vs. Tails

Discuss

Tales = here's a "Tale" about me hooking up with my brothers ol' lady and a whole lotta other heavy shit.
Tails = ass up in the gutter from dealing with said shit!

My 2 cents

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

bovine knievel wrote:
Zip City wrote:Tales vs. Tails

Discuss

Tales = here's a "Tale" about me hooking up with my brothers ol' lady and a whole lotta other heavy shit.
Tails = ass up in the gutter from dealing with said shit!

My 2 cents

Typo that works.

Tales Facing Up is no doubt one of my favorite DBT songs, very unique - great sing along - my favorite track off PD
the 2nd verse (me & a friend were talking after the funeral...) is about Chris "Monster" Quillen's funeral (I either read it or heard it firsthand, cant remember) - he's such an integral part of the band's songs.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Smitty wrote:
CHRIS QUILLEN (MONSTER)

Ten years ago today I lost one of my best friends. Chris Quillen played guitar, bass, barrel-house style piano, drums, mandolin, sitar, and harmonica just to name the instruments I saw him play. He probably played a few more. I heard rumors that he was adequate on fiddle but I never saw him prove it. I do know that he had perfect pitch and one of the most beautiful and versatile singing voices that I have ever heard. He had a sense of melody that easily rivaled that of anyone I have ever met and was an amazing performer. He was also a great and hilarious guy. I loved him dearly, as did everyone else I know that ever met him. Next to my grandparents, he is the closest person to me that I ever lost and it still hurts ten years later with nearly the same intensity that it did ten years ago.

I heard about Chris before I ever met him. Cooley gave guitar lessons at a local guitar shop and kept talking about this young kid who would come in the shop and play the living shit out of everything in there. Soon he was playing in several local bands, none, honestly nearly as good as he, but all improving exponentially upon his addition. Furthermore, he wasn't the same in any of these bands. Chris was a true musical chameleon in the grandest sense. If he joined a metal band, he became a metal guitarist. If he joined a pop band, he became a melodic wizard finding counter-melodies, usually far more interesting than the original. If he played punk, he played like a punk. His country was as flawless and impeccable as his R&B. His blues was very black. He seldom sang lead, but was to this day the best harmony singer I ever met. When he sang with me, he mimicked my voice as he harmonized with me as if I was dubbing both parts, except that he could take his places that I never dreamt of reaching.

Shortly before my band Adam's House Cat broke up (in 1991) our bassist left the band and Chris, who preferred to play guitar and was already busy in a fulltime band, agreed to play with us until we found a fulltime replacement. The three months that he played in that band were the best times, musical and personal, of the six years that band played together. He literally learned our show in 2 days and played it flawlessly for the first time in Birmingham AL at The Nick.

Only jambox cassettes exist of the shows and rehearsals we had together that summer. We worked up a handful of brand new songs, the best of which "Pollyanna" I recently recorded for my next solo album. In fact there are few recordings of him at all, as sadly most of his work was in the live performance realm, something I'm sure he would have corrected if time had allowed.

A week or so after joining Adam's House Cat, Chris suffered a mishap in which he broke his right hand. He didn't have insurance, but found a doctor who was willing to set his hand in a plaster cast. Unfortunately, we had a show a few nights later and he found the cast too restricting to play, so shortly before sound check, he found a hacksaw and cut out two fingers so that he could improvise the bass parts and get us through the show. His hand never really healed correctly and although it never seemed to impair his playing, I'm sure it eventually would have caused him a lot of grief, but he was never one to think of things in that way. To him, he had a job to do and did what he had to do to pull it off. He was just made that way.

At the end of that summer, Cooley and I moved to Memphis in hopes of relocating the band there. We broke up instead, but never shook the notion of playing again with Chris. Our dream was to maybe one day form a band where all three of us played guitar, although we would have been first to admit that the notion of a band having three guitarists is pretty ridiculous and certainly seemed outdated and stupid in 1991. Instead, Cooley and I moved from Memphis to Auburn AL and played as a duo called Virgil Kane while Quillen played on in various bands back home in Muscle Shoals.

I moved back to North Alabama in early 1993 without Cooley, who I had fallen out with for a time. By this time Quillen had acquired the nickname Monster (I think our friend Jenn named him that, but I'm not sure) and we immediately began playing together under the name Prom Needles. In that band, I played acoustic guitar and he played electric guitar. Sometimes our friend Earl Hicks played this old air organ. I was really prolific in those days and wrote around 150 songs during the eleven months that we played together in that incarnation. Out of the overflowing notepads from that year, I had 30 or so keepers that made up the bulk of our shows then. An early incarnation of "Feb. 14" dates back to those shows.

Early in the tenure of Prom Needles, Monster had another mishap, this time breaking his left hand. Again, a doctor set his hand, and again, he took the hacksaw to it to cut out enough fingers to play his guitar. He played guitar better with nine fingers and a plaster cast than most people ever dream of with all their capacities.

I was very unhappy then and living back home was doing nothing to cheer me up so I saved every penny I could get my hands on to move to Georgia (Atlanta being my initial plan until fate changed it to Athens). Monster, on the other hand was in his element there. He had everything he needed and had no desire to ever move away. He didn't drive, and there he had an endless supply of folks who would gladly take him anywhere he needed to go, or bring him whatever he needed so that he didn't have to go anywhere. All he had to do was play and he did it all day, everyday. He would occasionally hold down some crap job (usually to buy a new guitar or something) but usually got by on very cheap living and a lot of playing.

Once I ended up in Georgia, I didn't get to see him very often. He would talk of coming to see me here, but with no car nor money it never really happened. Around that time I reconciled with Cooley and we would get together once a month or so and 4 track new songs that I was writing. Again, talk would return to dreams of one day having a band that included Monster. Talking with him was also a rare treat because he usually didn't have a phone and when he did, he notoriously never answered it. Playing with Monster meant arranging (in person) any practices or shows and always picking him up and taking him home. He was just that way.

In the fall of 1995, I planned a trip to a cabin in the North Georgia Mountains. Cooley and his gal Ansley came, as did Monster and Tim (Facok who currently works for DBT) and Rob Malone and some other close friends from back home. I brought a new friend I had recently met in Georgia named Jim Stacy. The cabin was very old, filled with antiques and heirlooms belonging to my then wife Donna Jane and her family. There was really nothing to do but sit around and much picking and grinning ensued.

Jim and his date Debbie brought a bunch of great old-timey country compilations featuring Porter, Loretta, Tammy, Faron, and tons of others that sounded like new nectar to my ears that had grown so weary of all the same old crap I had been listening to. Jim also brought a banjo and played us a song cycle he had just written about circus life called Big Top. Later, he staged it as a punk rock circus that also shaped some of my opinions about performance art, but just hearing the songs on banjo was like a light being turned on. Later that night, Rob grabbed the banjo (which I don't think he had played before) and he and Cooley and Monster and I stayed up until sunrise reinventing songs (old and new) and passing around the bottle. We had so much fun that we made plans to repeat what we had done over Thanksgiving weekend at a venue back home. By Thanksgiving, I had written a few new songs to include and we called this show Pizza Deliverance.

Pizza Deliverance was played with Cooley and I on guitars, Rob Malone on banjo, and Monster played drums. I have a video of the show and believe me, it was a total train wreck, but it was also the most fun I had had on stage in years. Among the songs played that night were "The Company I Keep", "Nine Bullets", "18 Wheels of Love", and "Box of Spiders". After the show we stayed up all night, drinking and making plans of turning this experience into a "real band" in the not too distant future. Later still, Quillen slept with Cooley's car keys stuffed down his underwear to make sure that he didn't do something stupid like driving his drunken ass home.

Quillen was always doing things like this. He was a constant reminder to "fasten your seatbelt" and not drive drunk. He was a believer that in order to live carefree, you must be a little careful. I can't count the times he hid someone's keys or talked someone out of doing some stupid shit that could get you killed or arrested. He had such an endearing way of doing these things that made it all the more effective.

I don't think I ever saw him again after that Thanksgiving weekend. I returned to Athens GA where my idea for a band morphed into a recording project I renamed Drive-By Truckers. I continued writing at a fast pace and trying to save up some money for a day of studio time to record some of these new songs. In March, I wrote "The Living Bubba" which was inspired by the final days of Gregory Dean Smalley and either a week earlier or later (can't remember now) I wrote "Bulldozers and Dirt."

The day I wrote "Bulldozers and Dirt" I was walking my dogs in the field behind where I was living. Our house at the time backed up to University land that was undeveloped and perfect for walking Aretha and Loretta. I was somewhere out there when the song hit me and I ran home as fast as I could to write it down before it was lost forever. In this case, I knew I had written a song that would be important to me and because when I heard it in my head it had Quillen's harmonies all over it, I couldn't wait for him to hear it. I knew that the odds of him answering the phone were next to zero, but I called him anyway and to my surprise, he answered on the second ring. Before even saying "hello", I sang him the song, a cappella, in its entirety. He was blown away, saying it was the best song I had ever written. We then talked for over half an hour, making grand plans for him to catch a ride to Athens with Cooley for us to record it and a few more. I was so excited that I went ahead and booked the studio time (June 10, 1996) and began casting the other players for the session. I never spoke with him again.

As I was working to put together my own band, I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to pick up some shows being backed by one of my favorite local bands The Possibilities. They agreed to back me up, under the name The Lot Lizards. We were invited, by Greg Smalley (right before his death) to play at Atlanta's famed Star Bar at their annual Bubbapalooza Festival. This was only my second time to play in Atlanta with a band and I was very excited to be there. After the show (May 25, 1996) I spent the night at my friend Amy's apartment in Atlanta. Amy was from back home also and the next morning we were awakened by a phone call from another friend who told her that Chris had been killed the night before in a car accident.

Nothing about Monster's death made sense to me (then or now). The next several days were a blur of tears, grief and disbelief. We all met up at Tim's apartment (where we had rehearsed Pizza Deliverance a few months earlier) and cried uncontrollably for days and nights on end. Quillen, who preached against drunk driving, was doing just that, sans seatbelt, when he hit a telephone pole and was killed instantly by a blow to the head.

His last night had been somewhat triumphant for him as well. His then band The Fiddleworms, had released their debut album that week and played a huge outdoor festival in downtown Florence AL to celebrate. Later that evening, they all convened at the singer's lake house and partied into the night down by the pier. Sometime before sunrise, Chris excused himself to go up to the house to sleep. Sometime later, in some kind of stupor, he took a car and evidently tried to make it to his own bed. The fact that he was killed on another side of town from where he was living only adds to the confusion and disbelief. No one who knew him understands any of this to this day, as the whole episode is completely uncharacteristic of him and all of his beliefs.

The night before his funeral, several of us had the exact same dream, in which he spoke to us clearly and candidly about what was up and what it all meant. I've never been one to put much faith in "out of body experiences" or ghost stories, but I awoke with vivid memories that I have to this day. Upon talking with several others, we all realized that we had had nearly the exact conversation with our beloved dead friend. I remember asking him if he was all right and he said he certainly was. He laughed in his trademark way about the irony of his having passed in such a ridiculous way. Towards the end of the dream I asked him if he would ever "visit" me again, but he said that it just didn't work that way. At this point, my dream took a turn that the others didn't, in which he said with a smile "watch this" and then, as if shining a flashlight onto a path in the woods, he showed me a path to follow, A path that I have followed ever since regarding my music and artistic life. The specifics of this are hard to explain, but it was literally like a road map that has led me from where I was then to where I am now.

On June 10, 1996, I convened at Andy Baker's studio in Athens GA with five friends. Half of us knew and loved Chris while the other half had never met him. We recorded five songs "Bulldozers and Dirt", "Nine Bullets", Margo and Harold", "Zoloft", and a brand new song that I wrote about Chris' senseless death called "Careless". To say we felt his presence in the room that day would be a severe understatement. Even those that never knew him could feel the electricity in the air that day and the performances, worked up on the spot, with no rehearsal, attest to it. Of the five songs, two ("Nine Bullets" and "Bulldozers and Dirt") were issued as our first single (on a long out of print vinyl 45). The take of "Margo and Harold" (the musical and emotional highpoint of the day) was later included on our second album, which we titled Pizza Deliverance. A few years later, we re-cut "Careless" for inclusion on our fifth album "Decoration Day".

Cooley and I recently celebrated 20 years of playing together. Rob Malone (who also shared the dream) joined our band in 1998 and played with us for three years, including our album "Southern Rock Opera". Our band will mark its 10th anniversary on the opening night of our upcoming tour opening for Black Crowes (Seattle is the opening city). A few of the songs we played together appeared on my first solo album, but with me attempting to sing his old harmony parts. He has made cameo appearances in various songs I have written, but never in a literal way. "Plastic Flowers on the Highway" tells of a friends death in a car accident, but under far different circumstances and his funeral is mentioned in "Tales Facing Up."

Chris' family erected a beautiful monument in the cemetery where he was laid, and area musicians still take guitars and leave offering of picks, and records and assorted musical memorabilia that he would like. The community has also started a scholarship program and a summer music camp in his name, which continue to this day. I still think of him all the time and try my best to honor his memory with my music and the band that he was supposed to have been a member of.

I haven't been to his gravesite since his funeral but the next time I return home, I intend to take my wife Rebecca, daughter Ava and my guitar to his monument and sing him a song. Maybe I'll have a new one for the occasion.

We love you Monster.

Patterson Hood
May 25, 2006 - Athens GA

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

bovine knievel wrote:
Smitty wrote:
CHRIS QUILLEN (MONSTER)

Ten years ago today I lost one of my best friends. Chris Quillen played guitar, bass, barrel-house style piano, drums, mandolin, sitar, and harmonica just to name the instruments I saw him play. He probably played a few more. I heard rumors that he was adequate on fiddle but I never saw him prove it. I do know that he had perfect pitch and one of the most beautiful and versatile singing voices that I have ever heard. He had a sense of melody that easily rivaled that of anyone I have ever met and was an amazing performer. He was also a great and hilarious guy. I loved him dearly, as did everyone else I know that ever met him. Next to my grandparents, he is the closest person to me that I ever lost and it still hurts ten years later with nearly the same intensity that it did ten years ago.

I heard about Chris before I ever met him. Cooley gave guitar lessons at a local guitar shop and kept talking about this young kid who would come in the shop and play the living shit out of everything in there. Soon he was playing in several local bands, none, honestly nearly as good as he, but all improving exponentially upon his addition. Furthermore, he wasn't the same in any of these bands. Chris was a true musical chameleon in the grandest sense. If he joined a metal band, he became a metal guitarist. If he joined a pop band, he became a melodic wizard finding counter-melodies, usually far more interesting than the original. If he played punk, he played like a punk. His country was as flawless and impeccable as his R&B. His blues was very black. He seldom sang lead, but was to this day the best harmony singer I ever met. When he sang with me, he mimicked my voice as he harmonized with me as if I was dubbing both parts, except that he could take his places that I never dreamt of reaching.

Shortly before my band Adam's House Cat broke up (in 1991) our bassist left the band and Chris, who preferred to play guitar and was already busy in a fulltime band, agreed to play with us until we found a fulltime replacement. The three months that he played in that band were the best times, musical and personal, of the six years that band played together. He literally learned our show in 2 days and played it flawlessly for the first time in Birmingham AL at The Nick.

Only jambox cassettes exist of the shows and rehearsals we had together that summer. We worked up a handful of brand new songs, the best of which "Pollyanna" I recently recorded for my next solo album. In fact there are few recordings of him at all, as sadly most of his work was in the live performance realm, something I'm sure he would have corrected if time had allowed.

A week or so after joining Adam's House Cat, Chris suffered a mishap in which he broke his right hand. He didn't have insurance, but found a doctor who was willing to set his hand in a plaster cast. Unfortunately, we had a show a few nights later and he found the cast too restricting to play, so shortly before sound check, he found a hacksaw and cut out two fingers so that he could improvise the bass parts and get us through the show. His hand never really healed correctly and although it never seemed to impair his playing, I'm sure it eventually would have caused him a lot of grief, but he was never one to think of things in that way. To him, he had a job to do and did what he had to do to pull it off. He was just made that way.

At the end of that summer, Cooley and I moved to Memphis in hopes of relocating the band there. We broke up instead, but never shook the notion of playing again with Chris. Our dream was to maybe one day form a band where all three of us played guitar, although we would have been first to admit that the notion of a band having three guitarists is pretty ridiculous and certainly seemed outdated and stupid in 1991. Instead, Cooley and I moved from Memphis to Auburn AL and played as a duo called Virgil Kane while Quillen played on in various bands back home in Muscle Shoals.

I moved back to North Alabama in early 1993 without Cooley, who I had fallen out with for a time. By this time Quillen had acquired the nickname Monster (I think our friend Jenn named him that, but I'm not sure) and we immediately began playing together under the name Prom Needles. In that band, I played acoustic guitar and he played electric guitar. Sometimes our friend Earl Hicks played this old air organ. I was really prolific in those days and wrote around 150 songs during the eleven months that we played together in that incarnation. Out of the overflowing notepads from that year, I had 30 or so keepers that made up the bulk of our shows then. An early incarnation of "Feb. 14" dates back to those shows.

Early in the tenure of Prom Needles, Monster had another mishap, this time breaking his left hand. Again, a doctor set his hand, and again, he took the hacksaw to it to cut out enough fingers to play his guitar. He played guitar better with nine fingers and a plaster cast than most people ever dream of with all their capacities.

I was very unhappy then and living back home was doing nothing to cheer me up so I saved every penny I could get my hands on to move to Georgia (Atlanta being my initial plan until fate changed it to Athens). Monster, on the other hand was in his element there. He had everything he needed and had no desire to ever move away. He didn't drive, and there he had an endless supply of folks who would gladly take him anywhere he needed to go, or bring him whatever he needed so that he didn't have to go anywhere. All he had to do was play and he did it all day, everyday. He would occasionally hold down some crap job (usually to buy a new guitar or something) but usually got by on very cheap living and a lot of playing.

Once I ended up in Georgia, I didn't get to see him very often. He would talk of coming to see me here, but with no car nor money it never really happened. Around that time I reconciled with Cooley and we would get together once a month or so and 4 track new songs that I was writing. Again, talk would return to dreams of one day having a band that included Monster. Talking with him was also a rare treat because he usually didn't have a phone and when he did, he notoriously never answered it. Playing with Monster meant arranging (in person) any practices or shows and always picking him up and taking him home. He was just that way.

In the fall of 1995, I planned a trip to a cabin in the North Georgia Mountains. Cooley and his gal Ansley came, as did Monster and Tim (Facok who currently works for DBT) and Rob Malone and some other close friends from back home. I brought a new friend I had recently met in Georgia named Jim Stacy. The cabin was very old, filled with antiques and heirlooms belonging to my then wife Donna Jane and her family. There was really nothing to do but sit around and much picking and grinning ensued.

Jim and his date Debbie brought a bunch of great old-timey country compilations featuring Porter, Loretta, Tammy, Faron, and tons of others that sounded like new nectar to my ears that had grown so weary of all the same old crap I had been listening to. Jim also brought a banjo and played us a song cycle he had just written about circus life called Big Top. Later, he staged it as a punk rock circus that also shaped some of my opinions about performance art, but just hearing the songs on banjo was like a light being turned on. Later that night, Rob grabbed the banjo (which I don't think he had played before) and he and Cooley and Monster and I stayed up until sunrise reinventing songs (old and new) and passing around the bottle. We had so much fun that we made plans to repeat what we had done over Thanksgiving weekend at a venue back home. By Thanksgiving, I had written a few new songs to include and we called this show Pizza Deliverance.

Pizza Deliverance was played with Cooley and I on guitars, Rob Malone on banjo, and Monster played drums. I have a video of the show and believe me, it was a total train wreck, but it was also the most fun I had had on stage in years. Among the songs played that night were "The Company I Keep", "Nine Bullets", "18 Wheels of Love", and "Box of Spiders". After the show we stayed up all night, drinking and making plans of turning this experience into a "real band" in the not too distant future. Later still, Quillen slept with Cooley's car keys stuffed down his underwear to make sure that he didn't do something stupid like driving his drunken ass home.

Quillen was always doing things like this. He was a constant reminder to "fasten your seatbelt" and not drive drunk. He was a believer that in order to live carefree, you must be a little careful. I can't count the times he hid someone's keys or talked someone out of doing some stupid shit that could get you killed or arrested. He had such an endearing way of doing these things that made it all the more effective.

I don't think I ever saw him again after that Thanksgiving weekend. I returned to Athens GA where my idea for a band morphed into a recording project I renamed Drive-By Truckers. I continued writing at a fast pace and trying to save up some money for a day of studio time to record some of these new songs. In March, I wrote "The Living Bubba" which was inspired by the final days of Gregory Dean Smalley and either a week earlier or later (can't remember now) I wrote "Bulldozers and Dirt."

The day I wrote "Bulldozers and Dirt" I was walking my dogs in the field behind where I was living. Our house at the time backed up to University land that was undeveloped and perfect for walking Aretha and Loretta. I was somewhere out there when the song hit me and I ran home as fast as I could to write it down before it was lost forever. In this case, I knew I had written a song that would be important to me and because when I heard it in my head it had Quillen's harmonies all over it, I couldn't wait for him to hear it. I knew that the odds of him answering the phone were next to zero, but I called him anyway and to my surprise, he answered on the second ring. Before even saying "hello", I sang him the song, a cappella, in its entirety. He was blown away, saying it was the best song I had ever written. We then talked for over half an hour, making grand plans for him to catch a ride to Athens with Cooley for us to record it and a few more. I was so excited that I went ahead and booked the studio time (June 10, 1996) and began casting the other players for the session. I never spoke with him again.

As I was working to put together my own band, I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to pick up some shows being backed by one of my favorite local bands The Possibilities. They agreed to back me up, under the name The Lot Lizards. We were invited, by Greg Smalley (right before his death) to play at Atlanta's famed Star Bar at their annual Bubbapalooza Festival. This was only my second time to play in Atlanta with a band and I was very excited to be there. After the show (May 25, 1996) I spent the night at my friend Amy's apartment in Atlanta. Amy was from back home also and the next morning we were awakened by a phone call from another friend who told her that Chris had been killed the night before in a car accident.

Nothing about Monster's death made sense to me (then or now). The next several days were a blur of tears, grief and disbelief. We all met up at Tim's apartment (where we had rehearsed Pizza Deliverance a few months earlier) and cried uncontrollably for days and nights on end. Quillen, who preached against drunk driving, was doing just that, sans seatbelt, when he hit a telephone pole and was killed instantly by a blow to the head.

His last night had been somewhat triumphant for him as well. His then band The Fiddleworms, had released their debut album that week and played a huge outdoor festival in downtown Florence AL to celebrate. Later that evening, they all convened at the singer's lake house and partied into the night down by the pier. Sometime before sunrise, Chris excused himself to go up to the house to sleep. Sometime later, in some kind of stupor, he took a car and evidently tried to make it to his own bed. The fact that he was killed on another side of town from where he was living only adds to the confusion and disbelief. No one who knew him understands any of this to this day, as the whole episode is completely uncharacteristic of him and all of his beliefs.

The night before his funeral, several of us had the exact same dream, in which he spoke to us clearly and candidly about what was up and what it all meant. I've never been one to put much faith in "out of body experiences" or ghost stories, but I awoke with vivid memories that I have to this day. Upon talking with several others, we all realized that we had had nearly the exact conversation with our beloved dead friend. I remember asking him if he was all right and he said he certainly was. He laughed in his trademark way about the irony of his having passed in such a ridiculous way. Towards the end of the dream I asked him if he would ever "visit" me again, but he said that it just didn't work that way. At this point, my dream took a turn that the others didn't, in which he said with a smile "watch this" and then, as if shining a flashlight onto a path in the woods, he showed me a path to follow, A path that I have followed ever since regarding my music and artistic life. The specifics of this are hard to explain, but it was literally like a road map that has led me from where I was then to where I am now.

On June 10, 1996, I convened at Andy Baker's studio in Athens GA with five friends. Half of us knew and loved Chris while the other half had never met him. We recorded five songs "Bulldozers and Dirt", "Nine Bullets", Margo and Harold", "Zoloft", and a brand new song that I wrote about Chris' senseless death called "Careless". To say we felt his presence in the room that day would be a severe understatement. Even those that never knew him could feel the electricity in the air that day and the performances, worked up on the spot, with no rehearsal, attest to it. Of the five songs, two ("Nine Bullets" and "Bulldozers and Dirt") were issued as our first single (on a long out of print vinyl 45). The take of "Margo and Harold" (the musical and emotional highpoint of the day) was later included on our second album, which we titled Pizza Deliverance. A few years later, we re-cut "Careless" for inclusion on our fifth album "Decoration Day".

Cooley and I recently celebrated 20 years of playing together. Rob Malone (who also shared the dream) joined our band in 1998 and played with us for three years, including our album "Southern Rock Opera". Our band will mark its 10th anniversary on the opening night of our upcoming tour opening for Black Crowes (Seattle is the opening city). A few of the songs we played together appeared on my first solo album, but with me attempting to sing his old harmony parts. He has made cameo appearances in various songs I have written, but never in a literal way. "Plastic Flowers on the Highway" tells of a friends death in a car accident, but under far different circumstances and his funeral is mentioned in "Tales Facing Up."

Chris' family erected a beautiful monument in the cemetery where he was laid, and area musicians still take guitars and leave offering of picks, and records and assorted musical memorabilia that he would like. The community has also started a scholarship program and a summer music camp in his name, which continue to this day. I still think of him all the time and try my best to honor his memory with my music and the band that he was supposed to have been a member of.

I haven't been to his gravesite since his funeral but the next time I return home, I intend to take my wife Rebecca, daughter Ava and my guitar to his monument and sing him a song. Maybe I'll have a new one for the occasion.

We love you Monster.

Patterson Hood
May 25, 2006 - Athens GA

Yup that's it - thanks for posting it - his ghost pops up in many of their songs (Marry Me, Plastic Flowers, Tales Facing Up, Careless etc)

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Full interview here: http://athensmusic.net/newsdesk_info.php?newsdesk_id=121

I had hopes to talk about your entire career, but if one had to sum it up, can it be divided into phases and are there any phases you're happier with than others?
PH: 1973-1985 would be pre-Adam's House Cat, where I was basically writing all the time and attempting to find someone compatible to play with and dreaming of someday playing in a band. I was in school and basically miserable, but I wrote close to 2000 songs. All I did was write and party. Since I didn't have a medium to play the songs I was writing, only a handful of people even knew I was doing it. I filled notebook after notebook with songs (mostly dreadful songs that I'm now glad no one heard). From writing so many horrible songs, I learned how to write a good one or two and those days have really served me since.

1985-1991 - Adam's House Cat: I met Cooley and we were men obsessed. We didn't get along worth a shit, fighting constantly but there was a chemistry between us that we eventually came to terms with. We were convinced we were playing in a great band and couldn't for the life of us understand why no one else could see (hear) it. I wrote several hundred songs in those years and the band culled our shows from over 150 songs that we had worked up. We never sold out a single show of ANY size. Everyone hated us except a small handful of fanatics, most of whom I knew my name and many of whom I'm still friends with. Jenn Bryant, who does our DBT website was among them. We practiced several nights a week for six years in my Grandmother's basement. We made 1 album that never came out. When I listen to it today, I can't stand my voice, as I really hadn't learned how to sing at all (maybe that's why everyone hated us) but some of the songs were really good ("Tornadoes" and "Lookout Mountain" both were originally AHC songs as was "Buttholeville") and we did play our asses off. Chuck Tremblay was an incredible drummer.

1991-1994 - Virgil Kane, Horsepussy and Prom Needles: This was a period of terrible personal turmoil and rediscovery. I wrote more songs in those years than at any point in my life. VK was mine and Cooley's acoustic duo. We were pretty good but going nowhere. Horsepussy was our miserable attempt at forming another band. It failed and Cooley and I didn't speak for a couple of years. Prom Needles was my duo (sometimes trio) with Chris Quillen (sometimes Earl Hicks). We were prolific as hell and pretty good. Chris was in AHC for a short time right before we broke up and was maybe the best player I ever met. He was supposed to be an original member of DBT but was killed in a car wreck a few weeks before we recorded our first songs. His death affected Cooley and I very greatly. "Nine Bullets" came from those years. It was during this period that I came to realize that I may never have any tangible success, but it's what I do and I'll be doing it forever no matter what. I literally wrote 200 songs a year a couple of those years and grew as a writer exponentially.

1994-1995 - Solo in Athens GA.: I moved to Athens on April Fools Day 1994. Around that time, Cooley and I reconciled and began 4-tracking some new songs I was writing. By then he was writing too (he never wrote in AHC, although I was always sure he'd be a good writer if he ever bothered). The genesis of Murdering Oscar came from this period. I was finally getting my life together and was more optimistic than I had ever been. I fell in love with Athens and it really liberated me artistically.

1996-Present - Drive-By Truckers: Even though DBT never found tangible success until Southern Rock Opera (2001), we were so well received relative to what I had done before, it never really occurred to me that we weren't already being successful. We sold out The Star Bar in ‘97 and I had never played a sold out show before that in 12 years. 250 people, but to me it might as well have been Madison Square Gardens. DBT has been my Huckleberry Finn story of adventure and intrigue. Someday I'll write that book, as that's really how it's all felt to me.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

"DBT has been my Huckleberry Finn story of adventure and intrigue. Someday I'll write that book, as that's really how it's all felt to me."
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

Thanks for posting Patterson's write up on Chris Quillen. Really interesting. And also, not that it needs to be said, but PH writes really well.

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

Fantastic song filled with so many great lines. I love to see it live.
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

sums up alot of their greatness for me. amazing song.

never noticed the tales/tails thing.

Clams

Post by Clams »

More on Chris Quillen, who would've been a trucker...

CHRIS QUILLEN'S MONSTER TALENT FOR MUSIC AND FRIENDSHIP

“Hey man! Pull in here. Quick!” Chris Quillen was jerking his thumb toward the Madison Square Mall parking lot. We were driving from Florence, Alabama to a small venue called Vapors, 75 miles east, in Huntsville. Warren Haynes and Allen Woody of the Allman Brothers Band had recently teamed up with drummer Matt Abts to form a project they were calling Gov’t Mule. The Mule was playing at Vapors and Record Producer Johnny Sandlin suggested I take some of my handmade guitars to show Warren. Armed with the referral, I invited Chris to go with me. Chris was always great company, but I had no idea what he was up to when he got out of the truck, said “I’ll be right back” and disappeared into the Mall.

If Duane Allman arrived in 1968 as the first free spirit on the Muscle Shoals music scene, Chris Quillen was the Shoals’ second incarnation of that spirit. Blond hair flowing down below his shoulders, an impish grin, a wickedly spot-on sense of humor, good will towards everyone, and guitar playing that flowed so effortlessly a friend once remarked to me “It’s a crime to make it look that easy,” Chris lived to make music. And, like Duane, his talent for friendship and guitar playing drew a fiercely devoted network that supported his music endeavors. Chris, who didn’t own a car during the time I knew him, even had devotees among the local police. They would carry him wherever he needed to go in a squad car whenever he flagged them down for a ride. Duane’s nickname was “Skydog,” because of his exuberant personality and his mutton chops; Chris’s nickname was “Monster,” because he was a monster guitar player.

Read the whole piece here: http://www.bentnoteblog.com/?p=93

Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

He may well have been face down in the gutter when that coin was found, but it was also tails, as opposed to heads.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Patterson introduced this song the other night in Philly as "our little Fuck You to Hank Jr." I don't think I've heard about a Hank Jr connection to this song before. Anyone know what's up with this?

Sidenote: It's kinda hard to believe that I started this thread about 8 years ago. :shock:

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Clams wrote:Patterson introduced this song the other night in Philly as "our little Fuck You to Hank Jr." I don't think I've heard about a Hank Jr connection to this song before. Anyone know what's up with this?

Sidenote: It's kinda hard to believe that I started this thread about 8 years ago. :shock:
Patterson wrote "Wifebeater" for Tammy Wynette and subsequently she died, so he figured he'd write one for Bocephus and see if the causation held true. :lol:

Junior also inspired "Why Henry Drinks" ("hank, why do you drink?")

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Clams wrote:Patterson introduced this song the other night in Philly as "our little Fuck You to Hank Jr." I don't think I've heard about a Hank Jr connection to this song before. Anyone know what's up with this?

He introduced it at a show one time (and this is completely from memory) saying that he was listening to a lot of country at the time and decided to write a few songs in the style of various country artists (or as a tribute or maybe even a "fuck you"). Tales Facing Up was the song with the Hank Jr connection/influence etc.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

I was taking the trash out the the curb tonight and spotted something shiny in the gutter. It was a dime. Heads facing up though.

Definitely the first time I've found a dime in the gutter since I knew Pizza Deliverance. I was so happy because it put the song in my head, but there was nobody around --- much less anyone who would have known the reference.

----
So just two posts up on this thread is Smitty. Still can't believe he and Rod are gone.

I said "tears are for pussies," but who was I kidding
Let the outside air in

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Well said, my friend, well said!
schlanky wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:43 pm
I was taking the trash out the the curb tonight and spotted something shiny in the gutter. It was a dime. Heads facing up though.

Definitely the first time I've found a dime in the gutter since I knew Pizza Deliverance. I was so happy because it put the song in my head, but there was nobody around --- much less anyone who would have known the reference.

----
So just two posts up on this thread is Smitty. Still can't believe he and Rod are gone.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Beaverdam wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:16 pm
Well said, my friend, well said!
x2
schlanky wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:43 pm

----

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Top tier song.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

WarHenRecords wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:59 pm
Top tier song.
Agreed. IMO, "Tales Facing Up" > "The Company I Keep."
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?